WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Broncos on award watch lists.
ColinApocalypse Offline

I Root For: WMU
Broncos on award watch lists.
It's that time of the year where award committees are announcing their preseason watch lists. Broncos are well-represented so far.

Maxwell Award (outstanding collegiate player of the year) - RB Jarvion Franklin

Lou Groza Award (top placekicker) - Andrew Haldeman

Ray Guy Award (top punter) - J Schroeder

Bronko Nagurski Trophy (best defensive player) - CB Ronald Zamort

Outland Trophy (top interior lineman) - OG Jimmy Kristof

Lombardi Award (top lineman or linebacker) - OG Jimmy Kristof and OT Willie Beavers

Biletnikoff Award (top receiver) - WR Corey Davis and WR Daniel Braverman

Wuerffel Trophy (achievement in athletics, academics and community service) - QB Zach Terrell.....this award was won in 2009 by WMU QB Tim Hiller

Doak Walker Award (top running back) - Jarvion Franklin

Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award - Zach Terrell

Walter Camp Player of the Year Award
- Jarvion Franklin

Manning Award - Zach Terrell
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 02:29 PM by ColinApocalypse.)
07-15-2015 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ColinApocalypse Offline

RE: Broncos on award watch lists.
Jarvion Franklin named to Walter Camp Award watchlist. The ONLY player from the MAC named to the list, and one of only nine G5 players (50 total).

The G5 guys named to the watchlist for those interested:

Brandon Doughty, Senior, QB, Western Kentucky
Kenneth Farrow, Senior, RB, Houston
Jarvion Franklin, Sophomore, RB, Western Michigan
Rashard Higgins, Junior, WR, Colorado State*
Devon Johnson, Senior, RB, Marshall
Paxton Lynch, Junior, QB, Memphis
Elijah McGuire, Junior, RB, Louisiana
Keenan Reynolds, Senior, QB, Navy
Darian Thompson, Senior, DB, Boise State
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2015 11:12 AM by ColinApocalypse.)
07-17-2015 11:07 AM
ColinApocalypse Offline

Terrell named to Manning Award watchlist. One of only 30 QBs in the nation on the list. Only other MAC QBs are Buffalo's Joe Licata and UMass' Blake Frohnapfel.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 02:31 PM by ColinApocalypse.)
07-23-2015 02:31 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Ray Guy Award (top punter) - J Schroeder

I always chuckle at the Ray Guy Award, whenever I hear it. A dyslexic part of me always comes out thinking/hearing "Gay Rye"
07-23-2015 03:57 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
All this nationally-recognized talent, and the Fleckies are saying we're only going to be .500 or slightly above.

I say nine wins minimum or it's a disappointment-step backward.
07-24-2015 07:49 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2015 03:57 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  I always chuckle at the Ray Guy Award, whenever I hear it. A dyslexic part of me always comes out thinking/hearing "Gay Rye"

Well, as you have demonstrated, you do think with your member.
07-24-2015 07:50 AM
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(07-24-2015 07:49 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  All this nationally-recognized talent, and the Fleckies are saying we're only going to be .500 or slightly above.

Everyone knew what this 2015 schedule looked like 3 years ago. Nothing's changed since then.

Go ahead and expect 9 wins. The rest of us will remain realistic.
07-24-2015 08:41 AM
Tommyboy Offline
1st String

Re: RE: Broncos on award watch lists.
(07-24-2015 08:41 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  
(07-24-2015 07:49 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  All this nationally-recognized talent, and the Fleckies are saying we're only going to be .500 or slightly above.

Everyone knew what this 2015 schedule looked like 3 years ago. Nothing's changed since then.

Go ahead and expect 9 wins. The rest of us will remain realistic.

Twelve games, two will be losses, and the next three hardest are all on the road. The NIU and Toledo games were both winnable last year, but I cannot bet on winning either on the road this year. Anything from 6 wins to 8 would not surprise me (7 or 8 is my expectation). 9 is high mark with this year's schedule, but not impossible.
07-24-2015 11:08 AM
acer1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
One thing we seem to forget is how well our team did play on the road last year. I'm not as worried about the road games with this coaching staff. They have the team prepared and focused so in some respects I think the advantage is ours.

Always proud to be a Bronco, RTB.
07-24-2015 08:41 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

We won five road games last year.

We should have a better team this year.

We should be able to go to Georgia Southern, NIU, or Toledo, and win.
07-25-2015 06:35 AM
Cucumber Salad Offline
1st String

(07-25-2015 06:35 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  We won five road games last year.

Objectively, that makes sense. Psychologically, this staff are risk takers. But it is calculated. Their mindset is that they can recruit better than expected talent. Objectively, that has been accomplished and continues. That better talent competing for time and space has made competition more keen (Terrell as example) and raised the overall play of the team. Evidenced by last years record and the "watch list" populated with Broncos. But the fan base is predictably less confident because they are protecting their own egos, not say Fleck's. He doesn't need their mojo but they want his.
I suspect if the team achieves wins as objectively predicted those protecting their emotions will come out and claim victory pointing to past stated positions of support. If the Broncos defy the objective trend and stumble, the built in excuse of "the schedule" will be their prop of the moment but they will claim victory nonetheless. It is the typical "win win" bubble built by fans. 03-woohoo
07-25-2015 07:35 AM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

^ They're just along for the ride, not rowing.
07-25-2015 08:20 AM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

What I like is how quiet things are.

That tells me the guys have their heads down plotting their campaign.

This is the kind of schedule that requires keeping your wits about you for the long haul. Where is your team and your head at when the rubber meets the road at Toledo and NIU.

Conventional wisdom is one game at a time. This season will require a component of the long view, the jockey keeping the power under control for the stretch run.
07-25-2015 08:25 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Quiet?

In last month Fleck has been on Sirius XM, CBS Sports, and the "Huge Show," in The SPORTING NEWS, FREEP, and Detroit NEWS.

At least now we're hearing some about the PLAYERS with the "Watch Lists."
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2015 09:00 AM by MajorHoople.)
07-25-2015 08:55 AM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

Well quiet is a relative term.

Haven't heard like the national championship contender or we can beat Ohio State type stuff at all.

We've got some horses now and 3 years into the system. I expect a formidable team but we can't get sucked into burning all the emotion in the out of conference section of the schedule, however tempting that may be.

It's a long season. Got to play it just right.
07-25-2015 02:13 PM
The Colonel Offline
1st String

(07-25-2015 07:35 AM)Cucumber Salad Wrote:  
(07-25-2015 06:35 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  We won five road games last year.

Objectively, that makes sense. Psychologically, this staff are risk takers. But it is calculated. Their mindset is that they can recruit better than expected talent. Objectively, that has been accomplished and continues. That better talent competing for time and space has made competition more keen (Terrell as example) and raised the overall play of the team. Evidenced by last years record and the "watch list" populated with Broncos...I suspect if the team achieves wins as objectively predicted those protecting their emotions will come out and claim victory pointing to past stated positions of support. If the Broncos defy the objective trend and stumble, the built in excuse of "the schedule" will be their prop of the moment but they will claim victory nonetheless. It is the typical "win win" bubble built by fans. 03-woohoo

So, based on all of this...what exactly are you declaring the "objectively predicted" win total for this team should be? 9 wins? 10? 11 with a victory over MSU at Waldo?
07-25-2015 03:53 PM
Advertisement

Cucumber Salad Offline
1st String

9 wins was the objective prediction based on the prediction of incoming and production of maturing recruiting classes,road wins last year and the fact the Toledo and NIU games were winnable.
07-25-2015 05:59 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

It's "quiet" because MLive hasn't really done much coverage on the team beyond the easy stuff. What's new.
07-25-2015 06:26 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

(07-25-2015 06:26 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  It's "quiet" because MLive hasn't really done much coverage on the team beyond the easy stuff. What's new.

Jinx. Now Julie Mack is going to catch ZT walking out of Earth Fare with stolen organic snacks or something.
07-25-2015 10:13 PM
The Colonel Offline
1st String

(07-25-2015 05:59 PM)Cucumber Salad Wrote:  9 wins was the objective prediction based on the prediction of incoming and production of maturing recruiting classes,road wins last year and the fact the Toledo and NIU games were winnable.

When you say "was," I'm assuming you mean that's your objective prediction for the season. The Vegas sports books opened up with 8 as the over/under for Bronco wins this year.

I'm not entirely against you here, as I think this Bronco team is capable of winning nine if all goes well, but to say nine wins should be the barometer of success for this team this year is either picking and choosing - or, worse, ignoring - facts. Yes, this team brings back a lot of talent from last season and has recruited better. It's also fact that this isn't a senior-heavy team (the majority of the talent will be sophomores, redshirt freshmen, or true freshmen) and the schedule is indisputably much tougher than a season ago.

The combined 2014 records and winning percentages of all seven Bronco road opponents last season: 33-77 (.429) Look at the opponents of the five road games the Broncos won last season, and it's even uglier: 23-62 (.370). BG and CMU were good road wins, but there's no question last year's team had a relatively easy road schedule.

Now examine the 2014 records and winning percentages of all six Bronco road opponents this coming season: 51-27 (.654) That's including 2-10 EMU. Just looking at NIU, Toledo, and Georgia Southern, they were a combined 29-10 (.744) a season ago. Yes, NIU and Toledo were winnable games a season ago and are winnable this year if we play well, but to act like the expectation should be to win nine games minimum taking all of that into consideration is not realistic. And again, I don't disagree that the potential is there IF all goes well - I battled Doo here repeatedly a couple weeks back arguing for a higher ceiling for this team - but this team is most likely a year away from where it's a fair expectation level to reach that point.

And, should we go on to have a great year (nine wins plus), I doubt you'll see many - if any - here pounding there chests saying Oh yeah, I called that one back in the summer! I may have missed it, but other than you and Major I haven't seen anyone else saying nine wins should be the expectation this year.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2015 10:21 PM by The Colonel.)
07-25-2015 10:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.