Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Your thoughts on B12 Expansion and 8 team P5 playoff
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Your thoughts on B12 Expansion and 8 team P5 playoff
Your thoughts on B12 Expansion and 8 team P5 playoff please. I have not had much free time lately. But here goes:

1) B12 commissioner is still selling 10 team conference snake oil!
2) Continues to say there are not any other other worth teams available.
3) However, is he just stonewalling the the Texas message.
4) Oklahoma sounds like they want to expand to at least 12 teams.
5) Kansas State wants to go to 12.
6) B12 owns the names for the Big 12, Big 14, and Big 16
7) I am beginning to hear rumblings for an eight (8) team playoff.
8) Could the American be the sixth power conference?

Finally, I have heard that Boise, BYU, Cincinnati, UConn, Memphis are the most likely targets. Sometimes South Florida and South Florida are also mention.I think given all the current smoke and with ESPN saying they think the B12 will be left out of the playoffs again, that something is going to happen. The other thing that could happen id the B12 implodes. 05-stirthepot

So what is your take on this? 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 03:21 PM by Wilkie01.)
07-22-2015 02:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: Your thoughts on B12 Expansion and 8 team P5 playoff
(07-22-2015 02:54 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Your thoughts on B12 Expansion and 8 team P5 playoff please. I have not had much free time lately. But here goes:

2) Continues to say their are other worth teams.
3) However, is just stonewalling the the Texas message.

Finally, I have heard that Boise, BYU, Cincinnati, UConn, Memphis are the most likely targets. Sometimes South Florida and South Florida are also mention.I think given all the current smoke and with ESPN saying they think the B12 will be left out of the playoffs again, that something is going to happen.

Welcome back!COGS
07-22-2015 03:09 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(07-22-2015 02:54 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Your thoughts on B12 Expansion and 8 team P5 playoff please. I have not had much free time lately. But here goes:

Finally, I have heard that Boise, BYU, Cincinnati, UConn, Memphis are the most likely targets. Sometimes South Florida and South Florida are also mention.I think given all the current smoke and with ESPN saying they think the B12 will be left out of the playoffs again, that something is going to happen. The other thing that could happen id the B12 implodes. 05-stirthepot

2) Because he cannot get a majority to vote yes, courtesy of Texas
7) Nothing can be done about this until the current CFP contract is up
8) Uhhhh ...... no.

Me? I've skipped straight ahead to the end game. #TeamMegaconference
07-22-2015 04:01 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
I could care less if they expand or not!
07-22-2015 04:25 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
First, welcome back. Hope the issues that kept you away are resolved exactly the way you hope they are.

I don't think the B12 should stay at 10. I think they made a mistake adding West Virginia, and I think if they tried they could find a way to fix that which would make a lot of people happy. Nine members would be their best solution, unless some good teams from the SEC or Big Ten want to join them.

An expanded playoff may happen in the future, and it will be a bad thing when it happens. Despite internet fans' desire for symmetry, eliminating one more of the BCS conferences by creating megaconferences will not be an improvement. Right now, we are assured that at least one major conference champion will be excluded from a playoff. That's a good thing - just like a game of musical chairs is more exciting when there are fewer chairs than players. Controversy in the selection process is not a bad thing. In the entertainment business, it is a bad thing when people stop talking about you, not when they are passionately arguing about you.

The only way there will ever be a P6 conference is if one of the P5 decides to formally divide into two separate conferences. There is no possible combination of G5 schools that could be considered on the same plane as the current P5. So, no, the AAC will not be "promoted" to that status.
07-22-2015 05:17 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Welcome back Wilkie!

Since you have been gone, I have really hit the drawing board hard. Here is one just for you.

The Big 12 both expands and contracts. Without going into the details, the Big 12 ends up being an 8 team Conference consisting of:

Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Tex. Tech, TCU, Baylor, Houston, and SMU.

They are at risk of losing the Sugar Bowl and have no chance at a Conference Championship Game with only 8 members.

Meanwhile, without going into the details, the ACC ends up being a 16 team Conference consisting of:

FSU, Clemson, GT, Miami, UofL, WVU, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh
UNC, NCST, Cuse, UConn, Virginia, VATech, WF, Duke

The CFP Committee then decides to move to an 8 team playoff.

Out of fear of being left out and out of fear of who they may end up being associated with, the Southwest teams of the former Big 12 joins forces with the new Atlantic Division of the ACC.

Also,

Out of fear of being left out and out of fear of who they may end up being associated with, Notre Dame teams up with the Coastal Division of the ACC.

The SEC sends 2 to the playoffs as does the PAC, B1G, and newly aligned ACC.

And there you have it.......without getting into the details.
07-22-2015 05:35 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Wilkie welcome back...u scared us. Glad ur posting again.

The AAC as a 6th power conference? Only with a MWC gutting and the AAC taking their best. Also, have to see an 8 or 16 team playoff...not likely for now but in a few years, who knows....
07-22-2015 07:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: RE: Your thoughts on B12 Expansion and 8 team P5 playoff

Thank god you're alive
07-22-2015 08:53 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
* An 8-team playoff will happen but probably not until the current deal expires. It would likely include auto-berths for the P5 (or P4), an auto-berth for the G5 (or whatever) and 2 (or 3) at-large berths. And it will mean ND continues to stay independent, though I don't understand why they care so much.

* Why would the Big 12 add any schools that aren't current P5 members? Seriously, how is adding Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, South Florida, Central Florida, East Carolina or Connecticut going to save the conference? How is that going to satisfy Oklahoma? They'd be a bunch of Kansas/K-State/Iowa State/Texas Tech type "mehs". Maybe the Big 12' tv partners would agree to keep the payouts at $20M/year/school, but I don't see how those schools increase them. If they increased the per-school payout by adding any of them, it'd literally mean that those schools are worth more than the average ACC school. And can anyone on here fathom that?

And while the tv payouts may remain at $20M, the CFP, bowl and NCAAT payouts will most definitely shrink. Or maybe they expand and that in turn allows them to create a Big 12 network in order to boost school payouts. I suppose that's possible. And if it happened, it'd only intensify the ACCN questions currently directed towards Greensboro.

* As for the AAC being a power conference, how would that happen? What thought process lead you to believe that that might be a possibility?
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 09:01 PM by Marge Schott.)
07-22-2015 09:01 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
Glad you're back Wilkie! I was in Kansas & Oklahoma this week so I got to listen to Big 12 Media Days talk from local sports stations. If the Big 12 misses out on the CFP again this could spark some real major changes. But as one guy in Kansas pointed out, the University of Texas holds all the cards and no one in the Big 12 trusts them.
07-22-2015 10:03 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
While on the road some this week I listened to various sports talk radio channels (when did Yahoo! get a sports radio network?) on one of them they talked about an 8 team playoff and the guest they had on said expect the real push to expand it to come when the first bowl cycle ends and each of the bowls has the opportunity to see the difference between the money they bring in as a contract bowl and part of the playoff. Once the bowls see how much more money they make as part of the playoff they'll start pushing hard to get a playoff game more often.

Makes sense to me.
07-22-2015 10:22 PM
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU

1-5) Not enough support for Big 12 expansion yet, but getting closer. Even when there is sufficient support for expansion, where and how to expand will be hugely complex. East? West? South? Network?

6) Big 12 had "intent-to-use" based applications for Big 14 and Big 16; relinquished in 2012 - I believe - because you can only hold onto intent-to-use applications for so long without actually using the mark. But, quick and inexpensive ($275 filing fee) to submit the application again for either.

7) IMO, not likely before the current CFP contract expires. The BCS took forever to give way to the CFP, even when everyone was on board. Weren't there still TWO BCS years even after the new CFP was announced?

8) The Big East was a BCS conference and the MWC was knocking on the door - before the mess hit the fan with realignment. MWC would likely have gained provisional BCS status with single Boise St. addition (and keeping TCU, Utah, and BYU, of course). So, very possible that the AAC could rise competitively and knock the door to merit "power" label.

UConn and Cincinnati have Big East conference championship trophies on their shelf that were won over Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, and Rutgers...UCF has a fairly recent Fiesta Bowl win over Big 12 champ Baylor...

IMO, the AAC could make the jump to the power group if they were to grab Boise St. and perhaps AFA, SDSU, (and BYU?) and a couple of others and consistently earn the G5' access NY6 bowl bid and win a healthy portion of those games against P5 opponents.

However, the P5 will more likely poach from the AAC before it can make a strong case and gain enough support for inclusion. Also, a major counter-argument to MWC inclusion in the BCS was the lower-half of that conference - New Mexico, UNLV, Wyoming - were really bad. AAC now suffers from this same ailment - Temple, Tulane, Tulsa...

One interesting issue to consider is whether it would be a good thing for college football to have the Power 6 elevated to "Division 4" status, such that the top-level of college football had 80 or so teams...the FBS leftovers (ie, G5) would replace the FCS as only making minor appearances on the Division 4 schedules - enabling/forcing(?) the Division 4 institutions to play each other more frequently out of conference and better enabling an 8-team CFP with autobids for the 6 champs with 2 at large/wild card selections....
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 04:04 PM by YNot.)
07-23-2015 04:02 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(07-22-2015 05:35 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Welcome back Wilkie!

Since you have been gone, I have really hit the drawing board hard. Here is one just for you.

The Big 12 both expands and contracts. Without going into the details, the Big 12 ends up being an 8 team Conference consisting of:

They are at risk of losing the Sugar Bowl and have no chance at a Conference Championship Game with only 8 members.

Meanwhile, without going into the details, the ACC ends up being a 16 team Conference consisting of:

Out of fear of being left out and out of fear of who they may end up being associated with, the Southwest teams of the former Big 12 joins forces with the new Atlantic Division of the ACC.

Also,

Out of fear of being left out and out of fear of who they may end up being associated with, Notre Dame teams up with the Coastal Division of the ACC.

I like this scenario! 04-cheers
07-24-2015 06:10 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(07-23-2015 04:02 PM)YNot Wrote:  

1-5) Not enough support for Big 12 expansion yet, but getting closer. Even when there is sufficient support for expansion, where and how to expand will be hugely complex. East? West? South? Network?

6) Big 12 had "intent-to-use" based applications for Big 14 and Big 16; relinquished in 2012 - I believe - because you can only hold onto intent-to-use applications for so long without actually using the mark. But, quick and inexpensive ($275 filing fee) to submit the application again for either.

7) IMO, not likely before the current CFP contract expires. The BCS took forever to give way to the CFP, even when everyone was on board. Weren't there still TWO BCS years even after the new CFP was announced?

8) The Big East was a BCS conference and the MWC was knocking on the door - before the mess hit the fan with realignment. MWC would likely have gained provisional BCS status with single Boise St. addition (and keeping TCU, Utah, and BYU, of course). So, very possible that the AAC could rise competitively and knock the door to merit "power" label.

UConn and Cincinnati have Big East conference championship trophies on their shelf that were won over Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, and Rutgers...UCF has a fairly recent Fiesta Bowl win over Big 12 champ Baylor...

IMO, the AAC could make the jump to the power group if they were to grab Boise St. and perhaps AFA, SDSU, (and BYU?) and a couple of others and consistently earn the G5' access NY6 bowl bid and win a healthy portion of those games against P5 opponents.

However, the P5 will more likely poach from the AAC before it can make a strong case and gain enough support for inclusion. Also, a major counter-argument to MWC inclusion in the BCS was the lower-half of that conference - New Mexico, UNLV, Wyoming - were really bad. AAC now suffers from this same ailment - Temple, Tulane, Tulsa...

One interesting issue to consider is whether it would be a good thing for college football to have the Power 6 elevated to "Division 4" status, such that the top-level of college football had 80 or so teams...the FBS leftovers (ie, G5) would replace the FCS as only making minor appearances on the Division 4 schedules - enabling/forcing(?) the Division 4 institutions to play each other more frequently out of conference and better enabling an 8-team CFP with autobids for the 6 champs with 2 at large/wild card selections....

Agree 04-cheers
07-24-2015 06:11 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(07-24-2015 06:10 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  

Also,

When do we get to see the details?04-cheers
07-24-2015 07:15 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(07-24-2015 07:15 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(07-24-2015 06:10 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  

Also,

When do we get to see the details?04-cheers

I hope soon 07-coffee3
07-24-2015 07:26 AM
Advertisement

EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
I don't think either will happen (Big XII Expansion and an 8 team playoff)

I think we're in for more changes and more reshuffling.....

Oklahoma and FSU are getting disgruntled with their respective conferences....both are big dogs and want big dog money

Texas doesn't quite hold all the cards either....they can't prevent schools from leaving.

TV networks drive the boat now....the next thing that will happen is you'll see B1G get an enormous deal....

The question is, what do schools like Oklahoma, North Carolina, FSU, GIT, Clemson do when they see the gap continue to grow in revenue....

Expansion isn't over yet by a long shot
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2015 08:01 AM by EvilVodka.)
07-24-2015 08:00 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(07-24-2015 08:00 AM)EvilVodka Wrote:  I don't think either will happen (Big XII Expansion and an 8 team playoff)

I think we're in for more changes and more reshuffling.....

Oklahoma and FSU are getting disgruntled with their respective conferences....both are big dogs and want big dog money

Texas doesn't quite hold all the cards either....they can't prevent schools from leaving.

TV networks drive the boat now....the next thing that will happen is you'll see B1G get an enormous deal....

The question is, what do schools like Oklahoma, North Carolina, FSU, GIT, Clemson do when they see the gap continue to grow in revenue....

Expansion isn't over yet by a long shot

I agree the Big will get a Big deal. Not sure about enormous, The Cable model is starting to crack, and ESPN won't be the only one caught in that crack. Pressure on conf as next round of TV deals come up, may well be downward rather than upward. Like all bubbles that pop, the direction change can be dramatic and large.

I agree more reshuffling is going to happen, and for the most part the pecking order has been established, The Big/SEC/Pac will be the peckers, and ACC/Big12/AAC will be the peckees.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2015 10:22 AM by goodknightfl.)
07-25-2015 10:21 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Nope the American will lose two. End result:

ACC 14 teams, plus Notre Dame

SEC 14 teams

Big 14 teams

PAC 12 teams

Big 12 12 teams (added BYU and Cincinnati)

That's a 67 team Division IV. 07-coffee3
07-25-2015 12:36 PM
ClemVegas Offline
Banned

I Root For: Clemson
if the ACC falls apart, i think it is more likely there is a new conference created and a few teams are picked off from SEC and others. I think there are some SEC teams that wouldn't mind changing conferences, like Miss State.

realisticaly, the only program that might leave are FSU. i'd be ok with that.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2015 12:57 PM by ClemVegas.)
07-25-2015 12:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.