Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Need Help From Charlotte Fans
Bookmark and Share
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
OT - Need Help From Charlotte Fans
I am coming to Charlotte this weekend for a bit of a reconnaissance mission if you will.

I currently work for a mortgage company here in va beach but am considering a move to a company getting ready to open a new headquarters in Indian Land SC.

The current company is in Ballantyne and we will be staying right near there.

This Thursday-Sunday we will be going out to eat, enjoy the nightlife and looking at nice neighborhoods/residential areas to buy a new house in should we move down here.

Can any of you fine gentleman reccomend some great restaurants, good nightlife (preferably with pool tables to shoot on as I'm not much of a "club" guy at 34, and decent neighborhoods to check out?

Probably won't be buying a 500k house right now but anywhere from 250-325 seems about right, especially considering what I hear about Charlotte being great for the money.

Right now a 300k house in vb doesn't get you jack squat. So any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
07-14-2015 07:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: OT - Need Help From Charlotte Fans
Well, there isn't much in the way of nightlife in Ballantyne. There are some nice restaurants but not many going out spots. Bradshaws social house is probably the best spot in south charlotte.

Most of the best restaurants in the city though are either uptown/near uptown or in the Southpark Mall area.

If you're looking for.something kinda unique, Cowfish is very good food. Good Food on Montfort is a other very good restaurant. Soul in Plaza Midwood also has a very unique menu with creating tapas and sushi dishes (but you better out your waiting pants on if you go there because they don't take reservations.

Bistro la Bon in Plaza Midwood is also very nice. It's a weird spot because it is in a ****** old shopping center, but you forget about that as soon as you get inside.

Soul and Bistro La Bon also have the added benefit of being next to Elizabeth billiards. It's sort of a hipster dive bar.

For reference, Plaza Midwood is about 1 mile due east of uptown Charlotte on Central ave. It looks a little run down on the main drag, but it's not really and the homes on the neighborhood side streets are very nice and expensive.

The Summit Room on east Blvd is also supposed to be a very good restaurant but I haven't been myself so I cant judge.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2015 07:55 PM by Niner National.)
07-14-2015 07:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Heisman

We are open to checking out anywhere in Charlotte, not just places around ballentyne.

Will have to try and check a few places out while I'm there. What would you say charlottes specialty is?

The Hampton roads area specialty is definitely seafood. Does Charlotte have anything that is a must have while down there?
07-14-2015 08:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-14-2015 08:20 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  We are open to checking out anywhere in Charlotte, not just places around ballentyne.

Will have to try and check a few places out while I'm there. What would you say charlottes specialty is?

The Hampton roads area specialty is definitely seafood. Does Charlotte have anything that is a must have while down there?

Nothing really IMO. BBQ is big anywhere in nc, and charlotte has some great spots, but it isn't historically known for it like some other areas of nc.

Charlotte's specialty is being remarkably livable and fun while being remarkably unremarkable.
07-14-2015 08:38 PM
Dowless Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
I bought a house in Indian Trail, NC a couple of years ago for $200k with about 2800 sq.ft. If you buy a house in NC, Union County taxes are better than Mecklenburg County. However, housing prices vary drastically depending upon what school district you are in. The same size and quality house in on district may be between $200k and $300k in one district and $500k and $600k in another. Indian Land has some decent prices and the taxes are low. You also get the low SC gas taxes....for now. I agree with Niner National. There is lots to do and many great places to eat, but nothing sticks out to me as the place to go.
07-15-2015 09:46 AM
Artifice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Beer
The area around Indian Land was one of the last areas developed before the Real Estate bubble burst. It was still in development when that happened. If you end up locating in that area, you will probably be able to find a fairly new home at a reasonable price, and its a decent area with low taxes.

As for night life/restaurants, Charlotte has a little of everything (including two very nice lakes at the north and S/SW ends of town), but doesn't excel at much, aside from choices. The city is so new that most of the night life is shiny and a bit antiseptic compared to a lot of other towns (just being honest). A good time can be had, but you have to bring a little of (the passion) yourself, because there aren't a lot of established meccas/traditions for anything. Just find whatever toots your horn and go at it.

If you have something specific you're looking for, we can definitely make some suggestions.
07-15-2015 10:41 AM
Advertisement

49erlew Offline
Special Teams

I'm a bit biased as a Charlotte art grad, but I'd recommend NoDa. It's the "arts district" so it has a more laid back, eclectic feel... but it's pretty much all bars, restaurants, and galleries. Friday night is (I think) a gallery crawl night, so the galleries will be open until about 9 if you or your wife are into that sort of thing.

Dinner at Cabo Fish Taco (nothing fancy but it's damned good food) followed by a few bars. Most of the bars in NoDa are a lot more laid back and not really "clubby." Evening Muse usually has live music, Growler's Pour House has some great brews. Cap it off with coffee and dessert at Amelie's nearby.
07-15-2015 11:51 AM
wh49er Offline
All American

If you are a beer guy check out some of the breweries (sugar creek, olde meck, triple c, wooden robot, sycamore, unknown, NoDA, and birdsong. In the immediate ballentyne check out midwood smokehouse for some decent BBQ and bad daddy's burgers.
07-15-2015 12:11 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-15-2015 11:51 AM)49erlew Wrote:  I'm a bit biased as a Charlotte art grad, but I'd recommend NoDa. It's the "arts district" so it has a more laid back, eclectic feel... but it's pretty much all bars, restaurants, and galleries. Friday night is (I think) a gallery crawl night, so the galleries will be open until about 9 if you or your wife are into that sort of thing.

Dinner at Cabo Fish Taco (nothing fancy but it's damned good food) followed by a few bars. Most of the bars in NoDa are a lot more laid back and not really "clubby." Evening Muse usually has live music, Growler's Pour House has some great brews. Cap it off with coffee and dessert at Amelie's nearby.
I could be wrong, but I don't think there are really any galleries in NoDa these days. Maybe a couple small ones, but most of them have been pushed out by higher rents and bars.

They still do the crawls on Fridays, it just seems like things are more on the street than inside buildings.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2015 12:30 PM by Niner National.)
07-15-2015 12:29 PM
Heisman

Definitely looking right around 300k as my girlfriend and I are not married and not interested in getting a "mini mansion", especially since neither of us wants to have children anytime soon.

So school districts are also not very important. The most bang for the buck on the south side of Charlotte is exactly what we are looking for.

To be honest Norfolk and Charlotte sound very similar. The nightlife in both can be fun, but neither is all that distinctive as far as originality.

I'll just yelp a few spots on the south side to figure out where we should go out at :)

If you guys think of any must see places or restaurants, definitely let me know. Thanks!
07-15-2015 02:06 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

My recommendation if you are in the 300k range would be to look for homes in the city. Maybe around Madison Park. It's a nice area and most of it is in a good school district if that matters in the future.

The reverse commute to Ballantyne / Indian Land is fairly easy. My girlfriend reverse commutes from Uptown to Ballantyne every day. Takes her about 20 minutes I believe.

If you want to do anything for entertainment while you are here, The U.S. National Whitewater Center is one thing that is truly unique in Charlotte. It is the world's largest and longest artificial whitewater river. It is the official training facility for U.S. whitewater athletes. A day pass costs like $55 and includes rafting, rock wall climbing, mountain bike rentals, a zip line, obstacle courses, and kayak/paddleboard rentals for flatwater use on the real river adjacent to the facility.
07-15-2015 02:42 PM
Advertisement

49erlew Offline
Special Teams

(07-15-2015 12:29 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
(07-15-2015 11:51 AM)49erlew Wrote:  I'm a bit biased as a Charlotte art grad, but I'd recommend NoDa. It's the "arts district" so it has a more laid back, eclectic feel... but it's pretty much all bars, restaurants, and galleries. Friday night is (I think) a gallery crawl night, so the galleries will be open until about 9 if you or your wife are into that sort of thing.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there are really any galleries in NoDa these days. Maybe a couple small ones, but most of them have been pushed out by higher rents and bars.

They still do the crawls on Fridays, it just seems like things are more on the street than inside buildings.

If that's true, then I can't say as I'm surprised. Kind of saw that coming.

I was down there a few weekends ago, last time I was in town. Still seemed like the same fantastic neighborhood that I loved so much when I was in school... until I turned the corner and saw some new luxury apartments coming in.
07-16-2015 02:09 PM
chidave Offline
Special Teams

I miss Fat City, that was a fun little bar in NoDa, killer food too.
07-16-2015 02:52 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-16-2015 02:09 PM)49erlew Wrote:  

I was down there a few weekends ago, last time I was in town. Still seemed like the same fantastic neighborhood that I loved so much when I was in school... until I turned the corner and saw some new luxury apartments coming in.
There are 2 other enormous mixed use projects coming to the hood too. One across the tracks on 36th street and one up by the concrete mixing plant on Craighead
07-16-2015 05:03 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
If you don't need a large home and want something with a little character you can try areas around Dilworth, South End, Eastover and Cotswold. These areas are just south of Uptown and north of South Park so they're close to everything and you can buy a small home that won't take a hit on resale. Probably could even keep as an investment property if you want. Myers Park is near by which is old blue-blood money but a beautiful area to walk/jog through.

These areas are congested but you'd have a "reverse" commute to Ballantyne and Indian Land. I'd be weary of areas between Cotswold and Matthews though, and anything east of Rt 74 / Independence Ave. Lots of neat little restaurants around Dilworth. Breweries and "pub" types of joints with pool around South End.

Ballantyne and the areas around 485 are more family / suburb oriented. Great if you want more land, more house and good schools (Union County and southern Mecklenburg, NOT Lancaster County SC) but only exciting for older married folks with kids. I live in Fort Mill, SC which is "quaint" for families but not many options for a nightlife.

BTW- let me know up where you end up moving so I can egg your house. If you turn out to also be a Redskins fan I might use bricks. 03-nutkick
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2015 06:04 PM by 2Buck.)
07-16-2015 06:01 PM
wh49er Offline
All American

(07-16-2015 02:09 PM)49erlew Wrote:  

There are still a decent amount in the area they have just had to move closer to the hood now that Davidson street is prime real estate.
07-16-2015 06:17 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

Honestly, we are pretty much open to moving anywhere down here.

Probably looking for a house more than a townhome but less land would be just fine with me.

Our company is in ballantyne right now but is opening a brand new branch on the other side of the NC/SC border so we will be working in SC in very short order.

So I'm not sure living in "uptown" (I've already learned not to call it downtown Charlotte) is going to work once we are working down there.

I'm looking at Indian land and fort mill and it looks like there is some great value to be had in some of the unfinished developments that are still unfilled from the housing bubble burst.

How bad is traffic around ballantyne normally?

Our hotel is a straight shot down Johnston rd to ballantyne business park but I noticed that 485 looked really congested when I was driving over it.

Is that a normal thing? How bad does traffic get in this area?

To be honest, there isn't much worse than trying to get through the hampton roads bridge tunnel after the navy base lets out so I don't think traffic should be a huge concern.

Thanks for all the help guys. I also found out the Norfolk Tides are in town this weekend so I will be checking out the Knights stadium and going to the game tomorrow.

Should be fun!
07-16-2015 10:22 PM
Heisman

Btw, mellow mushroom and burger 21 are the two stops we've made so far and they were both amazing.

We are going to try bentley's on 27th tomorrow night. I've heard I need to dress up, so we will see how that goes ha
07-16-2015 10:31 PM
Artifice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Beer
The traffic heading south on Johnston road over 485 and into Ballentyne in the evening rush hour is amongst the worst in the city. I lived in that area for several years. Do not miss it. It's a nice area, but not worth the hassle IMO.

You may be going against traffic, which would make it more tolerable.
07-16-2015 11:55 PM
919R Offline
Special Teams

(07-16-2015 06:01 PM)2Buck Wrote:  If you don't need a large home and want something with a little character you can try areas around Dilworth, South End, Eastover and Cotswold. These areas are just south of Uptown and north of South Park so they're close to everything and you can buy a small home that won't take a hit on resale. Probably could even keep as an investment property if you want. Myers Park is near by which is old blue-blood money but a beautiful area to walk/jog through.

These areas are congested but you'd have a "reverse" commute to Ballantyne and Indian Land. I'd be weary of areas between Cotswold and Matthews though, and anything east of Rt 74 / Independence Ave. Lots of neat little restaurants around Dilworth. Breweries and "pub" types of joints with pool around South End.

Ballantyne and the areas around 485 are more family / suburb oriented. Great if you want more land, more house and good schools (Union County and southern Mecklenburg, NOT Lancaster County SC) but only exciting for older married folks with kids. I live in Fort Mill, SC which is "quaint" for families but not many options for a nightlife.

BTW- let me know up where you end up moving so I can egg your house. If you turn out to also be a Redskins fan I might use bricks. 03-nutkick

??? Hwy. 74 runs east/west.
07-17-2015 09:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.