Toledo's Defensive Line Looks to Make Noise
08-14-2015 07:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Toledo's Defensive Line Looks to Make Noise
They will have the opportunity to make noise, a lot of noise, in Little Rock.
08-16-2015 03:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
toledobigmike Offline
1st String

(08-16-2015 03:05 PM)NewMex RocketFan Wrote:  They will have the opportunity to make noise, a lot of noise, in Little Rock.

05-stirthepot04-cheers04-rock
08-16-2015 07:05 PM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I Root For: U of Toledo
I keep telling people, our defensive line will be scary this year
08-16-2015 09:07 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(08-16-2015 09:07 PM)T4C8 Wrote:  I keep telling people, our defensive line will be scary this year

Our defensive line has been scary for many years. It'll be nice to have opponents' fans be the frightened ones for a change.
08-17-2015 07:14 AM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-17-2015 07:14 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(08-16-2015 09:07 PM)T4C8 Wrote:  I keep telling people, our defensive line will be scary this year

Our defensive line has been scary for many years. It'll be nice to have opponents' fans be the frightened ones for a change.

I heard DL Coach Eli Rasheed encouraging his charges on the bench in Columbia that "they (Mizzou) can't run on us" more than once during the game. I am looking forward to hearing more of that this year.
08-17-2015 08:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(08-17-2015 08:15 AM)NewMex RocketFan Wrote:  

I heard DL Coach Eli Rasheed encouraging his charges on the bench in Columbia that "they (Mizzou) can't run on us" more than once during the game. I am looking forward to hearing more of that this year.

Need to keep pressuring opponents QB's. Can't give even the worst QB all day to find a receiver. Keep working on those cover skills and creating turnovers.04-chairshot
08-17-2015 08:55 AM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

Ain't it the truth. If we could just get the secondary up to the same level at the same time. Norrils will help a lot, and hopefully the guy from UAB.
08-17-2015 09:09 AM
FrickerRon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo
(08-17-2015 09:09 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  

Ain't it the truth. If we could just get the secondary up to the same level at the same time. Norrils will help a lot, and hopefully the guy from UAB.

This defensive team will amaze you this year, besides the defensive line and the LB's, which will be better then last year, the secondary's speed and quickness will make our coverage really thight. No more giving 5 or 10 yard cushions. I think our defense will be able to bring the kitchen sink at any team we play.
08-19-2015 01:57 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

IF the coach let's it be aggressive. Stony Brook, sure. Against, Ark, I'm betting bend but don't break but really break. For some reason, they rather play a scheme that looks like they're playing not to get burned, when they get burned, then one that looks like their confident they can play even up.

I'll drop this here, though it probably should be it's own thread. Anyone wants to, feel free.

USA Today Likes our D but prepared to have your mind boggles at one of their MAC All-Time selections.

MAC Preview
08-19-2015 02:32 PM
All Rockets All The Time

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-19-2015 01:57 PM)FrickerRon Wrote:  

This defensive team will amaze you this year, besides the defensive line and the LB's, which will be better then last year, the secondary's speed and quickness will make our coverage really thight. No more giving 5 or 10 yard cushions. I think our defense will be able to bring the kitchen sink at any team we play.

Well, other than two corners who did not play last year, this is the same secondary (less Haden) that gave up 44 points to Arkansas State. So....I'll believe it when I see it. I definitely hope to.
08-19-2015 03:43 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(08-19-2015 03:43 PM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  

Well, other than two corners who did not play last year, this is the same secondary (less Haden) that gave up 44 points to Arkansas State. So....I'll believe it when I see it. I definitely hope to.

Same secondary with an additional year's experience, two returning corners and a UAB transfer who was their number two tackler.
08-19-2015 04:40 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-19-2015 02:32 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  IF the coach let's it be aggressive. Stony Brook, sure. Against, Ark, I'm betting bend but don't break but really break. For some reason, they rather play a scheme that looks like they're playing not to get burned, when they get burned, then one that looks like their confident they can play even up.

I'll drop this here, though it probably should be it's own thread. Anyone wants to, feel free.

MAC Preview

I am afraid that you are probably right. It is my impression that against teams with a poor passing game the coaching staff is not afraid to play a lot of man coverage but against a good passing team with a good QB, they understandably are more timid and concerned and tend to go to a zone defense and concede short gains with the hope that the opposing team is forced into a long drive with ample opportunities for mistakes----of course that doesn't always work too well because most good teams are good because they execute well and minimize mistakes.

I wish the coaches had enough confidence in the secondary to let them play aggressively all game regardless of the opponent----or at least try and thus make the other team prove that they can consistently burn it.
08-19-2015 04:58 PM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-19-2015 04:58 PM)T-Town Wrote:  
(08-19-2015 02:32 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  IF the coach let's it be aggressive. Stony Brook, sure. Against, Ark, I'm betting bend but don't break but really break. For some reason, they rather play a scheme that looks like they're playing not to get burned, when they get burned, then one that looks like their confident they can play even up.

MAC Preview

I am afraid that you are probably right. It is my impression that against teams with a poor passing game the coaching staff is not afraid to play a lot of man coverage but against a good passing team with a good QB, they understandably are more timid and concerned and tend to go to a zone defense and concede short gains with the hope that the opposing team is forced into a long drive with ample opportunities for mistakes----of course that doesn't always work too well because most good teams are good because they execute well and minimize mistakes.

I wish the coaches had enough confidence in the secondary to let them play aggressively all game regardless of the opponent----or at least try and thus make the other team prove that they can consistently burn it.

Quote:Worst case: Northern Illinois 49, Toledo 17.
WTF!
08-19-2015 05:31 PM
All Rockets All The Time

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-19-2015 04:40 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(08-19-2015 03:43 PM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  
(08-17-2015 07:14 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  Our defensive line has been scary for many years. It'll be nice to have opponents' fans be the frightened ones for a change.

Same secondary with an additional year's experience, two returning corners and a UAB transfer who was their number two tackler.

They had the extra year's experience in the GoDaddy. Between the bowl and now, zero additional experience, except practice of course. I'm just not convinced that the talent level is there. Hopefully the UAB guy will be a difference maker. Maybe we'll get a freshman with a spark, too.

I'm just not getting my hopes sky high, that's all--other than hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
08-19-2015 08:01 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-19-2015 05:31 PM)NewMex RocketFan Wrote:  
(08-19-2015 04:58 PM)T-Town Wrote:  

MAC Preview

Quote:Worst case: Northern Illinois 49, Toledo 17.
WTF!

My biggest head scratch came when I saw their selection for All-Time QB.
08-19-2015 08:07 PM
Advertisement

northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-19-2015 08:07 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  My biggest head scratch came when I saw their selection for All-Time QB.

Yeah, especially when right before it says the list doesn't include any NIU players from before 1973. Then bam ... 60s NIU QB. I wonder if sports writers even read what they write sometimes.

Bork was a record setting QB back in the day ... but he didn't play in the MAC. Ever. Just silly. We all know who the all-time greatest MAC QB is, and that's what matters.
08-19-2015 08:45 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

Until you lose a college game how can anyone say you weren't the best?
08-19-2015 09:18 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

There are other candidates for best all-time MAC QB but they're only there to keep the conversation from ending too soon.
08-20-2015 05:16 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Big Ben, Pennigton, and Leftwich should be considered. No one likes to pick a player who played in the 60's and 70's. Id say he is the best Rocket, but some Gaudy stats now would like to point to newer players because the game has changed so much.

We have a better RB Unit than WMU. Franklin is a stud but he is their guy... UT is 5 deep.
08-20-2015 03:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.