ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coastal Carolina to the Sunbelt? JMU not happy
cmett003 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Coastal Carolina to the Sunbelt? JMU not happy
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/...45599.html

The sunbelt conference has reached out to Coastal Carolina to become a full member and become FBS for football.

Subsequently, the JMU boards are erupting with anger. Check it out for some good entertainment.

JMU Boards
07-24-2015 08:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

RE: Coastal Carolina to the Sunbelt? JMU not happy
LOL. Gold. Love it.
07-24-2015 08:51 AM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

That kind of news is a killer for JMU fans. There are only so many FBS spots that will ever be available. Every school that moves up further cements JMU into FCS.

I have to think that JMU is more attractive than CCU. The only explanation is the JMU admins don't want FBS football.

I kind of hoped that the would "eventually" move up. Seems less and less likely.
07-24-2015 09:11 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

You know its bad when they are even considering Eastern Kentucky before JMU
07-24-2015 09:19 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I cannot remember where I read it, but somewhere I saw where Coastal is being considered for basketball only.
07-24-2015 09:20 AM
bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
Since we're discussing JMU. I had 3 high school juniors intern for me this summer. During our conversations I asked them what their plans were for college. One is going to BYU. Another has no clue yet. And the 3rd said he was going to chose between Radford and JMU. I asked him about both schools and what would be deciding factors for those? All 3 of them said "yeah, JMU is a fall back school" I laughed... fallback to Radford? I was shocked so I dug more into this. Apparently, according to these STEM students, JMU is like the party school now and they didn't want to go there because it has a bad rep now. huh?! I told them how Radford used to be the "STD" school and party school. They were shocked. They said "no way that's JMU?!" They started rattling off their lower admissions rates and other such stats. They were well informed. I told them how when I was in HS JMU was very tough to get into and was considered 2nd to UVA for admission standards. They were appalled.

The one deciding between Radford and JMU is with me the rest of the summer so I'm going to work on him a bit for ODU. =]
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2015 09:29 AM by bit_9.)
07-24-2015 09:26 AM
Advertisement

ODU12 Offline
Water Engineer

After spending so many millions on their stadium, which is designed to be able to expand for FBS level attendance, this really reflects poorly on their administration.
07-24-2015 09:29 AM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

Its just talk at this point, but this would be huge for Coastal. Significant perception boost for all athletic programs and the university as a whole even if it ends up being basketball-only.
07-24-2015 09:30 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(07-24-2015 09:20 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  I cannot remember where I read it, but somewhere I saw where Coastal is being considered for basketball only.

Probably to give them time to improve their football facilities to meet FBS standards. Currently, Brooks Stadium only seats 9k.

I said this on JMUs board already, but Coastal reminds me a lot of Radford. A party school that alums remember fondly but are unlikely to visit after graduation.

I lived in Myrtle Beach and Horry County for 4 years. Their presence is so minor that if you aren't paying attention, you might forget that they are even there. If I was a JMU fan, I would be irate too. Can't blame them at all.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2015 09:32 AM by Monarchist13.)
07-24-2015 09:31 AM
First time Long time Offline
Bench Warmer

This would be good for fans. Another FBS team in 5 hours drive. Beautiful area.
07-24-2015 09:33 AM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

07-24-2015 10:25 AM
Advertisement

Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(07-24-2015 09:26 AM)Cr8n Wrote:  Since we're discussing JMU. I had 3 high school juniors intern for me this summer. During our conversations I asked them what their plans were for college. One is going to BYU. Another has no clue yet. And the 3rd said he was going to chose between Radford and JMU. I asked him about both schools and what would be deciding factors for those? All 3 of them said "yeah, JMU is a fall back school" I laughed... fallback to Radford? I was shocked so I dug more into this. Apparently, according to these STEM students, JMU is like the party school now and they didn't want to go there because it has a bad rep now. huh?! I told them how Radford used to be the "STD" school and party school. They were shocked. They said "no way that's JMU?!" They started rattling off their lower admissions rates and other such stats. They were well informed. I told them how when I was in HS JMU was very tough to get into and was considered 2nd to UVA for admission standards. They were appalled.

The one deciding between Radford and JMU is with me the rest of the summer so I'm going to work on him a bit for ODU. =]

What does it stay about ODU not being in the conversation especially if they are considering STEM relkated field of study...since we are supposedly the #3rd highest STEM University in the state ? I don't think the direction we are headed is the best direction. I think our admissions standards and selectivity needs to be improved as well. A University is defined by the caliber of students that are admitted.
07-24-2015 10:37 AM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
(07-24-2015 10:37 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(07-24-2015 09:26 AM)Cr8n Wrote:  Since we're discussing JMU. I had 3 high school juniors intern for me this summer. During our conversations I asked them what their plans were for college. One is going to BYU. Another has no clue yet. And the 3rd said he was going to chose between Radford and JMU. I asked him about both schools and what would be deciding factors for those? All 3 of them said "yeah, JMU is a fall back school" I laughed... fallback to Radford? I was shocked so I dug more into this. Apparently, according to these STEM students, JMU is like the party school now and they didn't want to go there because it has a bad rep now. huh?! I told them how Radford used to be the "STD" school and party school. They were shocked. They said "no way that's JMU?!" They started rattling off their lower admissions rates and other such stats. They were well informed. I told them how when I was in HS JMU was very tough to get into and was considered 2nd to UVA for admission standards. They were appalled.

What does it stay about ODU not being in the conversation especially if they are considering STEM relkated field of study...since we are supposedly the #3rd highest STEM University in the state ? I don't think the direction we are headed is the best direction. I think our admissions standards and selectivity needs to be improved as well. A University is defined by the caliber of students that are admitted.

I have been talking to my neighbor about ODU for over a year and he just informed me yesterday that his daughter is going to ODU she had other options and she carries a 4.0 plus g.p.a.
07-24-2015 10:41 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

It says those interns want to get away from Mom and Dad. Nothing new or surprising about that.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2015 10:44 AM by Monarchist13.)
07-24-2015 10:43 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

(07-24-2015 10:41 AM)odu83alumni Wrote:  

I have been talking to my neighbor about ODU for over a year and he just informed me yesterday that his daughter is going to ODU she had other options and she carries a 4.0 plus g.p.a.

+1
07-24-2015 10:44 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

+2. This needs to happen more and more. My understanding is that the state puts pressure on ODU to accept more Hampton Roads students, and since many of the best in our area want to go away from mom and dad, and the schools in our area aren't so good to begin with, we sort get the shaft when it comes to admissions. If we raise our standards, the locals won't be able to get in. The good thing about ODU is that while it may not be hard to get into, its pretty tough to get out of. At least it used to be that way and had that rep. I assume its the same way now, so employers know that are getting a solid person when they hire an ODU grad. The employment and alumni salary numbers seem to back that up.

I don't know what those kids were thinking about Redford though. Very interesting. Everything I read says JMU is a great school and Radford ranks behind ODU in almost every category. Back in the day that was the school for kids who's significant other went to VT or for granola pot heads who couldn't go anywhere else. I'm sure its much different now though.
07-24-2015 10:54 AM
Advertisement

monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
(07-24-2015 09:31 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(07-24-2015 09:20 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  I cannot remember where I read it, but somewhere I saw where Coastal is being considered for basketball only.

Probably to give them time to improve their football facilities to meet FBS standards. Currently, Brooks Stadium only seats 9k.

I said this on JMUs board already, but Coastal reminds me a lot of Radford. A party school that alums remember fondly but are unlikely to visit after graduation.

I lived in Myrtle Beach and Horry County for 4 years. Their presence is so minor that if you aren't paying attention, you might forget that they are even there. If I was a JMU fan, I would be irate too. Can't blame them at all.

To me your impression shows an easy opportunity for Coastal's leadership. Athletics can absolutely put you on the map and help raise your profile and support in the community. A move to the Sun Belt could be excellent for Coastal. They are definitely a long-term play for the Sun Belt but if the institutional support is there it is a good gamble.
07-24-2015 11:14 AM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

After Reading this i somehow felt sorry for these JMPoo morons and went to their site to see whats going on and even when they are miserable they are snobby with their academic profile they claim they are the god darn stanford of the east. Holy hell these guys are the face of delusion and smug'ness
07-24-2015 11:17 AM
benny_t Offline
1st String

(07-24-2015 10:43 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

It says those interns want to get away from Mom and Dad. Nothing new or surprising about that.

My brother in law is going to Radford for sports medicine, or something along those lines, a program that ODU has and is on par with if not better than Radford. This was his reasoning as well.
07-24-2015 11:19 AM
bit_9 Offline

(07-24-2015 10:43 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

ding ding ding. they don't want to stay home.
07-24-2015 11:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.