Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Recruiting has returned to Troy.
Bookmark and Share
Hector of Troy Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: TROY
Recruiting has returned to Troy.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/..._gast.html

A week after visiting ULL, this guy is verbally committed to Troy.

Several other Verbal Commits have been announced with other guys with offers From App State, USA, Memphis, ULL, Ark State and so on.

Nice to see good recruiting returning to our program.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 03:51 PM by Hector of Troy.)
07-31-2015 03:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hector of Troy Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Recuriting has returned to Troy.
J.L. weighed all his options," Turberville said. "Both schools did a good job of making him feel important. I know it was tough for him to tell Louisiana-Lafayette no. I really think it came down to the fact that Troy did an excellent job of selling him on being from Alabama and staying in Alabama.
07-31-2015 03:42 PM
sidslidkid Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Recruiting has returned to Troy.
I wish there was a way to know if a school actually offered a kid or not. I'm not saying this kid is making up offers, but 247 says he only had two other offers, GaSt and Murray State: http://247sports.com/Player/JL-Gaston-82204

Again, not saying this kid is making up any of those offers at all. Just pointing out the discrepancy between the 20 offers mentioned in this article and what is listed on 247.

It would be fun/insane if schools listed their offers publicly.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 04:04 PM by sidslidkid.)
07-31-2015 04:04 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(07-31-2015 04:04 PM)sidslidkid Wrote:  I wish there was a way to know if a school actually offered a kid or not. I'm not saying this kid is making up offers, but 247 says he only had two other offers, GaSt and Murray State: http://247sports.com/Player/JL-Gaston-82204

Again, not saying this kid is making up any of those offers at all. Just pointing out the discrepancy between the 20 offers mentioned in this article and what is listed on 247.

Between Rivals, Scout, 247, and ESPN, there's always some discrepancy. In many cases Rivals will have a kid with no offers, and 247 will show the same kid with 8 offers.

Did he make up offers? No way to tell. I do like how we are keeping guys in state for the most part. In years past, SBC teams have come to Dothan and Montgomery to get athletes. You're seeing a lot less of that now. Louisiana had a guy a few years ago that played ten minutes from Troy in a tiny town called Goshen. That may not happen again for a long time.
07-31-2015 04:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Nice. Just what the doctor ordered.
07-31-2015 04:16 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Whether or not a kid had a committable offer is the real question. Schools offer 200 plus scholarships for 25 guys.
07-31-2015 04:19 PM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(07-31-2015 04:19 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Whether or not a kid had a committable offer is the real question. Schools offer 200 plus scholarships for 25 guys.

True words. When I hear some on here brag loudly about P5 offers, I often wonder if those kids were P5's backup plans in case they couldn't get the kids they were really after. Especially the ones that come to SBC schools a week before signing day.
07-31-2015 05:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WhitetailWizard Offline
2nd String

Some kids indeed make up offers,others misunderstand offers.Usually the earlier in the process the purer the offer list is.Kids that hang around very late and sign SBC,take one official and tout 4 P5 offers are highly suspect.

Now kids are tweeting "commitments" to schools as walk ons and some even "signing" aid agreements (non athletic) on signing day to further the confusion.

That said,when a coach weighs in in an article it carries alot more credibility and probably is correct

Early signing day will help some with this.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 09:12 PM by WhitetailWizard.)
07-31-2015 09:05 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(07-31-2015 03:38 PM)Hector of Troy Wrote:  http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/..._gast.html

A week after visiting ULL, this guy is verbally committed to Troy.

Several other Verbal Commits have been announced with other guys with offers From App State, USA, Memphis, ULL, Ark State and so on.

Nice to see good recruiting returning to our program.

(07-31-2015 04:10 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(07-31-2015 04:04 PM)sidslidkid Wrote:  I wish there was a way to know if a school actually offered a kid or not. I'm not saying this kid is making up offers, but 247 says he only had two other offers, GaSt and Murray State: http://247sports.com/Player/JL-Gaston-82204

Between Rivals, Scout, 247, and ESPN, there's always some discrepancy. In many cases Rivals will have a kid with no offers, and 247 will show the same kid with 8 offers.

Did he make up offers? No way to tell. I do like how we are keeping guys in state for the most part. In years past, SBC teams have come to Dothan and Montgomery to get athletes. You're seeing a lot less of that now. Louisiana had a guy a few years ago that played ten minutes from Troy in a tiny town called Goshen. That may not happen again for a long time.
In the past most of the major sites were fairly accurate (much more so for the 'major' schools) up until the last week or so of the recruiting cycle, then it was on to next year.

Obviously recruiting does not stop at signing day so if a person wanted to really evaluate a class, it took time and effort.

That is changing.

All the sites, but especially 247, are making a big effort to be accurate 24/7/365, and are still adjusting their rankings for the 2015 class (while 247 still show two A-State commits that are on campus as 'hard commits' they will correct if informed), and appreciate anyone , including fans, that help them stay accurate.

While most fans simply vent their frustration about the inaccuracy of those sites on forums like this, the more aggressive fan bases do contact them. Since the Den became a Scout site they have been the catalyst for the information about A-State recruiting being more accurate not only on Scout, but Rivals and 247.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2015 07:38 AM by Seminole Indian.)
08-01-2015 07:24 AM
ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
College football recruiting has so many layers to what an offer actually is that sometimes these kids don't even know half of it. Unless it is in writing that a school is offering a scholly, then you don't have an offer. When a ton of these verbal offers are put out recruiters at schools are just throwing their lot into the game usually, they will gauge return interest from the prospect and go from there. This is how the process shakes out 99.9% of the time, its a fickle beast too. I would advise most kids to sign a FAA early in their senior seasons or off season due to the simple fact that if a serious injury occurs the offers worth nothing are exactly that. The smartest or most advised kids are committing to schools right now, then of course there are the ones who crave the attention or the game.
08-01-2015 08:46 AM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(07-31-2015 09:05 PM)WhitetailWizard Wrote:  Some kids indeed make up offers,others misunderstand offers.Usually the earlier in the process the purer the offer list is.Kids that hang around very late and sign SBC,take one official and tout 4 P5 offers are highly suspect.

Now kids are tweeting "commitments" to schools as walk ons and some even "signing" aid agreements (non athletic) on signing day to further the confusion.

That said,when a coach weighs in in an article it carries alot more credibility and probably is correct

Coaches can't comment on a prospect until after they sign.
08-01-2015 08:54 AM
Advertisement

trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

Sleeper Athletes ‏@SleeperAthletes

That's how you know who really wants you, they will make it a priority you get it on the 1st day ? #OfficialOffers
08-01-2015 11:29 AM
Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
Congrats to Troy and their newest Trojans!
08-01-2015 11:50 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

Latest commit is HUGE! Lets hope we can keep him, though. Guys like this will be tough to keep from bigger programs once they offer.

http://247sports.com/Player/Zo-Bridges-78832
08-01-2015 03:54 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-01-2015 03:54 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Latest commit is HUGE! Lets hope we can keep him, though. Guys like this will be tough to keep from bigger programs once they offer.

http://247sports.com/Player/Zo-Bridges-78832

Very big commit for sure.

He's all in for the Trojans on Twitter ATM.
08-01-2015 07:17 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

Some beef from JagsJungle (South Alabama) about Zo Bridges picking Troy:

http://southalabama.247sports.com/Board/...y-38520253

#BrickSquad 05-mafia
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2015 02:14 PM by TroyFootball05.)
08-02-2015 02:13 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

South and others better get use to this
08-02-2015 02:33 PM
WhitetailWizard Offline
2nd String

(08-01-2015 08:54 AM)OsageJ Wrote:  
(07-31-2015 09:05 PM)WhitetailWizard Wrote:  Some kids indeed make up offers,others misunderstand offers.Usually the earlier in the process the purer the offer list is.Kids that hang around very late and sign SBC,take one official and tout 4 P5 offers are highly suspect.

Coaches can't comment on a prospect until after they sign.

I wasn't talking about College coaches but the players' high school coach that comments during the process.
08-02-2015 04:24 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(07-31-2015 05:19 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(07-31-2015 04:19 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Whether or not a kid had a committable offer is the real question. Schools offer 200 plus scholarships for 25 guys.

True words. When I hear some on here brag loudly about P5 offers, I often wonder if those kids were P5's backup plans in case they couldn't get the kids they were really after. Especially the ones that come to SBC schools a week before signing day.

It happens all the time. Heck, one of the kids you guys just got committed had an offer like that from us. It was not an offer he could commit to, but basically, "we'll give you a scholarship, but don't commit to it yet because we're not sure that we have the space just yet."

Many of the P5 offers you see are like that. These kids are potential options down the road whenever recruiting starts to play out, so the school sends a "conditional" offer that basically exists only of the Space can be made out. The problem is many kids don't understand exactly what that means, and those that do are likely encouraged to report it as an offer because it makes them look better to other schools. Indeed, P5 schools are pretty famous for haunting commitment lists of top level G5 programs late in January when it's time to fill out the class, looking for kids they could flip. Arkansas does it to us all the time.
08-02-2015 04:37 PM
WhitetailWizard Offline
2nd String

"we'll give you a scholarship, but don't commit to it yet because we're not sure that we have the space just yet."

NEVER heard of that one!Kinda don't think it goes down like that at the point of the "offer".

If you are correct then Ark State will purposely issue an uncommitble offer while pulling offers if a kid takes an official after commiting......

One way street in Jonesboro??

If a school told my son that I would show them the door.Most schools tell recruits how many spots at that position and then deem offers uncommitible after needs are filled,communicating along the way.I would think stAte is no different.

High School Coaches don't like programs jacking around their players,thus stAte is smarter than that.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2015 04:54 PM by WhitetailWizard.)
08-02-2015 04:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.