Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

swofford interview-playoffs
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
swofford interview-playoffs
Swofford talks about a lot of things-realigning ACC, ACC Network and expanding the playoffs:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...-post.html

On the College Football Playoff and the possibility of expansion

Swofford: “Based on the decision-makers in the room, no, I don’t. I think we’re at four probably for the duration of this contract. At least that’s the way I read it at this point of time. My comment at been, in a perfect world and in the perfect football standpoint, I felt eight is a really good number with the five power conferences champions having a guaranteed slot and three at-large slots. In today’s world and within the parameters that we’re working in, I didn’t think that would happen. I think we’re at four for all the right reasons. The bookends, so to speak, are not interfering with exams in September and not making it a two-semester sport deep into January. That makes it really difficult to be beyond four. Those are good reasons because they are related to education and academics and the collegiate experience. I don’t sense from the Presidents that oversee the football playoff or the management committee at this time, any movement beyond four.”

Sounds a little like some are worried about the outcome of litigation and that 8 makes them look worse.
07-20-2015 11:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: swofford interview-playoffs
(07-20-2015 11:03 AM)bullet Wrote:  Swofford talks about a lot of things-realigning ACC, ACC Network and expanding the playoffs:

Swofford: “Based on the decision-makers in the room, no, I don’t. I think we’re at four probably for the duration of this contract. At least that’s the way I read it at this point of time. My comment at been, in a perfect world and in the perfect football standpoint, I felt eight is a really good number with the five power conferences champions having a guaranteed slot and three at-large slots. In today’s world and within the parameters that we’re working in, I didn’t think that would happen. I think we’re at four for all the right reasons. The bookends, so to speak, are not interfering with exams in September and not making it a two-semester sport deep into January. That makes it really difficult to be beyond four. Those are good reasons because they are related to education and academics and the collegiate experience. I don’t sense from the Presidents that oversee the football playoff or the management committee at this time, any movement beyond four.”

Sounds a little like some are worried about the outcome of litigation and that 8 makes them look worse.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to argue against expanding the playoff, but this continued leadership trope on "not making it a 2 semester sport" is not one of them. Adding a week to 10 days past the current end of the season for 2 teams is not some type of radical expansion of the calendar. It's one of my pet peeve commissioner/president arguments against playoff expansion - it's such an inconsequential item that affects *only* 2 teams, yet *that's* where they draw the line in the sand after all of their money-grubbing actions in every other issue in college sports?! It's ridiculous and we shouldn't let them get away with that hypocrisy.
07-20-2015 11:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
If basketball were to become a one-semester sport I'd take the argument for football being one semester more seriously.
07-20-2015 12:26 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(07-20-2015 11:58 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(07-20-2015 11:03 AM)bullet Wrote:  Swofford talks about a lot of things-realigning ACC, ACC Network and expanding the playoffs:

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to argue against expanding the playoff, but this continued leadership trope on "not making it a 2 semester sport" is not one of them. Adding a week to 10 days past the current end of the season for 2 teams is not some type of radical expansion of the calendar. It's one of my pet peeve commissioner/president arguments against playoff expansion - it's such an inconsequential item that affects *only* 2 teams, yet *that's* where they draw the line in the sand after all of their money-grubbing actions in every other issue in college sports?! It's ridiculous and we shouldn't let them get away with that hypocrisy.

Yes, that's one of the more ridiculous arguments. And how much does anyone really do in the first week of a semester?
07-20-2015 01:11 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(07-20-2015 12:26 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  If basketball were to become a one-semester sport I'd take the argument for football being one semester more seriously.

Exactly. Several sports (i.e. basketball, hockey, etc.) span across multiple semesters. Plus, different schools are going to have different semester schedules (or even quarter schedules that don't match up at all to the semester calendar). This argument really annoys me (as it's an artificial and BS way to show that these leaders actually care about the educational aspect) and I wish a reporter would call out anyone that uses it. Protecting the value of the regular season and/or protecting the bowl system are much more substantive arguments against playoff expansion (even if I don't personally agree with that position).
07-20-2015 01:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

Did we eliminate the spring game? Football is essentially a year round sport and everybody knows it.
07-20-2015 01:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.