NLRB rules that Northwestern players cannot form union
08-17-2015 11:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lurker Above Online
1st String

I Root For: UGA
RE: NLRB rules that Northwestern players cannot form union
(08-17-2015 11:25 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...nlrb-rules

This is a big deal and great news for private schools and all schools in very union friendly states. An opposite ruling could have one day led to the privates, and public schools in CA and other union strong states who might not vote to exempt their state schools from unionizing, to be separated from the rest of the P5/G5 flock.
08-17-2015 11:50 AM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(08-17-2015 11:50 AM)Lurker Above Wrote:  
(08-17-2015 11:25 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...nlrb-rules

This is a big deal and great news for private schools and all schools in very union friendly states. An opposite ruling could have one day led to the privates, and public schools in CA and other union strong states who might not vote to exempt their state schools from unionizing, to be separated from the rest of the P5/G5 flock.

COGSCOGSCOGS

Not over but a good ruling.
08-17-2015 11:55 AM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
Wow this is odd. This is the same NLRB that wouldn't let Boeing move to South Carolina from Oregon/Washington? I like the ruling, but I am even more surprised it happened 02-13-banana
08-17-2015 12:16 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
I don't know how to feel about this. If I was hoping they could formally unionize, it was because student athletes felt they couldn't utilize the "student" part at a place like Northwestern with the fuzzy and easily abused rules for football operations/practices, and this could have done something in their favor. Obviously, far from idyllic, but something.

It's as if you have to accept football scholarships for what they are: you are separate and not equal to those other students who get to study at such institutions. Doesn't matter if you're held to the same admission standards. Doesn't necessarily matter if you can still perform academically. You don't control your time at these places as you should be able to.

Here's hoping a better conversation and action plan can happen with all stakeholders able to speak.
08-17-2015 12:43 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Well this affects the NW players voting to unionize, but the bigger ruling is whether or not the athletes are considered employees. Not out of the woods on this yet.

I wonder if the results will be made public with the Northwestern athletes vote to unionize or not.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2015 12:49 PM by MWC Tex.)
08-17-2015 12:45 PM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
A large reason for wanting to organize per NU players was to ensure health care coverage would continue for players hurt during competition. Universities are not obligated to care for players hurt during competition once they have exhausted their eligibility which I believe is BS.

Watch the latest HBO documentary about injured former players being required to pay the sports program team doctors to treat them for injuries suffered during their playing careers. It sucks.
08-17-2015 12:46 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(08-17-2015 12:45 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  I wonder if the results will be made public with the Northwestern athletes vote to unionize or not.

According to the article, they will be destroyed without ever being counted.
08-17-2015 12:48 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
I don't really care either way about this but I do find it odd that it happened the first possible business day after the August 15th deadline.
08-17-2015 06:58 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
(08-17-2015 06:58 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I don't really care either way about this but I do find it odd that it happened the first possible business day after the August 15th deadline.

B1G related. Remember during the B1G media days when Delany was asked about it and he was as cool as a bird about what he would have to do if they passed it.

Translation = he already knew the result. The guy was 100 percent stress free when asked that question.
08-17-2015 07:25 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
I am well aware that the way this played out smells heavily of a heaping pile of cash being passed around a large table in a smoke filled room.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2015 08:06 PM by He1nousOne.)
08-17-2015 08:05 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
(08-17-2015 08:05 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I am well aware that the way this played out smells heavily of a heaping pile of cash being passed around a large table in a smoke filled room.

Well, maybe Lauren "made a deal" with Delany to snip this in the but since she is a graduate of a certain school in Texas.... 07-coffee3
08-17-2015 08:30 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
These kids are not in the Pros, and they are not employees. They are there to learn to better their education since not everybody would make it in the NFL. You got to wonder if the saying is true that they are a bunch of dumb jocks.
08-17-2015 10:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
I hope to see this strung out for longer. For one, I enjoy watching the Ivory Tower fight The Unions. It's hilarious to watch the completely artificial hegemony between them crumble. For two, I wouldn't be shedding many tears if the Rust Belt, New England, and Pacific Coast went their own way. Granted, I'm a highly bitter disillusioned libertarian, but I don't think that is an isolated sentiment. Most of the fans I know in the Deep South root for their team, whoever plays their rival, their conference, and Southern teams ... in that order. Maybe with a "whoever is playing ND" or another rival thrown in somewhere.
08-18-2015 12:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.