Football only members
Idaho
NMSU
Hawaii
Navy

BYU
ARMY
ND
Not football only but Olympic sports member without including their football teams.

I think for Notre Dame its a great situation.
BYU looks to be thriving with a dual approach.
Army and Navy seem like good situations.

Hawaii , IDAHO and NMSU are less ideal situations but it provides costs savings in non revenue sports . Any of the three could be more successful with the split conference set up.
NMSU dominate the WAC and build up football for example.

Football only membership isn't really a negative these days.
The world is smaller and any of these conferences can be followed on the internet if interested.The way some conferences are spread out what is the difference ?

I do think conferences could benefit especially if they can make offsetting choices.
Like Hawaii and Gonzaga as a pair.
08-09-2015 04:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
RE: Football only members
If the G5s want to do it, fine, it won't really matter. But it's not likely to happen in a P5 conference outside of Notre Dame. Even the ACC pipe dream of Texas doing a Notre Dame type of deal has a <1% chance of happening. The P5s don't have any desire or need to do a football only deal (Notre Dame being the only exception).

Your comment that "football only membership isn't really a negative these days" takes the wrong position, IMHO. The real question you should be asking is what the benefit to the conference is to take on a football only member. No one brings enough clout to consider such a move.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2015 05:14 PM by Zombiewoof.)
08-09-2015 05:12 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Actually football only used to be a bit more common when conferences needed only six football playing members and no requirement that any be a full member.

On average since the early 90's football only memberships have lasted less than four years. Schools either leave or become full members.
08-09-2015 06:24 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
I see that BYU is on the short list to become a FB only with the B12.

UConn has talked about going back to the Big East and if they did that would result in another potential FB only situation for the Big East. It sounds less likely as the AAC has made it intact for its first 3 years and is only a couple seasons away from negotiating a rights fee increase.

With UMass its unclear where their future lies. They may be able to get into CUSA as a 15th school because of their media market IF the championship deregulation happens.

CUSA East: UMass, ODU, Charlotte, FAU, FIU
CUSA Central: Marshall, WKU, MTSU, UAB, USM
CUSA West: LaTech, UNT, Rice, UTSA, UTEP

Idaho/NMSU are waiting for a MWC lifeline. Army could eventually be in the AAC football only.

So yes, the FB Only concept is not dead and its preferred in some cases to having a school compete as a full member.
08-09-2015 06:56 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(08-09-2015 06:56 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I see that BYU is on the short list to become a FB only with the B12.

UConn has talked about going back to the Big East and if they did that would result in another potential FB only situation for the Big East. It sounds less likely as the AAC has made it intact for its first 3 years and is only a couple seasons away from negotiating a rights fee increase.

With UMass its unclear where their future lies. They may be able to get into CUSA as a 15th school because of their media market IF the championship deregulation happens.

CUSA East: UMass, ODU, Charlotte, FAU, FIU
CUSA Central: Marshall, WKU, MTSU, UAB, USM
CUSA West: LaTech, UNT, Rice, UTSA, UTEP

Idaho/NMSU are waiting for a MWC lifeline. Army could eventually be in the AAC football only.

So yes, the FB Only concept is not dead and its preferred in some cases to having a school compete as a full member.
For Idaho the BSC/SBC works vs full membership in either because of 73 years at the top level in football.
NMSU would prefer SBC only but some fans maybe half they prefer the WAC/SBC set up.
I think either would be fine if the contracts didn't renew every two years starting in 2018 for football.
Hawaii might prefer full MWC membership it doesn't seem to be an issue.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2015 07:56 PM by MJG.)
08-09-2015 07:55 PM
Advertisement

jdgaucho Online
All American

I Root For: UCSB
If Hawaii wanted full MWC membership, or if the conference wanted them in everything, it would have happened already. It may yet happen but right now the BW is a better home for Hawaii given that the BW sports emphasized matches what Hawaii is strong in.

This is year four of the BW/MW dual membership
08-09-2015 11:34 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(08-09-2015 11:34 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  If Hawaii wanted full MWC membership, or if the conference wanted them in everything, it would have happened already. It may yet happen but right now the BW is a better home for Hawaii given that the BW sports emphasized matches what Hawaii is strong in.

Right.

Having Hawaii in the conference takes the Big West up a notch in visibility just like BYU does for the West Coast and UMass does for the Atlantic 10. Ditto NMSU for the WAC as the only serious D1 athletic school in that conference.

Idaho for the Big Sky not so much...
08-10-2015 12:12 AM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
The Sun Belt could stay at twelve /12 permanently.
Have East and West divisions with their Olympic sports travel partners.
Place Idaho in the East for football with NMSU as a annual cross over game.
Idaho would benefit from better destinations the West would then have only one outlier.

Missouri state is the only desired Western add and I doubt they leave the Valley.
08-10-2015 02:28 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(08-09-2015 05:12 PM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  If the G5s want to do it, fine, it won't really matter. But it's not likely to happen in a P5 conference outside of Notre Dame. Even the ACC pipe dream of Texas doing a Notre Dame type of deal has a <1% chance of happening. The P5s don't have any desire or need to do a football only deal (Notre Dame being the only exception).
And Notre Dame's deal is kind of the exact opposite of a FB-only deal, since its Everything-Except-FB in the ACC, FB independent.
08-10-2015 11:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.