Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Insiders warn Jeb: Don't engage with Trump
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Insiders warn Jeb: Don't engage with Trump
Quote:When Jeb Bush and Donald Trump share a debate stage next week, Bush needs to ignore the real estate mogul at all costs —and if that fails, laugh him off.

That’s the advice given by more than half of the POLITICO Caucus, our weekly, bipartisan survey of the top activists, operatives and strategists in Iowa and New Hampshire.

“The old maxim applies: Never wrestle with a pig,” counseled a New Hampshire Republican. “You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.”

At the first GOP primary debate, slated for Aug. 6 in Cleveland, Bush and eight other Republicans will share the stage with Trump, the bombastic businessman who is leading the Republican field in recent polls and dominating headlines. Trump has been critical of a host of other GOP candidates, but he is an especially sharp and persistent critic of Bush — even attacking Bush in his own announcement for president.

But insiders have a message for the former Florida governor: do not engage. Many Republicans expect Trump will zero in on Bush in the debate — and how Bush responds could go a long way toward shaping perceptions about his cool under fire. Bush has not tussled as frequently or as heatedly with Trump as other GOP candidates have, and several insiders advised that the longer the focus is on Trump’s battles with the others, the better it is for Bush to quietly consolidate support while others struggle to break through.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/in...z3hTRSREKi

So in other words, act more elitist. Yeah, that will work.
07-31-2015 08:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: Insiders warn Jeb: Don't engage with Trump
that's what people want in a president.....a big ol' puss that runs and hides....

the insiders are so stupid and self serving.....showing strength and dealing with issues seems to be 'more prudent' method (ya gotta have balls for that....or not be a career politician)

it's comedy central 24/7/365.25

jeb's good for .25....

trump may come off as lunatic fringe, but his talking points are solid....I can't wait to watch it....he's going to squash them like ants....

btw, have I mentioned trump is worth billions....
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 08:21 AM by stinkfist.)
07-31-2015 08:20 AM
tigertom Offline
"Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum"

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
The following replies will be interesting to this message.

Trump will probably eat Bush's lunch. I'm hearing from people I know in Florida that Bush can't even win there.
07-31-2015 08:20 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

The only way Bush actually wins this debate is if he forms a coalition with the other candidates to team up on Trump (and Cruz). Ignoring him will make Bush look even weaker and more elitist. I wouldn't attack Trump unless he attacks first (if it is cordial he could muster a tie), but if he lets Trump tear into him, it will be a very bad result for the dauphin.
07-31-2015 08:29 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I don't think Trump will start an attack on anyone, but someone in the lower tier desperate for attention is going to get the party started. Would most likely be Santorum, but I don't think he'll be on the stage. My bet is on Rubio.
07-31-2015 08:31 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Does anyone know the format of the debate? That will determine Trumps success or failure in my opinion.
07-31-2015 08:37 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(07-31-2015 08:29 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  The only way Bush actually wins this debate is if he forms a coalition with the other candidates to team up on Trump (and Cruz). Ignoring him will make Bush look even weaker and more elitist. I wouldn't attack Trump unless he attacks first (if it is cordial he could muster a tie), but if he lets Trump tear into him, it will be a very bad result for the dauphin.

Trump knows this....

he's sharpening the 'poon right now with a bib to catch the drool....

he has nothing to lose.....he already put his balls on the platter....

look for him to point that out over and over and over and over......

he's going to make these guys look foolish.....

and he's going to do it in a way that people aren't accustomed to....

hence, the strategy that is being posited.....they know they're screwed....and they know it regardless of any counter action measure....

trump is going to soar after this if he manages to not take his foot out of his arse and put it in his mouth......

this why they don't want to debate him....or has one not noticed what hasn't gained any traction.....

I'm 'dub'ing this the "pounce festival"
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 08:47 AM by stinkfist.)
07-31-2015 08:46 AM
stinkfist Offline

(07-31-2015 08:37 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Does anyone know the format of the debate? That will determine Trumps success or failure in my opinion.

that's a fair point...

the next question becomes....will Trump abide?
07-31-2015 08:48 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I still think the debate format should be that the candidates ask the questions and the panel just moderates and maintains order. You rotate the questions. Senator Cruz, you get to ask one question of the candidate of your choice. That candidate gets 2 minutes to respond. Then anyone else who wants get one minute. Then Senator Paul, you get to ask one question of the candidate of your choice. Same format until every candidate has asked one question. Then come back for second round, same format, with provision that every candidate has to ask the question of someone different from first round. Then third round, same format. Every round, every candidate has to ask the question of someone that he/she has not questioned before. Go as many rounds as you can.

Letting George Stephanopoulos, for example, ask questions at a republican debate is simply asking for problems.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 09:04 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
07-31-2015 09:02 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

Re: RE: Insiders warn Jeb: Don't engage with Trump
(07-31-2015 09:02 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I still think the debate format should be that the candidates ask the questions and the panel just moderates and maintains order. You rotate the questions. Senator Cruz, you get to ask one question of the candidate of your choice. That candidate gets 2 minutes to respond. Then anyone else who wants get one minute. Then Senator Paul, you get to ask one question of the candidate of your choice. Same format until every candidate has asked one question. Then come back for second round, same format, with provision that every candidate has to ask the question of someone different from first round. Then third round, same format. Every round, every candidate has to ask the question of someone that he/she has not questioned before. Go as many rounds as you can.

Letting George Stephanopoulos, for example, ask questions at a republican debate is simply asking for problems.

If the format is as you suggest, then Trump does well. If the moderator asks the questions, he does poorly.
07-31-2015 09:24 AM
stinkfist Offline

....this format sounds about right

format from the new yorker

Quote:NEW YORK (The Borowitz Report)—The Republican National Committee has released the format for its first 2016 Presidential debate, to be broadcast by Fox News on August 6th:

1. Question from moderator to Donald Trump;

2. Ignoring of question by Donald Trump, followed by personal attack on Jeb Bush;

3. Feeble attempt at rebuttal by Jeb Bush;

4. Interruption by Donald Trump, followed by attack on other eight candidates on stage;

5. Attempted moderation by moderator;

6. Personal attack on moderator by Donald Trump, followed by gratuitous attack on Rick Santorum..........................................
07-31-2015 09:36 AM
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(07-31-2015 08:05 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
Quote:When Jeb Bush and Donald Trump share a debate stage next week, Bush needs to ignore the real estate mogul at all costs —and if that fails, laugh him off.

That’s the advice given by more than half of the POLITICO Caucus, our weekly, bipartisan survey of the top activists, operatives and strategists in Iowa and New Hampshire.

“The old maxim applies: Never wrestle with a pig,” counseled a New Hampshire Republican. “You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.”

At the first GOP primary debate, slated for Aug. 6 in Cleveland, Bush and eight other Republicans will share the stage with Trump, the bombastic businessman who is leading the Republican field in recent polls and dominating headlines. Trump has been critical of a host of other GOP candidates, but he is an especially sharp and persistent critic of Bush — even attacking Bush in his own announcement for president.

But insiders have a message for the former Florida governor: do not engage. Many Republicans expect Trump will zero in on Bush in the debate — and how Bush responds could go a long way toward shaping perceptions about his cool under fire. Bush has not tussled as frequently or as heatedly with Trump as other GOP candidates have, and several insiders advised that the longer the focus is on Trump’s battles with the others, the better it is for Bush to quietly consolidate support while others struggle to break through.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/in...z3hTRSREKi

So in other words, act more elitist. Yeah, that will work.

No, not at all. This is actually great advice. You have to treat him like a presidential candidate and not a sideshow as they have done so far.

If he launches a personal attack, you calmly refute it and don't attack back.

If he puts forth some bold proposal like making Mexico pay us for each immigrant, you ask for particulars.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 01:03 PM by Redwingtom.)
07-31-2015 01:02 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
If Jeb can't stand up to Trump, then he can't stand up to HRC.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 01:14 PM by firmbizzle.)
07-31-2015 01:14 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(07-31-2015 09:36 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  ....this format sounds about right

format from the new yorker

Quote:NEW YORK (The Borowitz Report)—The Republican National Committee has released the format for its first 2016 Presidential debate, to be broadcast by Fox News on August 6th:

1. Question from moderator to Donald Trump;

2. Ignoring of question by Donald Trump, followed by personal attack on Jeb Bush;

3. Feeble attempt at rebuttal by Jeb Bush;

4. Interruption by Donald Trump, followed by attack on other eight candidates on stage;

5. Attempted moderation by moderator;

6. Personal attack on moderator by Donald Trump, followed by gratuitous attack on Rick Santorum..........................................

If that happens, Trump will make the GOP a laughing stock.
07-31-2015 04:40 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-31-2015 09:24 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(07-31-2015 09:02 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I still think the debate format should be that the candidates ask the questions and the panel just moderates and maintains order. You rotate the questions. Senator Cruz, you get to ask one question of the candidate of your choice. That candidate gets 2 minutes to respond. Then anyone else who wants get one minute. Then Senator Paul, you get to ask one question of the candidate of your choice. Same format until every candidate has asked one question. Then come back for second round, same format, with provision that every candidate has to ask the question of someone different from first round. Then third round, same format. Every round, every candidate has to ask the question of someone that he/she has not questioned before. Go as many rounds as you can.
If the format is as you suggest, then Trump does well. If the moderator asks the questions, he does poorly.

I think that should always be the format of all candidate debates. The media types have no business in the spotlight. From everything I've ever read, that's the way Lincoln and Douglas did it in 1856, and I don't know why we would ever do it differently.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 04:43 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
07-31-2015 04:43 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(07-31-2015 04:43 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(07-31-2015 09:24 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  

I think that should always be the format of all candidate debates. The media types have no business in the spotlight. From everything I've ever read, that's the way Lincoln and Douglas did it in 1856, and I don't know why we would ever do it differently.

I would love to see a debate like that. The networks would never allow it though because they cannot control what would happen.
07-31-2015 04:46 PM
Advertisement

tigertom Offline
"Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum"

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators

I don't ever want to see or hear George's voice ever again. 05-mafia
07-31-2015 04:52 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-31-2015 04:52 PM)tigertom Wrote:  
I don't ever want to see or hear George's voice ever again. 05-mafia

IMO, Romney lost the election with his response to George's contraception question.

The proper response should have been, "George, is anybody actually considering such legislation? If so, who?"

To which George would have had to answer nobody.

Which should have then prompted, "Then why in the hell are you wasting our time on a non-issue, when we have economic problems and budget deficits and about a thousand other real issues to discuss? I'll tell you why, because you aren't here to moderate a debate in good faith, you're here to carry Barack Obama's water. (break for thunderous applause from audience) I'll tell you what, I'm going to ignore your question, and I'm going to ask my fellow candidates to do the same. Instead of answering your loaded questions, why don't we start asking each other questions. Senator Santorum (or whoever), why don't you start?"

That would have ended the opposition to his candidacy from the right and from those who thought he wasn't strong enough. He would have been the certain nominee in a matter of weeks, and would have been able to turn his attention to Obama instead of having to move right to fight off the attacks from within his own party.
07-31-2015 05:02 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I can't even say "Jeb" without doing so in a way that immediately exposes my total disdain for the man. "Jeeeeeb"
07-31-2015 05:14 PM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(07-31-2015 01:14 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  If Jeb can't stand up to Trump, then he can't stand up to HRC.

You can't be suggesting that Hillary is more nimble on her feet than Trump? Really? Hillary sucks in a public setting whenever she can't just deliver a canned speech!
07-31-2015 08:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.