WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Greece. What's to be learned from this tragedy?
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Greece. What's to be learned from this tragedy?
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 07:32 AM by gobaseline.)
07-06-2015 07:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Greece. What's to be learned from this tragedy?
This one cuts deep, because I am Greek ethnicity. But, the problems you see in Greece exist in the USA as well. We've gotten around paying the piper because we can inflate our way out of debt obligations to a certain extent, the Greeks can't do that with the EURO.

Greece never should have been allowed in the Eurozone in the first place, they were unqualified. The Greek Drachma was in a condition of almost continual and chronic inflation for decades, that alone demonstrated they were unprepared to assume a strong, stable currency like the EURO. But I-and many others-hoped that once Greece got into the EZ, they would forced to reform their bad practices and bring their institutions up to EZ standard. That never happened.

The ultimate problem in Greece is populist politicians. You get elected in Greece by promising more than the opposition. Of course that's true everywhere, but in Greece when they make promises to spend the REALLY mean it. Successive Greek governments took advantage of low interest rates in the European Central Bank to borrow money like crazy and spend it-not on good infrastructure projects that would increase productivity and provide an economic payback-but too often on social programs. They also hired the family members of political supporters into the Civil Service, where the were guaranteed jobs for life.

Like I said, we're not that much better than the Greeks when it comes to problems. Our advantage is we have our own currency, so we can coverup our excesses. They have no ability to manipulate the EURO and do the same, hence this disaster.

But even with everything that went wrong, Greece went through 5 years of a reform program and had just completed their first two quarters with a primary surplus. It looked like they'd finally turned the corner. But Greeks have a history of changing direction completely, just when they are on the verge of success. They've done it many times in their history. In January, they elected a government of Marxist/Leninists. In 5 MONTHS they destroyed everything Greece had accomplished in 5 years. Utterly, utterly appalling.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 08:04 PM by BroncoPhilly.)
07-06-2015 08:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.