Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

C-USA has Two Schools in Top 10 College Towns
Bookmark and Share
CyrusJS Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WKU
C-USA has Two Schools in Top 10 College Towns
Pretty cool stuff:

Bowling Green, KY ranked as #10 in Livability.com's Top 10 College Towns, along with CUSA school North Texas in at #5. Livability is the most respected site for information on cities across the country. Landing in this list, or any of Livability's lists, is a big, big deal.

The Top 10 was as follows:

10) Bowling Green, KY (WKU)
9) Lincoln, NE (University of Nebraska)
8) Columbia, SC (USC)
7) Gainesville, FL (UF)
6) Cambridge, MA (Harvard & MIT)
5) Denton, TX (UNT)
4) Berkley, CA (UC-Berkely)
3) Columbia, MO (University of Missouri)
2) Durham, NC (Duke)
1) Manhattan, KS (KSU)

C-USA is the only Non-P5 conference with any schools on this list, and we had two schools listed (Minus Harvard & MIT, which are Ivy).

Here's what they had to say about Bowling Green:

Quote:
A spate of construction projects on and around the campus of Western Kentucky University helped the city of Bowling Green, KY engineer one of the nation’s most successful downtown redevelopment efforts. Once underused and blighted buildings are now home to restaurants, offices, apartments and art galleries that lure a steady stream of visitors. Community leaders are seeing the payoff of creating a development district that’s formally called the WKU Gateway to Downtown Bowling Green. The district is expected to bring county and city governments more than $200 million in revenue by 2037. The relationship between university officials and city leaders illustrates why Bowling Green is one of the Top 10 Best College Towns in the country.
As WKU got a new health and science center, dormitory, alumni center and four new fraternity houses the city of Bowling Green added a minor league ballpark, concert venue, shopping centers, a Hyatt Place hotel and office buildings. More than 30 projects have been completed or are under construction in the Gateway district, which has become the city’s entertainment hotspot. Independent restaurants in Bowling Green, bars and shops draw students and full-time residents into downtown. Favorite hangouts for the college crowd include Hilligans Bar & Grill, 440 Main and Tea Bayou, a New Orleans cafe and tea bar.
Among the many performing arts venues in Bowling Green is the 1,800-seat Southern Kentucky Performing Arts Center, better known here as SKyPAC. This large venue opened in 2012 and hosts a variety of performances from orchestra nights and musical acts to one-man shows. Tidball’s, located near the downtown square, packs in an assortment of up-and-coming bands with the occasional national act thrown in the mix. While the National Corvette Museum tops the list of “must see” attractions in Bowling Green the L & N Historic Railpark and Kentucky Museum delight visitors. A collection of caves, lakes and parks surround Bowling Green and provide amazing outdoor adventures.
Fun Fact: The tradition of waving a red towel at sporting events started with WKU basketball coach E.A. Diddle, who clutched a red towel on the sideline, chewed on it, threw it and often waved it at fans and to signal players.
Here's what they had to say about Denton:
Quote:Word: dentoning
Definition: Exploring the shops, restaurants, music venues, and cultural attractions in Denton, TX.
Denton officials are always looking for ways to make their city stand out, like creating new verbs. Uniqueness, diversity and independence are embraced in Denton, a college town that is home to both the University of North Texas and Texas Woman’s University. The city’s organic, grassroots vibe mixes well with the youthful energy that nearly 50,000 college students bring and the innovations business owners continually bring forward, making Denton one of the Top 10 Best College Towns.
See where Denton ranked on our list of the Top 100 Best Places to Live 2015.
Denton’s eclectic music scene holds its own against even much larger cities, with auditory experiences ranging from street corner serenades by jazz groups and singer-songwriters to hip music venues and clubs like Dan’s Silverleaf, Rubber Gloves Rehearsal Studio and Hailey’s. Coffee houses and small pubs often fill with college students looking for a study break and young professionals looking to relax at the end of a busy day. Oak St. Drafthouse is one of the most popular hangouts in Denton, especially when the weather is nice and the patio is open.
The most popular restaurants in Denton serve southern comfort foods like burgers, barbecue and breakfast foods. Rooster’s Roadhouse scores well with diners looking for hearty meals and a great place to people watch. LSA Burger Co. gets plenty of action, especially when they have live music and drink specials. (LSA stands for Lone Star Attitude.)
Surrounding Denton are a collection of horse farms containing one of the highest concentrations of horses in the country. Residents and students often venture into the North Texas Horse Country to catch views of Thoroughbreds, Arabians, Quarter Horses and Warmbloods. A pair of nearby lakes provide opportunities to swim, fish and boat while city parks offer places to picnic, walk, play sports and enjoy the sunshine. Residents are able to use the outdoor pool at TWU for a small fee, while the city also provides a natatorium and outdoor pool.
Fun Fact: A military airport tug purchased on eBay is used to carry the 1,600-pound bell that used at UNT football games and other events.

Source: http://www.livability.com/top-10/college...towns/2015
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 12:28 PM by CyrusJS.)
08-05-2015 12:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
RE: C-USA has Two Schools in Top 10 College Towns
No disrespect to UNT, but I'm left nearly speechless at the fact that Denton is in there when Madison, Wisconsin (home of the University of Wisconsin) is out. Madison's an amazing place and easily one of the premier college towns in the USA. And where's College Station?!? LOL Denton over both Madison and College Station? SERIOUSLY?
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 12:40 PM by Volkmar.)
08-05-2015 12:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
Where's Charlottesville?
08-05-2015 12:44 PM
Alumniner2012 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(08-05-2015 12:27 PM)SigNuTopper Wrote:  2) Durham, NC (Duke)

03-lmfao That is a good one.

Nobody likes Durham. On the weekends you can find more Duke students in Raleigh or even Chapel Hill than you can in Durham.
08-05-2015 12:45 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-05-2015 12:45 PM)Alumniner2012 Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 12:27 PM)SigNuTopper Wrote:  2) Durham, NC (Duke)

03-lmfao That is a good one.

Nobody likes Durham. On the weekends you can find more Duke students in Raleigh or even Chapel Hill than you can in Durham.

Downtown Durham is pretty cool. Chapel Hill's downtown is basically a strip mall for national chains now. Few people are driving 30 miles to Raleigh to hang out.

All that said, Durham isn't really a college town and doesn't deserve to be on the list.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 12:48 PM by Niner National.)
08-05-2015 12:48 PM
07owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
MIT's not ivy
08-05-2015 12:53 PM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(08-05-2015 12:39 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  No disrespect to UNT, but I'm left nearly speechless at the fact that Denton is in there when Madison, Wisconsin (home of the University of Wisconsin) is out. Madison's an amazing place and easily one of the premier college towns in the USA. And where's College Station?!? LOL Denton over both Madison and College Station? SERIOUSLY?

You can't really say "no disrespect to UNT" and then blast our town. I'm from the Galveston area. After graduating from North Texas, I stayed. It really is a great town. Unless you have spent some quality time here, you can't honestly claim it doesn't belong on the list.
08-05-2015 12:58 PM
westsidewolf1989 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(08-05-2015 12:39 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  No disrespect to UNT, but I'm left nearly speechless at the fact that Denton is in there when Madison, Wisconsin (home of the University of Wisconsin) is out. Madison's an amazing place and easily one of the premier college towns in the USA. And where's College Station?!? LOL Denton over both Madison and College Station? SERIOUSLY?

Agreed. Denton is awful...too close to Oklahoma. College Station is a dump too.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 01:02 PM by westsidewolf1989.)
08-05-2015 01:01 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

(08-05-2015 12:58 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

You can't really say "no disrespect to UNT" and then blast our town. I'm from the Galveston area. After graduating from North Texas, I stayed. It really is a great town. Unless you have spent some quality time here, you can't honestly claim it doesn't belong on the list.

UNT isn't the town. When I said "No disrespect to UNT", that's precisely what I meant. And though I haven't spent "quality time" in Denton, I've been there on a couple occasions, been to Madison, been to College Station, and am indeed entitled to my opinion. One of my colleagues also graduated from the University of Wisconsin.

I'm glad you enjoy Denton, but as a college town, I just can't see putting it above College Station and Madison, Wisconsin, at all; especially Madison.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 01:11 PM by Volkmar.)
08-05-2015 01:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-05-2015 01:01 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  

Agreed. Denton is awful...too close to Oklahoma. College Station is a dump too.

Denton is a fun college town. If the worst you can say about Denton is you don't like its' proximity to Oklahoma, then you really have no argument. Denton is roughly the same distance from Oklahoma as Dallas and Fort Worth. 01-wingedeagle

[Image: DentonSquare%20dusk%20by%20Stephen%20A.%20Masker.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 04:43 PM by Side Show Joe.)
08-05-2015 01:09 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure Durham is in the top 10 college towns in the Research Triangle
08-05-2015 01:18 PM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-05-2015 01:08 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  

UNT isn't the town. When I said "No disrespect to UNT", that's precisely what I meant. And though I haven't spent "quality time" in Denton, I've been there on a couple occasions, been to Madison, been to College Station, and am indeed entitled to my opinion. One of my colleagues also graduated from the University of Wisconsin.

I'm glad you enjoy Denton, but as a college town, I just can't see putting it above College Station and Madison, Wisconsin, at all; especially Madison.

UNT's 35,000 students make up a large amount of Denton's 113,000 population, so we are a significant portion of the town. I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Madison and College Station, and you are certainly entitled to your own opinion on this matter.

But, every UNT alum I know believes Denton is a great college town, and every person I know that has spent time in Denton has really enjoyed it. One of my Friends from New York City that graduated from Penn State came to Denton and loved it. He thought it was a great college town.

We will just have to disagree on this issue.
08-05-2015 01:29 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Bowling Green? Lmao.
08-05-2015 01:38 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

I Root For: Louisiana Tech

IMO I like Denton more than College Station. Denton has a really eclectic Downtown with different shops, restaurants and bars. Denton has way more authentic feel to it than College Station.

Having spent considerable time in CS, I would have to rate College Station way down on the list on college towns. Madison Wisconsin, I definitely give agree with you on that.

I think two towns that have a college town vibe to them, and are nice towns that were left off the list are Athens, GA and Fayetteville, AR.

Austin also even though it is major metro area
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 01:41 PM by Dawgxas.)
08-05-2015 01:41 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

(08-05-2015 01:29 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

UNT's 35,000 students make up a large amount of Denton's 113,000 population, so we are a significant portion of the town. I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Madison and College Station, and you are certainly entitled to your own opinion on this matter.

But, every UNT alum I know believes Denton is a great college town, and every person I know that has spent time in Denton has really enjoyed it. One of my Friends from New York City that graduated from Penn State came to Denton and loved it. He thought it was a great college town.

Okay, for the record, I never said Denton wasn't a good college town. I never said I didn't enjoy my visits there. I just can't put it above Madison or College Station. If you wanna talk numbers, College Station has a population of 100K and Texas A&M's enrollment is well over 50K, so that's more than a significant part of the town also. Yes, agree to disagree.
08-05-2015 01:42 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(08-05-2015 01:42 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  

Okay, for the record, I never said Denton wasn't a good college town. I never said I didn't enjoy my visits there. I just can't put it above Madison or College Station. If you wanna talk numbers, College Station has a population of 100K and Texas A&M's enrollment is well over 50K, so that's more than a significant part of the town also. Yes, agree to disagree.

To each it's own. CS kinda reminds me of the suburbs, no real authentic college town vibe to it like some other college towns Athens, Fayetteville. CS has no real downtown, just the group of bars and restaurants across from A&M, dixie chicken. And a lot strip malls with chain restaurants
08-05-2015 01:52 PM
Advertisement

ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
Never heard of it.

But I lived in Durham for a year running the CPL's franchise at the DAP. Yeah...um...no.
08-05-2015 02:15 PM
WEARE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall, TOSU
Great for the conference and selected schools.
08-05-2015 02:23 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm guessing Denton was a bigger party town in the early 80s when the Von Erichs were snorting anything they couldn't shoot into their veins.
08-05-2015 02:28 PM
Nugget49er Offline
1st String

I do not have a dog in this fight because Charlotte is definitely not a college town. I will say that no list that puts Columbia, SC in the Top 100 looks valid to me. Great place to tailgate, lousy place to live. Congrats to WKU and UNT though.
08-05-2015 02:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.