Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pat Forde: 40 schedule observations (LINK)
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Pat Forde: 40 schedule observations (LINK)
Pat Forde with a July "40-yard Dash":
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/40-schedule...soc_trk=ma

Some ACC highlights:

Quote:7. For the first time since 1915, Notre Dame does not play a single team from the Big Ten. The Fighting Irish play six opponents from their pseudo-home conference, the Atlantic Coast.

Quote:22. The last time Notre Dame played at Clemson, Joe Montana had to lead a fourth-quarter rally from 10 points down for a 21-17 victory in November 12, 1977. The Fighting Irish went on to win the national title.

Quote:33. Bobby Petrino is undefeated (10-0) in season openers as a head coach. That perfect record will get a serious challenge Sept. 5 when Louisville faces Auburn in the Georgia Dome.

Quote:37. Wake Forest, an original ACC member dating back to 1953, will play games in Syracuse, N.Y.; West Point, N.Y.; Chestnut Hill, Mass.; and South Bend, Ind. Three of them are scheduled by the ACC.
07-06-2015 09:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
RE: Pat Forde: 40 schedule observations (LINK)
[quote='ecuacc4ever' pid='12177584' dateline='1436235014']
Pat Forde with a July "40-yard Dash":
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/40-schedule...soc_trk=ma

Some ACC highlights:

[quote]7. For the first time since 1915, Notre Dame does not play a single team from the Big Ten. The Fighting Irish play six opponents from their pseudo-home conference, the Atlantic Coast.[/quote]

[quote]22. The last time Notre Dame played at Clemson, Joe Montana had to lead a fourth-quarter rally from 10 points down for a 21-17 victory in November 12, 1977. The Fighting Irish went on to win the national title.[/quote]

Did you post this just to make me smile this morning? :)

The Big Ten just doesn't match up with ND's "Southern and Western Strategy" regarding football scheduling and recruiting.
07-07-2015 06:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
That Joe Montana guy was pretty good.

I will miss the Michigan/Notre Dame game, though.
07-07-2015 07:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
(07-07-2015 07:25 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  That Joe Montana guy was pretty good.

Didn't Notre Dame value the Michigan St. game over the wolverines...? Of course this was before the Haugbaurgh(sp?) hiring, they may change their minds in a few years.
FLossY Out...04-wine
07-07-2015 11:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-07-2015 11:40 AM)HRFlossY Wrote:  

Didn't Notre Dame value the Michigan St. game over the wolverines...? Of course this was before the Haugbaurgh(sp?) hiring, they may change their minds in a few years.
FLossY Out...04-wine

ND fans probably did value MSU over UM, but me personally - I liked UM/ND.
Hokie Out!
07-07-2015 01:58 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

Whatever happened to that guy after the left Notre Dame? (from the old commerical).
07-07-2015 06:32 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

FLossY Out...04-wine

No, the hatred for Michigan is palpable. I have seen or heard very few complaints about ND ditching the Skunkbears from other ND fans.
07-07-2015 06:33 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-07-2015 06:33 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

FLossY Out...04-wine

No, the hatred for Michigan is palpable
. I have seen or heard very few complaints about ND ditching the Skunkbears from other ND fans.

^^^ THIS ^^^ is why I'll miss the Michigan/Notre Dame games!
07-07-2015 07:38 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

Jack Swarbrick met with some big ND boosters at an alumni event known as Universal Notre Dame Night.

His comments:

"Independence is not about football at all. Rather, it is important as a means of promoting Notre Dame.

Bound up in that is our scheduling.

Playing in California every year is an imperative, and if we want to keep USC on the schedule every year, then Pac-12 scheduling makes us play two Pac-12 teams every year (“or it won’t work”), so to ensure that we have a game in Cal every year, we are sticking with Stanford as the other perennial Pac-12 opponent.

Then, when you add in Navy and the five ACC games, that leaves four. Among those four is a “buy” game (he called it that, “everybody does it” and “we need to do it to have 7 home games”) and the Shamrock Series game.

That leaves two premiere home-and-home games to schedule every year.

Those two games are viewed as “marker” games for the selection committee to consider.

Independence would be jeopardized if we lost a broadcast partner or if we ended up being penalized by the playoff selection committee."

He got some laughs when he was asked whether it was hard to end the Michigan series. “No.”

ND chose Under Armour, among other reasons, because the ND demographic skews old, and he wanted to bend the curve on that, which Under Armour is best suited to do.

He reiterated that ND will not join in with paying players, which he has publicly said before. He added, however, that there are enough like-minded schools that, if that came to pass, "our schedule wouldn't look much different."

And there you have it from the Notre Dame athletic director. A one word answer to the question about cancelling the Michigan series.

It is not quite as notable as General Anthony McAuliffe's "Nuts" response to the German question about surrender at Bastogne but it is close enough for me.

It is pretty much orthodoxy by ND people that Michigan could rot in hell. There is not much sentiment from that quarter to play them every year.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2015 08:20 AM by TerryD.)
07-08-2015 08:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.