Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Orlando Sentinel Countdown - #56 Rice
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
Orlando Sentinel Countdown - #56 Rice
Rice in at #56..I must have missed the memo that we were in the Mountain West last year.
Quote:2014 record: 8-5 overall, 5-3 Mountain West; tied for second in West Division

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...-post.html
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2015 10:10 AM by dragon2owl.)
07-03-2015 10:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
RE: Orlando Sentinel Countdown - #56 Rice
Haha

Im more shocked that a 8-5 record in C-USA would put us at #56
07-03-2015 10:28 AM
RiceFight Offline
Bench Warmer

This means they're ranking us behind Marshall, WKU, LaTech, and UTEP. But hey, at least we're better than S.CAR, Texas, and Arkansas.
07-03-2015 11:23 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
That November 6 game in El Paso may be for all the West marbles. 05-stirthepot

I expected to be in the 50's.
07-03-2015 11:29 AM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(07-03-2015 10:06 AM)dragon2owl Wrote:  Rice in at #56..I must have missed the memo that we were in the Mountain West last year.
Quote:2014 record: 8-5 overall, 5-3 Mountain West; tied for second in West Division

Sadly, accuracy and proof-reading are not valued in the modern media business models:
Orlando Sentinel Wrote:Rice is No. 56 in the Orlando Sentinel's preseason college football rankings

Orlando Sentinel college insider Matt Murschel ranked all 128 Football Bowl Subdivision teams in the country entering the 2015-16 season. The Sentinel staff takes a closer look at a new team daily, counting backward from No. 128 to our projected No. 1 team.

Today at No. 57: Rice ...
07-03-2015 12:44 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(07-03-2015 10:06 AM)dragon2owl Wrote:  Rice in at #56..I must have missed the memo that we were in the Mountain West last year.

Not sure what you're talking about; clearly this writer knows fútbol: (from the byline on the Rice article)

[Image: 400x225]

Iliana Limón Romero, Writer Orlando Sentinel

Iliana Limón Romero is the college sports editor of the Orlando Sentinel and Sun Sentinel.

She also supervises Orlando's soccer coverage.

The El Paso native previously worked at The Albuquerque Tribune.

Limón Romero joined the Sentinel in 2007 and covered UCF athletics for four years. She is the proud co-owner of two dachshunds, Atticus and Scout.

I'd guess we'd be about the same as last year, give or take a game. In looking at the Orlando Sentinel's ranking, having us ahead of Texas, Michigan, UH, South Carolina, Va Tech and Florida seems a bit far-fetched but it would be nice. I'd love to actually be better than all those teams...but not because they all fell so far down to the bottom where we've been, but because Rice rose up and was ranked in the Top 10. Only way to know is to play them...but we don't (other than Texas.)
07-03-2015 02:25 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

Arkansas went 7-6 last year. Murdered NIU, beat LSU, beat ole miss, narrowly lost to Mississippi state and hammered Texas in their bowl game.

They also lost to aTm in OT while we lost 38-10.How we are ranked that much higher... Beats me .
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2015 04:27 PM by Antarius.)
07-04-2015 04:25 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(07-04-2015 04:25 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Arkansas went 7-6 last year. Murdered NIU, beat LSU, beat ole miss, narrowly lost to Mississippi state and hammered Texas in their bowl game.

They also lost to aTm in OT while we lost 38-10.How we are ranked that much higher... Beats me .

56, +/-, seems about right to me. Some of the teams ranked lower and some higher are mysteries as to why they are ranked there, but in the end this is just another preseason listing, and most of those end up in the bottom of the bird cage anyway. Got to do something to get through June, July, and August.
07-04-2015 05:09 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(07-04-2015 05:09 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(07-04-2015 04:25 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Arkansas went 7-6 last year. Murdered NIU, beat LSU, beat ole miss, narrowly lost to Mississippi state and hammered Texas in their bowl game.

56, +/-, seems about right to me. Some of the teams ranked lower and some higher are mysteries as to why they are ranked there, but in the end this is just another preseason listing, and most of those end up in the bottom of the bird cage anyway. Got to do something to get through June, July, and August.

Fair enough.

I feel we will be better than 50, although a lot hinges on the first few games.
07-06-2015 09:18 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(07-06-2015 09:18 AM)Antarius Wrote:  
(07-04-2015 05:09 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

Fair enough.

I feel we will be better than 50, although a lot hinges on the first few games.

So, question, tongue in cheek, so to speak..

If we reach 50 or better, and then have a game where Rice beats Rice, will we get credit for having beaten a Top 50 team? 05-stirthepot

This scenario could easily happen in the first three games, if we go easy win, win, really bad loss.
07-06-2015 10:12 AM
BoKnows Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB Football

It's hard to believe that Arkansas was at one time a conference opponent.

This is simply a case of the writer giving Rice the benefit of the doubt because Rice is higher up in the Conference USA food chain than Arkansas is in the SEC.

This is actually a good thing. It is a perk that Rice is enjoying as a CUSA member; and highlights what we've been saying all along. Conference realignment has served Rice well, and is helping to showcase Rice athletics better than at any other point in Rice history.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 10:24 AM by BoKnows.)
07-06-2015 10:23 AM
Advertisement

exowlswimmer Offline
2nd String

Can UAB restart football this year so our unwanted cheerleader Bo will get off of our board? I'd gladly pay to go Indy just to avoid his rah rah drivel about what a great fit CUSA 4.0 is for us. I shudder to think how far down the food chain we would be if we were still in the latest incarnation of the WAC.
07-07-2015 07:49 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(07-07-2015 07:49 AM)exowlswimmer Wrote:  Can UAB restart football this year so our unwanted cheerleader Bo will get off of our board? I'd gladly pay to go Indy just to avoid his rah rah drivel about what a great fit CUSA 4.0 is for us. I shudder to think how far down the food chain we would be if we were still in the latest incarnation of the WAC.

Two words.

Ignore list.
07-07-2015 09:22 AM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
Back to the topic at hand ... highly respected CFB guru Phil Steele has us at #97 at his Top 128 Power Poll.

He also has us at #2 in CUSA West.

(Also ... don't underestimate the possibility that the UAB buffoon is actually not from UAB. He sure seemed to know a lot about the baseball scene at UH.)
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 10:25 AM by Orange County Owl.)
07-07-2015 10:14 AM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
I'm sure Boknows is just a really proud UAB and CUSA supporter. He doesn't mean any harm. He doesn't know about the discontent many Parliamentarians have with CUSA. Even though I mostly agree with him, even I wish he'd cut back on crashing our board. You guys only tolerate me because I'm a Rice fan and a regular here.

Anyway, I'm afraid the Orlando Sentinel ranking is a little too high. The reality is that we're breaking in a brand new defense. We do have good talent now, but these guys are going to have to take over as starters. I'm a little weary of all this. My crystal ball sees a 7-5 or maybe a 8-4 season. I'd be happy with the New Orleans Bowl, although I hope for more.
07-07-2015 10:41 AM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

(07-07-2015 10:41 AM)Afflicted Wrote:  Anyway, I'm afraid the Orlando Sentinel ranking is a little too high. The reality is that we're breaking in a brand new defense. We do have good talent now, but these guys are going to have to take over as starters. I'm a little weary of all this. My crystal ball sees a 7-5 or maybe a 8-4 season. I'd be happy with the New Orleans Bowl, although I hope for more.

Yeah, we can't hold on to our starters. They always leave after a few years.
07-07-2015 10:58 AM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(07-07-2015 10:41 AM)Afflicted Wrote:  Anyway, I'm afraid the Orlando Sentinel ranking is a little too high. The reality is that we're breaking in a brand new defense. We do have good talent now, but these guys are going to have to take over as starters. I'm a little weary of all this. My crystal ball sees a 7-5 or maybe a 8-4 season. I'd be happy with the New Orleans Bowl, although I hope for more.

Will there ever be an end to preemptive excuse making? Welcome to College Football!!! Home of student-athletes that graduate and leave.

Some of these posts remind me of this:
[Image: d4f3585915df73fa50717581a1988570e5115cb9...3735_large]

Close, but not quite seems to be a cause for celebration.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 11:18 AM by Antarius.)
07-07-2015 11:17 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(07-07-2015 10:14 AM)Orange County Owl Wrote:  Back to the topic at hand ... highly respected CFB guru Phil Steele has us at #97 at his Top 128 Power Poll.

He also has us at #2 in CUSA West.

(Also ... don't underestimate the possibility that the UAB buffoon is actually not from UAB. He sure seemed to know a lot about the baseball scene at UH.)

Though I think #56 is way too high given our woeful performance vs. Top 75 teams and all the departures on defense, I think #97 is way too low given our schedule and all that we're returning on offense (especially if DJ and Cella are fully healthy). As Goldielocks might say, somewhere in the middle-- say, #75-- would appear just right.
07-07-2015 11:19 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(07-07-2015 10:58 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  

Yeah, we can't hold on to our starters. They always leave after a few years.

Bazinga!
07-07-2015 11:28 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I am disagreement with both you and Walt. If only there was some way to actually find out.
07-07-2015 11:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.