Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Article: Oklahoma’s Big Ten Agenda
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
Article: Oklahoma’s Big Ten Agenda
https://www.getmoresports.com/oklahomas-big-ten-agenda/

The article lists ten B10 schools that OU has as academic peers. I'll leave you with this quote which goes to the heart of the author's argument:

For casual college football fans the notion that an athletic association can somehow improve the academics of a school is hard to comprehend. The common saying that I hear is “Kentucky doesn’t become a better school just because they are in a conference with Vanderbilt.” People are correct when they say that. However what Kentucky gains by playing Vanderbilt is being able to meet with the Vanderbilt Chancellor on a regular basis. Being perceived as an equal member in an association that consists of academic powerhouses well above their weight class. And most importantly, they gain the ability to claim membership to a conference that consists of the best academic schools in their region.

For most college football fans the concept that a school will choose their athletic conference for academic purposes is not accepted because they can’t understand that sort of reasoning. My response is that you don’t have to understand it; you simply have to acknowledge its existence. Academic administrators like Boren will always place a tremendous amount of value on academic association. Since they are the decision makers in the conference realignment world, what they value matters.
07-06-2015 11:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
RE: Article: Oklahoma’s Big Ten Agenda
I think the B12 slugging along into the next decade is more likely. But if OU does move...

For me it comes down to does OU decide to split from OSU or not?

If they do, OU/KU to the B1G is likely. Not only for the academics but an OU, Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas division/pod is very Big 8'ish.

If not, and OU, UT, Okla State, and TTU don't go to the PAC together, I could see the SEC as the destination as long as they are willing to take both OU and OSU.

Just my thoughts on this.

Cheers,
Neil
07-06-2015 11:30 PM
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
"Make no mistake about it, OU wants the Big Ten more than any other conference." That says it all. I for one would love to have them.
07-06-2015 11:41 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Don't OU and Nebraska badly need Texas schools in the B1G for recruiting?

Would the B1G take Rice as a tandem for OU? Assuming UT or A&M wouldnt?
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 11:58 PM by NoDak.)
07-06-2015 11:46 PM
CintiFan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio St./ Cinti
The CIC is unique and does give the BIG an academic advantage. According to the CIC's annual report, the CIC universities' combined research expenditures were over $10 billion in 2013-14. The CIC promotes collaborative research, faculty programs, student programs and administrative initiatives. Here's the link in case you're interested.

http://www.cic.net/docs/default-source/r...f?sfvrsn=5

For schools like Oklahoma and Texas that have multiple conference options, the CIC will clearly help the BIG stand out.
07-07-2015 12:09 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(07-07-2015 12:09 AM)CintiFan Wrote:  The CIC is unique and does give the BIG an academic advantage. According to the CIC's annual report, the CIC universities' combined research expenditures were over $10 billion in 2013-14. The CIC promotes collaborative research, faculty programs, student programs and administrative initiatives. Here's the link in case you're interested.

For schools like Oklahoma and Texas that have multiple conference options, the CIC will clearly help the BIG stand out.

Watch what comes next. Some folks, probably from Pitt, are going to attack you for bringing up the CIC while at the same time they completely ignore the points made in the article.

Trust me on this, wait for it. They might surprise me and just ignore the thread hoping that it goes away but I doubt it.

They know I wont let it die. 07-coffee3
07-07-2015 12:51 AM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(07-06-2015 11:41 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  "Make no mistake about it, OU wants the Big Ten more than any other conference." That says it all. I for one would love to have them.

I can't help but feel that they're fishing for a better PAC response. The PAC and SEC will be the only conferences willing to take on two OK schools.
07-07-2015 05:14 AM
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
Optional limit is what they can and can’t do.

They???

Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas

These three are the most important in the B12.

Their movement will reduce the current value of the B12 in half but they will still be a P5 conference, a direct access to BCS and playoff spot if qualified.

Texas is wanted by all major conference but is limited by what they don’t want.

I believed from the least to the most wanted conference they want to be in.
1. SEC
2. ACC
3. B1G or PAC
4. B12

The B12 will be as bad as SEC for TEXAS if Oklahoma or Kanas is gone.

There is absolutely no replacement for any of those two. Two flagship school in an above average populated state.

Second tier (non-flagship) schools don’t carry the state or the city they represent. The heart and soul of sport fans (non-alumni) in the state will select a flagship school to root and cheer for as their champion that go to battle for them.

It really don’t matter what the B12 do in term of expansion there are no viable schools to add that will improve their next cycle contract.

It is in the best interest of Texas to work with Oklahoma not to end up in a place they don’t want to be in. This is what I believe will lead Texas get together with Oklahoma to plan an exit strategy.

Does their plan include their little brothers? If it does you know where they are headed.

I still believe 16-shool is the sweet spot for Super conference that is manageable. All things are possible but not expedient.
07-07-2015 07:53 AM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-06-2015 11:46 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Don't OU and Nebraska badly need Texas schools in the B1G for recruiting?.....

No. Oklahoma's best recruiting days in Texas were when they were in the Big8 and played only Texas non-conference.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 08:49 AM by SMUmustangs.)
07-07-2015 08:08 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(07-06-2015 11:30 PM)omniorange Wrote:  I think the B12 slugging along into the next decade is more likely.
That's my thought, too.

Quote:But if OU does move...

For me it comes down to does OU decide to split from OSU or not?
I think OU could split from OSU, but only if OSU is provided some sort of safe harbor. Which, under the circumstances, means the SEC. If SEC takes OSU, then OU would definitely have the political freedom to go to the PAC or B1G. The Sooners might have such freedom anyway. Hard to tell from the outside.

Quote:If they do, OU/KU to the B1G is likely. Not only for the academics but an OU, Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas division/pod is very Big 8'ish.
Agree, that is a very plausible outcome. Also, Neil's comment about OU and OSU going to the SEC together could happen, too. I suspect that is less-likely than most of the other scenarios, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.
07-07-2015 08:25 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
(07-06-2015 10:34 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(07-06-2015 09:58 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  
(07-06-2015 06:34 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(07-06-2015 11:53 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  A few thoughts:

(1) A lot of people keep forgetting just how much ESPN has invested in the Big Ten and vice versa. The B1G is NOT a Fox property. In fact, the most valuable college football games that ESPN owns are the tier 1 Big Ten games. The BTN/Fox relationship is supplemental to that ESPN relationship and not a replacement. The Big Ten isn't short-sighted - it's looking to replicate what the SEC (and even further, what the NFL) has with having multiple high profile partners. It's not putting all of its eggs into one basket.

(2) The Big Ten is out to make money. Oklahoma will ABSOLUTELY make the Big Ten money regardless of the small market on paper. Kansas would make the Big Ten money, too. Let's not get so myopic in thinking that some random school in Texas (not named Texas or Texas A&M) is somehow more valuable than Oklahoma and Kansas simply because of market size. The Rutgers addition still involved a flagship school with top tier academics. The only two questions with Oklahoma are (1) whether it is academically acceptable to the Big Ten and (2) whether it can *proactively* go anywhere without Oklahoma State. I don't think point #1 is as far off as people make it out to be (and I'm as big of a Big Ten academic snob as anyone) - OU essentially has the same rankings and research metrics across the board as Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri despite not having AAU status. Point #2 is a larger concern. I've seen people argue that OU can ditch OSU if the Big 12 is collapsing, which is true in theory. However, the only reason why the Big 12 would collapse is if either UT or OU leaves. So, it's a catch-22 for OU if UT is happy with staying in the league - OU can't make "The Big 12 is collapsing!" argument to leave OSU without a power conference home if they're the ones causing the collapse. Regardless, from the Big Ten's viewpoint, it's not about BTN markets anymore. This is about making BTN into a legit *national* network, which is what OU and KU can do better than anyone outside of the obvious Texas/Notre Dame/UNC-types.

Which is why my concept is the only one that can happen before the GoR expires.

Texas controls the situation more than any other big 12 school. They could easily gather two other schools to vote down any dissolution vote. Oklahoma and Kansas could too because they aren't worried about finding a home after the GoR expires. Everyone else though, they are worried.

Texas isn't going to ok the vote if Oklahoma is to end up in the SEC. They simply aren't going to allow Oklahoma to be in a four team division with both Texas A&M and Arkansas. There is a 0% chance of that happening despite what the herd has to say about that.

Oklahoma doesn't need to worry about Oklahoma State because OSU will take their place in the SEC.

The Big Ten will have to split their Tier 1 rights between ESPN and Fox else Fox will never give their approval to this dissolution. They could easily press for damages if the GoR and all television rights granted from it are indirectly voided due to dissolution. Why would The Big Ten do this? Because of the money that will be coming down the pipeline due to having conference football tournaments and stronger division rivalries. General fans will understand a more uniform set up as well which is why the Networks project higher ratings for this upcoming system than what they see with the current system.

You can go ahead and take the idea from me and put it on your blog.

OU will be joining the SEC West, with OSU teaming up with Mizzou in the SEC East.

Texas can't do a thing to stop it, nor will they care. Just like they don't care now about Texas A&M being in the SEC. Nor does it affect them.

Texas will worry about Texas, and its football team being a major independent like Notre Dame. And with its own network.

PAC will take Kansas and KSU (since those two will be tied together, same as in Oklahoma). Those two will bring prominent basketball, including border "rivalries" with Colorado (that's how it will be marketed, anyway).

To finish off the Central Timezone PAC expansion will be two Texas schools from Tech, Baylor and TCU. The last two would be the sexiest picks, matching the style and high flying play of Oregon.

https://www.getmoresports.com/oklahomas-big-ten-agenda/

I have learned that you cant cram a unit with a particular value of volume into another space that is not capable of containing that particular value of volume.

So instead I will leave you with this little tidbit to read. It hasn't yet been brought up in a thread all of it's own but it will soon be. I added that last sentence just to show you how very "special" you are all the way up there in North Dakota. The quotes make the word special better, I swear.

It's nice that you found a blogger who made a blog post that is in-line with your opinion. But I fail to see how anything he said proves anything.

And where is this "list of peers" published? Or did the blogger just make it up?
07-07-2015 08:52 AM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

(07-07-2015 12:09 AM)CintiFan Wrote:  The CIC is unique and does give the BIG an academic advantage. According to the CIC's annual report, the CIC universities' combined research expenditures were over $10 billion in 2013-14. The CIC promotes collaborative research, faculty programs, student programs and administrative initiatives. Here's the link in case you're interested.

Texas would be a fine addition to the CIC, as would Georgia Tech.

Kansas, meh. Would be about like Nebraska.

Oklahoma, would not add anything.

If anything, the CIC would prevent Oklahoma from being considered. Third party rankings and stated ambitions aside, OU just doesn't have anywhere near the research clout to interest B1G presidents. In that regard, at least.
07-07-2015 08:54 AM
AntiG Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(07-06-2015 11:46 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Don't OU and Nebraska badly need Texas schools in the B1G for recruiting?

Would the B1G take Rice as a tandem for OU? Assuming UT or A&M wouldnt?

OU, UT, KU and Rice to the new and improved B18
07-07-2015 08:54 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(07-06-2015 11:41 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  "Make no mistake about it, OU wants the Big Ten more than any other conference." That says it all. I for one would love to have them.

They don't interest me in the slightest. I for one would never travel to Norman to watch the Gophers play there. That's solely my opinion, let me make it clear.

- They bring nothing in terms of research.
- They don't bring their entire state, as it's split with OK St
- And speaking of that, the state government will not allow OU to abandon OK St with no P5 home. OK St will most certainly not be invite to the B1G.
- State politics and culture do not match the B1G, on average. They're not midwesterners. They're southerners.

If you like their football team so much, then schedule a non-conference series against them. Doesn't that serve the same purpose?
07-07-2015 08:57 AM
HawkeyeCoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU
(07-07-2015 08:57 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  

They don't interest me in the slightest. I for one would never travel to Norman to watch the Gophers play there. That's solely my opinion, let me make it clear.

- And speaking of that, the state government will not allow OU to abandon OK St with no P5 home. OK St will most certainly not be invite to the B1G.
- State politics and culture do not match the B1G, on average. They're not midwesterners. They're southerners.

If you like their football team so much, then schedule a non-conference series against them. Doesn't that serve the same purpose?

I think your average Ohio State fan would rather have Oklahoma as a conference mate than Minnesota. They have more in common, it would be more competitive, they are more likely to form a rivalry, it would bring more national respect, and it would bring another possibility of a big win.

I think at some point a similar Ohio St/Minnesota narrative will play out in big conferences. For example, Ohio St. forming a conference with Oklahoma and other big schools, leaving behind Minnesota and the small schools from multiple conferences. At present, the underlings from at least one conference have survived mergers and acquisitions, but I wonder if that will not be the next step.
07-07-2015 10:10 AM
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
People keep saying OU won't leave OSU unless it has a safe harbor. The safe harbor would be the B12 staying a power conference w/o UT, OU, KU and having access to the NC pathway that really what everyone wants for there school. The same applies for TT, Baylor, TCU and all the rest of left behind chess pieces in the B12, without the likes of UT, OU, KU in the B12.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 10:15 AM by BIgCatonProwl.)
07-07-2015 10:14 AM
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(07-07-2015 10:14 AM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  People keep saying OU won't leave OSU unless it has a safe harbor. The safe harbor would be the B12 staying a power conference w/o UT, OU, KU and having access to the NC pathway that really what everyone wants for there school. The same applies for TT, Baylor, TCU and all the rest of left behind chess pieces in the B12, without the likes of UT, OU, KU in the B12.

I would imagine the Sugar would renegotiate its contract without Tex/OU being in the mix. What about the Big 12 vs SEC basketball challenge?
07-07-2015 10:23 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(07-07-2015 10:14 AM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  People keep saying OU won't leave OSU unless it has a safe harbor. The safe harbor would be the B12 staying a power conference w/o UT, OU, KU and having access to the NC pathway that really what everyone wants for there school. The same applies for TT, Baylor, TCU and all the rest of left behind chess pieces in the B12, without the likes of UT, OU, KU in the B12.

There is no safe harbor in the B12 if one of the biggies leave. Once the first domino tumbles, the rest will tumble also. The Big 10, ACC and SEC would start picking apart the Big 12. The PAC may or may not depending on if they can get the schools palatable to the PAC presidents. But if the those 3 P5 conferences grow to 16, I don't see the PAC staying at 12. Its not, that they won't be just fine with 12 but I think they need to grow in numbers for their conference network. They can't afford to pass up an opportunity when the other 4 are feasting on the Big 12.
07-07-2015 10:32 AM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-07-2015 08:57 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  

I agree. The remaining 7 Big12 schools would just add BYU and the best schools from the AAC and the MWC. Probably Houston, SMU, Cincy, and Boise
07-07-2015 10:40 AM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-07-2015 12:51 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

Watch what comes next. Some folks, probably from Pitt, are going to attack you for bringing up the CIC while at the same time they completely ignore the points made in the article.

Trust me on this, wait for it. They might surprise me and just ignore the thread hoping that it goes away but I doubt it.

They know I wont let it die. 07-coffee3

I'll give you want you want. LMFAO @ you, if you don't get it after all the prior threads and explanations and examples how stupid that concept is, you are a major foocking moron. Ignorance can no longer be blamed for your stupid statements like it can for the author of the article.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 12:11 PM by CrazyPaco.)
07-07-2015 12:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.