Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scheduling and the Access Bowl
Bookmark and Share
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
Apologies if this horse has already been beaten to death here. I bring it up because I was reading such a thread on the Cajun fanbase website this AM.

Seems Benson believes that as a conference we're scheduling too many money games and that that will make it almost impossible for one of our teams to have a legit shot at the Access Bowl. Can't say I disagree with him totally.

Acc'd to Benson our teams need to be scheduling a beatable P5 and then strong G5 opponents in order to have a shot at a decent season-ending record with a decent SOS.

Your thoughts?

Discuss. I'll hang up and listen.
07-21-2015 10:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: Scheduling and the Access Bowl
I would very happy if Georgia Southern's scheduling philosophy was 1 P5 money game (preferably a beatable one) + 2 G5 h&h games + 1 nearby FCS at home. But it appears we are having great difficulties in getting G5 teams to play us so unfortunately it appears we will be taking on 2 P5 for the next several years.
07-21-2015 10:52 AM
MobileBama Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: .
If I'm South Alabama I take as many money games as possible until the new stadium is built. Then I'd schedule 1 P5 money game (preferably a beatable one) + 2 G5 home and home games and 1 nearby FCS at home with the aim at making the Access Bowl.

Money games obviously pay well, excite the fan base and is good for recruiting which will all help building momentum going into the new stadium era. I think any scheduling down by USA at this point would only be for a spot in the GoDaddy Bowl over the Camellia Bowl. I can't see too much gain at this point.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 10:57 AM by MobileBama.)
07-21-2015 10:56 AM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Our schedule this year and next is the model I think everyone should try to get to. This year
@kentucky
NWST
@latech
Akron

Next year
Boise state
Mcneese state
@tulane
@georgia
07-21-2015 11:04 AM
Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
TXST schedule is pretty balanced 1 Money, 1 FCS, and 2 G5s. I can't wait for some revenge on UTSA.

09/05 - at Florida State
09/12 - Prairie View A&M
09/19 - Southern Miss
09/26 - at Houston

09/03 - at Ohio
09/17 - at Arkansas
09/24 - Houston
10/01 - Incarnate Word

09/09 - at Colorado
09/23 - UTSA

09/01 - Tulsa
09/22 - at UTSA

2019- TBA

09/12 - UTSA
09/26 - Ohio

2021-2025
UTSA
07-21-2015 11:10 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(07-21-2015 10:45 AM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Apologies if this horse has already been beaten to death here. I bring it up because I was reading such a thread on the Cajun fanbase website this AM.

Seems Benson believes that as a conference we're scheduling too many money games and that that will make it almost impossible for one of our teams to have a legit shot at the Access Bowl. Can't say I disagree with him totally.

Acc'd to Benson our teams need to be scheduling a beatable P5 and then strong G5 opponents in order to have a shot at a decent season-ending record with a decent SOS.

Your thoughts?

I agree with Karl. Focus on home and homes with regional FBS rivals and low end P5's. Cusa, AAC and Mac and MW home and homes to build up our G5 stature. Every SBC team should have 6 home games per year and no more than one money game. Never more than one FCS as a home opener, but goal should be a full FBS schedule with 6 home games.
07-21-2015 11:12 AM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
It's kind of a catch 22. Most of us have to have a money game, but most of us are not going to take those for cheap. That leaves us in a situation where the majority of the teams offering what we'll accept for a money game are Top 25 programs.

Take in point AState's schedule. We require well over a Million Dollars to travel now. We try to hand that to a Purdue or Colorado, we likely get nowhere because neither school will pay that much. Hence we ended up going to Southern Cal for 1.3 million

I do agree that any non home and home with a G5 school should be banned, and we should do anything in our power to try and get interested P5's to do home and homes, but if we're going to take a money game, it should be a significant amount of money.
07-21-2015 11:13 AM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

(07-21-2015 11:12 AM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  
(07-21-2015 10:45 AM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Apologies if this horse has already been beaten to death here. I bring it up because I was reading such a thread on the Cajun fanbase website this AM.

Your thoughts?

I agree with Karl. Focus on home and homes with regional FBS rivals and low end P5's. Cusa, AAC and Mac and MW home and homes to build up our G5 stature. Every SBC team should have 6 home games per year and no more than one money game. Never more than one FCS as a home opener, but goal should be a full FBS schedule with 6 home games.
conference rule only allows 1 fcs and also must be at home.
07-21-2015 11:14 AM
chiefsfan Offline

(07-21-2015 11:14 AM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  

Your thoughts?

You can get waivers. AState was fully prepared to play 2 FCS games in 2013 whenever MTSU and FAU left us scrambling for a game in January. It was the only way we could force Missouri to give us a home and home.
07-21-2015 11:16 AM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
That sounds great Karl, but we don't have the funds to play less than 1 money game. Those games represent 30-40% of our football budget.
07-21-2015 11:20 AM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

(07-21-2015 11:16 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(07-21-2015 11:14 AM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  

Your thoughts?

You can get waivers. AState was fully prepared to play 2 FCS games in 2013 whenever MTSU and FAU left us scrambling for a game in January. It was the only way we could force Missouri to give us a home and home.

Well that was a pretty extreme circumstance that involved the conference, I don't see any other situation where a waiver would be granted. That was way out of your control.
07-21-2015 11:21 AM
Advertisement

Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
It is and always will be a balancing act. Scheduling money games hurts because it is hard to beat those teams on the road. If you can get those same teams to come to your place, great. You can got the Marshall route and schedule as soft as possible or end up with a soft schedule like NIU did when they cracked the BCS. If you run the table in the G5, you stand a good chance regardless of your schedule. Still, we need to beat some big brands to help with our own marketing as a conference.
07-21-2015 11:23 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
To get the bid you're likely going to have to win a P5 game.

Now a different topic would be finishing in the top spot in the G5 conference payout. If for one year all SBC programs didn't schedule a P5 opponent and loaded up on weaker G5 opponents that could get up the top spot aka more money.

There are 44 OOC games, if 1/4 of them are P5 games and we go 1-10 in those and .500 in all others our winning % would be 39%. Now if we only play G5 opponents we would likely win 5-6% more.

But in reality the $$$ per team amount granted vs. the payout of playing a P5 would be minimal.

The best of both worlds is to limit yourself to only one P5 program, go 2-2 or better OOC, and put butts in the seats for revenue. Simple right?
07-21-2015 11:25 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(07-21-2015 11:20 AM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  That sounds great Karl, but we don't have the funds to play less than 1 money game. Those games represent 30-40% of our football budget.

That's on GS, not Karl. You guys need to figure it out. You need to schedule home and homes with the G5s and get your attendance and donations up.
07-21-2015 11:29 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
(07-21-2015 11:29 AM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  
(07-21-2015 11:20 AM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  That sounds great Karl, but we don't have the funds to play less than 1 money game. Those games represent 30-40% of our football budget.

That's on GS, not Karl. You guys need to figure it out. You need to schedule home and homes with the G5s and get your attendance and donations up.

Next time I hear a GS fan brag out paying more in FCOA I might link to that post.
07-21-2015 11:31 AM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
After this year Troy is more inline with this model. This year is bad because we have to go to NC St in order to get the deal done with them along with trips to Wisconsin and Miss St.

I'm not a Troy fan because of wins and losses.
07-21-2015 11:43 AM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(07-21-2015 11:31 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  

Next time I hear a GS fan brag out paying more in FCOA I might link to that post.

They do have a point...COA is going to force some schools to play a 2nd money game, at least early on to be able to afford it. At least until schools have time to get fundraising together.

That's why we're seeing some league schools holding off for a year before implementing it, and very few are talking exact numbers.
07-21-2015 11:43 AM
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU

You are right. Works like that in the dating world too. There is a pretty girl that I want to go on a date with, and she will go with me whether she wants to or not. Oh wait... that is not how it works at all. Two sides have to agree. Plus... I would have to say GS got more press losing closely to GT or NC State than it would have beating Akron.

Plus with the exception to the top 1 or 2 teams of each of the P5 conferences(3 or 4 in the SEC) there is a lot of fluxuation of performance with some of these money games being schedule 2-4 years down the road. Was it USA that almost beat Tennessee 2 seasons or 3 ago? If they play this season or last, probably not close. Georgia Southern plays the Georgia Tech team from 2 or 3 seasons ago... Southern wins. You show me winnable P5 games 3 to 4 years down the road when they are played, and I'll show you someone from the future with a Gray's Sports Almanac.

Take the bottom 3 from every P5, you got 15 teams for 61 G5 teams. A supply and demand issue.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 11:55 AM by StanMolsonMan.)
07-21-2015 11:45 AM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern

That's why I used the word "we". We (look, I used it again) cannot afford to pay for FCOA without two money games. That's figured out.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 11:52 AM by bullitt_60.)
07-21-2015 11:51 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(07-21-2015 11:45 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  

You are right. Works like that in the dating world too. There is a pretty girl that I want to go on a date with, and she will go with me whether she wants to or not. Oh wait... that is not how it works at all. Two sides have to agree. Plus... I would have to say GS got more press losing closely to GT or NC State than it would have beating Akron.

Plus with the exception to the top 1 or 2 teams of each of the P5 conferences(3 or 4 in the SEC) there is a lot of fluxuation of performance with some of these money games being schedule 2-4 years down the road. Was it USA that almost beat Tennessee 2 seasons or 3 ago? If they play this season or last, probably not close. Georgia Southern plays the Georgia Tech team from 2 or 3 seasons ago... Southern wins. You show me winnable P5 games 3 to 4 years down the road when they are played, and I'll show you someone from the future with a Gray's Sports Almanac.

I love Gray's . . . Never make a prediction without it . . . .

Attached File(s)
.jpg  image.jpg (Size: 589.71 KB / Downloads: 9)
07-21-2015 11:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.