Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jonesboro Radio Station's interview with CC officals
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
Jonesboro Radio Station's interview with CC officals
http://www.953theticket.com/?p=11146 (Interview with Ryan Young of the Myrtle Beach Sun Times)

http://www.953theticket.com/?p=11120 (Matt Houge, CC's Athletic Director)
08-03-2015 07:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: Jonesboro Radio Station's interview with CC officals
Leave it to Jonesboro to get the story.

Also...Houge doesn't agree to this interview if they were not seriously interested. Props to him for doing it. Station has been snubbed by far lesser people before.
08-03-2015 07:50 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
I've said it before, I'll say it again. I'm jealous of the coverage you guys get from your local media.

Now, I can't listen, can someone summarize the interviews for me?
08-03-2015 07:58 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
I heart the Jonesboro StAte station.
08-03-2015 08:01 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
It is impressive of the coverage they give A State. The interview was solid too - asked important questions without being ti=oo invasive and I thought Hogue did a great job answering them - as honest as he could be given the situation.
08-03-2015 08:27 PM
stAte-Alumni2012 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(08-03-2015 07:58 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I've said it before, I'll say it again. I'm jealous of the coverage you guys get from your local media.

The are good at it for two reasons. 1) They are professionals and they recognize the need for a station in this state to provide good factual information about the program. Any mention on central Arkansas radio of ASU is normally kind of rightish and typically colored with a healthy dose of SOW bias. 2) More often than not these people are passionate about ASU and the Jonesboro community as a whole.
08-03-2015 09:02 PM
Advertisement

RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
On top of the long standing ABC affiliate KAIT8 in Jonesboro, a FOX and CBS station is being established in Jonesboro and if memory serves me correctly one if not both will have their own News Station which I'm certainly hoping will further help enhance and grow the localized coverage of Astate
08-03-2015 09:06 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(08-03-2015 07:58 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I've said it before, I'll say it again. I'm jealous of the coverage you guys get from your local media.

Here is a quick summary. Cliff notes version.

Asked if surprised by tweets from Benson.
-No not really, convos had happened.

Were you expecting the name out in public
-Eventually, info will come out as convos happen

How would you classify the convos between CCU and SBC
-They're real. SBC is trying to learn about CCU and where the schools programs stand. Our success has lead to folks taking interest. Definitely serious conversations.

Is SBC only conference you have talked with
-It is

EKU has made it known they want to move up, is FBS part of your plan?
-It's moving that direction. When conference shows interest, President gave approval a couple years ago to let us explore if option opens

What needs to be done from a facilities standpoint
-Football stadium is beautiful and new. Would have to expand. If things progress I don't we would hesitant to pursue that if needed. Got new baseball and softball. Plans for soccer and track

SBC appears to be looking for travel partner for App St
- Don't know about that, some concerns about putting together schedule and travel. Think CCU can fit in to it.

Hypothetically, could see moving oly sports but stay FCS in football
-I don't know that's feasible. Could phase in (aka normal football move time frame). Should be all in.

How quick could you be ready?
-Oly instantaneously ready. Major factor is football stadium expanding.

Could agreement be reached where oly comes then football after expansion.
-It could but its still very early. President and board would have to review and approve. Who knows what next step will be.

Budget wise are you on par with SBC
-I feel we are. We might not spend the most but we invest well.

Is it a fair statement to say there is a mutual interest between both parties
-Yes, but a lot of factors to make it happen

Lots of talk about recent CCU sports success. Motivated by GS, App, Charlotte, ODU.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 09:32 PM by slycat.)
08-03-2015 09:30 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
That was the AD interview. not interested in the beat writer interview.
08-03-2015 09:36 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(08-03-2015 09:02 PM)stAte-Alumni2012 Wrote:  

The are good at it for two reasons. 1) They are professionals and they recognize the need for a station in this state to provide good factual information about the program. Any mention on central Arkansas radio of ASU is normally kind of rightish and typically colored with a healthy dose of SOW bias. 2) More often than not these people are passionate about ASU and the Jonesboro community as a whole.

Number of factors really.

Past AD despite his shortcomings pushed tailgate culture. That developed a good foundation in the fans.
Worked with the Chamber for Paint the Town Red and it evolved into a year round way of doing business.
Local radio station owner got the rights to games and figured out unlike the other rights holders that for it to work well program profile had to go up, started pushing his sports station to do more AState on the local programs, listeners responded so we now have two hours exclusive AState but much of the day is nearly exclusive AState.
Winning just fed it all that much more.
08-03-2015 09:57 PM
DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(08-03-2015 09:36 PM)slycat Wrote:  That was the AD interview. not interested in the beat writer interview.

Beat writer said that Benson and the 'committee' were visiting Coastal next week and announcers said they'd follow up.
08-03-2015 10:06 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

Local media has to understand that you can get pig news anywhere. Its a commodity. But A-State is their exclusive pond. The more they promote, the bigger and more profitable their exclusive pond gets.
08-03-2015 10:57 PM
chiefsfan Offline

I'm just upset that Wintzell's doesn't have a Jonesboro location yet...
08-03-2015 11:16 PM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(08-03-2015 10:57 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Local media has to understand that you can get pig news anywhere. Its a commodity. But A-State is their exclusive pond. The more they promote, the bigger and more profitable their exclusive pond gets.

By now, I hope they know thier reach is a lot farther than that. They have in some ways become the flagship outlet for sun belt sports. I for one am grateful for that.
08-04-2015 12:11 AM
chiefsfan Offline

(08-04-2015 12:11 AM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 10:57 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Local media has to understand that you can get pig news anywhere. Its a commodity. But A-State is their exclusive pond. The more they promote, the bigger and more profitable their exclusive pond gets.

By now, I hope they know thier reach is a lot farther than that. They have in some ways become the flagship outlet for sun belt sports. I for one am grateful for that.

Judging by a lot of the coverage that they give to other Sun Belt Teams, I think they do now. Used to the only SBC tied interviews you could get were King Karl, now they are known enough at the conference level that they can usually get anyone from a school that they need to come on. I think Georgia State is the only one to deny them an interview request in the last year. Well league school that is.
08-04-2015 07:07 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I also found it interesting when asked if he felt of CCU was ready for a move to sunbelt/FBS, beat writer said he thought the Chanticleers (under ideal scenario) wouldn't have made the big jump for another 5 years, (he stated football stadium needs to be addressed as well as needing more time to build up there fan base), however because they were approached by the belt as well as ready to leave the big south he felt they would do anything in order to join and become viable

He touched on the one thing I have been concerned with about CCU-a program that is not even 12 years old with no generation of fans; he also stated CCU is still struggle to find their niche in SC due to South Carolina and clemson
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 08:31 AM by RamblinRedWolf.)
08-04-2015 08:29 AM
Advertisement

FoUTASportscaster Online
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
(08-04-2015 07:07 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 12:11 AM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  

Judging by a lot of the coverage that they give to other Sun Belt Teams, I think they do now. Used to the only SBC tied interviews you could get were King Karl, now they are known enough at the conference level that they can usually get anyone from a school that they need to come on. I think Georgia State is the only one to deny them an interview request in the last year. Well league school that is.

Anything they've done with UTA?
08-04-2015 08:42 AM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
OK, so the committee has been to EKU and CCU. Did they recently go to Las Cruces?

If so, we may be looking at finishing expansion once and for all. SBC-14
08-04-2015 11:27 AM
theultimateaggie Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU
(08-04-2015 11:27 AM)CAJUNNATION Wrote:  OK, so the committee has been to EKU and CCU. Did they recently go to Las Cruces?

I dont think they need to. They have been to Las Cruces already. I agree with you SBC-14. Reason being both EKU and CCU seem real optimistic about their chances getting invited. I dont think you make major facility renovations unless you felt you were getting invited. I think you invite the three everyone is happy.
08-04-2015 11:35 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(08-04-2015 11:35 AM)theultimateaggie Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 11:27 AM)CAJUNNATION Wrote:  OK, so the committee has been to EKU and CCU. Did they recently go to Las Cruces?

I dont think they need to. They have been to Las Cruces already. I agree with you SBC-14. Reason being both EKU and CCU seem real optimistic about their chances getting invited. I dont think you make major facility renovations unless you felt you were getting invited. I think you invite the three everyone is happy.

This would only work if we are dropping Idaho or one of the non-football schools or if UTA were to add football otherwise we would still have uneven divisions.
08-04-2015 11:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.