Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MVC signs with ESPN
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
MVC signs with ESPN
Just saw this:
http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/espn-ext...rence.html

big difference now is that ESPN will get the MVC title game instead of CBS. Pretty big win there for ESPN- MVC a top 10 conference now.
07-26-2015 04:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
RE: MVC signs with ESPN
(07-26-2015 04:45 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Just saw this:

big difference now is that ESPN will get the MVC title game instead of CBS. Pretty big win there for ESPN- MVC a top 10 conference now.
Oh man NealT is jumping for joy and loading his ammo in the fight against the MAC haha
07-26-2015 04:52 PM
msu_bears Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MO STATE
ESPN has always owned the MVC title game, nothing has changed. They resell it to CBS every year.
07-26-2015 05:15 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Actually this is a huge deal. ESPN is supplying equipment so that every home game ooc can be shown on espn3 for multiple sports. ESPN is allowing/depending on the schools themselves for production and on air personalities.
This would be fantastic for many conferences tier 1, 2, and even 3 content. Working with the member schools communication departments and media departments can only benefit the students as well.
This is HUGE.
07-26-2015 05:18 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
msu bears, did you see this part?

As part of the deal – which continues a business relationship that began in 1986 – ESPN, the Missouri Valley Conference and its 10 member institutions will work jointly to develop in-house production capabilities at each campus that will provide significant national coverage for multiple sports on ESPN3 and hands-on educational opportunities for students. As a result, ESPN3 will showcase a minimum of 820 events a year (a minimum of 70 men's basketball) in the final six years of the agreement.
07-26-2015 05:25 PM
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

Quote:For Wichita State, which already featured most or all of its men’s basketball games on TV, the change is not as dramatic as it might be for other Valley schools with lesser local TV packages.

The change is greater in women’s basketball and volleyball, where fans can now count on home non-conference games and all Valley games on ESPN3, if not televised by another network.

An ESPN official on Thursday’s conference call described the agreement with the Valley as unique in college athletics for its scope of including all sports and its reliance on student talent for producing the games.

“A key aspect of this new campus-based production model will be the involvement of students in academic programs — broadcast media and journalism majors — providing hands-on experience that will translate to opportunities for our graduates to gain entry into television media,” Elgin said.

Other sports will be added as schools improve their staffing and production capability. According to the news release, ESPN and the Valley plan to show a minimum of 820 events each year in the final six years of the agreement.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-col...rylink=cpy
07-26-2015 05:49 PM
msu_bears Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MO STATE
(07-26-2015 05:25 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  msu bears, did you see this part?

As part of the deal – which continues a business relationship that began in 1986 – ESPN, the Missouri Valley Conference and its 10 member institutions will work jointly to develop in-house production capabilities at each campus that will provide significant national coverage for multiple sports on ESPN3 and hands-on educational opportunities for students. As a result, ESPN3 will showcase a minimum of 820 events a year (a minimum of 70 men's basketball) in the final six years of the agreement.

I was only responding to the 1st post which said the title game was moving to ESPN.

The rest of the deal is adding a ton more games to ESPN3 which will be good for recruiting being able to tell a baseball, soccer, track, etc player that their parents can watch their meets and games from anywhere in the country. It's at least an advantage over other low/mid major conferences which won't be able to brag about that amount of coverage for small sports.
07-26-2015 05:57 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
Access to more streaming content that can be replayed is a solid move.
07-26-2015 06:00 PM
TheNealT Offline
Banned

I Root For: Illini, ISU
(07-26-2015 04:52 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  

Oh man NealT is jumping for joy and loading his ammo in the fight against the MAC haha

Not really, everyone already knows the MVC is the better basketball and baseball conference..
07-26-2015 06:41 PM
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(07-26-2015 06:41 PM)TheNealT Wrote:  
(07-26-2015 04:52 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  

Not really, everyone already knows the MVC is the better basketball and baseball conference..
Lol oh jeez...
07-26-2015 06:42 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Sounds a lot like the MAC-ESPN agreement with the upgrade of in-house broadcast equipment.

But unlike the MAC deal where there is $$$ also involved.

03-shhhh
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2015 07:33 PM by Kittonhead.)
07-26-2015 07:13 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(07-26-2015 05:18 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Actually this is a huge deal. ESPN is supplying equipment so that every home game ooc can be shown on espn3 for multiple sports. ESPN is allowing/depending on the schools themselves for production and on air personalities.
Yes, this is the same deal that ESPN seems to be doing with all of their conferences. I know that when the MAC deal was extended last year, it included this same element.
07-26-2015 07:15 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
This basically means all of our basketball games will be on TV for the most part. We already have the best local state wide tv package deal in the Valley. We already had video production on campus with the replay boards at the arena and stadium.
07-26-2015 08:04 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(07-26-2015 08:04 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  This basically means all of our basketball games will be on TV for the most part.
No, it means all of your basketball games that aren't on TV will be available online.
07-26-2015 08:32 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

So it looks like there will be ALOT of live sporting events on ESPN3 and available replays of all conference games. One could almost cut the cord. If my team was in the MVC, it would be very tempting.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2015 09:24 PM by Dasville.)
07-26-2015 09:23 PM
Crimsonelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardinals
This could be decisive news for an ACC Network. One of the things Espn wanted the entirety of ACC content for was to boost Espn3, and with the SEC leaving this was going to be crucial. Looks like they are lining up back-fill for when the ACC content is taken off Espn3...
07-27-2015 01:34 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
MVC is a quality conference in men's basketball.....no doubt. Good get for ESPN.
07-27-2015 06:31 AM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/esp...201122302/

It seems as though, largely, that this decision was already made when ESPN announced the launch of 15 college conference digital channels on WatchESPN. This MVC deal is not unique and is basically the same set-up as the other 15 conferences that ESPN is inking similar deals to one by one as their old contracts come due.

MAC, MVC, Horizon, OVC, Atlantic Sun, SoCon, etc. now all have ESPN self-produced campus studios and showing all their basketball and other games on ESPN3. The Horizon League had their entire conference basketball schedule on ESPN3 last season, self-produced by their members. The OVC just announced something similar and the Atlantic Sun was in the mix last season too. The MAC just signed a similar agreement. The only difference is ESPN/2/U, football and $$ component.

ACC is also a part of this and the conferences not in the original 15 announced are on the outside looking in (MWC, AAC for digital rights only and Sun Belt has not been able to renegotiate).

C-USA, CAA, Big Sky are completely on the outside.
07-27-2015 08:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.