Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fall Camps
Purplehook Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
Fall Camps
How is everyone's football camps going so far? good. bad. injuries.

ECU had their first scrimmage yesterday. Offense struggled with has fans wondering about a QB controversy. No starter to be named any time soon. We have a stable of pretty good running backs and a true freshman rb is doing well so far and has made second or third on the debt chart and will get some quality playing time this year (Shaun Furlow) A true freshman receiver probably our highest rated recruit of last year. Farrier out of Florida is as good as expected and will contribute right away. But still lots of question marks with our new OC and a QB yet to be named. No major injuries yet, knock on wood.
08-16-2015 06:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
RE: Fall Camps
Good:

PJ Walker zero turnovers
True freshman RB Jager Gardner 70 yard TD run
True freshman RB Ryquell Armstead continuing to run well
True freshman S Delvon Randall (prep) getting high praise
R-Freshman OT Jaelin Robinson playing very well and could end up a 4 year starter

Bad:

Bunch of fumbles from RBs
True freshman DE Josiah Bronson got hurt and seems like he will be out for the season
08-16-2015 06:41 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Gotta say KB's passing numbers were alarming. But I'm not too concerned since it was just one scrimmage.
08-16-2015 06:56 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
Houston:

Herman (our coach) has been adamant about ward gaining weight and according to the staff ward is 20lbs heavier from spring till the start of camp. he refuses to name ward the starter yet, despite everyone basically thinking ward has it on lock (wont announce till game 1)

the offense has supposedly gotten dramatically better, the defense dominated the spring but the offense was in control in the first scrimmage...our backup WRs didn't play well though

side note is we are supposedly getting some mid- highly touted late additions, im sure someone will make a thread when its official (one already is)..and so is usf "supposedly"

there's actually been a ton of news coming from our camp but almost non having to do with how the team looks, our coach has said this will be the hardest fall camp in college football history, he has added a ton of new traditions and development things some of which are very interesting and has given quite a few media quoteables to the press
08-16-2015 07:14 PM
Purplehook Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
(08-16-2015 06:56 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Gotta say KB's passing numbers were alarming. But I'm not too concerned since it was just one scrimmage.

Those were some bad numbers. His strong arm and superior athleticism makes me want him to win the starting job. But consistency and good decision making are probably more important in this offense. I am just hoping Kurt can settle down and still be the QB we hoped he would be. Stretching the field on occasion in this offense really brings its explosiveness to the next level. something we did not see a lot with Carden. The scrimmage stats from next Saturday will be very interesting to say the least.
08-16-2015 08:36 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Tubs said UC is finally four deep at most spots....running four teams for the first time.

Cats are deep, fast, and strong.

Special year in the making....
08-16-2015 08:50 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
One thing about our fan base we overreact constantly. We need to just calm down and let things play out. We lose one game in football and it's time to fire the coach, bad scrimmage from starting QB season over, calm down it'll be alright.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2015 10:08 PM by Carolina_Low_Country.)
08-16-2015 09:18 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(08-16-2015 09:18 PM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  One thing about our fan base we overreact constantly. We need to just come down and let things play out. We lose one game in football and it's time to fire the coach, bad scrimmage from starting QB season over, come down it'll be alright.

I think your fans too easily dismiss the fact that it's not always a seamless transition from backup QB to starter and thought Benkert would just plug and play and put up major numbers.
08-16-2015 09:51 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Fall Camps
We are hitting in pads for the first time in 7 years. June considered OOC games pre-season with no meaning
08-16-2015 09:57 PM
Advertisement

rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
(08-16-2015 09:51 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(08-16-2015 09:18 PM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  One thing about our fan base we overreact constantly. We need to just come down and let things play out. We lose one game in football and it's time to fire the coach, bad scrimmage from starting QB season over, come down it'll be alright.

I think your fans too easily dismiss the fact that it's not always a seamless transition from backup QB to starter and thought Benkert would just plug and play and put up major numbers.

I would agree. In another thread, I pointed out that an unexperienced quarterback may have difficulty when transitioned to starter no matter how talented. The ECU crowd insisted that you can plug anyone in. The evidence was a single former quarterback that put up numbers but had a below 500 record. SMH
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2015 09:59 PM by rosewater.)
08-16-2015 09:58 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-16-2015 09:57 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  We are hitting in pads for the first time in 7 years. June considered OOC games pre-season with no meaning

Just kick North Texas in the azz and that will be a big improvement.
08-16-2015 10:03 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Defense has dominated- no surprise there. Looks very fast shuts down everything going outside. Deep in most positions. The players see to be picking up the 4-2-5 and like it.

Offense- has been erratic, strong running from RBs and QBs, passing comes and goes still no starter has been named. We did lose WR Stanley Clerbaux (sp) he was expected to contribute as a back up. ACL out for year.
08-16-2015 10:20 PM
GoHouston Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH Cougars
(08-16-2015 07:14 PM)pesik Wrote:  Houston:

Herman (our coach) has been adamant about ward gaining weight and according to the staff ward is 20lbs heavier from spring till the start of camp. he refuses to name ward the starter yet, despite everyone basically thinking ward has it on lock (wont announce till game 1)

the offense has supposedly gotten dramatically better, the defense dominated the spring but the offense was in control in the first scrimmage...our backup WRs didn't play well though

side note is we are supposedly getting some mid- highly touted late additions, im sure someone will make a thread when its official (one already is)..and so is usf "supposedly"

there's actually been a ton of news coming from our camp but almost non having to do with how the team looks, our coach has said this will be the hardest fall camp in college football history, he has added a ton of new traditions and development things some of which are very interesting and has given quite a few media quoteables to the press

4 Star WR Rashaad Samples? A much needed get, but can he play this year?

https://mobile.twitter.com/10justscored/...7455327232
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2015 11:00 PM by GoHouston.)
08-16-2015 10:51 PM
Advertisement

invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
Tulsa hasn't been able to get a full practice in on the YMCA practice fields due to them double booking flag football on us. Montgomery had to call a practice or two due to tornado warnings as well...

It's not looking good for us this year. No need to gameplan for Tulsa.
08-16-2015 11:08 PM
laser101 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
Tubbs said defense was slightly ahead of the offense for the first time since he's been at Cincy,that's a shocker. Cincys d might surprise this year.
08-16-2015 11:12 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

(08-16-2015 09:58 PM)rosewater Wrote:  

I would agree. In another thread, I pointed out that an unexperienced quarterback may have difficulty when transitioned to starter no matter how talented. The ECU crowd insisted that you can plug anyone in. The evidence was a single former quarterback that put up numbers but had a below 500 record. SMH

Benkerts numbers weren't any worse than Cardens the first scrimmage last year or the years before, but I guess people just dismissed those? Idk. It's the first fall scrimmage, calm down FFS, it would actually be really bad for our defense if Benkert put up regular numbers because the defense should be dominating the offense right now
08-17-2015 12:12 AM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

(08-16-2015 09:58 PM)rosewater Wrote:  

This board is always good for blanket statements. The ECU crowd you speak of was probably 2-4 posters ? Seasoned ECU posters such as myself who have watched ECU Football for over 3 Decades know damn well to not make any overly confident predictions about a new QB until you have seen them in real live games. Last year I was frustrated that Lincoln did not play Kurt Benkert more. There were opportunities to play him in 3-4 games in more than just the last 1-2 series of mop up duty when games were firmly in hand. If they truly thought Benkert was the QB for 2015 than they should have played him more in 2014. I would have let him loose vs UNC in the 4th quarter with the goal of scoring 100pts 04-cheers

As far as plug n play ? That is a phrase that comes with the Air Raid system and as most ECU fans know we run a hybrid version of the Air Raid but definitely not a true Air Raid. It is all about a QB distributing balls to playmakers but and a huge but is the ability of a QB to read the Defense make checks at the LOS and not throw into coverage that results in a INT when they can simply tuck and run or toss the ball away and punt. Most young QB's make poor decisions. At ECU we have seen some cases where a QB comes in and performs almost instantly like Marcus Crandall, David Garrard, Gonzalez and Dominique Davis. We have seen times where a younger QB takes time to mature like Jeff Blake, Shane Carden etc..

Bottom line is whether it is Benkert, Blake or Keith there will probably be some growing pains and our schedule is tough this year. I would love to see a QB come in a tear it up because as most honest ECU fans will tell you the greatest intangible about Carden was leadership. He was not the most physically gifted QB. His arm strength was nothing to write home about but the kid just had a confidence about him when it came to moving the Offense and he got it done.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2015 06:13 AM by ShoreBuc.)
08-17-2015 06:11 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(08-16-2015 11:08 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  Tulsa hasn't been able to get a full practice in on the YMCA practice fields due to them double booking flag football on us. Montgomery had to call a practice or two due to tornado warnings as well...

It's not looking good for us this year. No need to gameplan for Tulsa.

what if you just packed up and went to another park? I realized you may have to contend with uneven ground, more tree's, and probably even a playground but you could really make it part of the routine....ie, the tree's are obstacles to run around, you could probably rig up some training course through the jungle gym, etc.

I know the YMCA fields are probably at least mowed and have some stripe down but you guys don't need to act so high and mighty
08-17-2015 06:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.