Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pappy poses the question whether or not we want football at UALR.
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Pappy poses the question whether or not we want football at UALR.
In the past I've been somewhat in favor of it if we could get the financial backing we need from the community. However I don't think this is the right time. If our women's basketball program stays at a high level, and our men's move to a higher level of competence for a good period of time, it might be feasible to look into football.

But we would have to be in a position to hire a good coach and be competitive right off the bat, which is pretty tough to do. So for now, I say build basketball to a level where we can compete with higher mid major conferences, build our identity, and maybe years from now, football might be an option. But not in the foreseeable future.04-cheers
07-17-2015 10:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
RE: Pappy poses the question whether or not we want football at UALR.
(07-17-2015 10:46 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  In the past I've been somewhat in favor of it if we could get the financial backing we need from the community. However I don't think this is the right time. If our women's basketball program stays at a high level, and our men's move to a higher level of competence for a good period of time, it might be feasible to look into football.

But we would have to be in a position to hire a good coach and be competitive right off the bat, which is pretty tough to do. So for now, I say build basketball to a level where we can compete with higher mid major conferences, build our identity, and maybe years from now, football might be an option. But not in the foreseeable future.04-cheers

I'd like to see one here, but I just can't see it being successful enough to make it.
07-17-2015 12:01 PM
GuyChoate Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Little Rock
The timing seems pretty good with War Memorial, though. If we could get some local recruits, we could use them to build some community backing. No doubt it would be expensive, but I feel like we've got some good momentum with the women's BB team and volleyball and the excitement over Coach Beard. We could at least get the ball rolling so that when our men's team starts winning, people would immediately take our football team seriously.
07-20-2015 09:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
The availability of War Memorial Stadium has always been a big plus in my mind. You make some good points. But we need a sugar daddy to step up and put up the money, and I'm not sure one exists that would have that much interest in Trojan football. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Chasse can come up with someone who could and would put up that sort of cash. Like Boone Pickens at Oklahoma State. That's what we really need to have a thriving football program. But until that happens, let's just enjoy what's going on with basketball. Football would be icing on the cake.
07-20-2015 10:00 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2015 10:00 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  The availability of War Memorial Stadium has always been a big plus in my mind. You make some good points. But we need a sugar daddy to step up and put up the money, and I'm not sure one exists that would have that much interest in Trojan football. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Chasse can come up with someone who could and would put up that sort of cash. Like Boone Pickens at Oklahoma State. That's what we really need to have a thriving football program. But until that happens, let's just enjoy what's going on with basketball. Football would be icing on the cake.

How many Boone Pickens in Arkansas? And if there were a lot, they'd most likely be a hog lover.
07-20-2015 10:50 AM
Advertisement

Mr. Basketball Offline
2nd String

I Root For: LR/Ga Southern
(07-20-2015 10:50 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(07-20-2015 10:00 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  The availability of War Memorial Stadium has always been a big plus in my mind. You make some good points. But we need a sugar daddy to step up and put up the money, and I'm not sure one exists that would have that much interest in Trojan football. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Chasse can come up with someone who could and would put up that sort of cash. Like Boone Pickens at Oklahoma State. That's what we really need to have a thriving football program. But until that happens, let's just enjoy what's going on with basketball. Football would be icing on the cake.

How many Boone Pickens in Arkansas? And if there were a lot, they'd most likely be a hog lover.

How about them Clintons and Walmart folks....?????
07-20-2015 02:18 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2015 02:18 PM)Mr. Basketball Wrote:  How about them Clintons and Walmart folks....?????

Years ago when Newell was here and the program was rolling, Clinton who was governor at the time, came to a lot of games. The Walton's I suspect keep most of their money in NW Arkansas, and I would suspect that they may be hog fans. Plus the fact that the Clinton's are New Yorkers now, and they may follow New Jersey Tech.

Don't know of any rich Little Rock folks other than the Stephens' family, and they have already done more than their share.
07-20-2015 06:51 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Online
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
My acquaintances are more likely to be hundredaires than billionaires.
07-20-2015 08:34 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Online
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
I can see why Little Rock alums might like to have a football team so they could root for their alma mater. But with their games in LR, the Hogs probably have had the loyalties of that market sewed up long since. Been there too long for folks to change gears. I just think it would be a very expensive exercise in futility, and would relegate basketball to an asterisk. I have no way of knowing that, but that is my best guess.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 07:51 AM by MICHAELSPAPPY.)
07-21-2015 07:33 AM
Advertisement

GuyChoate Offline
Water Engineer

I went to graduate school at the University of New Orleans where they played club football, which acts independently of the university's athletic department. The players and coaches go out and raise their own money, etc. They were still playing club football when I left in 2012, but the students on campus like it. It adds something special to the campus feel. Here's a nice article about it from 2009 in the Times-Pic, and there's a Little Rock Trojans mention.

http://www.nola.com/uno/index.ssf/2009/0...m_gro.html
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 08:39 AM by GuyChoate.)
07-21-2015 08:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GuyChoate Offline
Water Engineer

It's also a nice way to gauge interest--from both the players' and community's perspective.
07-21-2015 08:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.