Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is ESPN A Giant Bubble About To Burst?
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
Is ESPN A Giant Bubble About To Burst?
QUOTE:
...if cord cutting continues to accelerate, pretty soon ESPN is going to be the biggest media bubble since AOL merged with Time Warner.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footbal...rst-071215

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2015 11:25 AM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
07-13-2015 11:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
RE: Is ESPN A Giant Bubble About To Burst?
Couldnt happen to a more deserving organization. They have way too much influence on college sports.
07-13-2015 11:48 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
They have a business model, that is going to fall apart. Will it be a slow leak that lets them build a new model that works or a massive one? Who really knows. No doubt though the bleeding is just starting and not ending.
07-13-2015 11:50 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(07-13-2015 11:25 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  QUOTE:
...if cord cutting continues to accelerate, pretty soon ESPN is going to be the biggest media bubble since AOL merged with Time Warner.

A FOX article?03-lmfao
07-13-2015 11:52 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:A FOX article?

Yeah -- I wouldn't take it as the gospel truth for "insight". :)

I think ESPN having so many channels and such + cable subscriptions falling = necessary adjustments for ANY big cable station. So there is a threatening aspect to them taking a solid hit for a while or something -- but it's not going to go away, that's Ridiculous. I would see it as more of a moment of transition to shift things to Internet-based streaming and being in line with things like Roku and other non-cable services, and not just by ESPN3 (and expanding it with more commercials, etc).

Just an adjustment period. They may have invested too much in expansion without factoring in (enough) the cable TV shift that will occur.
07-13-2015 11:57 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I think the thing as well, you will see ESPN start looking at that Sling thing and pull out of it if too many more folks take advantage of it.

Also- while Travis is writing it for Fox- does he think for a second that it won't impact FS1?
07-13-2015 12:05 PM
Advertisement

BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
If it all comes to fruition, it couldn't happen to a nicer company. Karma.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2015 12:45 PM by BIgCatonProwl.)
07-13-2015 12:19 PM
lance99 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron Zips
Re: RE: Is ESPN A Giant Bubble About To Burst?

It is like I said in the other thread. ESPN overplayed their hand as far as content and hoping that the cable/satellite companies will go for $10/subscriber when the contracts come up for renewal.

However I am questioning the article because I know TNT gets more per sub.
07-13-2015 12:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(07-13-2015 12:05 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I think the thing as well, you will see ESPN start looking at that Sling thing and pull out of it if too many more folks take advantage of it.

Also- while Travis is writing it for Fox- does he think for a second that it won't impact FS1?

Clay Travis is not loyal to Fox Sports. He is loyal to Clay Travis and probably to his audience, and emotionally invested in the SEC and Tennessee.

(Of course this has implications for FS1.)
07-13-2015 12:40 PM
johnbragg Offline

(07-13-2015 12:28 PM)lance99 Wrote:  

It is like I said in the other thread. ESPN overplayed their hand as far as content and hoping that the cable/satellite companies will go for $10/subscriber when the contracts come up for renewal.

Travis is citing SNL Kagan (who I only know of because Travis cites their numbers). What's your source?
07-13-2015 12:42 PM
lance99 Offline
1st String

(07-13-2015 12:42 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(07-13-2015 12:28 PM)lance99 Wrote:  

Travis is citing SNL Kagan (who I only know of because Travis cites their numbers). What's your source?
I been trying to remember that, I know its more than what is stated.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk
07-13-2015 12:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lance99 Offline
1st String

I want to say that it was 4.50, I will have to double check that will I get back home :)
07-13-2015 12:49 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(07-13-2015 12:05 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I think the thing as well, you will see ESPN start looking at that Sling thing and pull out of it if too many more folks take advantage of it.

The collapse of the everyone-pays-for-the-bundle model would hurt FS1 more than ESPN.

ESPN has a large portfolio of live sports rights that fans will pay to see. FS1, unless it acquires a lot more than it has now, doesn't. Sports fans who decide they're only willing to pay X dollars, total, for the channels they choose to buy are going to have ESPN much higher on their priority list than FS1.
07-13-2015 12:56 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(07-13-2015 12:56 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

The collapse of the everyone-pays-for-the-bundle model would hurt FS1 more than ESPN.

ESPN has a large portfolio of live sports rights that fans will pay to see. FS1, unless it acquires a lot more than it has now, doesn't. Sports fans who decide they're only willing to pay X dollars, total, for the channels they choose to buy are going to have ESPN much higher on their priority list than FS1.

Well, FS1 has 2 things that could make it viable... UFC and soccer. And to a degree NASCAR.
07-13-2015 01:07 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
QUOTE:

"According to these new Nielsen figures, ESPN has lost an average of 300,000 subscribers per month between February and July. For ESPN and ESPN2 — whose subscriber figures are practically identical — 300,000 subscribers adds up to $2,232,000 in carriage fees.
If we presume these losses are constant, ESPN collected $33,484,000 less in carriage fees than they would have had they kept all of their subscribers between February and July."

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/2015/...m-at-espn/

This article compliments the other article. Wall Street Analysts reporting trouble at ESPN too. If ESPN does go into red ink and keeps losing subscribers than wouldn't the bubble-priced Pro Sports and P5 contracts have to be re-negotiated to a lower payout OR raising the price to subscribers?

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2015 01:18 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
07-13-2015 01:14 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
Overreaction. ESPN won't lose. Sports won't lose.

Which cable channels get the best ratings? Despite Breaking Bad and the Christmas and Valentines Movie Specials, AMC and Lifetime don't get the ratings. ESPN is delivering stellar ratings. The CFP broke all-time records - despite losing cord-cutters.

While there is definitely a shift to more channel-specific and on demand programming - it won't be ESPN or sports that suffer; it will be Lifetime and AMC and the bunch of niche/crap channels that ride the coattails of ESPN, TNT, TBS, USA, Disney, and Fox News.

The subscription fees for the top 10 channels comes out at a total of about $15. Fifteen dollars! That means we're paying for $50-75 for crap that we don't watch.

Of course subscription fees matter and ESPN will continue to tighten the belt, but even if ESPN2 and ESPNU disappear completely, ESPN has ABC as an outlet, plus ESPN3 and WatchESPN. But the more likely scenario is that ESPN (and TNT, Fox News, etc.) actually increase their share of the money that subscribers pay.

As ESPN continues to own the majority of quality live sports programming, they will continue to drive the bus - whether its through subscriptions, ABC, online or on demand.

In the end, if there is a complete breakdown in the subscription model, there will be millions ready to pay $30 per month for ESPN/2/U. Sign me up! The only reason that I, and most sports fans, pay $100 per month right now is to get ESPN/2! Kids shows? Women's shows? Netflix and PBS have you covered.
07-13-2015 01:18 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(07-13-2015 01:07 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

Well, FS1 has 2 things that could make it viable... UFC and soccer. And to a degree NASCAR.

Those make FS1 a niche channel. FS1 and FS2 together might have one-tenth as many a la carte subscriptions as the ESPN channels, at one-fifth the monthly price.

To get more a la carte subscriptions and/or command a higher price, FS1 might have to combine with the sports properties of another company (e.g. Turner), in a company merger, a sale of assets, or just an agreement to sell the channels together as a bundle.
07-13-2015 01:19 PM
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
Here another article Washington Post, complimenting this as well about Comcast and cable cord cutting

Comcast Article
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2015 01:21 PM by BIgCatonProwl.)
07-13-2015 01:20 PM
johnbragg Offline

And one other property with a sizable, affluent fanbase whose name escapes me at the moment...

Also a MUCH lower subscriber cost than ESPN. That MAY mean that Fox Sports weathers a storm better than ESPN--FS1 goes from $90M a month to $70M a month, while ESPN goes from er, 6*$90M=$540M a month to $420M a month.

Or it may mean that the FS1 project loses value to the Fox mothership--the appeal of building an ESPN competitor wanes if ESPN is bleeding money on long-term sports-rights contracts that are no longer supported by cable-subscription-dollars.
07-13-2015 01:28 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(07-13-2015 01:28 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

And one other property with a sizable, affluent fanbase whose name escapes me at the moment...

Also a MUCH lower subscriber cost than ESPN. That MAY mean that Fox Sports weathers a storm better than ESPN--FS1 goes from $90M a month to $70M a month, while ESPN goes from er, 6*$90M=$540M a month to $420M a month.

Or it may mean that the FS1 project loses value to the Fox mothership--the appeal of building an ESPN competitor wanes if ESPN is bleeding money on long-term sports-rights contracts that are no longer supported by cable-subscription-dollars.

Yes golf, but since all Fox has is the US Open, a lot of that is aired I'm assuming by contract on Fox Network.

Great point on the possible long term impact for FS1. Would be tough for them for instance to add the Big Ten, and then try to increase their subscriber rate fees in this climate.
07-13-2015 01:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.