Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Seth Davis on Austin and DJ...interesting
Bookmark and Share
Merrick Offline
Asst. Coach

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Seth Davis on Austin and DJ...interesting
This was posted on Seth's Facebook, so I don't believe it to be something that can't be posted in its entirety.

Here goes...

Quote:I have just one thought to offer on the DeAndre Jordan saga. It's one thing to have second thoughts, to change your mind at a very late stage of the process. The fact that Jordan didn't have the decency to call Mark Cuban directly or, even better, face him like a man and explain what was happening, is highly disappointing.

A similar situation developed at Memphis, where the team's best player, Austin Nichols, couldn't even send his own email to the school requesting a transfer. His father sent the email instead. Is it too much to ask a young man to walk into the coach's office, sit across from him, and deliver the bad news himself? At the risk in indulging in lazy analysis, I believe these two cases speak to the disquieting attitudes about communication that have evolved in this electronic age.

Things like email and texts are supposed to make it easier for us to communicate, yet too often we hide behind those mediums to avoid real communication -- and real accountability. DeAndre Jordan has every right to decide in the end to play for the Clippers, just as Austin Nichols has every right to play somewhere besides Memphis.

It is quite unfortunate, however, that both of them chose to go about their business in such an unprofessional and, frankly, cowardly way. Smh.
07-10-2015 02:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Seth Davis on Austin and DJ...interesting
According to HoopDreams, Seth Davis is being whiny.
07-10-2015 02:30 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
Seth didn't get the word about June 22. Pookie wishes he had just skipped his meeting.
07-10-2015 02:38 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-10-2015 02:38 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  Seth didn't get the word about June 22...

Parrish said yesterday that both 'sides' have confirmed that that meeting took place.
07-10-2015 02:47 PM
RheaJ Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHIS, DUH
At least we're still all in on throwing all the blame on the players. Amazing how Austin goes from hero to zero in the eyes of the Pastnerites.
07-10-2015 02:48 PM
Merrick Offline
Asst. Coach

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(07-10-2015 02:48 PM)RheaJ Wrote:  At least we're still all in on throwing all the blame on the players. Amazing how Austin goes from hero to zero in the eyes of the Pastnerites.

That's a comment meant just to stir 'ish... 03-banghead

You must not have read the previous 2,000 posts on this subject and our coach.
07-10-2015 02:54 PM
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
(07-10-2015 02:30 PM)Stammers Wrote:  According to HoopDreams, Seth Davis is being whiny.

They met face to face on June 22, amigo.
07-10-2015 02:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stammers Offline
Legend

(07-10-2015 02:48 PM)RheaJ Wrote:  At least we're still all in on throwing all the blame on the players. Amazing how Austin goes from hero to zero in the eyes of the Pastnerites.

Incredible.
07-10-2015 02:58 PM
RheaJ Offline
Banned

(07-10-2015 02:54 PM)Merrick Wrote:  

That's a comment meant just to stir 'ish... 03-banghead

You must not have read the previous 2,000 posts on this subject and our coach.

Awww, I'm sorry, I sure haven't read those posts. Can you forward those to me please?

I guess the part about AN is actually positive and commending and I'm just reading it wrong...

The point is, people are 'mad' at AN b/c of the timing, how he handled it, etc., when the blame should go to the HC. But, as with previous disgruntled players, it's all the player's fault. Doesn't make much sense to me.
07-10-2015 03:09 PM
HoopDreams Offline

So, they are also admitting an email was sent as well declaring the intent to transfer?

So Pasnter was informed via email AND in the June 22 meeting.

And yet he was still holding the release over Austin's head angling to strong-arm another meeting?

Wow
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 03:12 PM by HoopDreams.)
07-10-2015 03:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RheaJ Offline
Banned

(07-10-2015 03:11 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  So, they are also admitting an email was sent as well declaring the intent to transfer?

And yet he was still holding the release over Austin's head angling to strong-arm another meeting?

Wow

Yep, Austin is the worst person ever and so is his Dad. Pastner4Lyfe
07-10-2015 03:22 PM
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

(07-10-2015 03:11 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  So, they are also admitting an email was sent as well declaring the intent to transfer?

Wow

Try to follow along.

- Email sent by AN's dad
- One on one meeting with Pastner, where AN tells him he is excited about the upcoming season
- Meeting with dad where AN keeps his head buried in a ball cap and says nothing or next to nothing

Quote:And yet he was still holding the release over Austin's head angling to strong-arm another meeting?

I'm sure what happens every single time is that when a player wants to transfer, that the coach/program is told by that player in a one on one meeting, that they are leaving, or the coach/program requests a meeting. At that time the player meets with the program and the transfer is processed.

What doesn't happen EVER is where a fan fights tooth and nail to say that there is nothing wrong with a player not being a man and agreeing to meet with the coach. What doesn't happen ever is where a fan fights tooth and nail against an actual meeting.
07-10-2015 03:22 PM
RheaJ Offline
Banned

Fans shouldn't fight buddy.
07-10-2015 03:23 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(07-10-2015 03:22 PM)RheaJ Wrote:  

Wow

Yep, Austin is the worst person ever and so is his Dad. Pastner4Lyfe

Say anything that isn't completely negative towards Pastner and stand back and admire their handiwork.

#pastnerisgod
#pastneristhenextcoachk
#pastnercandonowrong
#throwtheplayersunderthebus
07-10-2015 03:24 PM
HoopDreams Offline

(07-10-2015 03:22 PM)Stammers Wrote:  

Wow

Try to follow along.

- Email sent by AN's dad
- One on one meeting with Pastner, where AN tells him he is excited about the upcoming season
- Meeting with dad where AN keeps his head buried in a ball cap and says nothing or next to nothing

Quote:And yet he was still holding the release over Austin's head angling to strong-arm another meeting?

I'm sure what happens every single time is that when a player wants to transfer, that the coach/program is told by that player in a one on one meeting, that they are leaving, or the coach/program requests a meeting. At that time the player meets with the program and the transfer is processed.

What doesn't happen EVER is where a fan fights tooth and nail to say that there is nothing wrong with a player not being a man and agreeing to meet with the coach. What doesn't happen ever is where a fan fights tooth and nail against an actual meeting.

Link - and one not from 247 and not quoting Pastner or where the journalist is obviously paraphrasing Pastner.

Legitimate media source.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 03:30 PM by HoopDreams.)
07-10-2015 03:29 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Millennials are such *******
07-10-2015 03:39 PM
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Seth is right...cowardly move.

And all the protective spin trying to turn this into a proper move just misunderstood will not change that.
07-10-2015 03:42 PM
MuchLuck Offline
1st String

I Root For: UM
(07-10-2015 03:42 PM)Mimi Wrote:  Seth is right...cowardly move.

And all the protective spin trying to turn this into a proper move just misunderstood will not change that.

Any chink in the armor will bring out the hope that Memphis will fall from the elite to those envious of their place. The constant negative nagging didn't start with Pastner and it won't end with Austin.
07-10-2015 03:50 PM
RheaJ Offline
Banned

(07-10-2015 03:50 PM)MuchLuck Wrote:  

Any chink in the armor will bring out the hope that Memphis will fall from the elite to those envious of their place. The constant negative nagging didn't start with Pastner and it won't end with Austin.

That is Gilbert Grape material.
07-10-2015 04:01 PM
MuchLuck Offline
1st String

I Root For: UM
(07-10-2015 04:01 PM)RheaJ Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 03:50 PM)MuchLuck Wrote:  

That is Gilbert Grape material.

I could imagine Napoleon Dynamite responding like that.
07-10-2015 04:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.