Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt Media Day
Bookmark and Share
DolleyMadison Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
Sun Belt Media Day
http://theadvocate.com/sports/ullafayett...sible-move

Quote:Commissioner Karl Benson has long been a proponent of a 12-team divisional SBC. But at this point, his thought process is being driven less by football than by the other sports despite the fact that he presides over one of just two conferences without a conference championship game.

And as hard as it is to think against the grain of most of the rest of the college football world, he’s perfectly in line to think that way.

For one, the entire point might be moot by next year’s media day.

There is growing belief the NCAA will vote later this year to remove the rule that requires 12 teams to play a conference championship game.

If that’s the case, a 12-team league simply would serve to make the league symmetrical with two six-team divisions. While that would be nice, it also would create another mouth to feed when the conference shares the wealth from television contracts.

There’s also the matter of finding the right fit.

Any prospective team must be capable of being a full-fledged member (more on that later) and must fall within the conference’s footprint. That narrows the list considerably. The SBC already has moved on from considering James Madison and Liberty and is considering a list of other schools now.

03-banghead

#CAA4LYFE
07-21-2015 09:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
RE: Sun Belt Media Day
Interesting.

Doesn't sound like Liberty coming out and saying "Pick me pick me for FBS" has paid off for them. Wonder why they are out of the discussion. And it sounds like it's more complicated than us saying no to the wink wink nudge nudge SBC invite.
07-21-2015 10:24 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(07-21-2015 10:24 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Interesting.

Doesn't sound like Liberty coming out and saying "Pick me pick me for FBS" has paid off for them. Wonder why they are out of the discussion. And it sounds like it's more complicated than us saying no to the wink wink nudge nudge SBC invite.

Liberty is out because they can't get the votes.

We're out because we told them no. Nothing more....
07-21-2015 10:26 AM
2Buck Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison

It's not complicated. This admin will not move to the Sun Belt. They have Coach Withers singing the same song whether he agrees with it or not.
07-21-2015 10:27 AM
moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
wow, that is the first time in the media he has specifically called out Liberty and JMU. No surprise with Liberty, I don't think they had much of a shot anyway, but it looks like either JMU made it absolutely clear they would not accept an invitation or the SBC finally got tired of waiting on JMU and said to hell with them. Hate it, but I guess we can put any hope for JMU joining to rest.
07-21-2015 10:37 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
(07-21-2015 10:26 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

Liberty is out because they can't get the votes.

We're out because we told them no. Nothing more....

That pretty much sums it up. Even though Liberty has tons of $$$ they are a tough sell to conference members, b/c other schools/presidents do not want to put up with them.
07-21-2015 10:53 AM
Advertisement

atljmualum Offline
All American

Sun Belt Media Day

You can't be serious with that last statement
07-21-2015 11:53 AM
HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: Duke Doge

No, No... That's exactly what happened.

SunBelt: JMU, would you be interested in joining the Sun Belt?
JMU: No, we are not interested. We are happy in the CAA.
SunBelt: Are you sure, your fans seem interested in moving up.
JMU: Trust us, we tell our fans what they want...
SunBelt: Ok, well, this is your chance.
JMU: No.. Also, don't offer us an official invite as it's our only out (though a bad one) and it allows our only supporter on the boards an argument.
SunBelt: Sure....
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 12:05 PM by HolyCityDuke.)
07-21-2015 11:59 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(07-21-2015 10:37 AM)moehler Wrote:  wow, that is the first time in the media he has specifically called out Liberty and JMU. No surprise with Liberty, I don't think they had much of a shot anyway, but it looks like either JMU made it absolutely clear they would not accept an invitation or the SBC finally got tired of waiting on JMU and said to hell with them. Hate it, but I guess we can put any hope for JMU joining to rest.

Benson didn't call out either. That was a writer interjection based on other sources.
07-21-2015 12:06 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Sun Belt Media Day
The only thing better than us joining the sbc is knowing that Liberty won't be joining. Now just add Missouri state or no one at all. Don't add coastal Carolina. Good god. No.
07-21-2015 12:26 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
(07-21-2015 11:59 AM)HolyCityDuke Wrote:  

JMU: No.. Also, don't offer us an official invite as it's our only out (though a bad one) and it allows our only supporter on the boards an argument.

it couldn't possibly have gone like this could it...
JMU: o word? Let us talk about that and get back to you.
SunBelt: k give us a call within the week plz.
JMU to self: wow these numbers don't add up... this does not seem like a good solution to our problem.
SunBelt: Yo JMU what do ya say?
JMU: No thanks k bye.
SunBelt: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP???
07-21-2015 01:00 PM
Advertisement

Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

Once App State starts kicking @ss in the Belt for a couple of years they will be CUSA's first choice for the next round of realignment.... not us. Despite UNCC's attempt to block them if they are winning and have already transitioned to FBS they will get the first call from CUSA's commissioner.

Our president has spoken without using words in his best Rose voice, "No Sun Belt on my watch"

No doubt, we are caa4life.
07-21-2015 01:11 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

(07-21-2015 12:26 PM)Potomac Wrote:  The only thing better than us joining the sbc is knowing that Liberty won't be joining. Now just add Missouri state or no one at all. Don't add coastal Carolina. Good god. No.

Coastal lucked out. They took a risk hiring Moglia (I'm sure his wealth had something to do with his appeal) but to actually have him work out so well? WTF, Fordham and Delaware should be licking his feet to get him to jump ship.

I'd use a different metaphor but not in mixed company. 05-nono
07-21-2015 01:40 PM
DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

(07-21-2015 12:26 PM)Potomac Wrote:  The only thing better than us joining the sbc is knowing that Liberty won't be joining. Now just add Missouri state or no one at all. Don't add coastal Carolina. Good god. No.

My first thought exactly which is pretty sad as a fan. As I can no longer get joy in JMU progressing I'm now rooting for others to not progress. Wait?!?! Maybe I should run for public office.
07-21-2015 01:58 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
big time mistake bringing in Coastal, they only average around 8-9 thousand a game for good reason, who wants to sit on metal bleachers in 100 degree weather, to watch ULL vs Coastal? Plus their in direct competition with a so many other things to do in the area, golf, boating, the beaches etc. I could see after a couple of losing years, their attendance somewhere in the 5-6 thousand range. Have no freckin idea why the SBC is in such a hurry, wait a couple of years, maybe JMU or some other program comes around. Stupid.
07-21-2015 02:51 PM
Dukeman Offline
Special Teams

Coastal has proven the ambition/desire to elevate their athletics.

Their trajectory is very different from what JMU has done.
07-21-2015 03:03 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(07-21-2015 01:00 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  
(07-21-2015 11:59 AM)HolyCityDuke Wrote:  

it couldn't possibly have gone like this could it...
JMU: o word? Let us talk about that and get back to you.
SunBelt: k give us a call within the week plz.
JMU to self: wow these numbers don't add up... this does not seem like a good solution to our problem.
SunBelt: Yo JMU what do ya say?
JMU: No thanks k bye.
SunBelt: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP???

Then you need to demand some of the money back from the infamous "study" the school paid for.
07-21-2015 03:30 PM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

You got that right - arkstfan
07-21-2015 03:32 PM
truthahn Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU, VT

Except Missouri State is outside of the SB footprint, too. One state too high, just like JMU. Also, Missouri State has turned them down just as much as we have.

All of that is nonsense, of course. The Sun Belt would gladly add JMU or Missouri State, or both even.

They also don't need to expand just to be able to drop down to 16 basketball games. They could just agree to play 16 games leaving out 2 homes and 2 aways from their double round robin schedule. The ACC did that for one year after Miami and VT joined but before BC joined a year later.
07-21-2015 03:33 PM
NovaDuke Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-21-2015 11:53 AM)atljmualum Wrote:  

You can't be serious with that last statement

Atl, I think Deez is serious..........ly drinking purple kool-aid. Deez has a 1 gallon per day habit.
07-21-2015 04:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.