UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rumors on campus stadium?
WingsCrew Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UAB
Rumors on campus stadium?
Wanted to check with the group to see if anyone has heard any rumors around meetings about a stadium? Had a guy that I work with, that asked me today from a conversation he had yesterday with a big business in Bham.
I hope there are meetings going on, but one comment that he made worried me some. He said that the stadium would be 15k in size?

Anyone have any info & is the size true? I would think 30-35k would be a good number but 15k is too low, we averaged more last year.
07-28-2015 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
RE: Rumors on campus stadium?
Business leaders are probably talking. Hatton said other facilities were top priority right now.

15,000 seems about 5-10K small, but Charlotte will be playing in C-USA with a 15,000 seat stadium this year. WKU, FIU, and ODU currently seat around 20,000.
07-28-2015 10:21 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
Last week Hatton Smith, CEO emeritus of Royal Cup Coffee & Chairman of the Facilities Fundraising Committee mentioned they were going to look a stadium after the initial goal of raising money for a football complex is completed. He said he prefers the stadium to be on campus.

His statement conflicts with those of the AD.

Our next AD will most likely be more receptive to the idea. The way things are going I think this AD will not even make it to the first kick-off in 2017.

[quote]The fundraising committee will seek $12 million to build a new football complex. Approximately $4 million has been raised to date from the private sector and public donations will be sought in September. After the football complex, the fundraising committee will turn its attention to stadium preferable an on campus stadium.[/quote]

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/29589257/ua...s-contract
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2015 10:22 AM by blazerjay.)
07-28-2015 10:22 AM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
I think this is more along the lines of long range planning. I suspect by the time we are ready to scratch dirt 15k will be way undersized.
07-28-2015 10:23 AM
blazinrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB & Marlins
[quote='blazerjay' pid='12231456' dateline='1438096934']
Last week Hatton Smith, CEO emeritus of Royal Cup Coffee & Chairman of the Facilities Fundraising Committee mentioned they were going to look a stadium after the initial goal of raising money for a football complex is completed. He said he prefers the stadium to be on campus.

His statement conflicts with those of the AD.

Our next AD will most likely be more receptive to the idea. The way things are going I think this AD will not even make it to the first kick-off in 2017.

[quote]The fundraising committee will seek $12 million to build a new football complex. Approximately $4 million has been raised to date from the private sector and public donations will be sought in September. After the football complex, the fundraising committee will turn its attention to stadium preferable an on campus stadium.[/quote]

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/29589257/ua...s-contract
[/quote]

I think this depends on Watts. If Watts is gone soon, Ingram may be more receptive. He's toeing the Watts/BOT line right now.
07-28-2015 10:24 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Only conversation I have heard is this.

IPF - Football Complex - Medical Building for research - OCS in that order.

I shake my head at our AD's comments sometimes. It's as if he doesn't listen to anyone.

The key to all this is Watts leaving so Ingram can be his own guy and we can stop this foolishness of having to pay to exist. We have enough money to build steps 1-3 and a down payment on four (OCS) if we didn't have to pay for all our scholarships for three sports for the next five years.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2015 10:27 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
07-28-2015 10:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

price4UAB Offline
Bench Warmer

You mean over pay for scholarships that cost the university practically nothing.
07-28-2015 10:37 AM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
Anything under 30-35k is too small. Heck I'd like 10-15k in an open grassy area with all the games for kids that was a great addition.
07-28-2015 10:51 AM
BlazerGold09 Offline
All American

(07-28-2015 10:25 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Only conversation I have heard is this.

I shake my head at our AD's comments sometimes. It's as if he doesn't listen to anyone.

The key to all this is Watts leaving so Ingram can be his own guy and we can stop this foolishness of having to pay to exist. We have enough money to build steps 1-3 and a down payment on four (OCS) if we didn't have to pay for all our scholarships for three sports for the next five years.

Last paragraph is spot on. If Ingram had the freedom to do right by us he would. The key is to keep the money coming. Money solves everything. It's time for us all to be patient. We have Coach Clark, Justin, and Hatton on our side. I like our future with those 3.
07-28-2015 10:51 AM
BlazerGold09 Offline
All American

(07-28-2015 10:51 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  Anything under 30-35k is too small. Heck I'd like 10-15k in an open grassy area with all the games for kids that was a great addition.

I agree BD. 40-50.
07-28-2015 10:52 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(07-28-2015 10:51 AM)BlazerGold09 Wrote:  If Ingram had the freedom to do right by us he would.

That's a huge assumption.

Unless he can stop making verbal missteps, that only tick off the boosters, I still think he'll be gone quicker than Herman Frazier after Pumpkinhead exits the scene.
07-28-2015 11:01 AM
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
Anything over 30,000 is too large and would do nothing to drive season ticket sales.
07-28-2015 11:01 AM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-28-2015 11:01 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Anything over 30,000 is too large and would do nothing to drive season ticket sales.

The trend for new stadiums is around 30K as teams are trying to deal with lesser attendance and, strangely enough, lesser viewing even though popularity is still strong as ever.
07-28-2015 11:05 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(07-28-2015 10:52 AM)BlazerGold09 Wrote:  
(07-28-2015 10:51 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  Anything under 30-35k is too small. Heck I'd like 10-15k in an open grassy area with all the games for kids that was a great addition.

I agree BD. 40-50.

50K is too big initially. A facility can always be designed with future expansion planned.

The initial stadium we proposed in 2006 to the previous administration was 40k, but that was only because that was the minimum number of seats the bowl game required to commit to play in the new stadium. We were more comfortable with 28-30K with an open end that could accommodate temporary setting if warranted for occasional events. The plan was to build small to create ticket demand and expand the permanent seating as the market indicated.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2015 11:08 AM by blazerjay.)
07-28-2015 11:07 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(07-28-2015 10:25 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Only conversation I have heard is this.

Ingram's comments make it seem like he and Clark haven't even discussed facilities. Clark has clearly and publicly stated an IPF is a priority for him.

By medical research building, do you mean with an athletics tie in or just another research building over by the hospital?
07-28-2015 11:07 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

We may get to a point with Ingram that we can't believe anything he says & then he will be toast.

His reputation during the Watts reign would then stay with him.
07-28-2015 11:39 AM
Advertisement

BlazerGold09 Offline
All American

(07-28-2015 11:07 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  

I agree BD. 40-50.

50K is too big initially. A facility can always be designed with future expansion planned.

The initial stadium we proposed in 2006 to the previous administration was 40k, but that was only because that was the minimum number of seats the bowl game required to commit to play in the new stadium. We were more comfortable with 28-30K with an open end that could accommodate temporary setting if warranted for occasional events. The plan was to build small to create ticket demand and expand the permanent seating as the market indicated.

Didn't think about an expansion. Good point.

My thought on Ingram was assuming he is a decent human and wants to better UAB athletics. I'm definitely assuming.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2015 11:43 AM by BlazerGold09.)
07-28-2015 11:43 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
(07-28-2015 11:01 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(07-28-2015 10:51 AM)BlazerGold09 Wrote:  If Ingram had the freedom to do right by us he would.

That's a huge assumption.

Unless he can stop making verbal missteps, that only tick off the boosters, I still think he'll be gone quicker than Herman Frazier after Pumpkinhead exits the scene.

Exactly
07-28-2015 11:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
(07-28-2015 11:07 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  

I agree BD. 40-50.

It's funny how some just think of UAB with the ocs. It's a partnership to an extent. This should somewhat replace LF totally outside of international soccer events. The Birmingham bowl stays and we won't have to expand anytime soon on first cost bases. We could hopefully with 7 divisions get a piece of the Super 7 high school championship (I would ask ahsaa for the 5a semis and championship games per year get other schools in it too? ). Hold graduations, host 7on7 events , hold inner city big games, and maybe semipro games. Huntsville has LCD, Montgomery has ASU field, and Bham and Mobile should double those in capacity.
07-28-2015 11:44 AM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
I'd take a 10,000 seat stadium if it meant there was a permanent football structure on campus.
07-28-2015 11:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.