Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Charlotte vs. Georgia State, the impact of who wins
Bookmark and Share
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
Granted, a winless team in FBS and a team entering FBS is low on the totem pole for major interest, unless you are a team on their schedule. Such is the case with Liberty. Chris Lang, beat writer for the Lynchburg News & Advance, is reviewing LU's FB opponents and his blog, http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/libert...bbd4.html, has a good perspective on the game as LU plays against GaSt Oct. 3 in the huge Georgia Dome.

As Liberty desires FBS membership, every FBS game is treated as an audition. LU views any win against any FBS team as a big deal. If GaSt gets it's first FBS win against Charlotte in their first game of the year, some of the heat will be off of them being winless, even against a first year FBS program. If Charlotte wins, it will be another step backward for GaSt as a floundering FBS team mired as arguably the worst FBS team.

LU would be benefit most if GaSt wins, as they should be favored against Charlotte, and then LU wins in Atlanta on Oct. 3. No FBS games are easy for a FCS program. Liberty being on the road gives the advantage to GaSt in Georgia. Fortunately the heat is off LU with their last season success, and a consecutive year beating a SBC team on the road would be another forward step for the program.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 02:10 PM by NewTimes.)
07-22-2015 01:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
RE: Charlotte vs. Georgia State, the impact of who wins
(07-22-2015 01:49 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  Granted, a winless team in FBS and a team entering FBS is low on the totem pole for major interest, unless you are a team on their schedule. Such is the case with Liberty. Chris Lang, beat writer for the Lynchburg News & Advance, is reviewing LU's FB opponents and his blog, http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/libert...bbd4.html, has a good perspective on the game as LU plays against GaSt Oct. 3 in the huge Georgia Dome.

As Liberty desires FBS membership, every FBS game is treated as an audition. LU views any win against any FBS team as a big deal. If GaSt gets it's first FBS win against Charlotte in their first game of the year, some of the heat will be off of them being winless, even against a first year FBS program. If Charlotte wins, it will be another step backward for GaSt as a floundering FBS team mired as arguably the worst FBS team.

LU would be benefit most if GaSt wins, as they should be favored against Charlotte, and then LU wins in Atlanta on Oct. 3. No FBS games are easy for a FCS program. Liberty being on the road gives the advantage to GaSt in Georgia. Fortunately the heat is off LU with their last season success, and a consecutive year beating a SBC team on the road would be another forward step for the program.

NewTimes, while I totally agree with your assessment and don't want it to seem that it is not important to play-out as you hope, IMHO, the number one thing that says a program has arrived is the support it receives. As long as you continue to grow your fan support, this will speak louder than wins and losses.

The same goes for all schools and it doesn't matter if it's a P5 or a G5 university. Putting fans in the stands and growing the support given to your athletic club will take any school right to the top of the college football hierarchy.

Don't ever think that if LU schedules an FBS game and the game stats show the attendance numbers went through the roof that the home team's AD wouldn't be on the phone immediately to invite you back even if LU was the victor.

The bean counters at these schools put a lot of pressure on the AD's to fill their coffers with cash. They have a difficult time seeing the indirect benefits of having a football team. This is why a bean counter simply should never hold the top post of a university.
07-22-2015 06:25 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(07-22-2015 06:25 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(07-22-2015 01:49 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  Granted, a winless team in FBS and a team entering FBS is low on the totem pole for major interest, unless you are a team on their schedule. Such is the case with Liberty. Chris Lang, beat writer for the Lynchburg News & Advance, is reviewing LU's FB opponents and his blog, http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/libert...bbd4.html, has a good perspective on the game as LU plays against GaSt Oct. 3 in the huge Georgia Dome.

NewTimes, while I totally agree with your assessment and don't want it to seem that it is not important to play-out as you hope, IMHO, the number one thing that says a program has arrived is the support it receives. As long as you continue to grow your fan support, this will speak louder than wins and losses.

The same goes for all schools and it doesn't matter if it's a P5 or a G5 university. Putting fans in the stands and growing the support given to your athletic club will take any school right to the top of the college football hierarchy.

Don't ever think that if LU schedules an FBS game and the game stats show the attendance numbers went through the roof that the home team's AD wouldn't be on the phone immediately to invite you back even if LU was the victor.

The bean counters at these schools put a lot of pressure on the AD's to fill their coffers with cash. They have a difficult time seeing the indirect benefits of having a football team. This is why a bean counter simply should never hold the top post of a university.
No disagreement with your point BP. The intent of the post was to show how likely the least important FBS game, between the two teams described, will have an importance to teams on their schedules. The second thought was that was alluded to but not stated, was that a LU victory will benefit the program. It will continue to build the FBS intent, give LU greater credibility, and generate interest for the program.

A loss on the other hand would not be catastrophic but likely be considered a step backward by the LU program. We all know GaSt will eventually win a game, and they will be better than they are now in the future. If GaSt loses to Charlotte and GaSt beats LU that could be considered a backward step in program progress.

As you said, fans in the stands, eyeballs on the TV, streamers watching online all influence greatly all football programs. I've become resigned that LU will not receive an FBS invite and that their path to FBS will be by others means. Even if LU was bringing 10,000 fans to away games I still doubt LU would receive an invite. Even in the entry SBC FBS conference.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 09:02 PM by NewTimes.)
07-22-2015 07:02 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-22-2015 07:02 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  

No disagreement with your point BP. The intent of the post was to show how likely the least important FBS game, between the two teams described, will have an importance to teams on their schedules. The second thought was that was alluded to but not stated, was that a LU victory will benefit the program. It will continue to build the FBS intent, give LU greater credibility, and generate interest for the program.

A loss on the other hand would not be catastrophic but likely be considered a step backward by the LU program. We all GaSt is FBS, and they will eventually win a game, and they will be better than they are now in the future. If GaSt loses to Charlotte and GaSt beats LU that could be considered a backward step in program progress.

As you said, fans in the stands, eyeballs on the TV, streamers watching online all influence greatly all football programs. I've become resigned that LU will not receive an FBS invite and that their path to FBS will be by others means. Even if LU was bringing 10,000 fans to away games I still doubt LU would receive an invite. Even in the entry SBC FBS conference.

At least the folk running LU have the desire, our people have simply gotten too comfortable and seem to be waiting on their own retirement so somebody else can deal with it.

As far as setting you guys back, yea, but not to a great degree. Continue to play good teams win or lose. That's what Appy did by playing the best FCS teams they could schedule. They became a perennial top 10 program. We were there with them from 04 - 10 and then lost all our momentum.

In getting back on topic, I'd say against GA State, you guys should be a toss up. What will make a bigger difference than anything is can your team stay motivated in that environment. I think it to be worse than the other extreme of playing on the road at Presbyterian.
07-22-2015 09:13 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(07-22-2015 09:13 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(07-22-2015 07:02 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  

A loss on the other hand would not be catastrophic but likely be considered a step backward by the LU program. We all GaSt is FBS, and they will eventually win a game, and they will be better than they are now in the future. If GaSt loses to Charlotte and GaSt beats LU that could be considered a backward step in program progress.

At least the folk running LU have the desire, our people have simply gotten too comfortable and seem to be waiting on their own retirement so somebody else can deal with it.

As far as setting you guys back, yea, but not to a great degree. Continue to play good teams win or lose. That's what Appy did by playing the best FCS teams they could schedule. They became a perennial top 10 program. We were there with them from 04 - 10 and then lost all our momentum.

In getting back on topic, I'd say against GA State, you guys should be a toss up. What will make a bigger difference than anything is can your team stay motivated in that environment. I think it to be worse than the other extreme of playing on the road at Presbyterian.
As of today, I would favor LU beating GaSt. As the games begin, and shifts and momentum change, we'll see how GaSt plays. Now if Charlotte were to pull the upset, dissension could set in at GaSt and they could stay in their last place position. It's a matter of time before they begin to have modest level of success.

It's tough for me to get a read on JMU. I read your boards and get a mixed bag of perspectives. Seems like you're presently experiencing a downturn in interest due to OOC scheduling if the message boards are any indication of fan interest.

Where others do not support JMU and LU being in the same conference, I do. I believe it would be a great rivalry. I hope you guys get an FBS invite soon. We'll likely be joining you in the future as an indy.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 09:28 PM by NewTimes.)
07-22-2015 09:28 PM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I don't think beating Charlotte or Georgia State would do much for Liberty. They are both FBS but have been FBS for a combined three years or something like that. They don't even have fans to come to their games. Likewise, losing to them wouldn't matter either because they are FBS, they should always be favored against an FCS school.
07-23-2015 05:51 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2015 05:51 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I don't think beating Charlotte or Georgia State would do much for Liberty. They are both FBS but have been FBS for a combined three years or something like that. They don't even have fans to come to their games. Likewise, losing to them wouldn't matter either because they are FBS, they should always be favored against an FCS school.

Doesn't Charlotte average around 16K? While not earth shattering, that's about where I expect them to be at this stage of their program. Some may be trying to compare them to ODU. This would not be fair as the competition for sports entertainment in Charlotte is far greater than Norfolk. In addition, Charlotte is a well educated city with the citizens bringing there alma mater with them as they arrive. Norfolk is a military city with far fewer arriving with an education in hand.

As far as GA State, Atlanta is not a sports town to begin with. Then trying to play in that oversized venue, makes for a less than intimate setting required of the CFB fan.
07-23-2015 06:51 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(07-23-2015 06:51 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(07-23-2015 05:51 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I don't think beating Charlotte or Georgia State would do much for Liberty. They are both FBS but have been FBS for a combined three years or something like that. They don't even have fans to come to their games. Likewise, losing to them wouldn't matter either because they are FBS, they should always be favored against an FCS school.

Doesn't Charlotte average around 16K? While not earth shattering, that's about where I expect them to be at this stage of their program. Some may be trying to compare them to ODU. This would not be fair as the competition for sports entertainment in Charlotte is far greater than Norfolk. In addition, Charlotte is a well educated city with the citizens bringing there alma mater with them as they arrive. Norfolk is a military city with far fewer arriving with an education in hand.

As far as GA State, Atlanta is not a sports town to begin with. Then trying to play in that oversized venue, makes for a less than intimate setting required of the CFB fan.
With LU playing GaSt Oct. 3, I believe that game will have importance for both schools. If GaSt wins a game or two prior to the LU game, they will be favored. If LU is fortunate enough to only lose to WVA and comes in at 3-1, I expect them to be favored. A LU loss to Montana and/or So Ill and even if GaSt is winless I expect GaStto be favored. I'm guessing that GaSt beats Charlotte, ekes a win vs. NMSU and loses to Oregon to be 2-1 entering the LU game. With an open date the week before LU, that gives GaSt extra prep time and another slight edge.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 07:22 AM by NewTimes.)
07-23-2015 07:21 AM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Liberty beats Ga. State.
07-23-2015 01:17 PM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

(07-23-2015 06:51 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

If Charlotte gets 16K per game, that's probably in the bottom 20% of FBS schools if not worse. How many casual fans even know that Charlotte has a team? How many people in Charlotte know that the school has a football team? Beating them isn't a big deal and neither is Georgia State.
07-23-2015 04:16 PM
GE and MTS Offline

An FCS should never be favored over an FBS school unless it is an extremely rare circumstance, for example, UAB in 2017 when they bring back football.

We are playing on the road against a desperate team with a week to prepare. We have not earned the reputation or benefit of the doubt that the perennial powerhouses have. We should not be favored against any FBS school.
07-23-2015 04:20 PM
army56mike Offline

At some point Ga. State will show some improvement. They can't be bad forever. Even schools like Temple and UAB have been able to put a competitive team or winning season. And once perennial loser Rutgers has done quite well for itself of late. I hope we face a much improved and competitive Ga. State team. I want to play the best and beat the best.
07-24-2015 04:55 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-24-2015 04:55 PM)army56mike Wrote:  At some point Ga. State will show some improvement. They can't be bad forever. Even schools like Temple and UAB have been able to put a competitive team or winning season. And once perennial loser Rutgers has done quite well for itself of late. I hope we face a much improved and competitive Ga. State team. I want to play the best and beat the best.

Only a handful of seasons have past since Duke was the laughing stock of college football. A coach makes a world of difference as long as he gets the support of the school.
07-25-2015 07:04 PM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

Oof! I remember that. Duke once sued to get out of a game with UofL, stating their team was "too bad" to play against a competitive team like Louisville.
07-25-2015 09:37 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(07-23-2015 04:20 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  An FCS should never be favored over an FBS school unless it is an extremely rare circumstance, for example, UAB in 2017 when they bring back football.

We are playing on the road against a desperate team with a week to prepare. We have not earned the reputation or benefit of the doubt that the perennial powerhouses have. We should not be favored against any FBS school.
If GaSt were to continue their losing and be winless heading into the LU game, and LU were to have their only loss at WVU, it's very conceivable that LU would be favored by the odds makers. Most non betting football fans would favor LU. It would be interesting if the professional odds makers agreed. An interesting point to monitor as the game nears.
07-26-2015 08:13 PM
GE and MTS Offline

(07-26-2015 08:13 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  
(07-23-2015 04:20 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  An FCS should never be favored over an FBS school unless it is an extremely rare circumstance, for example, UAB in 2017 when they bring back football.

If GaSt were to continue their losing and be winless heading into the LU game, and LU were to have their only loss at WVU, it's very conceivable that LU would be favored by the odds makers. Most non betting football fans would favor LU. It would be interesting if the professional odds makers agreed. An interesting point to monitor as the game nears.

I'd like to see LU with only one loss to WVU or better when they play GSU but I don't think that will happen. Liberty doesn't have the track record to have the benefit of the doubt to be favored against an FBS school. Most non-betting football fans who are clued in enough to make an informed decision would probably by default pick GSU over us and I can't blame them.

Would you pick a 0-3 (or so) home G5 team coming off a bye week with a desperate coaching staff against a 3-1 (or so) FCS team? I'm not even sure if North Dakota State is favored in their games against FBS schools. We'll see.
07-26-2015 09:16 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(07-26-2015 09:16 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  
(07-26-2015 08:13 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  

I'd like to see LU with only one loss to WVU or better when they play GSU but I don't think that will happen. Liberty doesn't have the track record to have the benefit of the doubt to be favored against an FBS school. Most non-betting football fans who are clued in enough to make an informed decision would probably by default pick GSU over us and I can't blame them.

Would you pick a 0-3 (or so) home G5 team coming off a bye week with a desperate coaching staff against a 3-1 (or so) FCS team? I'm not even sure if North Dakota State is favored in their games against FBS schools. We'll see.
It's good fodder in July and it's why we play the games.
07-26-2015 10:08 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

With the GaSt and Charlotte game completed, and GaSt still seeking it's 1st FBS win, and the new FB entry Charlotte winning on the road, and garnering a CUSA win over the SBC, and with LU playing GaSt on Oct. 3, does the Georgia State game slip down further in game importance, even as a FBS team. With Montana's victory, I have to push that game above the GaSt game, and if So Ill plays strong, I'm tempted to place that game above GaSt. Having said that, the worse the GaSt plays, the more important it is for a LU win. If GaSt had beaten Charlotte, and beats others prior to playing LU, the heat would be more on GaSt to win. As GaSt laid another egg, at home, the pressure is more on LU.
09-05-2015 06:40 AM
army56mike Offline

Yes, beating Montana is bigger than beating Georgia St. Everyone beats Georgia St. Montana is a strong historic program that looks really good right now. Montana is a much stronger football team than Ga. State.
09-06-2015 11:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.