07-16-2015 07:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

erice Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice

New Orleans Bowl
RE: Number 14
Wow. I guess our cost advantage over other privates has diminished more than I'd realized.

We're basically the same "estimated sticker price" as Princeton ($244K for Rice vs. $249K for Princeton) and are only $75 (no zeros) lower on average price for students receiving aid.

Granted, Princeton's at the lower end of the other privates near the top of the list (not by a lot)... But has our cost advantaged really evaporated entirely as this suggests?

I feel so out-of-touch.
07-16-2015 11:33 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

Lol @ these rankings.. Some real headscratchers in here... Bryant University ahead of Tufts, Northwestern, Middlebury, etc... Heck, Colorado School of Mines, which always does well in these "Bang for Buck" rankings, is ranked #134...

With that said, this will be my last post on the Parliament as I'm transferring to Maine Maritime. Rice wasn't a good enough school.
07-16-2015 11:42 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(07-16-2015 11:33 AM)erice Wrote:  Wow. I guess our cost advantage over other privates has diminished more than I'd realized.

We're basically the same "estimated sticker price" as Princeton ($244K for Rice vs. $249K for Princeton) and are only $75 (no zeros) lower on average price for students receiving aid.

Granted, Princeton's at the lower end of the other privates near the top of the list (not by a lot)... But has our cost advantaged really evaporated entirely as this suggests?

I feel so out-of-touch.

My understanding is that very few people pay the sticker price -- and for those few, the fact that Rice extracts as much money from them as Princeton does seems OK. In fact, for those applicants who are completely price-inelastic (and you'd be surprised how many there are), I'm glad that Rice is not leaving money on the table -- their tuition helps subsidize everything else :)

On the other data that the list gives:
- As noted, on "Estimated price for those who receive college aid", Rice and Princeton are indistinguishable: $91,326 to $91,381. While I wish the difference between Rice and Princeton were greater, the fact that this number is less than 3/8 of the sticker price seems good.

- Rice students on average graduate with more debt than Princeton students: $4,971 to $1,563. Again, I wish Rice had the edge here, but neither number seems like a very large debt figure for a top-flight undergraduate education. However, median debt might be a more revealing statistic than average debt.

One reason Princeton can do what it does is that its participation rate for alumni giving is simply phenomenal -- something like 50%. Rice is around 32% -- a respectable level, and a growing one (thank you, fellow alums!), but clearly there is room for further growth that will allow Rice to offer more aid to more students.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2015 12:04 PM by georgewebb.)
07-16-2015 12:02 PM
Advertisement

JOwl Offline
sum guy

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-16-2015 11:33 AM)erice Wrote:  Wow. I guess our cost advantage over other privates has diminished more than I'd realized.

I feel so out-of-touch.

Yeah, it has. But if I remember correctly, it was a conscious choice by Leebron and the Board to get us at or near parity with the Ivys that caused our cost advantage to evaporate (and not wild overspending or poor endowment returns or similar). I believe this was mid-late last decade, with the idea being that we were being perceived as lesser quality simply because we were charging less.

Now I wouldn't doubt that that's the case, but I miss the Rice that was Money Magazine's #1 "Best Value" school throughout the 90's. As a high school junior (sophomore?) in Tampa, that ranking was the only reason I put any focus on Rice. Looked into it, and it was just what I was looking for (great engineering program but a true university and not just a tech institute), then vistited and loved the campus and the culture.

Unfortunately, I believe that we lost the advantage of that ranking not because we raised our tuition, but because Money stopped publishing that list (or went under, I forget).
07-16-2015 12:14 PM
austinowl73 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice, the Phils

New Orleans Bowl
(07-16-2015 12:14 PM)JOwl Wrote:  

I feel so out-of-touch.

Yeah, it has. But if I remember correctly, it was a conscious choice by Leebron and the Board to get us at or near parity with the Ivys that caused our cost advantage to evaporate (and not wild overspending or poor endowment returns or similar). I believe this was mid-late last decade, with the idea being that we were being perceived as lesser quality simply because we were charging less.

Now I wouldn't doubt that that's the case, but I miss the Rice that was Money Magazine's #1 "Best Value" school throughout the 90's. As a high school junior (sophomore?) in Tampa, that ranking was the only reason I put any focus on Rice. Looked into it, and it was just what I was looking for (great engineering program but a true university and not just a tech institute), then vistited and loved the campus and the culture.

Unfortunately, I believe that we lost the advantage of that ranking not because we raised our tuition, but because Money stopped publishing that list (or went under, I forget).
Good to see another Florida Owl. I went to Rice from Hollywood, Fla.
07-16-2015 03:05 PM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
(07-16-2015 11:42 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  With that said, this will be my last post on the Parliament as I'm transferring to Maine Maritime. Rice wasn't a good enough school.

Yeah, but when was their last real signature win?
07-16-2015 04:35 PM
Advertisement

owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Number 14
(07-16-2015 04:35 PM)Orange County Owl Wrote:  
(07-16-2015 11:42 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  With that said, this will be my last post on the Parliament as I'm transferring to Maine Maritime. Rice wasn't a good enough school.

'e'll be back.
Maine Maritime holds NO safe harbor for "fair weather fans".
07-16-2015 07:42 PM
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(07-16-2015 07:42 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  

'e'll be back.

Maine Maritime Academy is a neighbor of ours in mid-coast Maine, about eight miles by water across upper Penobscot Bay, in the town of Castine. About 800 students, co-ed, uniforms optional. They have a small, but nice, New England-y campus, including an astroturf football/soccer/lacrosse field. The Mariners play Div III football; they're in the ECAC, same league as MIT. Big rival is the Coast Guard Academy, no surprise. MMA's biggest claim to fame is they have an enormous freighter ship they teach from, moored in the Bagaduce River. Castine is a really pretty, very old and historical Maine coastal town, scene of Saltonstall's Folly -- the Penobscot Expedition -- America's most ignominious defeat of the Revolutionary War and worst naval battle loss prior to Pearl Harbor. It was the most Tory settlement in the Colonies, to the extent that, after the battle of Yorktown, a goodly number of the town's inhabitant's jacked up their homes, loaded them onto barges, and floated them across the Gulf of Maine across Passamaquoddy Bay to the Canadian mainland, where they founded the town of St. Andrews, New Brunswick. They just took their ball and went home.

Am sure that's more than any one of you cared to know about the Maine Maritime Academy.
07-16-2015 08:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Number 14
(07-16-2015 08:32 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  
(07-16-2015 07:42 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  

'e'll be back.

Maine Maritime Academy is a neighbor of ours in mid-coast Maine, about eight miles by water across upper Penobscot Bay, in the town of Castine. About 800 students, co-ed, uniforms optional. They have a small, but nice, New England-y campus, including an astroturf football/soccer/lacrosse field. The Mariners play Div III football; they're in the ECAC, same league as MIT. Big rival is the Coast Guard Academy, no surprise. MMA's biggest claim to fame is they have an enormous freighter ship they teach from, moored in the Bagaduce River. Castine is a really pretty, very old and historical Maine coastal town, scene of Saltonstall's Folly -- the Penobscot Expedition -- America's most ignominious defeat of the Revolutionary War and worst naval battle loss prior to Pearl Harbor. It was the most Tory settlement in the Colonies, to the extent that, after the battle of Yorktown, a goodly number of the town's inhabitant's jacked up their homes, loaded them onto barges, and floated them across the Gulf of Maine across Passamaquoddy Bay to the Canadian mainland, where they founded the town of St. Andrews, New Brunswick. They just took their ball and went home.

Am sure that's more than any one of you cared to know about the Maine Maritime Academy.

You had me at "co-Ed, uniforms optional". Heading right on up...
07-16-2015 09:52 PM
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
(07-16-2015 03:05 PM)austinowl73 Wrote:  
(07-16-2015 12:14 PM)JOwl Wrote:  

I feel so out-of-touch.

Good to see another Florida Owl. I went to Rice from Hollywood, Fla.

A few hours north of you from Merritt Island. When I was at Rice, I met a number of people from the Miami area - it seems to be a part of florida we actively recruit in.
07-17-2015 06:38 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(07-16-2015 08:32 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  Maine Maritime Academy is a neighbor of ours in mid-coast Maine, about eight miles by water across upper Penobscot Bay, in the town of Castine. About 800 students, co-ed, uniforms optional. They have a small, but nice, New England-y campus, including an astroturf football/soccer/lacrosse field. The Mariners play Div III football; they're in the ECAC, same league as MIT. Big rival is the Coast Guard Academy, no surprise. MMA's biggest claim to fame is they have an enormous freighter ship they teach from, moored in the Bagaduce River. Castine is a really pretty, very old and historical Maine coastal town, scene of Saltonstall's Folly -- the Penobscot Expedition -- America's most ignominious defeat of the Revolutionary War and worst naval battle loss prior to Pearl Harbor. It was the most Tory settlement in the Colonies, to the extent that, after the battle of Yorktown, a goodly number of the town's inhabitant's jacked up their homes, loaded them onto barges, and floated them across the Gulf of Maine across Passamaquoddy Bay to the Canadian mainland, where they founded the town of St. Andrews, New Brunswick. They just took their ball and went home.

You had me at "co-ed, uniforms optional"

But on the rivalry thing, I always assumed that Maine Maritime's archival is Massachusetts Maritime, but perhaps not.
07-17-2015 08:45 AM
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

(07-17-2015 08:45 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(07-16-2015 08:32 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  Maine Maritime Academy is a neighbor of ours in mid-coast Maine, about eight miles by water across upper Penobscot Bay, in the town of Castine. About 800 students, co-ed, uniforms optional. They have a small, but nice, New England-y campus, including an astroturf football/soccer/lacrosse field. The Mariners play Div III football; they're in the ECAC, same league as MIT. Big rival is the Coast Guard Academy, no surprise. MMA's biggest claim to fame is they have an enormous freighter ship they teach from, moored in the Bagaduce River. Castine is a really pretty, very old and historical Maine coastal town, scene of Saltonstall's Folly -- the Penobscot Expedition -- America's most ignominious defeat of the Revolutionary War and worst naval battle loss prior to Pearl Harbor. It was the most Tory settlement in the Colonies, to the extent that, after the battle of Yorktown, a goodly number of the town's inhabitant's jacked up their homes, loaded them onto barges, and floated them across the Gulf of Maine across Passamaquoddy Bay to the Canadian mainland, where they founded the town of St. Andrews, New Brunswick. They just took their ball and went home.

You had me at "co-ed, uniforms optional"

But on the rivalry thing, I always assumed that Maine Maritime's archival is Massachusetts Maritime, but perhaps not.

Could be. This just came from a five-minute chat with a student at Dennett's Wharf.

BTW, George, your mastery of universal minutiae is beyond phenomenal.....
07-17-2015 07:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(07-17-2015 07:07 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  
(07-16-2015 08:32 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  Maine Maritime Academy is a neighbor of ours in mid-coast Maine, about eight miles by water across upper Penobscot Bay, in the town of Castine. About 800 students, co-ed, uniforms optional. They have a small, but nice, New England-y campus, including an astroturf football/soccer/lacrosse field. The Mariners play Div III football; they're in the ECAC, same league as MIT. Big rival is the Coast Guard Academy, no surprise. ...

... But on the rivalry thing, I always assumed that Maine Maritime's archival is Massachusetts Maritime, but perhaps not.

Could be. This just came from a five-minute chat with a student at Dennett's Wharf.

The main rivalry for the Maine Maritime Academy Mariners appears to be with Massachusetts Maritime Academy Buccaneers. They've competed in 54 games (Mass leads, 34-20) with the last 42 (since 1973) have been for the Admiral's Cup. Mass Maritime has a 25-17 edge in the Cup contests.

Maine has played the Coast Guard Academy in football only 12 times (5-7 record).

The Coast Guard Academy Bears claim the annual Secretaries' Cup game with the Merchant Marine Academy Mariners as their main rivalry contest. They have had 43 Cup meetings since 1949. The Merchant Marine Academy leads the series, 29–14.
07-17-2015 07:58 PM
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

(07-17-2015 07:58 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  
(07-17-2015 07:07 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  
(07-16-2015 08:32 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  Maine Maritime Academy is a neighbor of ours in mid-coast Maine, about eight miles by water across upper Penobscot Bay, in the town of Castine. About 800 students, co-ed, uniforms optional. They have a small, but nice, New England-y campus, including an astroturf football/soccer/lacrosse field. The Mariners play Div III football; they're in the ECAC, same league as MIT. Big rival is the Coast Guard Academy, no surprise. ...

... But on the rivalry thing, I always assumed that Maine Maritime's archival is Massachusetts Maritime, but perhaps not.

The main rivalry for the Maine Maritime Academy Mariners appears to be with Massachusetts Maritime Academy Buccaneers. They've competed in 54 games (Mass leads, 34-20) with the last 42 (since 1973) have been for the Admiral's Cup. Mass Maritime has a 25-17 edge in the Cup contests.

Maine has played the Coast Guard Academy in football only 12 times (5-7 record).

The Coast Guard Academy Bears claim the annual Secretaries' Cup game with the Merchant Marine Academy Mariners as their main rivalry contest. They have had 43 Cup meetings since 1949. The Merchant Marine Academy leads the series, 29–14.

As always, easy pickin's for Mike.....
07-18-2015 12:50 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(07-17-2015 07:07 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  BTW, George, your mastery of universal minutiae is beyond phenomenal.....

You are too kind! And I suppose everybody has to be good at something; whether that something is of any use is another matter...
07-18-2015 08:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.