Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kickoff Discussion #11: Mississippi State @ Southern Miss
Bookmark and Share
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
Kickoff Discussion #11: Mississippi State @ Southern Miss
I was trying to get all of these first week games posted before Media Days, but my vacation put a dent in my plans. With only two games to go, for week one, I think I'll just get in under the wire...so watch for the final week one game on Sunday.

But today, let's take a look at a very tough one: Mississippi State @ Southern Miss. I'm sure the Rock will be filled to capacity in Hattiesburg, and in year's past this would be a much anticipated match. I'm sure it evokes strong feelings by the Golden Eagles faithful.

There seems to be little question that both Mississippi State and USM are not the teams they were last year. Although MSU still has Dax Prescott who will undoubtedly do very well, they only return 7 total starters, not counting the punter, and will not be flirting with #1 this year. In fact, most press I've seen about the Bulldogs is that they will finish no better than fifth in the West. But that is 5th in the SEC west, so while they might be off their game, I wouldn't expect them to be that far off their game. They are going to be a tough opener for the home town boys.

Monken, on the other hand, has USM headed in the right direction, and I see them as a potential bowl eligible team at the end of the season at 6-6. But they have a difficult schedule, and will need to win all 6 of the games I see where they have a chance, but happily 4 of those are at home. As I've said many times on this board, C-USA needs Southern Miss to be strong, and they seem to be climbing back, but this opener isn't going to help the cause.

If USM can hold it close in the first half, and score, they will have made progress. But I do see a Bulldog win, by a fairly wide margin. I don't want that to be the case, but I'll say Mississippi State 37 - Southern Miss - 10.
07-17-2015 07:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Kickoff Discussion #11: Mississippi State @ Southern Miss
Even though MSU will most likely win the game, it will be closer that many think it will. MSU 31, USM 23....
07-17-2015 07:27 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(07-17-2015 07:27 AM)nastybunch Wrote:  Even though MSU will most likely win the game, it will be closer that many think it will. MSU 31, USM 23....
I hope for a score like that.. Hell I hope for a win.. I've seen recent snapchat videos of the boys doing their conditioning, they look to be in better shape than last season, which is leaps and bounds better than 2012.
07-17-2015 07:33 AM
Noodles Offline
All American

USM wins.
07-17-2015 07:44 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
I've seen a lot on State saying they lost a lot of talent.. We won't know until that weekend..

Chances are I'll miss the game.. Sept 6th a new Eagle fan is expected to make his way into the world.
07-17-2015 08:46 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
MSU has Manny Diaz this year. Will be hard to score on them. They will take away your run game and force you to pass. How good is the passing game supposed to be?
07-17-2015 09:08 AM
Advertisement

FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
I think this is one of the perfect storms for a MAJOR upset for So Miss and CUSA.

This is the first real game with only having 7 returning starters. Thats nuts. It's a home game for So Miss, and everyone seems to think So Miss is greatly improved.

So Miss - 24

Miss St - 19

Question is, will Miss St be ranked?
07-17-2015 10:28 AM
eagle83 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-17-2015 09:08 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  MSU has Manny Diaz this year. Will be hard to score on them. They will take away your run game and force you to pass. How good is the passing game supposed to be?

What's a run game?
07-17-2015 10:42 AM
USM@FTL Offline
All American

I was in Starkville for last year's game. We had flashes of talent here and there, but MSU was polished and confident. We had a goal line stand early on that gave me some hope.

In 2013, we had NO offensive line. In 2014, we had a BAD offensive line. That finally got to us when Mullens went down versus La Tech. We could have been 6-6 last year had that not happened. We fired our OLine coach after game 10 and IMMEDIATELY improved. So, I expect Mullens to have a little more time to make his decisions in the pocket this year. We also might have an average running game, which hasn't existed AT ALL since the 0-12 2012 season when we had no passing game AT ALL. Casey Martin, Michael Thomas, and Mullens are a known, solid commodity. We will have a passing game. If we can find one single deep threat, we'll have a good passing game. If we can create a running game to ease the pressure, we might have a good offense overall.

Our season is going to rest on our front-7 performance on defense. Our best DLineman left early for the NFL. That hurt. We have to grow up quickly there, otherwise everyone is going to run it down our throats. I expect MSU to try this. We have to play sky high to stop them. We've had an infusion of talent in our linebacking corps, so we have some hope. Our secondary should be solid, fingers crossed.

I'm an optimist. I think we have a shot. We just need some luck. I plan to be there for that game. I hope to be screaming my lungs out all game long.
07-17-2015 10:51 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(07-17-2015 09:08 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  MSU has Manny Diaz this year. Will be hard to score on them. They will take away your run game and force you to pass. How good is the passing game supposed to be?

Tell that to Texas fans. Who knows if MSU will be getting LA Tech Manny or UT Manny.
07-17-2015 11:10 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(07-17-2015 11:10 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  

Tell that to Texas fans. Who knows if MSU will be getting MTSU, MSU, LA Tech, UT 2012 Manny, or UT 2013 Manny.

FIFY. He's a really good DC.
07-17-2015 11:32 AM
Advertisement

CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
38-21 Cowbell wins the day unfortunately.
07-17-2015 11:40 AM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

(07-17-2015 11:32 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  
(07-17-2015 11:10 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  

Tell that to Texas fans. Who knows if MSU will be getting MTSU, MSU, LA Tech, UT 2012 Manny, or UT 2013 Manny.

FIFY. He's a really good DC.

I agree, and I'm sure most MTSU would as well. I think he is one of the best in the country.
07-17-2015 11:47 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I'd be pleasantly shocked if we lost by less than 28 points.
07-17-2015 11:57 AM
HarborPointe Online
North American Champion

Miss. State won't be nearly as good as they were last year, but unless we're 30 points better on top of that, it won't matter. We can't help but be better than we were last season after Mullens got hurt, but I'll believe we're "much improved" when I see it. If we're still in this game at the end of the 3rd quarter, I'll be ecstatic.
07-17-2015 12:28 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Yep. I just want to see us compete. It is hard watching us get our faces beat in every week.
07-17-2015 12:41 PM
Advertisement

ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(07-17-2015 12:28 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  Miss. State won't be nearly as good as they were last year, but unless we're 30 points better on top of that, it won't matter. We can't help but be better than we were last season after Mullens got hurt, but I'll believe we're "much improved" when I see it. If we're still in this game at the end of the 3rd quarter, I'll be ecstatic.

Mississippi State was picked last in the West in the SEC pre-season Media Poll.
07-17-2015 06:21 PM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
I have a odd feeling that this game will be a battle to the death. Won't be surprised if USM wins
07-17-2015 08:55 PM
HarborPointe Online
North American Champion

(07-17-2015 06:21 PM)ESE84 Wrote:  
(07-17-2015 12:28 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  Miss. State won't be nearly as good as they were last year, but unless we're 30 points better on top of that, it won't matter. We can't help but be better than we were last season after Mullens got hurt, but I'll believe we're "much improved" when I see it. If we're still in this game at the end of the 3rd quarter, I'll be ecstatic.

Mississippi State was picked last in the West in the SEC pre-season Media Poll.

And where do think USM would've placed if they were on the ballot?
07-17-2015 09:39 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
didn't read through it yet.....time for a homer opinion that I actually believe will happen...southern miss by 3 with a fg as the final seconds tic-toc.....

I'm going '80s with this one....

kick 'em when they're down on the ground....try to find the strength that was once southern miss football...something that former players/fans/students and the rest of the conference is looking for in a leader....become leaders of future men....play that way....don't let anything interfere.....this could be something special if you believe in body and soul winning the war on the field....

make it happen....I believe in Monk and I believe in team.....

fk all the bullshite.....believe
07-17-2015 10:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.