Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What does appeal to students?
Bookmark and Share
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
What does appeal to students?
On the Miami Hawk Talk site, there's mention of a recent article in the Wall Street Journal which backs up what a lot of folks on the Dog Pound have said is important: urinals, or more specifically, bathrooms -- and also hot dogs, or more specifically, concessions.

http://www.wsj.com/article_email/what-do...today-want

Major conclusion: bathrooms and concessions rate higher than Wi-Fi access according to study by National Association of Collegiate Marketing Administrators and Oregon marketing center.

Interesting paragraph (as it does or doesn't relate to NIU):
A college-football game is an event unlike any other in U.S. sports. Most major-college teams play just six to eight home games a season, some of which aren’t even against teams on their same level. Almost all of those games are on Saturday afternoons, not on weekday nights or during work hours, and the people in their stadiums are wildly diverse. Schools must cater to both 18-year-old undergraduates and 81-year-old donors—and those opposites happen to be the lifeblood of an athletic department.

One Miami alum rates the following as significant:
1) Quality of team and its play which is:
a) wins and losses
b) is this a team I feel represents my school well?
c) is this a team I feel gives a damn about the name on the front?
d) overall effort, tenacity, desire, displayed
2) Safety/customer service (never a factor until it's a factor)
a) drunks/obnoxious fans dealt with?
b) Do I feel my family is safe?
c) Are any concerns addressed and taken seriously?
d) souvenirs/programs etc. easily available
e) Tailgating/parking easy and clear
3) Concessions
a) quality
b) selection
c) convenience
4) Restrooms
a) number (lines)
b) cleanliness
c) convenience (distance, location)
07-27-2015 10:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
RE: What does appeal to students?
(07-27-2015 10:35 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  On the Miami Hawk Talk site, there's mention of a recent article in the Wall Street Journal which backs up what a lot of folks on the Dog Pound have said is important: urinals, or more specifically, bathrooms -- and also hot dogs, or more specifically, concessions.

Major conclusion: bathrooms and concessions rate higher than Wi-Fi access according to study by National Association of Collegiate Marketing Administrators and Oregon marketing center.

A college-football game is an event unlike any other in U.S. sports. Most major-college teams play just six to eight home games a season, some of which aren’t even against teams on their same level. Almost all of those games are on Saturday afternoons, not on weekday nights or during work hours, and the people in their stadiums are wildly diverse. Schools must cater to both 18-year-old undergraduates and 81-year-old donors—and those opposites happen to be the lifeblood of an athletic department.

a) wins and losses
3) Concessions
a) quality
b) selection
c) convenience
4) Restrooms
a) number (lines)
b) cleanliness

For NIU, the lack of a non-conf schedule has been detrimental the past decade, and the other obvious major factor is the fact no one can attend half of the games in a season on weeknights. One of those two issues has been addressed at least, the other one we are probably SOL.
07-27-2015 10:53 PM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
I'd probably want more input than "one Miami alum." It's really hard to draw people to live sporting events these days. All levels of sports are going to have to get creative and do everything they can to appeal to people, and that includes internet stuff. I know even the national parks are considering adding wifi.
07-27-2015 11:37 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
One other study on students attending games were also concerned with seating location and comfort of seating area (width of seat for reserved tickets)

Something for athletics to consider if the South Bowl is actually built for the students.
07-28-2015 07:39 AM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(07-27-2015 10:53 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(07-27-2015 10:35 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  On the Miami Hawk Talk site, there's mention of a recent article in the Wall Street Journal which backs up what a lot of folks on the Dog Pound have said is important: urinals, or more specifically, bathrooms -- and also hot dogs, or more specifically, concessions.

a) wins and losses
3) Concessions
a) quality
b) selection
c) convenience
4) Restrooms
a) number (lines)
b) cleanliness

For NIU, the lack of a non-conf schedule has been detrimental the past decade, and the other obvious major factor is the fact no one can attend half of the games in a season on weeknights. One of those two issues has been addressed at least, the other one we are probably SOL.

It's not quite half, but it's close. This is the biggest factor for me. I do not attend night games in November. I refuse, and am physically unable, to sit outdoors at night in the winter when temps are in the teens or 20s. I always miss one other game, usually in September or October due to a family event (usually a wedding). Thus, in my case, I do miss half the home games - assuming we have 6 home games and 2 winter night games. I am currently at the tipping point of keeping or cancelling my season tickets. If we ever go back to 5 home games with 2 November games or have more winter night games, I am out. I will just stick with basketball and re-channel my donations there.
07-28-2015 07:52 AM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(07-28-2015 07:52 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

a) wins and losses
3) Concessions
a) quality
b) selection
c) convenience
4) Restrooms
a) number (lines)
b) cleanliness

It's not quite half, but it's close. This is the biggest factor for me. I do not attend night games in November. I refuse, and am physically unable, to sit outdoors at night in the winter when temps are in the teens or 20s. I always miss one other game, usually in September or October due to a family event (usually a wedding). Thus, in my case, I do miss half the home games - assuming we have 6 home games and 2 winter night games. I am currently at the tipping point of keeping or cancelling my season tickets. If we ever go back to 5 home games with 2 November games or have more winter night games, I am out. I will just stick with basketball and re-channel my donations there.

This is likely the case for a lot of season ticket holders or prospective season ticket holders. The weeknight games are out of the question for a lot of people who work or have families and there's always the chance that they have other personal events on one home weekend a year. For me, there's only 2 games I can make this season.

I also think Frazier realizes this as well. He's not a dummy, he understands what the weeknight games do to prospective attendance and season ticket numbers. He's also stated that if he can help it there won't be another season where NIU only has 5 home games, at least under his watch. The ultimate solution to the problem is to get NIU out of the MAC and to another league that doesn't tie them to 2 weeknight games a year, but that's easier said than done at this point.
07-28-2015 07:56 AM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu

a) wins and losses
3) Concessions
a) quality
b) selection
c) convenience
4) Restrooms
a) number (lines)
b) cleanliness

thats the spirit
07-28-2015 08:05 AM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-28-2015 08:05 AM)GCD70 Wrote:  

a) wins and losses
3) Concessions
a) quality
b) selection
c) convenience
4) Restrooms
a) number (lines)
b) cleanliness

thats the spirit

Thanks! 04-cheers
07-28-2015 08:09 AM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(07-28-2015 07:56 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  This is likely the case for a lot of season ticket holders or prospective season ticket holders. The weeknight games are out of the question for a lot of people who work or have families and there's always the chance that they have other personal events on one home weekend a year. For me, there's only 2 games I can make this season.

The weak OOC schedule over the last 10 years hasn't helped but the weeknight games are clearly the biggest factor. The weeknight games are almost always held when there are sub-freezing temperatures. Add in a 60 minute drive each way and it's a tall task to expect anyone to commit to that. I contemplate buying season tickets every year and then realize that I won't have anyone that wants to attend at least two of the games with me...and I probably won't want to attend them myself since it's 15 degrees outside and the game will be on some form of ESPN
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2015 09:36 AM by armour248.)
07-28-2015 09:35 AM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

(07-28-2015 09:35 AM)armour248 Wrote:  
(07-28-2015 07:56 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  This is likely the case for a lot of season ticket holders or prospective season ticket holders. The weeknight games are out of the question for a lot of people who work or have families and there's always the chance that they have other personal events on one home weekend a year. For me, there's only 2 games I can make this season.

The weak OOC schedule over the last 10 years hasn't helped but the weeknight games are clearly the biggest factor. The weeknight games are almost always held when there are sub-freezing temperatures. Add in a 60 minute drive each way and it's a tall task to expect anyone to commit to that. I contemplate buying season tickets every year and then realize that I won't have anyone that wants to attend at least two of the games with me...and I probably won't want to attend them myself since it's 15 degrees outside and the game will be on some form of ESPN

It's exacerbated by the fact that the conference games that will likely bring the most attendance (Toledo, WMU this year), are always going to be assigned to the weeknight games.

Put the NIU-Toledo game on a Saturday and the attendance should be really good, whether it's in DeKalb or Toledo.
07-28-2015 09:39 AM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-28-2015 09:39 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  

It's exacerbated by the fact that the conference games that will likely bring the most attendance (Toledo, WMU this year), are always going to be assigned to the weeknight games.

Put the NIU-Toledo game on a Saturday and the attendance should be really good, whether it's in DeKalb or Toledo.

Yep. I can't remember the last time I saw us play Toledo live. Oh, I guess I can. It was just before the ESPN "deal".

But, no matter what, I am thankful for being able to see the Presbyterian Blue Hose in the rain last year. I'm still waiting for my shirt from VCB. Guess I'll have to settle for the Murray State shirt this year.
07-28-2015 09:55 AM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

(07-28-2015 09:55 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

Yep. I can't remember the last time I saw us play Toledo live. Oh, I guess I can. It was just before the ESPN "deal".

But, no matter what, I am thankful for being able to see the Presbyterian Blue Hose in the rain last year. I'm still waiting for my shirt from VCB. Guess I'll have to settle for the Murray State shirt this year.

I would think you were at the Toledo game in '08 for Homecoming, the last time NIU had a home game against the Rockets on a Saturday. Kill's first year.
07-28-2015 10:04 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

Homecoming 2008 was the last Saturday NIU/Toledo game in DeKalb. Attendance was 22092 while entering that game at 3-3 and a year after the aweful 2007 season.

Since that game we have only had 2 crowds that were larger...2013 Home opener vs EIU and 2013 Homecoming vs Akron with 23595 both times.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2015 10:11 AM by HuskieJohn.)
07-28-2015 10:10 AM
Advertisement

uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(07-28-2015 09:39 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  Put the NIU-Toledo game on a Saturday and the attendance should be really good, whether it's in DeKalb or Toledo.

Agree with you wholeheartedly! Even if that game was an 11 a.m. kickoff on a Saturday and televised, I bet the attendance would still blow away any of the weeknight NIU-UT crowds.
07-28-2015 10:22 AM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators
Nudity, booze, free food, extra credit. Things of that nature.
07-29-2015 08:11 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-29-2015 08:11 AM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  Nudity, booze, free food, extra credit. Things of that nature.

When I was a FR I took UNIV 101 and it did have an assignment to attend a football game and write about the experience.
07-29-2015 08:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.