4 star rb to enroll at Marshall.
08-16-2015 09:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
RE: 4 star rb to enroll at Marshall.
We shouldn't take him cause momma says props are the debil.
08-16-2015 10:16 PM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
Que the jealous haterade comments in 3....2....1....
08-17-2015 12:21 AM
cr11owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
(08-17-2015 12:21 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  Que the jealous haterade comments in 3....2....1....

I'm sure he's a good football player but doesn't it just hurt you to see your school take non-qualifying players? Have you looked at the standards recently?

Edit: http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2011/12/1...ge-sports/
It looks like the standards go up a little next year. Hard to believe any university will let students in below these marks...
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2015 06:12 AM by cr11owl.)
08-17-2015 05:52 AM
bonegreen Offline
2nd String

well, I watched Vinny Curry on TV a coupla nights ago in the league.
08-17-2015 06:03 AM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
(08-17-2015 12:21 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  Que the jealous haterade comments in 3....2....1....

BREAKING...

Copernicus theorizes Sun at center of our planetary system rather than Marshall Football. Pope outraged!
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2015 06:13 AM by paintedblue2.)
08-17-2015 06:12 AM
Advertisement

bonegreen Offline
2nd String

When the league quits taking JUCOs who were ineligible I might re-visit my feelings on this. Herd that WKU signed 12 last yr alone. And prep school kids are often NQs too. NQs are the reason Marshall will never go the AAC. At least I sure hope that's how they think.
08-17-2015 06:27 AM
Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

I Root For: The Herd

CrappiesCrappies
(08-17-2015 05:52 AM)cr11owl Wrote:  I'm sure he's a good football player but doesn't it just hurt you to see your school take non-qualifying players?

Not at all.
08-17-2015 06:34 AM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
I see NO difference in taking NQ's and letting them enter school on their own dime, attempt to get their grades up to qualifying, and then offering them a scholarship. If they make the grade, then they can play. If they, don't they can't. HOw's this any different than JC or going to Prep School, which many, many schools do when talking to these same commits. Marshall has long had a commitment to giving students a chance.
08-17-2015 06:38 AM
cr11owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
(08-17-2015 06:38 AM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  I see NO difference in taking NQ's and letting them enter school on their own dime, attempt to get their grades up to qualifying, and then offering them a scholarship. If they make the grade, then they can play. If they, don't they can't. HOw's this any different than JC or going to Prep School, which many, many schools do when talking to these same commits. Marshall has long had a commitment to giving students a chance.

The difference is your admissions department let in someone who either A) didn't have a C average in HS or B) Can't meet the sliding scale requirements which basically require you to show up to the SAT/ACT and guess a handful of questions correctly. You get more than half the points you need to qualify by putting your name on the test.

If someone wants to go to JUCO and bring their grades up and maybe show it was something else impacting their academics then I'd be fine with that.
08-17-2015 06:49 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(08-17-2015 06:38 AM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  I see NO difference in taking NQ's and letting them enter school on their own dime, attempt to get their grades up to qualifying, and then offering them a scholarship. If they make the grade, then they can play. If they, don't they can't. HOw's this any different than JC or going to Prep School, which many, many schools do when talking to these same commits. Marshall has long had a commitment to giving students a chance.

as a general student (not even just athletes) you can have bad grades in high school get goods grades in JC and transfer to a great school and get accepted

students with horrific grades in high school dont get into good schools to be given a chance to get their grades up

how have marshall fans equated those 2 to the same thing..

1) go to a school where there is no academic standard to improve your grades then we'll invite you in
2) we don't care about any remote bare minimum academic standard, you can all come to my school, your grades don't matter..oh and by the way we like to claim we are a great academic institution
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2015 07:04 AM by pesik.)
08-17-2015 07:02 AM
Advertisement

ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee

Actually, I guess I don't blame you on this one. I mean can you update us on how many of your signess from this year's recruiting class actually made it to campus?
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2015 07:27 AM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
08-17-2015 07:26 AM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(08-17-2015 06:27 AM)bonegreen Wrote:  When the league quits taking JUCOs who were ineligible I might re-visit my feelings on this. Herd that WKU signed 12 last yr alone. And prep school kids are often NQs too. NQs are the reason Marshall will never go the AAC. At least I sure hope that's how they think.

quit being a butthurt retard corky just because some people question marshall recruiting the south florida special ed departments.

i had no idea how many jucos we recruited last year but since you keep saying 12 i had to go look it up.

2 jucos were all i could find.

you must be projecting son. we don't recruit that many stupid kids. we are by no means picky. we'll take chances just like everybody. we're not vandy or northwestern. but we're not marshall either. actually since troy state fired their coach i don't see anyone out there taking the chances on special ed kids like marshall does.
08-17-2015 07:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

(08-17-2015 07:02 AM)pesik Wrote:  

as a general student (not even just athletes) you can have bad grades in high school get goods grades in JC and transfer to a great school and get accepted

students with horrific grades in high school dont get into good schools to be given a chance to get their grades up

how have marshall fans equated those 2 to the same thing..

1) go to a school where there is no academic standard to improve your grades then we'll invite you in
2) we don't care about any remote bare minimum academic standard, you can all come to my school, your grades don't matter..oh and by the way we like to claim we are a great academic institution

They do at Marshall.

We have the nationally recognized HELP program for regular joe students and they get the same treatment this guy is getting.

It would be different if we had special rules for athletes, but we don't.
08-17-2015 07:56 AM
ThunderingHerdFan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
The HELP program is outstanding and available to all students.

It has rescued more than one student who may have slacked to the point of nearly being thrown out of school who was too proud to look for help until the last resort.

If what some of you guys were implying were enacted at Marshall, we'd have 3,000 students and be called WVU-Huntington by now. That wouldn't be good for anyone, specifically our region. This area has a lot going against it. Marshall is not one of those things.
08-17-2015 08:12 AM
bonegreen Offline
2nd String

I like the jealousy...fuels me up! Some of these posters don't know what they're talking about. Kids often have acceptable GPA but no test score. John Thompson protested when this all started. Absolutely no diff in NQs whether they go JUCO, prep or prop. NQ is NQ.
08-17-2015 08:14 AM
Advertisement

SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-17-2015 05:52 AM)cr11owl Wrote:  

I'm sure he's a good football player but doesn't it just hurt you to see your school take non-qualifying players? Have you looked at the standards recently?

Edit: http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2011/12/1...ge-sports/
It looks like the standards go up a little next year. Hard to believe any university will let students in below these marks...
\

So Prep School and Juco players are Rhodes Scholars? Everyone knows why a kid goes to Prep School or Juco - they don't have the grades to get in their chosen school. The P5 schools tell a kid to go Prep so he can boost his GPA at that school and enter the P5 later in good standing.
Props have graduated HS with at least a 2.5 GPA - NCAA mandate; but didn't make the ACT or SAT score to get into the school they committed to. That opens up the process and they can sign with anyone.
They aren' the devil, they aren't thugs, they aren't stupid. I'd rather give them a chance than cast them out and have them have a wasted life or become a burden to society. Think about it a little.
08-17-2015 08:20 AM
USMSTUD Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
(08-17-2015 08:14 AM)bonegreen Wrote:  I like the jealousy...fuels me up! Some of these posters don't know what they're talking about. Kids often have acceptable GPA but no test score. John Thompson protested when this all started. Absolutely no diff in NQs whether they go JUCO, prep or prop. NQ is NQ.

There is one distinct difference. If the kid is still a 4* running back prospect after attending a JUCO for two years he would have all kinds of P5 offers and probably wouldn't end up at Marshall.
08-17-2015 08:24 AM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-17-2015 07:48 AM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(08-17-2015 06:27 AM)bonegreen Wrote:  When the league quits taking JUCOs who were ineligible I might re-visit my feelings on this. Herd that WKU signed 12 last yr alone. And prep school kids are often NQs too. NQs are the reason Marshall will never go the AAC. At least I sure hope that's how they think.

quit being a butthurt retard corky just because some people question marshall recruiting the south florida special ed departments.

i had no idea how many jucos we recruited last year but since you keep saying 12 i had to go look it up.

2 jucos were all i could find.

you must be projecting son. we don't recruit that many stupid kids. we are by no means picky. we'll take chances just like everybody. we're not vandy or northwestern. but we're not marshall either. actually since troy state fired their coach i don't see anyone out there taking the chances on special ed kids like marshall does.

WOW! What a classy and mature post. Stupid kids? special ed? If you look at the regional rankings of colleges WKU and MU are pretty similar. In fact, we offer a post graduate programs you don't and do offer a PHD program - WKU doesn't. Not going into the academic smack as I have always felt your degree is what you make of it - regardless of the institution. My degree has served me very well and I'll be happy to compare W2's if you wish.
08-17-2015 08:25 AM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-17-2015 08:24 AM)USMSTUD Wrote:  
(08-17-2015 08:14 AM)bonegreen Wrote:  I like the jealousy...fuels me up! Some of these posters don't know what they're talking about. Kids often have acceptable GPA but no test score. John Thompson protested when this all started. Absolutely no diff in NQs whether they go JUCO, prep or prop. NQ is NQ.

There is one distinct difference. If the kid is still a 4* running back prospect after attending a JUCO for two years he would have all kinds of P5 offers and probably wouldn't end up at Marshall.

He knows Johnson is graduating this year, thus can come in and start immediately - if he puts in the work. He may not have that chance at a P5. Grades aren't always the deciding factor. How did Monken get all those P5 transfers to come to USM? Playing time!
08-17-2015 08:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.