Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten- Thought on television negotiations
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
Big Ten- Thought on television negotiations
Consider how the NFL negotiates its football television contracts. Now, exclude the NBC game of the week, ESPN's Monday Night Football, and the NFL Networks's Thursday Night Game.

What are we left with? CBS owns the rights to the AFC games on Sunday. Fox owns the rights to the NFC games on Sunday. Fox pays a premium for the NFC rights.

Could the Big Ten negotiate similarly? For example- Could the rights to the Big Ten East be negotiated with ESPN and the rights to the Big Ten West be negotiated with Fox?

-Just a thought.
07-10-2015 06:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
RE: Big Ten- Thought on television negotiations
I guess they could but that sounds like a recipe for disaster. Say the east gets $1 per school and the west gets $2 per school. Do they average it out to $1.50 per school? Schools are so greedy I don't see them wanting to share.
07-11-2015 06:00 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
No, it's just my opinion but I don't see the Big Ten doing anything like that.
07-11-2015 07:58 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
any split deal would be more like the split deals that the Big 12 signed with ESPN/ABc and Fox. one week fox gets the top game, next week ABC gets the top game, etc, etc.
07-11-2015 08:18 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Not gonna happen. The east division has Ohio State, Michigan, and the huge new TV markets on the east coast. Allowing a bidding process that assigns separate dollar values to each division would greatly favor the east. The west division schools would have to be crazy to permit that kind of bidding.
07-11-2015 08:45 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
I think the only solution is that all these conference Networks should be rolled into one. It means all the games for the P5, G5, FCS and basketball conferences could be done under one deal. I know the P5 do not like this, but they also will see that cord cutting can really hurt you in the long run if there are way to many channels out there.
Now, the NCAA can negotiate a deal for which schools or conferences could be shown on tv.
Like PAC 12 with MWC, Big Sky, Big West, WCC and some of the top D2 and D3 schools can be shown on all CBS Networks.
Big 12, Big 10, Southland, Summit, WAC, MVC, MVFC, MAC, GAC, and some others can be shown on both Fox, CBS and ESPN alike.
SEC, ACC, Sun Belt, C-USA, AAC, the rest of FCS and top D2 and D3 schools can be shown as a package to ESPN, CBS, ABC, NBC and COX Cable.

Some schools like BYU, Texas, NBC, Navy, Boise State, Army, Air Force and some others could sign a separate deals that could be satisfying for them. Boise State do very good on the ESPN Networks alone.

This idea could do away with all these extra channels that ESPN have, and cut back on the spending. Look at how many people hired to do all these calls on games for all these different conferences if you have all these different Conference channels? I think the problem with ESPN and others is that even though you have all these Networks? You have to hire more broadcasters to call these games, and that costs money. ESPN and other Networks are imploding right now. I do not see that the SEC, Longhorns, Big 12, Big 10, Big East Pac 12 and others will last. Creating Network Channels will be bad for the long run. All the conferences need control and sell their rights to a TV partner like Fox, CBS, NBC, Bright House, Cox, ABC/ESPN and others. College sports is a lot different than the Pro sports. It is evident that the PAC12 Network failed because most of their teams are located in towns that are Pro Sports fanatics. That is what eats away from the Conference Networks. Big 12 have the same issues with TCU in the Dallas Cowboys backyard. Baylor in the same and Kansas and Kansas State are in the Chief's and Royals backyard.
Big10 is in the same boat with some of their schools like Minnesota, Northwestern, Rutgers and Maryland.
ACC with Miami, Pittsburgh, Boston College, and some others.
SEC with Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, and LSU.
The Pros decided to add Thursday Night Games to go up against College football which hurts the College football.
07-12-2015 01:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Could the Big Ten negotiate similarly? For example- Could the rights to the Big Ten East be negotiated with ESPN and the rights to the Big Ten West be negotiated with Fox?

Umm, no. There's the B10 network, and that's never going away.

Now, the B10 network doesn't get ALL the games... so if ABC/ESPN were to sell some B10 games they get over to Fox, they could strike a deal with Fox to get some from one side VS the other, sure. But again, it wouldn't be the majority of the games anyway, so there wouldn't be a whole lot of games to shell out. There'd be no reason to spit them like that, really. Most would be non-conf B10 games anyway.
07-12-2015 01:53 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(07-12-2015 01:53 AM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:Could the Big Ten negotiate similarly? For example- Could the rights to the Big Ten East be negotiated with ESPN and the rights to the Big Ten West be negotiated with Fox?

Now, the B10 network doesn't get ALL the games... so if ABC/ESPN were to sell some B10 games they get over to Fox, they could strike a deal with Fox to get some from one side VS the other, sure. But again, it wouldn't be the majority of the games anyway, so there wouldn't be a whole lot of games to shell out. There'd be no reason to spit them like that, really. Most would be non-conf B10 games anyway.

I don't think you understand. All of The Big Ten's tv rights contracts are finishing up. They can either renew them at a renegotiated rate or they can come up with something new, a new arrangement.

At that period of time, they are not ESPN's to sell to Fox, they are The Big Ten's to sell to the highest bidder. So, technically, The Big Ten could work out a deal similar to what the PAC does. ESPN, Fox and the PAC Network are all equivalent at Tier 1.
07-12-2015 02:17 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(07-12-2015 02:17 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(07-12-2015 01:53 AM)toddjnsn Wrote:  

I don't think you understand. All of The Big Ten's tv rights contracts are finishing up. They can either renew them at a renegotiated rate or they can come up with something new, a new arrangement.

At that period of time, they are not ESPN's to sell to Fox, they are The Big Ten's to sell to the highest bidder. So, technically, The Big Ten could work out a deal similar to what the PAC does. ESPN, Fox and the PAC Network are all equivalent at Tier 1.

It would hurt them in a long run. If people keep dropping cable and all that? It will make some to go out of business. There have some cable companies dropped cable tv altogether because they were too small, and could not afford the ESPN's extortions for more money.
07-12-2015 04:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.