Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would the Big 12 ever consider taking football-only members?
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
Would the Big 12 ever consider taking football-only members?
In an effort to skirt the play-on-Sundays issue, would the Big 12 consider taking BYU as a football-only member? BYU would be able to leave the rest of their sports in the WCC while giving the Big 12 a power-conference-level football team. Could also add UCF/Cincy/etc. as a football-only from the east to get to 12 members. The eastern member could move their olympic sports to the Big East or A-10. I am not advocating for this to happen, just discussing if the Big 12 would even consider accepting a 10/12 arrangement. Thoughts?
07-29-2015 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Would the Big 12 ever consider taking football-only members?
(07-29-2015 09:44 AM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  In an effort to skirt the play-on-Sundays issue, would the Big 12 consider taking BYU as a football-only member? BYU would be able to leave the rest of their sports in the WCC while giving the Big 12 a power-conference-level football team. Could also add UCF/Cincy/etc. as a football-only from the east to get to 12 members. The eastern member could move their olympic sports to the Big East or A-10. I am not advocating for this to happen, just discussing if the Big 12 would even consider accepting a 10/12 arrangement. Thoughts?

Chuck Nineas and others have said the no-Sunday play was NOT an issue. I think you are beating a dead horse there.
07-29-2015 09:48 AM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
(07-29-2015 09:48 AM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  
(07-29-2015 09:44 AM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  In an effort to skirt the play-on-Sundays issue, would the Big 12 consider taking BYU as a football-only member? BYU would be able to leave the rest of their sports in the WCC while giving the Big 12 a power-conference-level football team. Could also add UCF/Cincy/etc. as a football-only from the east to get to 12 members. The eastern member could move their olympic sports to the Big East or A-10. I am not advocating for this to happen, just discussing if the Big 12 would even consider accepting a 10/12 arrangement. Thoughts?

Chuck Nineas and others have said the no-Sunday play was NOT an issue. I think you are beating a dead horse there.

In that case, I'm surprised BYU hasn't been invited already. They seem like a lock.
07-29-2015 09:59 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
(07-29-2015 09:59 AM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  

In that case, I'm surprised BYU hasn't been invited already. They seem like a lock.

If they were a lock, they would've been invited when WV and TCU were added.
07-29-2015 10:02 AM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
My thoughts are that in the very near future we will see the end of football only members within all FBS conferences.

If my count is correct there are only 3 FBS teams that are not all sports members of their FBS conference. Norte Dame as a semi-indepentant fooball member of the ACC and Idaho & NMSU as football only of the Sun Belt.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2015 10:04 AM by ValleyBoy.)
07-29-2015 10:03 AM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-29-2015 09:59 AM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  

It is their TV deal that killed them. A little something like the LHN
07-29-2015 10:08 AM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(07-29-2015 10:03 AM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  My thoughts are that in the very near future we will see the end of football only members within all FBS conferences.

If my count is correct there are only 3 FBS teams that are not all sports members of their FBS conference. Norte Dame as a semi-indepentant fooball member of the ACC and Idaho & NMSU as football only of the Sun Belt.
Four ... UMass is in MAC football for one last year.
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
(07-29-2015 10:03 AM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  My thoughts are that in the very near future we will see the end of football only members within all FBS conferences.

Five total if I counted right (although technically Notre Dame is a full ACC member who just doesn't participate in ACC football (independent schedulling considered something different than being in a different conference)). You have those three plus Hawaii in the Mountain West and Navy in the American, both as football onlys.
MplsBison Offline
Banned

ND isn't anything close to a football-only member of the ACC.

Idaho, NMSU, Hawaii and Navy are football-only members going forward, with UMass playing its last season in the MAC.

If the Sun Belt doesn't care about starting a CCG, then they could let those two go. But they aren't getting to 12 without them, unless they want to add three FCS move-ups at once (Missouri St, Eastern KY and Coastal Carolina).
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2015 10:39 AM by MplsBison.)
07-29-2015 10:09 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

Navy is a football only member of the AAC.
07-29-2015 10:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(07-29-2015 10:08 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

I was counting them as indepentant along with Army and BYU, since that is what they are about to be.
07-29-2015 10:14 AM
Advertisement

jukeboxhero Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: SC, Notre Dame
(07-29-2015 10:14 AM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  

I was counting them as independent along with Army and BYU, since that is what they are about to be.

Hawaii is a football only member of the Mountain West.
07-29-2015 10:31 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(07-29-2015 10:31 AM)jukeboxhero Wrote:  

I was counting them as independent along with Army and BYU, since that is what they are about to be.

Seems like there are more of them lately, not less.
07-29-2015 10:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern

Navy is a football only for the American
07-29-2015 10:35 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(07-29-2015 10:12 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

Navy is a football only member of the AAC.

Completely forgot about them!
07-29-2015 10:37 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

Jeez, forgot about them too!
07-29-2015 10:38 AM
Advertisement

jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF

UCF will not pass a death penalty to the rest of its sports programs just to get into a P5. We didn't do it for the BE when it was pushed and we won't do it now.
07-29-2015 10:57 AM
lance99 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron Zips
(07-29-2015 10:57 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  UCF will not pass a death penalty to the rest of its sports programs just to get into a P5. We didn't do it for the BE when it was pushed and we won't do it now.

If the Big XII told UCF Football Only, they would jump in a second and pray that the Southland or the Ohio Valley takes all other sports(Going back to the MAC or the Belt is not happening) 07-coffee3
07-29-2015 11:08 AM
Okielite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cowboys
Only BYU and Boise would make any sense as a football only.

Schools like Cinci have basketball programs and other sports to consider but BYU and Boise could easily join in FB only and leave other sports in the WCC like BYU does. Big Sky might also be an option for other sports at Boise. I don't think the Big 12 would do that but it's at least a possibility.

I see no reason to consider any of the other options as football only unless you consider possibly ECU. But they have no accomplishments that compare to BYU and Boise and don't have the national following to drive TV ratings.
07-29-2015 11:12 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(07-29-2015 11:08 AM)lance99 Wrote:  
(07-29-2015 10:57 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  UCF will not pass a death penalty to the rest of its sports programs just to get into a P5. We didn't do it for the BE when it was pushed and we won't do it now.

If the Big XII told UCF Football Only, they would jump in a second and pray that the Southland or the Ohio Valley takes all other sports(Going back to the MAC or the Belt is not happening) 07-coffee3

Why not the Atlantic Sun, if we're talking about one-bid leagues anyway (to March Madness)?

The only time any non-UCF fans pay attention to UCF basketball would be March Madness, so being in the ASun would probably give them the easiest path to a bid.
07-29-2015 11:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.