UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BREAKING: Potential Big 12 Expansion Plans Could Include UCF, Houston, Cincinnati
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
BREAKING: Potential Big 12 Expansion Plans Could Include UCF, Houston, Cincinnati
07-10-2015 07:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: BREAKING: Potential Big 12 Expansion Plans Could Include UCF, Houston, Cincinnati
Not really breaking news. Been reading about it for weeks on other message boards. Another clickbait website.
07-10-2015 07:59 AM
rook360 Offline
All American

RE: BREAKING: Potential Big 12 Expansion Plans Could Include UCF, Houston, Cincinnati
Wow...well the dust tastes terrible right now.
07-10-2015 08:03 AM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-10-2015 07:59 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Not really breaking news. Been reading about it for weeks on other messa. boards. Another clickbait website.

Yep...just more supposed insider detail. I hear Memphis is trying to get into the mix as well with new facilities being talked about. Kinda bad time for BB and FB going in opposite directions...
07-10-2015 08:37 AM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
We sign Clark instead of McGee at that time and you Would probably hear UAB in the discussion.
07-10-2015 08:43 AM
Advertisement

58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(07-10-2015 08:43 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  We sign Clark instead of McGee at that time and you Would probably hear UAB in the discussion.

Doubt we (the fan/alumni base) would have reacted well to hiring a South Alabama assistant.

Now, if Frank Bromberg hadn't rolled over to let Junior onto the Board in 2000 (or Siegelman hadn't appointed that sack of **** - curious how Siegelman went to prison for appointing Scrushy to a totally useless medical board yet no one's ever looked into the Bryant annointment, is it not?) UAB would not be "in the discussion." UAB would be in the ACC athletically (that's Atlantic Coast Conference, not AAAACK) and AAU academically.
07-10-2015 09:41 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Bingo
07-10-2015 10:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blazinrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB & Marlins
Makes me sick to think that we were in the same conference with all those teams and now we'll be left behind. Far behind. I effin hate Bryant Jr and the BOT!
07-10-2015 10:07 AM
Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

(07-10-2015 09:41 AM)58-56 Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 08:43 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  We sign Clark instead of McGee at that time and you Would probably hear UAB in the discussion.

Doubt we (the fan/alumni base) would have reacted well to hiring a South Alabama assistant.

Now, if Frank Bromberg hadn't rolled over to let Junior onto the Board in 2000 (or Siegelman hadn't appointed that sack of **** - curious how Siegelman went to prison for appointing Scrushy to a totally useless medical board yet no one's ever looked into the Bryant annointment, is it not?) UAB would not be "in the discussion." UAB would be in the ACC athletically (that's Atlantic Coast Conference, not AAAACK) and AAU academically.

Yeah, this is the fault of people that allowed and the few that actually wanted UAB football to atrophy. With competent leadership, the university would have been in the AAU a long time ago and easily would have been a prime candidate for expansion. I believe anything that's not a major conference is a lateral move, but the AAC probably won't even make an offer when they start trying to back fill.

If realignment really does go down soon, then we're going to be one of the losers for sure. Best we can do is hope that next time it comes around is that we can get somewhere before the major conferences become much larger and the out of conference games are only left for select rivalries.
07-10-2015 10:10 AM
Advertisement

FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
The UAB administration and Gene Bartow's forward-thinking, pragmatic approach got us to FBS in 1996 and on a level playing field with these institutions. The Bammerist principles espoused by FRW have left us with no Bartows, save for one man of high integrity who continues to wait for a reasonable contract.
07-10-2015 11:13 AM
uabbean Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(07-10-2015 09:41 AM)58-56 Wrote:  UAB would be in the ACC athletically (that's Atlantic Coast Conference, not AAAACK) and AAU academically.
I do not think we could make the AAU.
We have the overall research numbers($$$$$) to make a case but in preliminary discussion a decade ago - the breath of our research - being almost exclusively/primarily medical was questioned. They pointed to our other non-medical PHDs programs even STEM. However the killer was our weak undergraduate academic standings, We have improved undergraduate some but still are not close to be 2nd quartile which was AAU informal minimum.

The criteria for new candidates could not be met by some current members. Further let us face it -we are from the south.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 01:59 PM by uabbean.)
07-10-2015 11:27 AM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

At this point, UAB is extremely fortunate to still be in what's left of C-USA.
07-10-2015 11:30 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(07-10-2015 11:27 AM)uabbean Wrote:  However the killer was our weak undergraduate academic standings, We have improved undergraduate some but still are not close to be 2nd quartile which was AAU informal minimum.

I agree that's the weak point: there are departments in A&S that would embarrass a juco and are lobbying for PhD programs just so they can get an easier teaching load. I still cling to the notion that the Garrison/Linney approach had a chance to clean out the deadwood and set it on fire. Some of them definitely deserved/deserve to be set on fire. Whatever chance there was required a supportive Board, and it's definitely not going to happen under a president who doesn't know the undergrad side has expanded outside Building #1.
07-10-2015 12:38 PM
Advertisement

blzrclub80 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
If the UA BoT had started supporting UAB football in 2004 in the same manner boards of TCU (who we beat 41-25), Baylor (who we beat 56-14) and Mississippi State (who we beat 27-13) supported them, we would be in the Big 12 Expansion Plan discussion too. And that, my Blazer friends, is why PBJ and his cabal did what they after 2004. Could you imagine the angst A Big 12 UAB would cause in this state! I would have loved to see it. Someday. Someday.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 03:17 PM by blzrclub80.)
07-10-2015 03:16 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(07-10-2015 03:16 PM)blzrclub80 Wrote:  If the UA BoT had started supporting UAB football in 2004 in the same manner boards of TCU (who we beat 41-25), Baylor (who we beat 56-14) and Mississippi State (who we beat 27-13) supported them, we would be in the Big 12 Expansion Plan discussion too. And that, my Blazer friends, is why PBJ and his cabal did what they after 2004. Could you imagine the angst A Big 12 UAB would cause in this state! I would have loved to see it. Someday. Someday.

Kansas basketball. Home and home. Every year.
07-10-2015 03:28 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(07-10-2015 03:16 PM)blzrclub80 Wrote:  If the UA BoT had started supporting UAB football in 2004 in the same manner boards of TCU (who we beat 41-25), Baylor (who we beat 56-14) and Mississippi State (who we beat 27-13) supported them, we would be in the Big 12 Expansion Plan discussion too. And that, my Blazer friends, is why PBJ and his cabal did what they after 2004. Could you imagine the angst A Big 12 UAB would cause in this state! I would have loved to see it. Someday. Someday.

I would have been happy if the UA BOT had just been neutral. Their body of work since 1996 has been aggressively hostile with their first broadside being Joe Fine's "Black Friday" committee report when they made that preemptive strike the day before two UAB players were drafted in the NFL's first two rounds. The spirit of their attitude has been that if you are a real Crimson Tide fan, you must hate Auburn AND UAB. Harvey Updike embarrassed them by killing those oaks, but their appointed President of UAB drew no such reaction for killing UAB football.

I believe UAB could have benefitted from their neutrality so that at least a few of their boosters could have boosted UAB like they did Bama. The board's demonstrated attitude made such contributions impossible. The present day price of C-USA level competition is going to be around $30 million per year. Can the guys presently on board so far provide that level of annual support?

According to the article, both Cinncy and Houston would have to jump hurdles of raising attendance to almost 35,000 plus add new facilities they lack. If those school's facilities are not good enough, what would UAB have to build to be similarly considered? If the BIG 12 wants to move to 12, might they then want to match the SEC and go to 14? Who might be their #14 team?
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 06:31 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
07-10-2015 04:13 PM
JxGx78 Offline
1st String

(07-10-2015 12:38 PM)58-56 Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 11:27 AM)uabbean Wrote:  However the killer was our weak undergraduate academic standings, We have improved undergraduate some but still are not close to be 2nd quartile which was AAU informal minimum.

I agree that's the weak point: there are departments in A&S that would embarrass a juco and are lobbying for PhD programs just so they can get an easier teaching load. I still cling to the notion that the Garrison/Linney approach had a chance to clean out the deadwood and set it on fire. Some of them definitely deserved/deserve to be set on fire. Whatever chance there was required a supportive Board, and it's definitely not going to happen under a president who doesn't know the undergrad side has expanded outside Building #1.

I've always thought the School of Business should offer more graduate programs. At the very least Masters in Finance and Economics would be a nice addition. Plus, a DBA.
07-11-2015 11:10 AM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
I'll give you one guess as to why Collat can't offer much beyond the MBA...
07-11-2015 09:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.