Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kickoff Discussion #12: Purdue @ Marshall
Bookmark and Share
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
Kickoff Discussion #12: Purdue @ Marshall
The last C-USA game scheduled for week 1 (North Texas isn't playing in week one. They open on 9-12) is Purdue @ Marshall. This is the "payback" game for a one and one with the Boilermakers, and I think a good opener for Marshall being a second tier BIG team.

Purdue returns a fairly large number of players from last year's 3-9 team that barely beat Western Michigan and DID lose to Central Michigan at home. So they will be more experienced. When Marshall played at Purdue in 2012, the Herd played well losing in a 51-41 final during a 4th quarter push by Purdue. Purdue has also struggled with G5 level teams over the past several years, losing to Cincinnati and Northern Illinois in 2013.

But past schedules are not very indicative of how things will go this time around. While the Herd also returns plenty on both sides of the ball, the loss of key skill players on offense and defense (which are well documented on this site) has most wondering how quickly Marshall will get on track. Much depends on how prepared Michael Birdsong at QB will be.

I think this will be a close game, and I'm going to acknowledge up front that this is a bit of a homer pick, but I do think that the Herd will pick up win #1 at home. Marshall 31; Purdue 27.
07-19-2015 07:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
RE: Kickoff Discussion #12: Purdue @ Marshall
Marshall wins big at home by 3 TDs at least.
07-19-2015 08:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cscollis Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: La Tech
Purdue is a bottom feeder p5, right there with the wake forests of the world. Marshall should win this one going away by at least 14 even with a new Qb. CUSA needs the win as much as MU so I will have my MU Pom poms out.
07-19-2015 08:05 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Purdue is the consensus preseason cellar dweller in the B1G, and the Herd is playing them at home. This should be no contest.
07-19-2015 08:10 AM
bonegreen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall
Marshall returns 6 or 7 players that caught TD passes, Devon Johnson and 3 OL. The secondary returns 8 of 9 that played. Three players for the front 6 on D that have nothing to prove. DL has to prove it. Kickers far above average . Purdue has already been tagged a 14 pt dog. And since you mentioned the CMU game..it was a 21 pt loss the second game of the yr at Purdue. I like our chances. And some of this a conservative report.
07-19-2015 08:10 AM
MU42 Offline
1st String

If they score 20 and we don't score 40 I'll be disappointed. I don't think we are in danger of losing in any way.
07-19-2015 09:20 AM
Advertisement

FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

Not even close imo.

Marshall 44

Purdue 17

I think biggest question is how big will our crowd be?

I'm predicting we have 36k+
07-19-2015 11:18 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
No way to the OP prediction. Herd 45-PU 13
07-19-2015 02:23 PM
chidave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Marshall 38-21. Another big game for CUSA in Week 1.
07-19-2015 05:33 PM
MU42 Offline
1st String

Since we have been on the upswing (2013) we have only played two p5 schools. Maryland who was 7-5 I think when we beat in a bowl game and VT who we lost to in 3OT in Lane Stadium. We blew that game. We should have beat Purdue in 2012 but Cato threw 2 pick 6's on back to back passes. We lost by 10. They are by far the worst p5 team we have played in 10 years or so.
07-19-2015 08:13 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
I wouldn't be so sure about blowing Purdue out of the park. They're on an upswing. If they keep winning 2 more games each year, they'll be 5-7 this year -- meaning a challenge for Marshall. I think it'll be close. Go Herd!
07-19-2015 09:34 PM
Advertisement

MarshallHerdFanz Offline
1st String

Marshall wins 38-21
07-20-2015 08:00 AM
RedParallax Offline
Special Teams

I think the Purdue game will be close, with everything depending on how prepared and/or how quickly Birdsong can pick up the offense in an actual game situation. W/L falls mostly on turnovers and Birdsong's play. If we lose by 1 possession, Birdsong plays well, and we minimize turnovers, I'll be perfectly happy.

I had a back-and-forth on /r/cfb with a Purdue fan about the game and his 2 cents was that the overall approach to the game by this Purdue program is different from when we played them a few years ago. New coaching staff that has more of a ground-and-pound attitude. They've got solid corners, but safety is a big question mark. Their LB's are built for stopping the run moreso than the pass, so Birdsong could have a lot open up for him and the receivers. If their D is built to stop the run, it'll also be an interesting test for Johnson.
07-20-2015 08:18 AM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
The game will be close. This is a B10 team. We have a new QB, even as good as he may be, the first game back in almost 2 years will be an adjustment. My concern is DL and CB. If we take care of the football and start fast, we win. Cough it up and sputter, it could get interesting.
07-20-2015 08:47 AM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
Didn't lose to Purdue in a 4th qtr push. We lost to Purdue due to a bad 2nd qtr. Cato had a bad day with i think 4 interceptions and a couple pick 6s. We almost came back in the second half, from a 20 something deficit. Our defense was atrocious that year however, thus the 51 pts. We had them in several 3rd and longs and couldn't get off the field.

That being said, we win this game 45-17. Anyone who liked to bet should bet Marshall -13 and skip to the bank monday morning. And parallax, if you are serious about being perfectlt happy, losing to purdue in a home opener, then you make me want to puke. We lose this game, we might as well write off even going to a bowl.
07-20-2015 09:25 AM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

(07-20-2015 08:18 AM)RedParallax Wrote:  I think the Purdue game will be close, with everything depending on how prepared and/or how quickly Birdsong can pick up the offense in an actual game situation. W/L falls mostly on turnovers and Birdsong's play. If we lose by 1 possession, Birdsong plays well, and we minimize turnovers, I'll be perfectly happy.

I had a back-and-forth on /r/cfb with a Purdue fan about the game and his 2 cents was that the overall approach to the game by this Purdue program is different from when we played them a few years ago. New coaching staff that has more of a ground-and-pound attitude. They've got solid corners, but safety is a big question mark. Their LB's are built for stopping the run moreso than the pass, so Birdsong could have a lot open up for him and the receivers. If their D is built to stop the run, it'll also be an interesting test for Johnson.

His 2 cents is wrong. Unless you suppose a Purdue team that was 91st against the run in 2014, giving up almost 200 yards a game suddenly shored up. Ironically, their pass defense was mediocre, instead of terrible, coming in at 55. So they were better against the pass and look to be this year as well. And they were equally inept on offense, 71st in rushing offense and 101 in passing, 108 overall.

No pieces changed that would significantly impact any of this so i see no reason why or how they could hope to stop a healthy DJ. Birdsong could not throw a single pass and I feel like we would win 35-14
07-20-2015 09:37 AM
Advertisement

WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Marshall 70

Purdue 10

Birdsong sets FBS record for passing TD's in a game..
07-20-2015 09:51 AM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

and here come the jealous WKU fans.
07-20-2015 10:10 AM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

(07-20-2015 10:10 AM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  and here come the jealous WKU fans.

No all are that way, its mainly just that guy, he has serious problems.
07-20-2015 10:15 AM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Marshall 49, Purdue 31

Will not be as easy as hoped for
07-20-2015 10:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.