Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
RE: ACC Sports Journal: Projected Football Standings
7-5 for us would be a "Bad Year"!!!04-chairshot

FLossY Out...04-wine
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2015 11:29 AM by HRFlossY.)
07-16-2015 09:40 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Besides @Clemson, who do they have FSU losing to? I assume @GT?

Bigger question: who are Louisville's other 2 losses?

RE VT: hate on, the truth will soon be revealed. Hokies are flirting with the playoffs this year. BOOKMARK IT!
07-16-2015 09:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
If FSU is losing to GT and Clemson, then who is GT losing to? Clemson and VT? So then who is VT losing to? Virginia? 03-lmfao

No comment necessary on VT to the CFP. The same running "objection" Terry has with regards to ND applies to me and VT.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2015 09:47 AM by Marge Schott.)
07-16-2015 09:44 AM
Eagle78 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BC
ACC Sports Journal: Projected Football Standings
As an Eagle Fan, this is like Groundhog Day for me. Pretty much every year, BC beats the "experts'" pre-season prognostications. I expect this year to be no different.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2015 09:57 AM by Eagle78.)
07-16-2015 09:56 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-16-2015 09:56 AM)Eagle78 Wrote:  As an Eagle Fan, this is like Groundhog Day for me. Pretty much every year, BC beats the "experts'" pre-season prognostications. I expect this year to be no different.

[Image: Groundhog-peeking-out-hole-animation.gif]
07-16-2015 10:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
So who are they projecting will be Miami's new head coach?
07-16-2015 11:13 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

Reading between the lines here, they are projecting that the ACC will go 42-14 in their OOC regular season schedule (with 5 of those losses coming at the hands of Notre Dame - all but Clemson). That, of course, would be an unprecedented level of OOC success.

They are projected to go 8-7 against P5 conference opponents, 17-2 against G5's and 16-0 against the FCS. I assume these would shake out as follows:

P5 wins: Kentucky (Louisville), Purdue (VT), Illinois (UNC), Indiana (Wake), Northwestern (Duke), Florida (FSU) and South Carolina (UNC & Clemson).

P5 losses: Ohio State (VT), Georgia (GT), Iowa (Pitt), Nebraska (Miami), UCLA (UVa), Auburn (Louisville) and LSU (Syracuse).

G5 losses: Boise (UVa) and Northern Illinois (BC).

While that's possible, IMO it's also optimistic. I'd be very happy with 39-17 (23-17 vs FBS).
07-16-2015 11:50 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
(07-16-2015 09:35 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  [Image: CKCTzPxWsAABRC-.jpg:large]

David Glenn and his peeps at the ACC Sports Journal sure have alot of faith that Deshaun Watson doesn't re-injure his already "ACL Torn" knee.

Clemson 6-2
FSU 6-2
NC State 5-3
Louisville 4-4

Virginia Tech, with questions at QB, is going to lose only 1 #goacc game?

[Image: jonahjameson-laughing-at-spiderman.gif]

I believe, seriously (and will hold this position until at least the 3rd weekend in October) that one can take Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Pitt and North Carolina, put 'em in a hat and pick the order better than we can in this thread.

And, I think the Coastal champ will have at least 2 #goacc losses. Sorry HokieMark and crew.
07-16-2015 11:50 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

This year's conference schedule is interesting. The four southern schools, Clemson, GT, FSU and Miami are playing a full round robin against each other - something that some of us have suggested as an annual thing to help our top teams' SOS come CFP selection time.

Also playing a four team round robin are Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse and Virginia.

Using average Sagarin power ratings over the last five years as a surrogate for 2015 strength for each team, I ranked the difficulty of each team's conference schedule. Keep in mind that the schedules of the better teams are hurt by the fact that they don't have to play themselves, while those of the weaker teams are more difficult because they don't get to play themselves.

The rankings are as follows (crossover opponents in parentheses):

1. Miami 75.8 (FSU, Clemson)
2. Ga Tech 75.6 (FSU, Clemson)
3. NC State 75.2 (UNC, Va Tech)
4. Wake 75.1 (Duke, UNC)
5. BC 74.9 (Duke, Va Tech)
6. UVa 74.1 (Cuse, Ville)
7. Cuse 73.7 (UVa, Pitt)
7. Clemson 73.7 (Ga Tech, Miami)
9. Pitt 73.3 (Cuse, Ville)
10.FSU 73.0 (Miami, Ga Tech)
11.Ville 72.8 (UVa, Pitt)
12.Duke 71.7 (Wake, BC)
13.VaTech 71.6 (BC, NC State)
14.UNC 71.4 (NC State, Wake)

Predictably, there's not a huge difference in conference schedules - most teams are within the standard 3 point handicap for home field advantage. That's why the league is always clustered between 5-3 and 3-5 records. Perhaps VT's lofty projection by the Sports Journal reflects the fact that they don't have to play the three top teams in the Atlantic Division.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2015 01:18 PM by ken d.)
07-16-2015 12:41 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(07-16-2015 12:41 PM)ken d Wrote:  This year's conference schedule is interesting. The four southern schools, Clemson, GT, FSU and Miami are playing a full round robin against each other - something that some of us have suggested as an annual thing to help our top teams' SOS come CFP selection time.

Also playing a four team round robin are Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse and Virginia.

Using average Sagarin power ratings over the last five years as a surrogate for 2015 strength for each team, I ranked the difficulty of each team's conference schedule. Keep in mind that the schedules of the better teams are hurt by the fact that they don't have to play themselves, while those of the weaker teams are more difficult because they don't get to play themselves.

4. Wake 75.1 (Duke, UNC)
7. Cuse 73.7 (UVa, Pitt)
7. Clemson (Ga Tech, Miami)
12.Duke 71.7 (Wake, BC)

Predictably, there's not a huge difference in conference schedules - most teams are within the standard 3 point handicap for home field advantage. That's why the league is always clustered between 5-3 and 3-5 records. Perhaps VT's lofty projection by the Sports Journal reflects the fact that they don't have to play the three top teams in the Atlantic Division.

It seems predicated on VT having an offense this year and Clemson not tossing away a game this year. Since it's been half a decade since VT had an offense, and nearly 30 years since Clemson did not have a WTF loss, that seems a tall order. However, I would not pick against Clemson in a game this year at this point.
07-16-2015 01:02 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-16-2015 01:02 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(07-16-2015 12:41 PM)ken d Wrote:  This year's conference schedule is interesting. The four southern schools, Clemson, GT, FSU and Miami are playing a full round robin against each other - something that some of us have suggested as an annual thing to help our top teams' SOS come CFP selection time.

4. Wake 75.1 (Duke, UNC)
7. Cuse 73.7 (UVa, Pitt)
12.Duke 71.7 (Wake, BC)

It seems predicated on VT having an offense this year and Clemson not tossing away a game this year. Since it's been half a decade since VT had an offense, and nearly 30 years since Clemson did not have a WTF loss, that seems a tall order. However, I would not pick against Clemson in a game this year at this point.

As long as the Tigers stay healthy.
07-16-2015 01:20 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

4. Wake 75.1 (Duke, UNC)
7. Cuse 73.7 (UVa, Pitt)
12.Duke 71.7 (Wake, BC)

Might want to check your math professor. The last WTF loss Clemson has was on 19 Nov 2011. The nine losses we have had since then are all to ranked opponents.
07-16-2015 01:49 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-16-2015 01:49 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

4. Wake 75.1 (Duke, UNC)
7. Cuse 73.7 (UVa, Pitt)
12.Duke 71.7 (Wake, BC)

Might want to check your math professor. The last WTF loss Clemson has was on 19 Nov 2011. The nine losses we have had since then are all to ranked opponents.

He must be counting the WAY Clemson lost to FSU last year...?
07-16-2015 01:53 PM
Hitman Hart Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Wake Forest
I would predict a 7-5 (3-5) season for NCSU and a 6-6 (3-5) season for UNC.

Clemson has went 11-2, 11-2 and 10-3 the past three seasons with bowl wins over notable programs such as LSU, Ohio State and Oklahoma (even though, they were little down)
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2015 02:03 PM by Hitman Hart.)
07-16-2015 02:01 PM
Kaplony Offline

(07-16-2015 01:53 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

4. Wake 75.1 (Duke, UNC)
7. Cuse 73.7 (UVa, Pitt)
12.Duke 71.7 (Wake, BC)

Who knows. Logic is a foreign concept to him at times so I suppose he could come to the conclusion that Clemson losing to a team that was ranked higher and clearly favored to win the game was a WTF loss.

To me a WTF loss is the type we suffered far too often under Bowden. Like beating Miami in Miami one week and losing to Duke the next. Losing to another ranked team, especially one ranked higher and favored to win, wouldn't be considered a WTF loss by anyone capable of logical thought.
07-16-2015 02:18 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-16-2015 02:01 PM)Hitman Hart Wrote:  I would predict a 7-5 (3-5) season for NCSU and a 6-6 (3-5) season for UNC.

Clemson has went 11-2, 11-2 and 10-3 the past three seasons with bowl wins over notable programs such as LSU, Ohio State and Oklahoma (even though, they were little down)

Which FCS opponent, NC A&T or Delaware, are you predicting Carolina will lose to?
07-16-2015 02:25 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(07-16-2015 01:53 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

4. Wake 75.1 (Duke, UNC)
7. Cuse 73.7 (UVa, Pitt)
12.Duke 71.7 (Wake, BC)

A WTF loss is a loss when you had the game won. It doesn't matter where the other team is ranked.

2013 is the only recent season I remember where Clemson did not do something that has caused it's own verb to be born "Clemsoning" which means to piss away a win in a strange and irritating manner or to entirely fail to show up for a game.

2014 against FSU was a WTF - Clemson was the better team, had the lead, should have won
2012 against FSU - Clemson had a 14 pt lead in the 2nd half and lost by 12
2011 West Virginia 70-33
2010 Auburn and UNC losses should not have occurred
2009 Loss to a 2-9 Maryland squad
2008 Loss to WF 12-7, giving up 9 points in the 4th
2007 Peach Bowl overtime loss to Auburn
2006 Music City Bowl loss to KY
2005 Loss to a 4-7 WF squad

Having watched these games and all the while pulling for Clemson to win, all I can say to these losses are WTF. NC State usually has one or two of these type games a year, but Clemson almost always has more talent than NC State and has had more talent than NC State since the late 1970's.

I don't understand the ultra-thin skin or the assertion that the last WTF was in November of 2011. Losing 37-13 to a Russell Wilson led NC State team, can't be as WTF as losing 70-33 to WVa the same year in a league embarrassing performance.
07-16-2015 08:24 PM
Kaplony Offline

Absolutely clueless. Losing to what ended up a 10-3 conference champion is more embarrassing than losing to an 8-5 team that finished 4th in their division?

Only you.

And despite whatever orifice you tried to pull that definition out of the term "Clemsoning" was coined when under Bowden we could do exactly what I talked about earlier.....beat Miami in Miami one week then lose to Duke the next. It was losing to opponents we had no business losing to, like that mediocre 2011 NC State team, that coined the erm no matter how you try to make it something else.
07-16-2015 09:53 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

Such a warped view of reality, 70-33 less embarrassing than 37-13. There must be something strange in the Savannah River after all.
07-16-2015 10:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.