Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is AAC future even an option?
Bookmark and Share
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
Is AAC future even an option?
So how should NIU perceive the AAC having added Navy for football? Does this mean the only way they'll be interested in adding further members is if they get raided?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/aac-adds-na...ncaaf.html

And yes, I'm aware one Dog Pound regular has no interest in NIU joining the AAC at any time -- so it's safe to guess what his reaction will be.
08-13-2015 07:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
RE: Is AAC future even an option?
Navy was added last year. Just made official this year
08-13-2015 07:38 PM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Re: RE: Is AAC future even an option?
(08-13-2015 07:36 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  So how should NIU perceive the AAC having added Navy for football? Does this mean the only way they'll be interested in adding further members is if they get raided?

And yes, I'm aware one Dog Pound regular has no interest in NIU joining the AAC at any time -- so it's safe to guess what his reaction will be.

Unless they decide to go to 14, I think the only way they invite someone else is if current teams join other conferences. And even if they go to 14, I'd think Army would be right at the top of the list so they could get both service academies.
08-13-2015 07:41 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Plus if they get raided, one of the better teams will be on the way out...

Still a better option than the MAC ;(. Lets get the new stadium built before we go flirting around on farmers.com
08-13-2015 07:43 PM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I feel like the only way it would happen is as backfill anyway. So, status quo.
08-13-2015 07:49 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
This argument is just such a colossal waste of energy, its a lateral right now and in 3 years will be less than a lateral. Not mention just the incredible incredible travel budget you will incur to play in the conference. This conference will be extinct in 5 to 7 years
08-13-2015 08:45 PM
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
EMU out and Army or Marshall in and I'll shut up until the B12 comes-a-knock'n.
08-13-2015 11:33 PM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
Looking at the upcoming OOC schedule that is already in place over the next 9 years, Huskies don't need to be moving to a more difficult conference unless it's a P5 conference. NIU has 16 P5 games scheduled in the next 9 years plus 5 MWC(SD ST, Wyoming & UNLV) games, 2 with BYU,2 with Tulsa & 2 with USF.

The SEC & ACC consider BYU a P5 opponent for OOC scheduling purposes to meet that requirement, I'd be more interested in some of these series being extended ( SD ST, BYU, UNLV, USF, some of the P5's) than in NIU joining a different conference
08-14-2015 02:36 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(08-13-2015 07:36 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  So how should NIU perceive the AAC having added Navy for football? Does this mean the only way they'll be interested in adding further members is if they get raided?

Yes that is what I have been saying all along.

If the AAC invites us that is because they lost 1-2 teams. That is the only way that is happening. That is what makes me go nuts about MD and his "don't accept an AAC invite and hold out for a B12 invite" mindset. If the AAC is inviting us it is likely that the B12 already took 2 and is not looking at adding any more. So there would be no reason to hold out for the B12 any longer.

The only exception to this is if one or two of the other P5 conferences, most likely the B1G, decide they want to go to 16 that changes the scenario.
08-14-2015 10:10 AM
HuskieAlumnus03 Offline
Special Teams

(08-13-2015 11:33 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  EMU out and Army or Marshall in and I'll shut up until the B12 comes-a-knock'n.

*I'm with you on this!
08-14-2015 10:23 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
The AAC will get raided again, and they'll need to pick up a couple more teams within the next 2-5 years, IMO.

NIU & Marshall would be the two top options.

Would it be worth it for NIU? With the P5s getting bigger, the AAC is what CUSA *was*. Which is why CUSA now is not worth any MAC team's thoughts.

NIU could say No to it, and hold out for the B12. But the B12 is going to be raiding the AAC. They COULD opt for NIU, sure. IMO, the B12 is going to go through 2 phases of expansion. Adding 2, then adding 2.

What NIU has to do is do the stadium expansion, get it's attendance going, improving it's BBall... and see where the chips fall in terms of timing on what's a good solution.

If the ACC gets gutted like a freshman girl in a fraternity house, then they may not be such a good option to move to, if their top 4 teams leave (ECU, Cinci, UCF, Memphis) -- Adding Marshall, NIU, LA-Tech, Western Kentucky.

Should be interesting to see what unfolds over the next half decade or so.
08-14-2015 11:24 AM
Advertisement

Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
I'll say this. While the MAC has been a good fit for NIU the past 20 years. It is essentially killing the NIU fan base. People just aren't excited to see NIU play EMU or Ball State on a Tuesday night or the day after Thanksgiving. Stay in the MAC and die, move to the AAC and survive.
08-14-2015 12:18 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-14-2015 12:18 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  I'll say this. While the MAC has been a good fit for NIU the past 20 years. It is essentially killing the NIU fan base. People just aren't excited to see NIU play EMU or Ball State on a Tuesday night or the day after Thanksgiving. Stay in the MAC and die, move to the AAC and survive.

Stretching it a bit saying EMU is playing on a Tuesday night there!

People aren't excited to go to games on Tues/Wed nights in November...no matter who we are playing. And that results in lower season ticket holders which results in fewer of those people going to more than 1 game which reduces the gameday experience of a exciting atmosphere.
08-14-2015 12:24 PM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
(08-14-2015 12:24 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(08-14-2015 12:18 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  I'll say this. While the MAC has been a good fit for NIU the past 20 years. It is essentially killing the NIU fan base. People just aren't excited to see NIU play EMU or Ball State on a Tuesday night or the day after Thanksgiving. Stay in the MAC and die, move to the AAC and survive.

People aren't excited to go to games on Tues/Wed nights in November...no matter who we are playing. And that results in lower season ticket holders which results in fewer of those people going to more than 1 game which reduces the gameday experience of a exciting atmosphere.

Agreed, and what other conference plays on Tuesday night in Novemeber?
08-14-2015 12:29 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

The Big 12 thing is independent of what I think about a move to the AAC, its bad regardless. The one thing the AAC has going for it is that if you are at work talking about NIU football and you said NIU was moving to the AAC, people might think you said ACC and be impressed, that's the only upside. The AAC is disintegrating before our eyes, I don't even think it will be viable conference soon. Not sure whether its 2 years, 5 years down the road, but sooner rather than later. The only few teams worth anything will be leaving soon and then I think it will be completely eroded. The AAC would have much more to gain by accepting NIU than NIU would. What you are left with in a few years after the disintegration is complete is having to travel halfway across the country to play Temple and South Florida. I am sorry but that is not worth the monumentally big travel budget to be in a worse spot than you are now. I wont argue with anyone that claims MAC leadership has been just downright awful, and has crushed the MAC fanbase with the decisions made. You can't pin that on the quality of football though, this conference is on the up in terms of that. It is so clear to me that if NIU joined the AAC, they would be homeless in terms of a conference in a decade.
08-14-2015 12:39 PM
JB04 Offline
1st String

+1
08-14-2015 12:44 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(08-14-2015 12:29 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  
(08-14-2015 12:24 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

Agreed, and what other conference plays on Tuesday night in Novemeber?

The ESPN deal is probably the only factor which would favor a move to the AAC. That doesn't outweigh the more numerous negatives.
08-14-2015 12:47 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

Hypothetical scenario only for you know who...

The AAC lose UC and UCF to the B12.

ESPN decreased the TV deal to 1.5mil per year (from 1.8)

NIU turned down an invite to the AAC with Toledo. (just to make MD happy)

Toledo still accepts along with Buffalo who was the AAC's #3 choice for overall TV value.

The MAC invited JMU and Arkansas St.

NIU continues to play our best 1-2 home games on Tues/Wed nights in November on ESPN2 or ESPNU.

OR

The AAC lose UC and UCF to the B12

ESPN decreases the AAC TV deal to 1.5mil per year

NIU accepts an AAC invite with Toledo

The MAC invites JMU and IL St.

NIU plays our best 1-2 home games on Thursday/Friday nights in September or October on ESPN or ESPN2

NIU schedules IL St, Ball St & WMU regularly in 1-1s to have as many close OOC games as possible for a good Saturday early season matchup.

NIU gets to play 1-2 easy to get to destination cities in Florida or Texas just about every season.

NIU basketball perception and recruiting take a huge step up as we would be in a conference that wins national championships rather than still using that "a few years ago an other team in our conference was in the sweet 16 and almost won the game" lame story.
08-14-2015 01:19 PM
nbcards Offline
Special Teams

(08-14-2015 01:19 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  Hypothetical scenario only for you know who...

The AAC lose UC and UCF to the B12.

ESPN decreased the TV deal to 1.5mil per year (from 1.8)

NIU turned down an invite to the AAC with Toledo. (just to make MD happy)

Toledo still accepts along with Buffalo who was the AAC's #3 choice for overall TV value.

The MAC invited JMU and Arkansas St.

NIU continues to play our best 1-2 home games on Tues/Wed nights in November on ESPN2 or ESPNU.

OR

The AAC lose UC and UCF to the B12

ESPN decreases the AAC TV deal to 1.5mil per year

NIU accepts an AAC invite with Toledo

The MAC invites JMU and IL St.

NIU plays our best 1-2 home games on Thursday/Friday nights in September or October on ESPN or ESPN2

NIU schedules IL St, Ball St & WMU regularly in 1-1s to have as many close OOC games as possible for a good Saturday early season matchup.

NIU gets to play 1-2 easy to get to destination cities in Florida or Texas just about every season.

NIU basketball perception and recruiting take a huge step up as we would be in a conference that wins national championships rather than still using that "a few years ago an other team in our conference was in the sweet 16 and almost won the game" lame story.

+1

I will take Option 2 everytime. 02-13-banana
08-14-2015 01:36 PM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
Here's another scenario to consider

1) The AAC is a deeper tougher league than the MAC is most (not all) years. An 8-0/7-1 NIU team in MAC play might be a 6-2 AAC team depending on who remains in the AAC long term.

2) Let's assume NIU accepts an AAC invite and begins play in 2018; in addition to moving into a more competitive conference (not a definite but more than likely), NIU already has these games on the OOC schedule through 2023

2018 at Iowa, Utah, at BYU; could lose all 3
2019 at Utah, at Nebraska at Vandy; could lose all 3
2020 at Iowa, at Maryland, BYU, could lose all 3
2021 at Nebraska, at Wake Forest, Maryland, Wyoming; likely 2-2, could be 3-1 or 1-3.
2022 Vandy, at Tulsa(which would count as a conference game in standings but might also be considered a 4th non conference game) Could win both or loss both.
2023 at Nebraska, Tulsa (home).

what would NIU's attendance be if in those 6 years it became a 7-5/6-6 program; regardless of on what day(s) games are scheduled as opposed to the success on the field the program has now. Will attendance stagnate or drop possibly.

Don't even get me started regarding men's hoops because as of now there are only 3-4 AAC teams that NIU could stay on the court with. Games vs Memphis, Cincy, Temple, UConn, SMU, Tulsa could get very ugly.

If NIU would move to another conference with all teams, Hoops has to improve dramatically
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2015 01:43 PM by Policiious.)
08-14-2015 01:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.