Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Are the Olympics DOA?
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Are the Olympics DOA?
Today they awarded Beijing the 2022 Winter Games despite that city's lack of snow (artificial snow will mostly be used and venues perhaps 100-150 miles away from the city).

The other day, Boston withdrew its USOC bid for the Summer Games. Supposedly Los Angeles might be a replacement nominee but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if we just choose not to bid anymore in the future for future Games.

I do think we'll bid on future World Cups, but I do wonder if we've seen the last of any Olympics on U.S. soil?
07-31-2015 12:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Are the Olympics DOA?
They are about to jump into the waters in Rio and swim in sewage sludge.
07-31-2015 01:12 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
This is a perfect example of you need to destroy the village to save the village. I think the Olympics will be radically re-imagined into smaller venues, formats and cities.
07-31-2015 01:34 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(07-31-2015 01:34 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  This is a perfect example of you need to destroy the village to save the village. I think the Olympics will be radically re-imagined into smaller venues, formats and cities.

I sure hope so. It is disheartening to see the Olympics today just go to whoever gives the most money to the organization and promises the fanciest stadiums even if it means you can't drink the water or breathe the air.
07-31-2015 01:42 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
The Olympics should move to more of a WC model where there is a host country rather than a host city. For huge countries like the U.S., maybe have a region host. For example, you could have a Boston, NYC, Philly, DC host region or a SF, Los Angeles, San Diego region.

This would cut down on the amount of new crap that has to be built. We have enough Olympic caliber venues in this country (and so do many other developed countries) to host the Olympics without really spending any new money on infrastructure.
07-31-2015 01:42 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-31-2015 01:42 PM)Niner National Wrote:  The Olympics should move to more of a WC model where there is a host country rather than a host city. For huge countries like the U.S., maybe have a region host. For example, you could have a Boston, NYC, Philly, DC host region or a SF, Los Angeles, San Diego region.

This would cut down on the amount of new crap that has to be built. We have enough Olympic caliber venues in this country (and so do many other developed countries) to host the Olympics without really spending any new money on infrastructure.

Yes, as long as it's not like NYC and LA, that would probably be a lot better. I know right now they do that on a very local scale, like in Sochi and Vancouver the last 2 Winters. It would be much better than just doing it in one giant metro area. Spread out the impacts... makes more sense to me.
07-31-2015 01:47 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
For starters they need to redistribute some sports. The Winter Olympics have twice the headache as the summer games, but half the prestige. Indoor sports like Wrestling, Basketball, Swimming, Diving, Handball, Ping, Pong, & Badminton should be moved to open up the winter games to more countries.

Next the IOC has to shut the **** up with their ridiculous demands on the host countries. No fancy hotels, or car lanes. Just the basic necessities to run the thing and your IOC members will watch from the stands and not be treated like royalty.
07-31-2015 01:53 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
The Economist had the best quote ever on this

"Beijing awarded Winter Olympics in 2022. Qatar was robbed".
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 02:13 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
07-31-2015 02:13 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

The Winter Olympics are dead. No one wants them. So now for the 2026 Winter Olympics: No one in the US wants them. Canada doesn't want them. Europe doesn't want them. Kazakhstan will be a joke still in a few years. S Korea and China just hosted them. Tokyo has the 2020 Olympics. I suppose its back to Russia or Japan in 2026. My guess is that they'll have to start paying the West to host the games.

I think the Summer games are about 20 years away from no one wanting to host them.
07-31-2015 02:16 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I guess there remains the potential for a permanent Olympic venue. I suggest Vancouver for the Winter Olympics and London for the Summer Games.
07-31-2015 02:39 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(07-31-2015 02:39 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I guess there remains the potential for a permanent Olympic venue. I suggest Vancouver for the Winter Olympics and London for the Summer Games.

This would be a good idea IMO, but it'll never happen. To many developing countries want to prove they're better than they are and will throw anything they have at the games to host them.

I'm sure some shithole in Africa will rob their people to pay for the games in the next 20 years. My money is on Lagos, Nairobi, or Johannesburg (although in their case they'll be trying to prove that they haven't fallen to shithole status).
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 02:53 PM by Niner National.)
07-31-2015 02:53 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(07-31-2015 01:12 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  They are about to jump into the waters in Rio and swim in sewage sludge.

And dead bodies (Google it).

The Olympics will be back in the US because we're perhaps the only country in the world that has multiple cities that have most of the necessary facilities already built. Either that or they'll stick to a permanent site (which they should) and no place would make more sense than Athens. There's also the corporate angle and the money to be bribed--err, made by hosting the Olympics here. Its only been 13 years since the US hosted an Olympics (and 5 years since Canada did so), so I'd say we're just fine.

(07-31-2015 01:42 PM)Niner National Wrote:  The Olympics should move to more of a WC model where there is a host country rather than a host city. For huge countries like the U.S., maybe have a region host. For example, you could have a Boston, NYC, Philly, DC host region or a SF, Los Angeles, San Diego region.

The issue with that is suddenly the average Olympic fan would not have easy access to most of the events and would have to travel to multiple cities and not just one site. This is especially problematic to international visitors to another country, especially to one as large as the US or Russia as opposed to the UK or Japan.

That said, financially, that makes a ton of more sense than having random cities, especially outside the US, spend so much booty to build new facilities.

(07-31-2015 02:39 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I guess there remains the potential for a permanent Olympic venue. I suggest Vancouver for the Winter Olympics and London for the Summer Games.

Nowhere would make more sense than Athens for the Summer games.
07-31-2015 04:22 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

Vancouver lost a pant load on the last games. They want no part of the games.
07-31-2015 05:49 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Are the Olympics DOA?
(07-31-2015 04:22 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(07-31-2015 01:12 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  They are about to jump into the waters in Rio and swim in sewage sludge.

And dead bodies (Google it).

The Olympics will be back in the US because we're perhaps the only country in the world that has multiple cities that have most of the necessary facilities already built. Either that or they'll stick to a permanent site (which they should) and no place would make more sense than Athens. There's also the corporate angle and the money to be bribed--err, made by hosting the Olympics here. Its only been 13 years since the US hosted an Olympics (and 5 years since Canada did so), so I'd say we're just fine.

The issue with that is suddenly the average Olympic fan would not have easy access to most of the events and would have to travel to multiple cities and not just one site. This is especially problematic to international visitors to another country, especially to one as large as the US or Russia as opposed to the UK or Japan.

That said, financially, that makes a ton of more sense than having random cities, especially outside the US, spend so much booty to build new facilities.

Nowhere would make more sense than Athens for the Summer games.
Have you seen what's happened to the venues from the 2000 Summer Games? Greece will never be able to afford to rebuild. Honestly, Athens, Georgia would be in better position than Athens, Greece.

Salt Lake City could be a viable permanent host for the Winter Games - it's a good way to keep US TV partners involved, as US TV rights make up a sizable portion of the IOC's budget. The venues still exist and are in good condition.
07-31-2015 06:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Other than the pure spectacle of it all, I really don't see where the Olympics are filling some pressing need in the world of sports. Their downside is lower than their upside is high. I don't believe I would miss them a bit if the Olympics were euthanized. I'm sure advertisers would find something else to spend their money on.
07-31-2015 07:13 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

Honestly they couldn't have picked a worse city than Beijing. Almaty would have been phenomenally better.
07-31-2015 08:19 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
It should be host nations with a lead city instead of host cities.

You do that and there are probably a dozen sites in the US for the summer games (Los Angeles, New York City, Boston, Miami, Atlanta, San Diego, Orlando, Chicago, Charlotte, Houston, Dallas, St. Louis) and probably a half dozen sites in the US for the winter games (Denver, Salt Lake City, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Seattle).

The "royalty" treatment for the IOC is also total BS and should be a non-starter.
08-01-2015 01:23 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(07-31-2015 06:49 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Have you seen what's happened to the venues from the 2000 Summer Games? Greece will never be able to afford to rebuild. Honestly, Athens, Georgia would be in better position than Athens, Greece.

Salt Lake City could be a viable permanent host for the Winter Games - it's a good way to keep US TV partners involved, as US TV rights make up a sizable portion of the IOC's budget. The venues still exist and are in good condition.

If they were subsidized by the IOC to keep up the facilities, it could work. Athens makes perfect sense a permanent host since nobody wants to host them anymore.
08-01-2015 11:19 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU

This. Seems very logical.
08-01-2015 09:06 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Interesting idea. It could be done on a broader basis-something like a rotation:
Summer Olympics-Los Angeles, Athens, Beijing
Winter Olympics-Vancouver, Stockholm, Sapporo
08-01-2015 09:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.