Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would NC State leave the ACC if invited?
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
Would NC State leave the ACC if invited?
Specifically speaking, would NC State accept an invitation to the SEC or would they stay put in the ACC with their Tobacco Road brethren? On the same note, would VA Tech leave UVA to join the SEC, or are they joined at the hip forever?
08-14-2015 07:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Would NC State leave the ACC if invited?
From the Fan's Perspective, both schools should jump if offered. What school would not want to have the SEC schedule and money. NCSU and VT are more of a cultural fit than UNC and UVA. I see VT having more of chance than NCSU ever getting the offer, but I would be all over NCSU going.
08-14-2015 07:55 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
The VT president spoke negatively of joining the SEC back when all the talk of FSU/Clemson leaving was circulating. As long and hard as they worked to get in the ACC, I don't think they would be in a hurry to leave.

Haven't heard anything out of NCSU. They might be really tied to UNC or they might be willing to take a leap.
08-14-2015 08:16 AM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
(08-14-2015 07:55 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  From the Fan's Perspective, both schools should jump if offered. What school would not want to have the SEC schedule and money. NCSU and VT are more of a cultural fit than UNC and UVA. I see VT having more of chance than NCSU ever getting the offer, but I would be all over NCSU going.
I agree, both schools should probably jump if offered, but isn't there something in the VA government that now requires those two schools to stay together? NC State I think would be more likely to leave the conference, but how deep are their ties with UNC, Duke, Wake?
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2015 08:36 AM by Once a Knight....)
08-14-2015 08:17 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
I think Chapel Hill would pull out all the stops to keep that from happening.
08-14-2015 08:47 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Big 10, SEC and ESPN should just merger everybody down to 2 leagues. 2 game football playoff with each division acting as a separate conference under the league banner. 2 networks good to go for 64 school's. I'm sure the leftovers could still form a good league.

SEC at 24

East: UVA, Vtech, UNC, Duke, NC state, Clem, South Car, FSU
Central: kentucky, Lville, tenn, Vandy, UGA, Gtech, Florida, x
West: Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss STate, LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Missouri

Big 10 at 40

W: Wash, WSU, Oreg, OSU, Cal, Stan, UCLA, USC, Ariz, ASU
N: NW, ILL, Wis, MIN, Io, UM, MSU, IU, Pur, OSU
S:Tex, Tex Tech, OU, Ok st, KU, Kan state, neb, Col, utah, iowa state
E: BC, Uconn, Cuse, Rut, Pitt, WVU, Mar, Penn state, ND, Miami
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2015 09:08 AM by bluesox.)
08-14-2015 08:52 AM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Debbie Yow gave an emphatic 'no' when asked about it, but we know coaches and administrators can't really be taken at their word, and it probably wouldn't even be her decision if an invitation were to come along...
08-14-2015 09:03 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-14-2015 08:17 AM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  
(08-14-2015 07:55 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  From the Fan's Perspective, both schools should jump if offered. What school would not want to have the SEC schedule and money. NCSU and VT are more of a cultural fit than UNC and UVA. I see VT having more of chance than NCSU ever getting the offer, but I would be all over NCSU going.
I agree, both schools should probably jump if offered, but isn't there something in the VA government that now requires those two schools to stay together? NC State I think would be more likely to leave the conference, but how deep are their ties with UNC, Duke, Wake?

Ties are not that strong. Especially since we play Duke twice every 12 years in football. 20 years ago, I would say UNC might have a say in it, but now I don't think it would be as strong. It would be a huge boon to the Raleigh area and I imagine UNC vs NCSU would become a annual OOC game. I think UNC would bolt in a heartbeat if not for the Duke Basketball rivalry and basically they run the show in the ACC.
08-14-2015 10:05 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
If the Big XII ever falls apart, The ACC should put a full court press on Texas. Grabbing Texas would probably put their revenue damn near what SEC schools are receiving anyway.
08-14-2015 10:30 AM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
The ties aren't that strong? Those schools have been playing each other for more than a century.
08-14-2015 10:30 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-14-2015 10:30 AM)WakeForestRanger Wrote:  The ties aren't that strong? Those schools have been playing each other for more than a century.

Okay, let me rephrase it "The traditions are that strong to keep NCSU from considering the move."

Odds are we see More Duke Games
Same amount of UNC Games
Less Wake games but still a fair amount.
08-14-2015 10:38 AM
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(08-14-2015 10:05 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  
(08-14-2015 08:17 AM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  

Ties are not that strong. Especially since we play Duke twice every 12 years in football. 20 years ago, I would say UNC might have a say in it, but now I don't think it would be as strong. It would be a huge boon to the Raleigh area and I imagine UNC vs NCSU would become a annual OOC game. I think UNC would bolt in a heartbeat if not for the Duke Basketball rivalry and basically they run the show in the ACC.

I believe it would be very much in NC State's interest to go to the SEC if they had a chance. But I'm not sure they would go. Some will argue that "UNC won't let it happen", but I don't believe that at all. Rather, I believe State would be reluctant to go to the SEC because it would put at risk their self-image that they would be more successful athletically "if only they weren't under UNC's thumb" - a refrain we hear often on this forum.

As for Va Tech, I'm not so sure it would be in their interest to go to the SEC. For the past twenty years or so they have been in a football league or division that gives them an excellent shot at winning big every year. The SEC East, with them and NC State in it, would only be a little harder. They would be a competitive team. But winning that division would be much more difficult, and one or two loss seasons a lot scarcer. With Beamer's retirement looming, this might not be the right time to step up in class.
08-14-2015 10:55 AM
VirginiaPirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
GOR in 3..2..1...that's a hefty buyout there ACC dwellers. Good luck convincing the SEC to help you with that fee.

Even when the ACC settled with Maryland it still cost MD $31 million to go to the B10.

So the precedent is set that leaving the ACC would cost you at least that amount. That affects NCSU, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, and UVA. Now paying that amount to go to the SEC "might" be worth it but we all know you guys have an easier path making the CFP in the ACC than trying to beat SEC teams. TRUTH!

Now ECU on the other hand, we are good with that challenge being the only football first school in NC other than App St. And it would not cost us or the SEC as much as the ACC options to make that move and lock down a new market in NC and the Tidewater. 07-coffee3
08-14-2015 12:26 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(08-14-2015 10:55 AM)ken d Wrote:  As for Va Tech, I'm not so sure it would be in their interest to go to the SEC. For the past twenty years or so they have been in a football league or division that gives them an excellent shot at winning big every year. The SEC East, with them and NC State in it, would only be a little harder. They would be a competitive team. But winning that division would be much more difficult, and one or two loss seasons a lot scarcer. With Beamer's retirement looming, this might not be the right time to step up in class.

It's just a hypothetical, but it would absolutely be in Va Tech's best interest to move to the SEC. VT is a football-first program; ACC basketball is not the most important thing to them. And the fact that Beamer will retire soon means they would want to take the opportunity while they are still an A-list candidate, because while you always hope that your new head coach might do as well as Jimbo Fisher at Florida State, there's always the possibility he'll be more like Dan Hawkins at Colorado.
08-14-2015 12:38 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(08-14-2015 12:38 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(08-14-2015 10:55 AM)ken d Wrote:  As for Va Tech, I'm not so sure it would be in their interest to go to the SEC. For the past twenty years or so they have been in a football league or division that gives them an excellent shot at winning big every year. The SEC East, with them and NC State in it, would only be a little harder. They would be a competitive team. But winning that division would be much more difficult, and one or two loss seasons a lot scarcer. With Beamer's retirement looming, this might not be the right time to step up in class.

It's just a hypothetical, but it would absolutely be in Va Tech's best interest to move to the SEC. VT is a football-first program; ACC basketball is not the most important thing to them. And the fact that Beamer will retire soon means they would want to take the opportunity while they are still an A-list candidate, because while you always hope that your new head coach might do as well as Jimbo Fisher at Florida State, there's always the possibility he'll be more like Dan Hawkins at Colorado.

One thing is for sure. Whoever he is, VT's next coach won't be given as much time to prove himself as Beamer was. Beamer replaced a very successful coach - Bill Dooley - whose record in the 7 years before Beamer's arrival was 55-24-1. In his first six years at Tech, Beamer was 24-40-2. In today's world, he never would have gotten a fourth year. Getting into the Big East saved his bacon.
08-14-2015 01:03 PM
Rabonchild Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
(08-14-2015 08:16 AM)bullet Wrote:  The VT president spoke negatively of joining the SEC back when all the talk of FSU/Clemson leaving was circulating. As long and hard as they worked to get in the ACC, I don't think they would be in a hurry to leave.

Haven't heard anything out of NCSU. They might be really tied to UNC or they might be willing to take a leap.

NCSU is as tied to UNC as South Carolina was.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2015 01:39 PM by Rabonchild.)
08-14-2015 01:39 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-14-2015 08:16 AM)bullet Wrote:  The VT president spoke negatively of joining the SEC back when all the talk of FSU/Clemson leaving was circulating. As long and hard as they worked to get in the ACC, I don't think they would be in a hurry to leave.

And yet they met with us in 2010 at the Greenbriar to discuss just that.
08-14-2015 01:42 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU, AAC
(08-14-2015 09:03 AM)Chappy Wrote:  Debbie Yow gave an emphatic 'no' when asked about it, but we know coaches and administrators can't really be taken at their word, and it probably wouldn't even be her decision if an invitation were to come along...

Especially not Debbie Yow. I really think that NC State is tied to UNC just as much as Clemson is tied to SC. Especially considering how the UNC system's decision making process is set up.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2015 03:25 PM by PiratePanther189.)
08-14-2015 03:23 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
The nice thing is that we can be patient.

Maybe the B1G rips open the ACC and gives us our opening next year. Maybe another decade of watching the income gap grow will have to go by first.

We're fine either way and all this talk of needing to take on projects like ECU or ODU to get into these markets immeadietly is silly.

The patient hunter is the well fed hunter
08-14-2015 05:17 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-14-2015 05:17 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  The nice thing is that we can be patient.

Maybe the B1G rips open the ACC and gives us our opening next year. Maybe another decade of watching the income gap grow will have to go by first.

We're fine either way and all this talk of needing to take on projects like ECU or ODU to get into these markets immeadietly is silly.

The patient hunter is the well fed hunter

Zaitsev. But truly I've known some very patient poor shots. I'll settle for being a prolific hunter, or at least a consummate one.
08-14-2015 05:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.