Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC teams have been football pioneers
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Exclamation ACC teams have been football pioneers
I didn't realize until I researched it for my blog just how many college football "firsts" were accomplished by teams currently in the ACC!

1921 - First live radio broadcast of a college football game in the United States when Harold W. Arlin announced the 21-13 Pitt victory over West Virginia in the Backyard Brawl on KDKA radio.

1942 - Rose Bowl moved to Duke's home stadium in Durham, NC due to Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor a few weeks earlier. This is the first and only time the Rose Bowl wasn't played in Pasadena.

1951 - First nation-wide television broadcast of a live sporting event, a football game: Duke at Pitt, televised coast-to-coast by NBC on September 29, 1951.[108]

1956 - The Sugar Bowl between Georgia Tech and Pittsburgh is recognized as the first time an African-American player (Bobby Grier of Pitt) broke the so-called "color barrier" in the segregated Deep South.

1968 - Alabama vs. Miami (FL) was the first regular-season college football game nationally televised in prime time.

1984 - First live regular-season broadcast by ESPN of a college football game when defending national champion BYU defeated Pitt, 20-14, at Pitt Stadium on September 1, 1984.[111]

1987 - The Fiesta Bowl between Penn State and Miami (FL) is known as the first time a bowl was specifically arranged to pit the top two teams in the nation. This changed the post-season for college football.

1988 – Boston College played Army in Ireland, which is considered to be the first "major" college football game played in Europe.

1993 - First ever ESPN College Gameday road show, Florida State at Notre Dame

1998 - First BCS National Championship Game: #1 Tennessee (SEC) vs. #2 Florida State (ACC)

1999 - When Clemson played Florida State it was dubbed the "Bowden Bowl", was the first time that a father and son coached against each other in Division I football.

2014 - Florida State became the first team to beat an SEC team in the BCS Championship.

2015 - First College Football Playoff (CFP) semi-final game was between Florida State and Oregon.

...and they say ACC football has no history? On the contrary, the ACC has been on the cutting edge of college football - RECOGNIZE!

[Note: I may have actually left out some things. If I did, please let me know!]

http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2015/0...neers.html
08-13-2015 10:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: ACC teams have been football pioneers
Syracuse's Ernie Davis First Black to Win the Heisman '61

First Black drafted #1 in the NFL?
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/alltimeno1
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2015 11:49 AM by TexanMark.)
08-13-2015 11:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-13-2015 11:46 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Syracuse's Ernie Davis First Black to Win the Heisman '61

First Black drafted #1 in the NFL?
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/alltimeno1

Not sure about the NFL, but Heisman is a good one!
08-13-2015 12:56 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
And Jim Brown should've won 4 year's earlier too
08-13-2015 01:08 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-13-2015 01:08 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  And Jim Brown should've won 4 year's earlier too

All that guy did was average 5 yards per carry against NFL defenses.
What a scrub!
08-13-2015 03:41 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Pitt football 'camp'-1922

[Image: getimage-idx?cc=hpicasc;entryid=x-201104...view=image]
08-16-2015 07:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
[Image: 300px-1899_North_Carolina_football_team.png]

1899 Carolina football team
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2015 09:04 AM by XLance.)
08-16-2015 09:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.