Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Maddux Sports NIU Football Preview - pretty good
Bookmark and Share
Mark26pt2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
Summary from the article

"The offense should put up similar numbers to last year, and could be slightly better. With all the sacks and turnovers NIU forced, the defense should have put up better numbers than they did. I think the defense will be much better this year. Besides a trip to defending national champion Ohio State, every other game is winnable. As it has in the last few seasons, the Toledo game will likely decide the West title and perhaps the MAC. I think the Huskies win at least 10 games and have a shot at qualifying for one of the New Year’s Six Bowl games"

NIU Football Preview
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2015 02:14 PM by Mark26pt2.)
08-06-2015 12:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
RE: Maddux Sports NIU Football Preview - pretty good
Quote:I think the Huskies win at least 10 games and have a shot at qualifying for one of the New Year’s Six Bowl games.

Interesting. A better chance than last year, given that their performance should be better and not be in any learning-mode like they were to squeak by hapless teams too often which didn't impress voters or anything.

They have a similar fate as last year OOC: 1 team they'll lose against, 1 P5 they very well can beat. Both should be harder, but the one they'll lose against is BETTER, if OSU goes undefeated. IF they beat BC, which I think there's a good chance (I'd go even betting odds) -- they'll be in position to be in the running, BUT...

... the MAC is going to be tougher. So it will be HARDER to reach 12 wins this year (including MACC) than last year where they won 11, but they will have a better team to some degree, and the tougher schedule overall will only help. Especially if their ONLY loss is to an undefeated B1G champ, who's former National Championship winner.

Tougher, besides Arkansas VS OSU:

Boston College vs Northwestern : BC will very possibly be about the same as NW last year, but this is over in Boston, not a party roadtrip in its own backyard with lots of red in the stands.

@Toledo : Toledo (most likely) will not be as bruised running their converted WR into QB. Barring no injuries, this is going to be a LOT tougher.

WMU : With the power of PJ Fleck and the strength of a thousand field mice, and WMU's star RB (likely) uninjured running at 100%, and PJ thirsty for a win in his old backyard in DeKalb, this is going to be about as tough. Possibly viewed as tougher, even though it's in DeKalb.

BSU : They're going to be Better. Semi-Sleeper of the West at least, to hurt people's record here and there.

BGSU (MACC) : Matt Johnson back at QB who was amazing 2 years ago, with the new coach already having a year under his belt -- much tougher to win.

So IF NIU goes 12-1 at the end, they have a Better shot than if they didn't lose to CMU and squeaked it out last year, and was 12-1 at that point.

NIU 12-1 (and say, puts up a fight against OSU by not getting blown out):

- Needs Boise to have 2 losses and looking not great during season, or looking great but 3 losses; or just lose in MW Championship so they Couldn't go anyway
- AAC champ to have 2 losses; with the MAC doing well OOC or AAC champ not making a statement @ 2 losses in their schedule.
- CUSA champ (Marshall?) not to be undefeated. If Marshall has 1 loss, needs to have the MAC doing well OOC to ensure passing them
- GA-Southern not to go undefeated
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2015 04:09 PM by toddjnsn.)
08-06-2015 04:07 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(08-06-2015 04:07 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:I think the Huskies win at least 10 games and have a shot at qualifying for one of the New Year’s Six Bowl games.

Interesting. A better chance than last year, given that their performance should be better and not be in any learning-mode like they were to squeak by hapless teams too often which didn't impress voters or anything.

They have a similar fate as last year OOC: 1 team they'll lose against, 1 P5 they very well can beat. Both should be harder, but the one they'll lose against is BETTER, if OSU goes undefeated. IF they beat BC, which I think there's a good chance (I'd go even betting odds) -- they'll be in position to be in the running, BUT...

... the MAC is going to be tougher. So it will be HARDER to reach 12 wins this year (including MACC) than last year where they won 11, but they will have a better team to some degree, and the tougher schedule overall will only help. Especially if their ONLY loss is to an undefeated B1G champ, who's former National Championship winner.

Boston College vs Northwestern : BC will very possibly be about the same as NW last year, but this is over in Boston, not a party roadtrip in its own backyard with lots of red in the stands.

@Toledo : Toledo (most likely) will not be as bruised running their converted WR into QB. Barring no injuries, this is going to be a LOT tougher.

WMU : With the power of PJ Fleck and the strength of a thousand field mice, and WMU's star RB (likely) uninjured running at 100%, and PJ thirsty for a win in his old backyard in DeKalb, this is going to be about as tough. Possibly viewed as tougher, even though it's in DeKalb.

BSU : They're going to be Better. Semi-Sleeper of the West at least, to hurt people's record here and there.

BGSU (MACC) : Matt Johnson back at QB who was amazing 2 years ago, with the new coach already having a year under his belt -- much tougher to win.

So IF NIU goes 12-1 at the end, they have a Better shot than if they didn't lose to CMU and squeaked it out last year, and was 12-1 at that point.

- Needs Boise to have 2 losses and looking not great during season, or looking great but 3 losses; or just lose in MW Championship so they Couldn't go anyway
- AAC champ to have 2 losses; with the MAC doing well OOC or AAC champ not making a statement @ 2 losses in their schedule.
- CUSA champ (Marshall?) not to be undefeated. If Marshall has 1 loss, needs to have the MAC doing well OOC to ensure passing them

Holy overreaction. Don't get your undies in a bundle Todd. No one here thinks NIU has a chance at the access bowl spot. You can sleep easy tonight.
08-06-2015 04:24 PM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(08-06-2015 04:24 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 04:07 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  

Holy overreaction. Don't get your undies in a bundle Todd. No one here thinks NIU has a chance at the access bowl spot. You can sleep easy tonight.

just thinking of the analysis of the UNLV game giving UNLV an edge for superior coaching. If these 2 guys from big programs are so good one has to wonder why are they at UNLV.
08-06-2015 04:29 PM
Advertisement

timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

(08-06-2015 04:24 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Holy overreaction. Don't get your undies in a bundle Todd. No one here thinks NIU has a chance at the access bowl spot. You can sleep easy tonight.

Speak for yourself. The rest of us aren't down on NIU, like you.
08-06-2015 04:29 PM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
No MAC team should even be thinking about access bowl bids until they hit 8-0 to start the season with quality non conf wins with one being a power 5.
08-06-2015 04:34 PM
NIU8484 Offline
All American

(08-06-2015 04:34 PM)HuskieJ Wrote:  No MAC team should even be thinking about access bowl bids until they hit 8-0 to start the season with quality non conf wins with one being a power 5.

Or 0-1 to start the season....cough*2012*cough
08-06-2015 05:47 PM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:No MAC team should even be thinking about access bowl bids until they hit 8-0 to start the season with quality non conf wins with one being a power 5.

True. However, in the case of...

Quote:Or 0-1 to start the season....cough*2012*cough

... losing to Iowhat, one would have to only start thinking until they're 10-1. Or if everyone else in G5 isn't looking good and OSU is undefeated #1, then maybe 8-1. You know the forums here are going to be buzzing about it if/when they're 4-1. :)

Quote:No one here thinks NIU has a chance at the access bowl spot.

I think they could End Up having a chance IF their only loss is to a stellar OSU. They would definitely have a chance at 12-1, and would be legitimately considered if no G5 team (namely Boise) isn't undefeated. This year the MAC is likely going to be having an Up year, so saying "Yeah, but it's the MAC," isn't going to be as strong an argument.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2015 07:06 PM by toddjnsn.)
08-06-2015 07:05 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(08-06-2015 04:29 PM)timxlydon Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 04:24 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Holy overreaction. Don't get your undies in a bundle Todd. No one here thinks NIU has a chance at the access bowl spot. You can sleep easy tonight.

Im not down on NIU I just cannot a take a full year of Todd's NIU sucks but they have a chance if they are lucky again and they get breaks again because they are really good analysis.
08-06-2015 07:08 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

Just do what the rest of us do and ignore Todd.
08-06-2015 07:09 PM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:Im not down on NIU I just cannot a take a full year of Todd's NIU sucks but

I never said/implied they sucked! I'm breaking down HOW they have a chance, with it being a tougher road, but an improved team. I get flack for saying how they have a chance, and I get flack for saying they suck when I don't! (insert cartoon music here: wa-wa-wa-wa-waaaaa)
08-06-2015 09:38 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(08-06-2015 04:29 PM)timxlydon Wrote:  

My thoughts exactly.
08-07-2015 02:35 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(08-06-2015 04:34 PM)HuskieJ Wrote:  No MAC team should even be thinking about access bowl bids until they hit 8-0 to start the season with quality non conf wins with one being a power 5.
But we can as fans.
08-07-2015 02:37 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

ME:
Quote:Interesting. A better chance than last year, given that their performance should be better and not be in any learning-mode like they were to squeak by hapless teams too often which didn't impress voters or anything.

Quote:Holy overreaction. Don't get your undies in a bundle Todd. No one here thinks NIU has a chance at the access bowl spot. You can sleep easy tonight.

Well, I can't. However -- yes, someone just Did! And guess what??

Oh sh!t. This is an old post, isn't it? I'm here rooting for NIU to make it again... never mind. I need sleep.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2021 04:38 AM by toddjnsn.)
10-29-2021 03:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.