Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USAtoday: paul myberg does podcast on g5
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
USAtoday: paul myberg does podcast on g5
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca.../30768825/

interesting listen if you have 45mins

summary: boise by a mile as favorite for the spot, no chance at not winning the mwc.....then cincy
sunbelt has zero chance what so ever
07-31-2015 12:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

RE: USAtoday: paul myberg does podcast on g5
other notes: mwc/aac top 2 g5 (obvious to every non c-usa fan), boise has a chance at playoff (need non fsu aac championship, 2 loss big12 champ)

has a hard time seeing AAC as a group of 5 team...thinks temple/psu...ecu/florida are winnable games ...thinks mwc is better today (because boise) but thinks the aac could push for a power league and potential if we win ..3 and 4 loss champions wont cut it (his definition of power is an auto playoff spot, because he thinks the playoff will go to 8)

wku loses to vandy they are done can only lose to lsu ...marshall weak schedule doesnt control own destiny
uab woould have been good if they didnt shut down
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2015 10:35 AM by pesik.)
07-31-2015 12:51 PM
TforTempleU Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
(07-31-2015 12:51 PM)pesik Wrote:  other notes: mwc/aac top 2 g5 (obvious to every non c-usa fan), boise has a chance at playoff (need non fsu aac championship, 2 loss big12 champ)

has a hard time seeing AAC as a group of 5 team...thinks temple/psu...ecu/florida are winnable games ...thinks mwc is better today (because boise) but thinks the aac could push for a power league and potential if we win ..3 and 4 loss champions wont cut it (his definition of power is an auto playoff spot, because he thinks the playoff will go to 8)

wku loses to vandy they are done can only lose to lsu ...marshall weak schedule doesnt control own destiny
uab woould ave been good if they didnt shut down

Also Houston will beat Vandy and has a good shot at Louisville. Cincy can beat Miami and BYU. Hope and pray for a lot of P5 victories this year we need them
07-31-2015 12:57 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
Notes:
  • Boise State is the hands down favorite for the Access Bowl
  • After Boise it's Cinci, NIU, LA Tech, and WKU in that order
  • NIU is has a 91% winning rate in MAC conference games over the past 5 years.
  • Myerberg thinks Boise could make the playoff; he brings up the question, because he is not sure, if a G5 team makes the playoff do they still retain their Access Bowl slot? The host of the show says, no the G5 are only alotted one High Level bowl and the Access Slot would probably then be an at large P5 selection. Considering that every P5 team retains the rights to their Access Bowl (think Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl when Florida State went to the Playoff), Myerberg states he doesn't think it is fair that one P5 conference is more important than the entire G5 conferences combined, especially considering Boise could very well be in the playoff picture.
  • Boise will not be challenged by anyone on their schedule, except maybe BYU, and whomever they play in the MWCCG, who he expects to be either SDSU or Fresno.
  • Is incredulous that a potentially 13-0 Boise would be left out of the playoff
  • What's the effect if a G5 team in Boise gets the playoff spot, snubbing a Pac-12 team and a Big 12 (for the second year in a row)? Myerberg thinks an 8 team playoff would be implemented as early as 2017.
  • Conversation moves to LA Tech. Asks question if they beat Miss State and K State, can they get into the playoff picture. Myerberg doesn't believe they will beat Marshall or WKU anyhow so the point is moot even if they manage to sweep Miss State and K State (which they wont)
  • Myerberg then makes the point how a Wisconsin can get blown out to Ohio State and go 10-3 or w/e and still have a great great year, but if a G5 team goes 10-3 they are judged by their ability to get to the pinnacle of bowls, which at most only 1 team will ever get per year.
  • Is the Sun Belt getting better? Yes, they are, but they are still 5 of 5 in the G5. More depth in the Sun Belt than there ever has been even though the bottom is absolutely dreadful. ULALA, App State, GaSouthern, and Arkansas State are favorites to go 7-1 or 8-0 in conference.
  • Comedic point: How exactly does one travel from Wyoming to App State for their October game? Like, logistically?
  • Group of 5 vs. Power 5 interesting matchups: Utah State @ Utah, Michigan State @ Western Michigan, WKU @ LSU, @ Vanderbilt, or @ Indiana (cannot lose to more than one in this slate for any respectability)
  • It's weird to think of the American as G5, Myerberg. Myerberg actually asks if they should be talking about the American in this podcast, simply because of all the programs that used to be P6. Interesting Matchups for the American: Penn State @ Temple - Temple is a very good football team with high expectations. A temple win would be shattering for Penn State; Then ECU @ Florida.
  • Boise Boise Boise Blah Blah Blah
  • Every single G5 league is getting better and better since the (perceived) split. It hasn't been the death knell many have foreseen.
  • MWC is the best of the 5 -.-
  • American is in the best position to make that access bowl an autobid. In a position to take advantage of a vacuum. Change is coming, 4 spots in the playoff will not be there for long. Have to be in the position to grab the opportunity to lead the charge.
  • Mentions Navy, American should feel very optimistic.
  • Mentions of Morris, Montgomery, and Herman. Those three names alone bring their clout to the conference. These coaches could make BIG leaps immediately. UConn and USF are dragging the conference down. 05-stirthepot In Myerberg's words "offsetting the hype", "next to worthless"
  • Aaaaaand the Big 12 talk. (very brief thankfully)
  • USA taking the most advantage of UAB's demise
  • Thinks FCS should start playing in January
  • Keenan Reynolds could make serious noise for Heisman.
  • Matt Rhule, Justin Fuente, Herman (even in the first year), highest threats to make coaching moves due to success. Doc Holliday is probably not a P5 head coach candidate, due to recruiting styles. Mentions that USF might consider Holliday when the CWT experiment fails, but not sure if one leaves Marshall for USF.
  • Favorites in the American: Cincinnati. Needs a team to step forward and establish dominance.
  • Fin
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 01:35 PM by Kruciff.)
07-31-2015 01:35 PM
Attackcoog Offline

Honestly, between this pod cast, the coaches poll, and other polls (like the Orlando Sentinel Countdown)---its becoming clear this conference is an afterthought at best with respect to football. We have a ton of work to do. Its odd to me that just a year removed from the UCF win over Baylor, the entire league is considered very unimpressive---even by G5 standards. Its like that BCS win never happened. We need to get it done this year in OOC play before this perception gets too entrenched.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 02:14 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-31-2015 02:12 PM
toohandsome Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: G4
I thought the AAC was supposed to be the conference to get the access bowl every year?
07-31-2015 03:18 PM
Advertisement

ECUGrad07 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(07-31-2015 03:18 PM)toohandsome Wrote:  I thought the AAC was supposed to be the conference to get the access bowl every year?

I thought Boise State was supposed to be in the P5 and was too good for the rest of us? 03-lmfao
07-31-2015 03:19 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(07-31-2015 03:18 PM)toohandsome Wrote:  I thought the AAC was supposed to be the conference to get the access bowl every year?

Maybe let the season play out before coming over here running your mouth like an a$$?
07-31-2015 03:24 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

we have never said that...we have always said boise will get benefit of the doubt points....it will be boise or aac every year.....hope that clarifies it for you

if boise ever collapses ..it will be aac every year....

everyone has you comfortably beating Washington ....we shall see
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 03:58 PM by pesik.)
07-31-2015 03:24 PM
ECBrad Offline
1st String

Washington will be a dumpster fire this year.
07-31-2015 03:27 PM
toohandsome Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-31-2015 03:19 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  

I thought Boise State was supposed to be in the P5 and was too good for the rest of us? 03-lmfao

Based on performance we should be.

However, we all know we won't be in a p5 conference for awhile (if ever). Doesn't bother me.
07-31-2015 03:47 PM
Advertisement

toohandsome Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-31-2015 03:24 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  

Maybe let the season play out before coming over here running your mouth like an a$$?

Well then why didn't an aac school claim the access bowl spot last year?

Weren't you guys supposed to be the best G5 conference & claim the access bowl spot every year?
07-31-2015 03:50 PM
toohandsome Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-31-2015 03:24 PM)pesik Wrote:  

we have never said that...we have always said boise will get benefoit of the doubt points....it will be boise or aac every year.....hope that clarifies it for you

everyone has you comfortable beating Washington ....we shall see

Grammar isn't your strong suit, is it?
07-31-2015 03:51 PM
toohandsome Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-31-2015 03:27 PM)ECBrad Wrote:  Washington will be a dumpster fire this year.

I could see udubb winning 8 games this year, I could also see them winning 3. Depends on how their young guys step up.
07-31-2015 03:54 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(07-31-2015 03:51 PM)toohandsome Wrote:  Grammar isn't your strong suit, is it?

going places where youre welcomed isnt your strong suit
07-31-2015 03:57 PM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies
(07-31-2015 03:50 PM)toohandsome Wrote:  

Weren't you guys supposed to be the best G5 conference & claim the access bowl spot every year?
All I have to say is I doubt the Boise could run through the AAC like they run through the MWC.
07-31-2015 03:59 PM
Advertisement

baruna falls Offline
All American

(07-31-2015 03:51 PM)toohandsome Wrote:  
(07-31-2015 03:24 PM)pesik Wrote:  

we have never said that...we have always said boise will get benefoit of the doubt points....it will be boise or aac every year.....hope that clarifies it for you

everyone has you comfortable beating Washington ....we shall see

Grammar isn't your strong suit, is it?
Boise is the school people pick if they know very little about Gang of 5 schools. While Boise does return talent at many positions, they do not have a proven QB and their Oline has to replace 2 starters. The guy who is supposed to take over the QB spot, Ryan Finely looked bad last year when he came in for Grant Hendrick, plus Finely was arrested this past year. I actually think Utah State is going to beat Boise.
07-31-2015 04:07 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

Mybergs research for G5 schools has always been suspect imo. How could he pick NIU as a credible Access Bowkl threat when 3 new oline m en are needed this year and their QB,Hare,is very average.Heck msny have Western Mich and Toledo higher ranked than NIU in the MAC.

How about La Tech,they have to replace almost their entire front 7,lose their best coach in Manny Diaz and are going to start a very average transfer at QB in Driskel, WKU and Marshall are easily better teams than La Tech.

Take this guys G5 t a lk with less than a grain of salt.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 04:35 PM by baruna falls.)
07-31-2015 04:34 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(07-31-2015 04:34 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  Mybergs research for G5 schools has always been suspect imo. How could he pick NIU as a credible Access Bowkl threat when 3 new oline m en are needed this year and their QB,Hare,is very average.Heck msny have Western Mich and Toledo higher ranked than NIU in the MAC.

How about La Tech,they have to replace almost their entire front 7,lose their best coach in Manny Diaz and are going to start a very average transfer at QB in Driskel, WKU and Marshall are easily better teams than La Tech.

Take this guys G5 t a lk with less than a grain of salt.

he has niu on history and tradition, he explains they win 91% of their games and an even larger percentage in the MAC ...

kinda like bama or fsu in the p5...they lose player but will always have them top 15 ..but at the mac level
07-31-2015 04:40 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(07-31-2015 03:50 PM)toohandsome Wrote:  

You mean a fan of an AAC school posted that the winner of the conference should get the access bowl every year? And he did so on the AAC board? Holy crap! That is freaking outrageous! You were right to come over here and set us straight. :lmfao:
07-31-2015 05:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.