Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scrimmage Report
Bookmark and Share
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
Scrimmage Report
I went to today's scrimmage. Unfortunately it was held indoors due to lightning. Not only were spectators at ground level but we were kept in the hall and had to watch through the windows which is a major bummer. As a result I only stayed for the first 45 minutes of the scrimmage when the ones and twos worked. Normally I like to stay to the end and see the new guys but not today due to the poor vantage point. Maybe someone else can report on that segment.

-I did not see Santa there today. The other five QBs looked good in drills. Hare, Maddie and Graham threw with great velocity and accuracy. Rotherham and Fiedler throw a nice ball although there is a noticeable dropoff in velocity from the older guys as you would expect. We'll see how they look after a year or two in the weight room.

-The only running backs who were dressed today were Bouagnon, Harris, Huff, Marcus Jones, DJ Brown and Sutton Smith. I did not see Draco Smith or any of the other guys.

-I did not see Brescacin or Tommylee but no surprise there. Both are coming back from injury and have nothing to prove. I believe Deucee Turner was not dressed also.

-Kenny Golladay really impressed me today. He has a chance to be real good. They never got him the ball the two times I went to spring practice so I had no basis for an opinion but he did some explosive things today, very exciting.

-Lineupwise there were no surprises. The first oline was Myers, Conlon, Ness, Ruka and Howard left to right with Scharping alternating with Howard. Maxwell was at tight end and Wimann was at fullback/H back. Hare is of course at QB and Bouagnon, Harris and Huff got touches as advertised. Due to the missing wideouts we saw Golladay, Beebe, Saffold, Blake, Glasper, Tears and even Skyler "Dukes of Hazzard" Monaghan. I did not see any freshmen out there with the ones and twos except for Tears. The second Oline was Dale Brown, Ron Brown, Shane Evans, Luke Shively and Scharping left to right although they switched that up a lot. Shively played center as well as guard, Big Ron played both guard positions and Mike Smith played guard. Scharping is getting a ton of work with almost all of the 2nd team reps as well as some first team so they are trying to bring him along as fast as possible. He will obviously be in the rotation this fall. It's hard to tell who else. I'm guessing Big Ron because of his versatility but who knows.

-I did not see Cameron Clinton-Earl today so the first team Dline was Perez Ford and Rex Mosley at ends and Corey Thomas and William Lee at tackle. Linebackers were Bobby Jones, Boomer Mays and Sean Folliard. DBs were Paris Logan and Anthony Brooks at corner and Brandon Mayes at safety. I can't remember if Marlon Moore was out there today although he will obviously start. The twos on defense were a hodgepodge of guys I don't feel like listing.

-It's hard to get much of a read on performance because of the ground level view and because they always run vanilla plays in these practices. Everyone looked huge and fast, I will say that. It's crazy how big those kids are up close. Bouagnon broke a long run once and Golladay had an explosive play after catching the ball across the middle. Most of the running plays look like rugby scrums and of course no one touches the QBs.
08-15-2015 06:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUTrekker Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
RE: Scrimmage Report
Although your observations were limited, great overview. I especially liked your Dukes of Hazard reference. 😀 Were you or anyone else able to catch a glimpse of Tears?
08-15-2015 06:53 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

Tears did not do much of note while I was there but he did get reps with the ones and twos so he must be doing something right.

I also forgot to mention that Mycial Allen was in shorts and did individual agility drills with a trainer for a long time. He was moving very well so hopefully he is back soon. Jawuan Johnson and Emmett Lynch were getting backup reps at safety.
08-15-2015 07:17 PM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Sounds like Tears will play as a true frosh after all.
08-15-2015 08:02 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Great report 81'
08-15-2015 09:36 PM
Advertisement

RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
Christian Blake seems to be having a great camp. Look out for him.
08-15-2015 09:43 PM
Huskiefb4 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU/Oregon
(08-15-2015 06:14 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  I went to today's scrimmage. Unfortunately it was held indoors due to lightning. Not only were spectators at ground level but we were kept in the hall and had to watch through the windows which is a major bummer. As a result I only stayed for the first 45 minutes of the scrimmage when the ones and twos worked. Normally I like to stay to the end and see the new guys but not today due to the poor vantage point. Maybe someone else can report on that segment.

-I did not see Santa there today. The other five QBs looked good in drills. Hare, Maddie and Graham threw with great velocity and accuracy. Rotherham and Fiedler throw a nice ball although there is a noticeable dropoff in velocity from the older guys as you would expect. We'll see how they look after a year or two in the weight room.

-The only running backs who were dressed today were Bouagnon, Harris, Huff, Marcus Jones, DJ Brown and Sutton Smith. I did not see Draco Smith or any of the other guys.

-I did not see Brescacin or Tommylee but no surprise there. Both are coming back from injury and have nothing to prove. I believe Deucee Turner was not dressed also.

-Kenny Golladay really impressed me today. He has a chance to be real good. They never got him the ball the two times I went to spring practice so I had no basis for an opinion but he did some explosive things today, very exciting.

-Lineupwise there were no surprises. The first oline was Myers, Conlon, Ness, Ruka and Howard left to right with Scharping alternating with Howard. Maxwell was at tight end and Wimann was at fullback/H back. Hare is of course at QB and Bouagnon, Harris and Huff got touches as advertised. Due to the missing wideouts we saw Golladay, Beebe, Saffold, Blake, Glasper, Tears and even Skyler "Dukes of Hazzard" Monaghan. I did not see any freshmen out there with the ones and twos except for Tears. The second Oline was Dale Brown, Ron Brown, Shane Evans, Luke Shively and Scharping left to right although they switched that up a lot. Shively played center as well as guard, Big Ron played both guard positions and Mike Smith played guard. Scharping is getting a ton of work with almost all of the 2nd team reps as well as some first team so they are trying to bring him along as fast as possible. He will obviously be in the rotation this fall. It's hard to tell who else. I'm guessing Big Ron because of his versatility but who knows.

-I did not see Cameron Clinton-Earl today so the first team Dline was Perez Ford and Rex Mosley at ends and Corey Thomas and William Lee at tackle. Linebackers were Bobby Jones, Boomer Mays and Sean Folliard. DBs were Paris Logan and Anthony Brooks at corner and Brandon Mayes at safety. I can't remember if Marlon Moore was out there today although he will obviously start. The twos on defense were a hodgepodge of guys I don't feel like listing.

-It's hard to get much of a read on performance because of the ground level view and because they always run vanilla plays in these practices. Everyone looked huge and fast, I will say that. It's crazy how big those kids are up close. Bouagnon broke a long run once and Golladay had an explosive play after catching the ball across the middle. Most of the running plays look like rugby scrums and of course no one touches the QBs.
Really too bad you left, at about 45 minutes in they went back outside and scrimmaged at least another hour and a half.
08-15-2015 09:44 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

Yeah, no kidding. It looks like I missed the whole thing!
08-15-2015 10:08 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(08-15-2015 08:02 PM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  Sounds like Tears will play as a true frosh after all.

Thanks for the report 1981, THIS...is great to hear, very exciting to know there is a possibility Tears could be in the mix this year.
08-15-2015 10:34 PM
Advertisement

HUSKIEFURY Offline
Bench Warmer

08-15-2015 11:11 PM
NIUTrekker Offline
2nd String

My gut feeling is this is going to be a special year. We have a strong defense and some serious playmakers on offense. The other intangible that we have is depth.
08-16-2015 06:27 AM
NIU Football 11 Offline
Water Engineer

i heard yesterday the team will fly to every road game except Toledo. They'll bus to Toledo and fly home. CMU I'm not positive about. Could be bus. The rest are flights for sure. OSU BC MOH BUF
08-16-2015 09:37 AM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(08-16-2015 09:37 AM)NIU Football 11 Wrote:  i heard yesterday the team will fly to every road game except Toledo. They'll bus to Toledo and fly home. CMU I'm not positive about. Could be bus. The rest are flights for sure. OSU BC MOH BUF

In 2013, the Huskies bussed to a hotel in Lansing Friday and bussed to Mt. Pleasant Saturday morning. The trip from Lansing to Mt. Pleasant takes about an hour.
08-16-2015 10:42 AM
Advertisement

NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

(08-15-2015 07:17 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  Tears did not do much of note while I was there but he did get reps with the ones and twos so he must be doing something right.

I also forgot to mention that Mycial Allen was in shorts and did individual agility drills with a trainer for a long time. He was moving very well so hopefully he is back soon. Jawuan Johnson and Emmett Lynch were getting backup reps at safety.

That may have been Taylor Mashack who was getting reps rather than Emmett Lynch. I didn't realize both wear number 25.
08-17-2015 11:18 AM
Suptroop Offline
2nd String

Any assessment on the progress of the online and maybe the theme of the year in the run game? I'd like to see more zone read options. I don't think Hare was particularly good at it. Harnish was perfect buy I feel Hare gets locked up. With a smaller group of backs maybe that will be an emphasis.
08-17-2015 01:45 PM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(08-15-2015 10:34 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(08-15-2015 08:02 PM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  Sounds like Tears will play as a true frosh after all.

Thanks for the report 1981, THIS...is great to hear, very exciting to know there is a possibility Tears could be in the mix this year.

we are pretty deep and talented at WR. Why break a redshirt on Tears, unless a rash of injuries happen.
08-17-2015 01:56 PM
RedandBlackAttack Offline
1st String

Re: RE: Scrimmage Report
(08-17-2015 01:56 PM)GCD70 Wrote:  
(08-15-2015 10:34 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

we are pretty deep and talented at WR. Why break a redshirt on Tears, unless a rash of injuries happen.

If he is one of the top 4 WRs then I would not redshirt him, otherwise he should be redshirted. It is highly unlikely he is in that top 4 though with TLL, Canada, Golladay, Beebe, Turner, Blake, etc...
08-17-2015 02:10 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I would hope between Canada, Golladay, Blake, Glasper, and Mitchell that we won't have to burn Tears redshirt. If he's better than Blake/Glasper/Mitchell then he's probably going to get playing time.
08-17-2015 02:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.