Is that so?

[Image: belushiBBPS.jpg]
08-03-2015 03:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
RE: 2015 Princeton Review- Top 20 Party Schools
(08-03-2015 03:01 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Is that so?

[Image: belushiBBPS.jpg]

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
08-03-2015 03:15 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
Man, Faber College used to be in that list, but that was before they banned the Delta Tau Chi fraternity.
08-03-2015 03:19 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
We need to get off that ranking. Let's make the top-25 in Forbes', or the top-25 in the USNWR.
08-03-2015 03:29 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
2 MAC teams in the top 20. At least it's something.
08-03-2015 03:34 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
You know it's a good old fashioned Ivy League ribbing when three Patriot schools are nearly all in the top ten.

Bucknell and PSU are a one-two punch of Pennsyltucky greatness. Out in the middle of nowhere or places time forgot, what else can you do?

And it's not fair, really...even at PSU, I used to hear about the crazy stuff people were doing at IUP and UPJ...from what I gathered, partying was all one *could* do out there.
08-03-2015 03:57 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(08-03-2015 03:29 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  We need to get off that ranking. Let's make the top-25 in Forbes', or the top-25 in the USNWR.

UCSB does very well in research university rankings. Ranked #29 among U.S. schools by ARWU, #40 among U.S. schools by CWUR, #23 among U.S. schools by THE.
08-03-2015 04:28 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(08-03-2015 04:28 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 03:29 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  We need to get off that ranking. Let's make the top-25 in Forbes', or the top-25 in the USNWR.

UCSB does very well in research university rankings. Ranked #29 among U.S. schools by ARWU, #40 among U.S. schools by CWUR, #23 among U.S. schools by THE.

Yes - partying and top academics aren't mutually exclusive. Illinois and Wisconsin are almost always in the top 10 for public universities for undergrad and have an even higher reputation for grad programs. Also note that Animal House was based on the fraternity scene at Dartmouth. If anything, it seems as though the Princeton Review tries to not make its party school list just filled with academic deadweights where you can get by with partying 24/7. Most of these places on the list seem to be "work hard/play hard" schools as opposed to "play hard/play harder" campuses.

I definitely know it was the former at my time at Illinois - it was a place where you were expected to both get good grades while still drinking people under the table on the weekends. There's definitely a heavy drinking culture there with the large Greek system and large concentration of bars.
08-03-2015 04:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
ILL-INI!!

We are number 1!
08-03-2015 04:45 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I am proud of how far my alma mater has come in the world of academia. It's a consistent ascent which doesn't get much play nationally. Also noteworthy that UCSB is the only school who's in the top 20 Princeton Review party rankings that doesn't play football. Still, I wish the party reputation would be less than it is.

I'd like to see us be more like Cal, UCLA and Louisville - plenty of school spirit with a balanced athletics profile and high attendance in numerous sports. The party reputation should complement the athletics and academic strengths, not dominate them.
08-03-2015 04:57 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(08-03-2015 04:57 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

I am proud of how far my alma mater has come in the world of academia. It's a consistent ascent which doesn't get much play nationally. Also noteworthy that UCSB is the only school who's in the top 20 Princeton Review party rankings that doesn't play football. Still, I wish the party reputation would be less than it is.

I'd like to see us be more like Cal, UCLA and Louisville - plenty of school spirit with a balanced athletics profile and high attendance in numerous sports. The party reputation should complement the athletics and academic strengths, not dominate them.

To be sure, my understanding is that you could walk to Pacific Ocean beaches from your campus and then head to mountains in the other direction. (I haven't made it out to Santa Barbara, but everything that I've heard is that it's about as spectacular as any area in the continental US.) Any campus that has that type of location ought to have some fun. In Champaign, we mainly had a large choice of bars. (Granted, we do have a ton of cultural activities with great music and arts programs. There's a lot to do in Champaign for a college kid... but it's definitely not a place to come for the natural scenery.) Be glad that your fellow Gauchos make the most of your location much more than, say, Pepperdine or UCSD. I've visited the former and I was somewhat surprised by how not-into-nightlife it was considering its vacation postcard location.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 05:18 PM by Frank the Tank.)
08-03-2015 05:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jdgaucho Offline
All American

The Princeton party rankings, by conference breakdown:

4 - Big Ten
3 - Patriot, SEC
2 - ACC, MAC
1 - B12, America East, Big West, AAC, Big South, North Coast Athletic Conference (D3)
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 05:16 PM by jdgaucho.)
08-03-2015 05:16 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

(08-03-2015 05:14 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  To be sure, my understanding is that you could walk to Pacific Ocean beaches from your campus and then head to mountains in the other direction. (I haven't made it out to Santa Barbara, but everything that I've heard is that it's about as spectacular as any area in the continental US.) Any campus that has that type of location ought to have some fun. In Champaign, we mainly had a large choice of bars. (Granted, we do have a ton of cultural activities with great music and arts programs. There's a lot to do in Champaign... but it's definitely not a place to come for the natural scenery.) Be glad that your fellow Gauchos make the most of your location much more than, say, Pepperdine or UCSD. I've visited the former and I was somewhat surprised by how not-into-nightlife it was considering its vacation postcard location.

Your understanding is correct. I lived on-campus during my time at UC Santa Barbara and it was no more than a 15 minute walk from my apartment to the beach; my last year as a student it was a just a 5-10 minute walk. I just wish we could become a player in basketball and baseball, but that's for another day.

One of my friends completed his undergraduate studies at Pepperdine and he echoed your sentiments exactly (interestingly enough, he did his postgraduate studies at UCSB). Beautiful location, strong academic rankings, no real nightlife or party scene - and this is Malibu!! UC San Diego is right up there with the top dogs academically but they have zero school spirit.
08-03-2015 05:24 PM
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U

The College of Knowledge, as it is known around these parts, came in at No. 20 on that list and they too lack a football program.

I am impressed that four B1G schools showed up on the list, including locking down the top three spots. Given West Virginia's strong ratings on this scale this should trump any lingering academic/AAU concerns and fuel further WVU to the B1G speculation.
08-03-2015 05:28 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

(08-03-2015 05:28 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  

The College of Knowledge, as it is known around these parts, came in at No. 20 on that list and they too lack a football program.

I am impressed that four B1G schools showed up on the list, including locking down the top three spots. Given West Virginia's strong ratings on this scale this should trump any lingering academic/AAU concerns and fuel further WVU to the B1G speculation.

I stand corrected with Charleston. Okay, so that's two of 20 teams without football.
08-03-2015 05:39 PM
Advertisement

perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
so glad to see Ohio continue to slide down these rankings. will be happy when they are off all together.
08-03-2015 06:04 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(08-03-2015 05:24 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 05:14 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  To be sure, my understanding is that you could walk to Pacific Ocean beaches from your campus and then head to mountains in the other direction. (I haven't made it out to Santa Barbara, but everything that I've heard is that it's about as spectacular as any area in the continental US.) Any campus that has that type of location ought to have some fun. In Champaign, we mainly had a large choice of bars. (Granted, we do have a ton of cultural activities with great music and arts programs. There's a lot to do in Champaign... but it's definitely not a place to come for the natural scenery.) Be glad that your fellow Gauchos make the most of your location much more than, say, Pepperdine or UCSD. I've visited the former and I was somewhat surprised by how not-into-nightlife it was considering its vacation postcard location.

Your understanding is correct. I lived on-campus during my time at UC Santa Barbara and it was no more than a 15 minute walk from my apartment to the beach; my last year as a student it was a just a 5-10 minute walk. I just wish we could become a player in basketball and baseball, but that's for another day.

One of my friends completed his undergraduate studies at Pepperdine and he echoed your sentiments exactly (interestingly enough, he did his postgraduate studies at UCSB). Beautiful location, strong academic rankings, no real nightlife or party scene - and this is Malibu!! UC San Diego is right up there with the top dogs academically but they have zero school spirit.

Malibu is for celebrities and other older rich people. And AFAIK none of the WCC schools have much in the way of on-campus partying. If you went to Pepperdine, you'd party in Santa Monica and west LA.
08-03-2015 06:08 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Would've thought Miami was higher than 19 honestly. Oxford is 20 minutes from civilization, it's a bubble that fosters a drinking culture. Good or bad, when you bring a lot of wealthy out-of-state college kids together with such a powerful Greek system, most the time the booze will flow like the Nile.
08-03-2015 06:15 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
How is Michigan State not on this list? Every other review site rates Sparty highly.
08-03-2015 06:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.