[Show Results]

Do you care about bowl games?
Bookmark and Share
PrideinthePack Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
Do you care about bowl games?
Yes or no?

Let's finally put an end to 7's repeated narrative of "NOBODY CARES ABOUT BOWL GAMES!!!!1111"
08-12-2015 10:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
RE: Do you care about bowl games?
I care, but I care more about the MACC.
08-12-2015 10:18 AM
RedandBlackAttack Offline
1st String

(08-12-2015 10:16 AM)PrideinthePack Wrote:  Yes or no?

Let's finally put an end to 7's repeated narrative of "NOBODY CARES ABOUT BOWL GAMES!!!!1111"

Bowl games matter when they are significant bowl games against P5 or high end G5 schools (aka the Boca Raton Bowl from last year) that can put NIU on the national scale. If NIU is playing in the GoDaddy, Little Caesars, or Potato Bowl though...those are pretty insignificant.
08-12-2015 10:18 AM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
I do, it's the last impression you leave on people for the season
08-12-2015 10:19 AM
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
This is kind of a crazy question considering the audience. Who on here wouldn't care about anything relating to the Huskies?

We care about the Huskies cannon, we care about the Huskies berm, we care about the Huskies colors, we care about the Huskies hot dogs, etc. Certainly a bowl game outranks all of those.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2015 10:25 AM by HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN.)
08-12-2015 10:20 AM
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
i care about NIU's bowl game. I don't care about anyone else's bowl game. I also imagine that this is the prevailing attitude for other people with their respective schools.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PrideinthePack Offline
1st String

(08-12-2015 10:18 AM)HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Wrote:  I care, but I care more about the MACC.

Definitely. I feel the exact same way.
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(08-12-2015 10:18 AM)HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Wrote:  I care, but I care more about the MACC.

This.
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

Also, this is just me, but I'd rather see all the bowl games go away and a full playoff system be instituted for FBS.
08-12-2015 10:22 AM
HuskieAlumnus03 Offline
Special Teams

(08-12-2015 10:20 AM)HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Wrote:  This is kind of a crazy question considering the audience. Who on here wouldn't care about anything relating to the Huskies?

We care about the Huskies cannon, we care about the Huskies berm, we care about the Huskies colors, we care about the Huskies hot dogs, etc. Certainly a bowl game outranks all of those.

exactly!
08-12-2015 10:29 AM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I would vote yes, but only based on the fact it's a poll question. To me it's not a black and white answer. I care that they get to bowl games, it's important to have winning or in some cases .500 teams.

Then the game/opponent really dictates if I care about the outcome. For example the Orange a Bowl obviously matters. However, I couldn't care less if NIU beat Arkansas State in the bowl game whatever year that was.

Outside of the big bowls and NIU, without looking on the Internet could many of us look back and be like yeah that bowl game with USC and some Mountain West team (I have no idea if this was their opponent) really impacted the 2014 season. Probably not.
08-12-2015 10:29 AM
Advertisement

BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

(08-12-2015 10:29 AM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  Then the game/opponent really dictates if I care about the outcome. For example the Orange a Bowl obviously matters. However, I couldn't care less if NIU beat Arkansas State in the bowl game whatever year that was.

You could say the feeling towards a bowl game & the result largely depends on the results of the regular season & conference championship.

In 2010, fans cared about the Humanitarian Bowl a lot more because of what happened in the MACC 03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead

In 2011, the feeling towards the Godaddy.com Bowl was lessened because NIU won the MACC. 04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers

In 2012, they really cared about the Orange Bowl because...well, it's the Orange Bowl. 02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana

In 2013, the Poinsettia Bowl mattered more to fans because NIU didn't win the MACC. 03-pissed03-pissed03-pissed03-pissed03-pissed

Last season, the Boca Raton Bowl was cool because of the opponent, but the result wasn't as important as it could have been because NIU won the MACC.
08-12-2015 10:33 AM
NIU8484 Offline
All American

Generally no unless it's the Orange Bowl or against a P5 team, then most definitely....but that Utah State bowl game, after losing the P5 Bowl chance and the MACC, I didn't care
08-12-2015 10:34 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
Yes.
08-12-2015 10:35 AM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

(08-12-2015 10:33 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 10:29 AM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  Then the game/opponent really dictates if I care about the outcome. For example the Orange a Bowl obviously matters. However, I couldn't care less if NIU beat Arkansas State in the bowl game whatever year that was.

You could say the feeling towards a bowl game & the result largely depends on the results of the regular season & conference championship.

In 2010, fans cared about the Humanitarian Bowl a lot more because of what happened in the MACC 03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead

In 2011, the feeling towards the Godaddy.com Bowl was lessened because NIU won the MACC. 04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers

In 2012, they really cared about the Orange Bowl because...well, it's the Orange Bowl. 02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana

In 2013, the Poinsettia Bowl mattered more to fans because NIU didn't win the MACC. 03-pissed03-pissed03-pissed03-pissed03-pissed

Last season, the Boca Raton Bowl was cool because of the opponent, but the result wasn't as important as it could have been because NIU won the MACC.

Prime examples, that's why I don't think it's a black and white question. Just my opinion though.
08-12-2015 10:37 AM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
Do I care? Yes. I want my team to win, especially in bowl games which is rare for our Huskies.
Does the team care? Yes.
Does the media care? For a day maybe, then it's all forgotten about.
08-12-2015 10:40 AM
Advertisement

GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(08-12-2015 10:18 AM)RedandBlackAttack Wrote:  

Bowl games matter when they are significant bowl games against P5 or high end G5 schools (aka the Boca Raton Bowl from last year) that can put NIU on the national scale. If NIU is playing in the GoDaddy, Little Caesars, or Potato Bowl though...those are pretty insignificant.

I don't think they are insignificant for the players and their families and alumni. A coach told me there is no such thing as a bad bowl game.
08-12-2015 10:49 AM
NIUAlum90 Offline
All American

Do I care? Yes.
Why? Lots of years Huskies shut out of Bowl Games (9-2) 2003 first Non-AQ to be ranked in the first BCS Poll (at #10) and no bowl.

Remember when there was only one bowl slot for the MAC and great teams did not bowl?

I love the fact that NIU has gotten better and better every year due to the extra practices that we had for the bowl game. That is not an insignificant amount of practices. Next year's team shapes up at some of those practices. Players can enjoy the rewards of ONE Way, the HARD WAY for all of their time energy and sacrifices they and their families made for them to represent NIU.

Anyone who says they don't care about the bowls, is it the bowl itself, or the result?

Yes, it is a meaningless game if not for the National Championship, but how many kids are now attracted to our program since we go out year after year and win, win, win and go bowling?

Being a bowl team might not have the prestige it once had, but I would have killed to go to the bowl game when I was in the band and we went 9-2.

How far has NIU come since 1966 when we became D-1?

Be grateful for the Golden Age, a lot of folks on this board lived through the "Dark Ages" (Sadler) and appreciate where this PROGRAM has gone.
08-12-2015 10:50 AM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

If you want to argue that there are too many bowl games and that it's hardly a reward anymore, I don't think very many people would argue with you. In regards to the Huskies playing in bowl games, I care very much.
08-12-2015 10:56 AM
Mark26pt2 Offline
Special Teams

(08-12-2015 10:18 AM)RedandBlackAttack Wrote:  

+1 AGREED
08-12-2015 10:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.