Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Hey Panama
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
OT: Hey Panama
Any commentary on the officiating standards in CONCACAF?
07-23-2015 02:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
RE: OT: Hey Panama
(07-23-2015 02:15 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Any commentary on the officiating standards in CONCACAF?

I didnt watch it because I saw this coming. CONCACAF has become cosa nostra of sports organizations. As for Mexico, the way their fans have behaved in this tournament should get them suspended through the next World Cup. But we know that is not going to happen. Money talks. The worse possible outcome would have been Panama vs. Jamaica.
07-23-2015 02:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Offline

(07-23-2015 02:31 PM)panama Wrote:  
(07-23-2015 02:15 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Any commentary on the officiating standards in CONCACAF?

I didnt watch it because I saw this coming. CONCACAF has become cosa nostra of sports organizations. As for Mexico, the way their fans have behaved in this tournament should get them suspended through the next World Cup. But we know that is not going to happen. Money talks. The worse possible outcome would have been Panama vs. Jamaica.

Pretty much. Mexican fans are just deplorable, but this is fairly normal for the way things work in CONCACAF. I just hate that this happened on US soil. Previously many of the questionable stuff generally happened in other countries.
07-23-2015 02:42 PM
DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I was watching with the sound off when the ca-ca occured.
That was a regular MLS ref.
I turned it off, mostly because I get tired of watching Mexican fans throw things on the field.

I know American fans of various sports are not too far removed from such behaviour,
( ugly incident knocking an NFL ref unconscious with a glass bottle in the 70s, regular snowballs in Denver, etc. ),
but it's cringe-worthy embarrassment to see it continue with such abandon.

Don't they throw such fans out of the game?

On another note, I follow Houston in MLS, so I wasn't too surprised to see Jamaica advance - Barnes is a beast.
People were moaning the fact that the US lost, but in a sense, it's good for American soccer,
because many of the stars from Jamaica are in the American soccer league
( though Mattocks is technically in Canada, and Barnes grew up in England ).

Barnes & Taylor are from Houston, Mattocks with Vancouver, Watson with Dallas, Lawrence with NY
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 02:48 PM by DoubleAggie.)
07-23-2015 02:45 PM
alpha_eagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
All the more reason to outlaw youth soccer here in America, along with juice boxes, 8th place trophies, and Honda mini-vans. We gotta nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand.

jk about the juice boxes...
07-23-2015 02:47 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(07-23-2015 02:45 PM)DoubleAggie Wrote:  I was watching with the sound off when the ca-ca occured.
I turned it off, mostly because I get tired of watching Mexican fans throw things on the field.

I know American fans of various sports are not too far removed from such behaviour,
( ugly incident knocking an NFL ref unconscious with a glass bottle in the 70s, regular snowballs in Denver, etc. ),

On another note, I follow Houston in MLS, so I wasn't too surprised to see Jamaica advance.
People were moaning the fact that the US lost, but in a sense, it's good for American soccer,
because many of the stars from Jamaica are in the America league ( though some are in Canada ).

Barnes & Taylor are from Houston, Mattocks with Vancouver, Watson with Dallas, Lawrence with NY
Jamaica has always been strong. They are a soccer first country. But back to CONCACAF. Not addressing the issue of the fans just reinforces that they were right. "We disrupted a game or games and we won. Hey, lets do it again" But the bottom line is that the US and Mexico are the largest CONCACAF countries by far and anywhere El Tri plays in Mexico, the US or Canada is a guaranteed sell out. So there will be no consequence to last night's events.
07-23-2015 02:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
(07-23-2015 02:47 PM)alpha_eagle Wrote:  We gotta nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand.

To get you up to speed, this has already gone far beyond the point of being nipped in the bud years ago. lol
07-23-2015 02:56 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Jamaica isn't historically strong vs. the US.

Klinsmann is taking an Ambien and turning on a tape recorder then coming up with a roster while he's out of it, plays the tape back and fills out the roster.
07-23-2015 03:20 PM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
Someone randomly cut the hydraulic lines on one of my lifts chained up behind CNN center last night. I'm not saying soccer fans did this, but I've never had a problem before.
07-23-2015 03:20 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

(07-23-2015 02:50 PM)panama Wrote:  
(07-23-2015 02:45 PM)DoubleAggie Wrote:  I was watching with the sound off when the ca-ca occured.

On another note, I follow Houston in MLS, so I wasn't too surprised to see Jamaica advance.
because many of the stars from Jamaica are in the America league ( though some are in Canada ).

Jamaica has always been strong. They are a soccer first country. But back to CONCACAF. Not addressing the issue of the fans just reinforces that they were right. "We disrupted a game or games and we won. Hey, lets do it again" But the bottom line is that the US and Mexico are the largest CONCACAF countries by far and anywhere El Tri plays in Mexico, the US or Canada is a guaranteed sell out. So there will be no consequence to last night's events.

Jamaica has always been strong? In what alternate universe?
07-23-2015 03:22 PM
DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(07-23-2015 03:20 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Klinsmann is taking an Ambien and turning on a tape recorder then coming up with a roster while he's out of it, plays the tape back and fills out the roster.

We need a crazier German like that white haired Jamaica coach.
07-23-2015 03:24 PM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

(07-23-2015 03:22 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  

I am almost 50. Jamaica and Trinadad have always played spoiler in the Americas and they are soccer countries.Not the TOP mind you but solid. I am not surprised to see them in a final.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 04:40 PM by panama.)
07-23-2015 03:45 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

(07-23-2015 03:45 PM)panama Wrote:  

I am almost 50. Jamaica and Trinadad have always played spoiler in the Americas and they are soccer countries.Not the TOP mind you but solid. I am not surprised to see them in a final.

I'm 49, so we're about the same there. I think you and I just have different ideas of the term "strong" though. I've never considered Jamaica to be strong in the sport. When you've qualified for one World Cup in your entire history, the term just doesn't fit.
07-23-2015 05:21 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(07-23-2015 05:21 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  

I'm 49, so we're about the same there. I think you and I just have different ideas of the term "strong" though. I've never considered Jamaica to be strong in the sport. When you've qualified for one World Cup in your entire history, the term just doesn't fit.
When I was growing up the US fell in that category. The other thing I look at is that just by population the US, Mexico and Brazil should always qualify. It takes a miracle for the Panama's Jamaicas's and Trinidad's to qualify. Its a far smaller talent pool they draw from. But growing up I know most people would say they would rather play say Costa Rica rather than the Reggae Boyz.
07-23-2015 05:27 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
What's a juice box?
07-23-2015 05:45 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(07-23-2015 03:20 PM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  Someone randomly cut the hydraulic lines on one of my lifts chained up behind CNN center last night. I'm not saying soccer fans did this, but I've never had a problem before.

There were similar issues in Charlotte when the Mexican team played there a week ago.
07-23-2015 05:50 PM
Advertisement

Volkmar Offline
All American

(07-23-2015 05:27 PM)panama Wrote:  
(07-23-2015 02:50 PM)panama Wrote:  Jamaica has always been strong. They are a soccer first country. But back to CONCACAF. Not addressing the issue of the fans just reinforces that they were right. "We disrupted a game or games and we won. Hey, lets do it again" But the bottom line is that the US and Mexico are the largest CONCACAF countries by far and anywhere El Tri plays in Mexico, the US or Canada is a guaranteed sell out. So there will be no consequence to last night's events.

When I was growing up the US fell in that category. The other thing I look at is that just by population the US, Mexico and Brazil should always qualify. It takes a miracle for the Panama's Jamaicas's and Trinidad's to qualify. Its a far smaller talent pool they draw from. But growing up I know most people would say they would rather play say Costa Rica rather than the Reggae Boyz.

To clarify where I'm coming from, Mexico is traditionally the only CONCACAF representative I would consider strong, though the USA is starting to come of age now also. I understand about the population disparities between nations and all that stuff, but I'm talking just about international success. I accept that many countries haven't had as much success as others for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to, population, interest in the sport, and economics. But one could write volumes of books when you start comparing countries on all the various factors that can affect their success or lack thereof on a pitch.

That said, I've always considered Jamaica decent, but not strong. If it were a larger country, with a greater population, I have little doubt they'd be one of the strongest in the world then. Sports doesn't award countries medals and honors based on per capita calculations though, and neither do I. It would be somewhat akin to someone challenging the notion that the USA has the strongest military force by saying that a different, much smaller country has more weapons per capita.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 06:12 PM by Volkmar.)
07-23-2015 06:08 PM
panama Offline
Legend

Re: RE: OT: Hey Panama
(07-23-2015 06:08 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  
(07-23-2015 03:22 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  Jamaica has always been strong? In what alternate universe?

To clarify where I'm coming from, Mexico is traditionally the only CONCACAF representative I would consider strong, though the USA is starting to come of age now also. I understand about the population disparities between nations and all that stuff, but I'm talking just about international success. I accept that many countries haven't had as much success as others for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to, population, interest in the sport, and economics. But one could write volumes of books when you start comparing countries on all the various factors that can affect their success or lack thereof on a pitch.

That said, I've always considered Jamaica decent, but not strong. If it were a larger country, with a greater population, I have little doubt they'd be one of the strongest in the world then. Sports doesn't award countries medals and honors based on per capita calculations though, and neither do I. It would be somewhat akin to someone challenging the notion that the USA has the strongest military force by saying that a different, much smaller country has more weapons per capita.

Mexico is the UGA Of world football. The most under performing, traditionally disappointing program in the Americas. Their fans think they are Brasil. LOL

So we will go with decent rather than strong for Jamaica.
07-23-2015 06:43 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

(07-23-2015 06:43 PM)panama Wrote:  
(07-23-2015 06:08 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  
(07-23-2015 03:45 PM)panama Wrote:  I am almost 50. Jamaica and Trinadad have always played spoiler in the Americas and they are soccer countries.Not the TOP mind you but solid. I am not surprised to see them in a final.

Mexico is the UGA Of world football. The most under performing, traditionally disappointing program in the Americas. Their fans think they are Brasil. LOL

So we will go with decent rather than strong for Jamaica.

04-cheers
I agree with you on Mexico, dude. I consider them strong because they traditionally always qualify for the World Cup, but they're definitely underperforming because for all their fanaticism over the sport, and all their appearances in the World Cup, they've never once even gotten past the quarterfinal round. I'm a middle school teacher in a school in Texas that's about 40% Hispanic and 40% African American, and sometimes hear my students of Mexican origin talking it up about their team, which prompts me to jump in there on occasion (lol). I like to kid with 'em sometimes like that, all in good fun of course.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 07:26 PM by Volkmar.)
07-23-2015 07:17 PM
alpha_eagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(07-23-2015 02:56 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  
(07-23-2015 02:47 PM)alpha_eagle Wrote:  We gotta nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand.

To get you up to speed, this has already gone far beyond the point of being nipped in the bud years ago. lol

Oh I know...everything I said was tongue in cheek...except for maybe the 8th place trophies and Honda mini-vans.
07-23-2015 07:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.