OT ? The 10 Worst Things at Rice
08-10-2015 07:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: OT ? The 10 Worst Things at Rice
(08-10-2015 07:18 AM)Da.Owl Wrote:  http://www.ricethresher.org/opinion/wors...72d9b.html

Sounds about right. Nodded in agreement with pretty much every one of the line items.
08-10-2015 08:36 AM
OWLmanz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: OWLS & TEXANS
01-lauramac2 Excellent op ed piece. My favorite gripe is repeated here:

"5. Missing majors (journalism, finance, neuroscience)

While Rice offers a plethora of majors, including the ever-popular ancient Mediterranean civilizations major, it still lacks some common tracks of study. Owls headed to Wall Street are forced into an economics major because of our lack of a finance major....."

...as I was leading up to my graduation with an Econ degree in 1971. Additionally, being prior to the advent of the Jones School, I was "forced" to leave my beloved Houston to move to the slums of West Philly to get my MBA. The Wharton School at U Penn is the oldest business school in the world, and Penn has long realized the value of both the undergraduate and graduate business alumni to growing and enriching [literally] the University. The undergraduate Wharton business degree is probably the most sought undergraduate major at Penn.

And THAT is exactly why the RICE faculty and administration will probably never allow an undergraduate business degree to be offered. It would decimate the more esoteric majors that are now home for many non-SE's ["academs" in my class nomenclature]. I have been told this explicitly in the past by various Rice and Jones School faculty and administrators. The terminology used to describe such business programs is "too commercial" [i.e. lower class than other disciplines].

WHAT a shame! A Rice undergraduate business major population in Finance, Management, Business Systems... etc. would be a source of enormous pride and financial support for an otherwise GREAT University.

If I have missed some developments regarding these issues, I apologize; but I don't believe the intellectual "snobbery" of the non-Jones School faculty and administration has changed significantly. Please enlighten me if I am wrong........... 01-wingedeagle
08-10-2015 08:51 AM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
#11 would be the weather. At least this time of year.
08-10-2015 09:04 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(08-10-2015 07:18 AM)Da.Owl Wrote:  http://www.ricethresher.org/opinion/wors...72d9b.html

From 2012.
08-10-2015 09:06 AM
OWLmanz Offline
Special Teams

01-wingedeagle also, what does "more obscene than the ubangee" mean? Sounds "obscenely" non-PC to me............ 03-nutkick
08-10-2015 09:07 AM
Advertisement

TJS_NYC Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Shiner Bock
There's now a "$210 surcharge for student parking"? How long has that been in place? I would have been pissed to be charged to park in stadium lot in the '80's.
08-10-2015 09:23 AM
InterestedX Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Oxford
Parking Rates (as of July 1, 2015)
permit purchase subject to availability - some on waiting list

Undergraduate Student Yearly Rate (Semester 1/2 rate)
Greenbriar Lot $172
South Stadium Lot $320
West Lot (Resident and Commuting) $268
College Lots (College Lottery; office registration only) $522
Central Campus Garage $833
Motorcycle $79

Undergraduate Surcharge *added to rate above Yearly Rate (Semester 1/2 rate)
1st Year at Rice $300
2nd Year at Rice $210
3rd Year at Rice $210
4th Year at Rice $210
08-10-2015 09:36 AM
OldOwl Offline
1st String

Admit more students from Texas and the the South and the school spirit will increase.
(08-10-2015 09:23 AM)TJS_NYC Wrote:  There's now a "$210 surcharge for student parking"? How long has that been in place? I would have been pissed to be charged to park in stadium lot in the '80's.
08-10-2015 09:40 AM
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
(08-10-2015 08:51 AM)OWLmanz Wrote:  01-lauramac2 Excellent op ed piece. My favorite gripe is repeated here:

"5. Missing majors (journalism, finance, neuroscience)

While Rice offers a plethora of majors, including the ever-popular ancient Mediterranean civilizations major, it still lacks some common tracks of study. Owls headed to Wall Street are forced into an economics major because of our lack of a finance major....."

...as I was leading up to my graduation with an Econ degree in 1971. Additionally, being prior to the advent of the Jones School, I was "forced" to leave my beloved Houston to move to the slums of West Philly to get my MBA. The Wharton School at U Penn is the oldest business school in the world, and Penn has long realized the value of both the undergraduate and graduate business alumni to growing and enriching [literally] the University. The undergraduate Wharton business degree is probably the most sought undergraduate major at Penn.

And THAT is exactly why the RICE faculty and administration will probably never allow an undergraduate business degree to be offered. It would decimate the more esoteric majors that are now home for many non-SE's ["academs" in my class nomenclature]. I have been told this explicitly in the past by various Rice and Jones School faculty and administrators. The terminology used to describe such business programs is "too commercial" [i.e. lower class than other disciplines].

WHAT a shame! A Rice undergraduate business major population in Finance, Management, Business Systems... etc. would be a source of enormous pride and financial support for an otherwise GREAT University.

If I have missed some developments regarding these issues, I apologize; but I don't believe the intellectual "snobbery" of the non-Jones School faculty and administration has changed significantly. Please enlighten me if I am wrong........... 01-wingedeagle

Still no majors, but Rice does now offer minors in Neuroscience, Business, and Financial Computation & Modeling.

Another thing they now offer (which could have saved me some money) is a BA/BS-MPH program with UT School of Public Health.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2015 09:46 AM by dragon2owl.)
08-10-2015 09:44 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(08-10-2015 09:23 AM)TJS_NYC Wrote:  There's now a "$210 surcharge for student parking"? How long has that been in place? I would have been pissed to be charged to park in stadium lot in the '80's.

How dare parking fees change! Even though the number of people on campus has increased dramatically, surface parking lots have decreased, and a dollar is worth less than it was decades ago, the price of parking should necessarily remain constant. Anything else is an outrage! An outrage!
08-10-2015 09:52 AM
Advertisement

OWLmanz Offline
Special Teams

01-wingedeagle In the late 60's and early 70's, I parked my shiny new yellow 327 Camaro anywhere I wanted on campus and rarely got tickets [which I immediately discarded with no repercussions in any case]. My favorite parking spots were on the curved drive in front of the RMC and the "indention" in front of Lovett Hall [not to mention anywhere in the lots at the then girls' colleges of Jones and Brown]. There were not nearly as many cars on campus at the time and I guess the Admins really didn't care. Now I suppose the revenue and economic "control" issues are much more important... too bad. 03-nutkick
08-10-2015 10:06 AM
07owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
(08-10-2015 10:06 AM)OWLmanz Wrote:  01-wingedeagle In the late 60's and early 70's, I parked my shiny new yellow 327 Camaro anywhere I wanted on campus and rarely got tickets [which I immediately discarded with no repercussions in any case]. My favorite parking spots were on the curved drive in front of the RMC and the "indention" in front of Lovett Hall [not to mention anywhere in the lots at the then girls' colleges of Jones and Brown]. There were not nearly as many cars on campus at the time and I guess the Admins really didn't care. Now I suppose the revenue and economic "control" issues are much more important... too bad. 03-nutkick

Rice is not unique in being a pain in the ass for parking...pretty much every college campus I've been on has been horrible
08-10-2015 10:13 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(08-10-2015 10:13 AM)07owl Wrote:  Rice is not unique in being a pain in the ass for parking...pretty much every college campus I've been on has been horrible

As a frequent campus visitor I find the availability of parking at Rice to be generally pretty good (with the notable exception of Cohen House at lunchtime) -- and for visitors, availability is overwhelmingly the paramount concern. On the other hand, the specific technology used at the daily-fee lots seems terribly slow.
08-10-2015 10:47 AM
picrig Offline
Bench Warmer

Don't think it was quite $210 when I was around (more like $150), but I believe it started my sophomore year ('03-04)...give or take a year...basically whenever they put up the light-saber looking gates.
08-10-2015 11:43 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-10-2015 09:04 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  #11 would be the weather. At least this time of year.

I'm surprised early fall (aka - summer) weather is not actually on the list.
08-10-2015 12:37 PM
Advertisement

CanadianOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Leonard & Penny
I remember arriving in Houston on a red eye from Seattle, walking through the exit doors of Intergalactic into that wall of humidity. My first thought was, "Oh my God! What have I done!?!" But you eventually get used to it.
I think it's sad how interest in sports has waned. I remember going to Midnight Madness at the start of basketball practices and getting a free slice of Mr.Gatti's Pizza. I know they haven't done Midnight Madness for years. Too bad.
08-10-2015 12:52 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(08-10-2015 12:37 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 09:04 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  #11 would be the weather. At least this time of year.

I'm surprised early fall (aka - summer) weather is not actually on the list.

Maybe because that's on Houston. It's not something that Rice can do anything about.

Not that it's not a significant part of attending Rice, of course. After I moved to California, it took me a month to get out of the habit of removing my glasses when I exited a building. That reflex action was essential in H-Town (and other humid climes) to avoid getting blinded when my air-conditioned-cool eyeglasses suddenly fogged up when I left an air-conditioned building.
08-10-2015 01:27 PM
lou Offline
2nd String

The first year of freshman surcharge was 2004-05. First year of sophomore surcharge was 05-06. First year of junior surcharge was 06-07. First year of senior surcharge was 07-08.

In related news, I came in in '04 and got to pay it every year.
08-10-2015 01:36 PM
billstudabaker Offline
Bench Warmer

My least fond memory of Houston weather is the humidity-fueled slick that formed every morning on the outside hallways in Lovett. Couple that with the stench that emanated from the ship canal, it made for a rude wakeup call. Then I'd get to the commons and a certain colleague would be chowing down on his standard breakfast (as I recall) of cottage cheese, raisin bran, and orange juice, all mixed together in an ice bucket. Oy.
08-10-2015 03:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.