Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

akron baseball cut
underthestands Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kent State
akron baseball cut
Just saw on fox 8 news akron baseball team is being cut. Hopefully Coach Rem can find another job.
07-10-2015 03:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: akron baseball cut
I thought MAC men's teams had to have football, basketball and baseball. Things must be changing.
07-10-2015 08:59 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
Next they will cut golf. Trying to figure out how to win the wagon wheel.
07-10-2015 10:39 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
The cuts AKron are making are huge and they are playing several shell games with it.

They say no tuition increases so they are using a large fee per credit hour to get around it.

Perhaps most telling is that even if they do everything they will still be 10 million short because that money is to be made up on increased enrollment but Akron has had decreasing enrollment for years and now with the economy doing slightly better it will not get the huge jump that many universities had the previous 5 years or so.

Akron is the poster child of a university that thinks that if you make a big enough splash that it can make up a huge amount of debt. Unfortunately for Akron it appears that the gambit is not paying off.

I think Kent is trying to make a splash with all of its improvements but I don't think Kent is putting itself anywhere near as much in debt to do it like Akron did. I think that is why it has been slightly slower to get these improvements online (and for some of us in the past it would irritate us greatly).

I understand Kent is now trying to do a campaign to increase its endowment (to increase scholarships, faculty, and other things) with lofty goal of 500 million though that would take a while if they try to do it. OU did something like that recently too.
07-11-2015 03:43 AM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
My girlfriend (an Akron alum) received an email from the UoA yesterday asking for donations. In the email it stated that they're 60 million dollars in debt. I'm sure there are several things behind that 60 million but it is interesting that they spent 61.5 million on that football stadium...
07-11-2015 03:58 PM
Reno79 Offline
Special Teams

Does Akron have any talent that would look good in a KSU uniform?
07-12-2015 11:26 PM
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
Anyone who goes to acorn should be in quarantine. Keep them away from our campus.
07-13-2015 10:08 AM
luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
(07-12-2015 11:26 PM)Reno79 Wrote:  Does Akron have any talent that would look good in a KSU uniform?

if they were any good , they would have come to Kent in the first place!
07-14-2015 09:06 AM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
07-14-2015 09:18 PM
KSU 93 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kent State Univ
I think Akron is obviously in a bad spot. But, they can be a head of us if they drop a level. Eventually we will come to our senses and drop a level. Drop a level and bring back hockey or another sport that can generate revenue.
07-14-2015 10:35 PM
All American

Not unusual to see a faculty senate that would rather see sports taken down a peg.

Unfortunately going down a level won't likely help. Geography in FCS is worse for Akron as the MAC is already a convenient group to work with and the reduced sources of income likely would cost more than the scholarship savings. On top of that it does not address the attendance problem or get rid of their debt on the stadium. If anything it makes it worse.

Looking at tehir history it looks like this is not the first time Akron has put itself in a bad situation due to their own overreach.
07-14-2015 10:37 PM
Advertisement

AlphaFlash Offline
All American

More than just baseball. How do they expect to get away with this? Since this project balances on a projected increase of future enrollment, an even better question: how will they increase enrollment when they raise tuition after the state freezes it for 2 years?
Yea, that will drive undergrad recruiting. Their problems are deeper than sports.
http://fox8.com/2015/07/14/university-of...gers-many/
07-15-2015 10:03 AM
All American

(07-15-2015 10:03 AM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  More than just baseball. How do they expect to get away with this? Since this project balances on a projected increase of future enrollment, an even better question: how will they increase enrollment when they raise tuition after the state freezes it for 2 years?
Yea, that will drive undergrad recruiting. Their problems are deeper than sports.
http://fox8.com/2015/07/14/university-of...gers-many/

They were unable to raise enrollment when they were trying to tell everybody everything was great.

They have some serious problems right now.
07-15-2015 09:32 PM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
One of Akrons INF's is transferring to Kent.
07-17-2015 02:44 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
One less on the student enrollment scale.
07-17-2015 05:01 PM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

You know, I like beating Akron on the court/field. But what is happening to this campus is neither funny or enjoyable. This is poor policy enacted by administration over the years. It is a detriment to the entire region. I hope all schools in our state learn from this. While I don't think KSU made nearly the same amount of mistakes as Akron over the years, still makes me nervous.
07-28-2015 07:36 AM
Advertisement

fallsdog Offline
All American

(07-28-2015 07:36 AM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  You know, I like beating Akron on the court/field. But what is happening to this campus is neither funny or enjoyable. This is poor policy enacted by administration over the years. It is a detriment to the entire region. I hope all schools in our state learn from this. While I don't think KSU made nearly the same amount of mistakes as Akron over the years, still makes me nervous.

+3
07-28-2015 07:50 AM
All American

It gets even worse for Akron. They fired all the staff at EJ Thomas Hall and it is unknown how the scheduled performances will go on. In addition they have closed down their own publishing entity. That is not good for its academic staff as that is the place they usually go to get published which is something higher level profs try to do. It will hurt them in finding quality hires if tehy are remotely interested in publishing research. It is also embarrassing for a high research institution.

On a positive note for Kent we just won another award for being among the best universities to work for.
07-29-2015 09:48 PM
flash77 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-29-2015 09:48 PM)Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  It gets even worse for Akron. They fired all the staff at EJ Thomas Hall and it is unknown how the scheduled performances will go on. In addition they have closed down their own publishing entity. That is not good for its academic staff as that is the place they usually go to get published which is something higher level profs try to do. It will hurt them in finding quality hires if tehy are remotely interested in publishing research. It is also embarrassing for a high research institution.

On a positive note for Kent we just won another award for being among the best universities to work for.

I was taught it is "Ready, Aim, Shoot," not "Ready, Shoot, Aim."
07-30-2015 07:39 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Great point. It sounds like the execution of this layoff was pathetic.
07-30-2015 06:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.