07-01-2015 09:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
RE: Media ignores gay hate crime
Really started sounding fake at “Someone was on my chest and legs and they were trying to force me to drink bleach.”

Yeah, BS...
07-01-2015 09:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Absolutely horrific.
07-01-2015 09:38 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Hmmmmm
07-01-2015 09:40 AM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
I barely saw this when it originally came out. And I read the Gay press daily. I remember thinking...this would be a huge outrage - if true.

In situations like that, I usually sit back and say - wait for the investigation to conclude.

While bias has been historically rampant in Utah against LGBT persons....actual violence against LGBT persons is pretty rare there (something like that would be far more believable coming from the Deep South - where documented bias crimes are far more common). Sure, the guy who lynched Shepard was Mormon, but that was the only violent outburst (admittedly spectacularly outrageous) I can remember from them.

Doesn't mean that bias crimes don't exist in the IM West (actually I was attacked in Colorado years ago - I fought them off) but this case didn't seem to fit the profile of this type of crime.

Any time you see an outrageous story, give the victim the benefit of the doubt, but so long as an investigation is pending, let the facts come out before jumping to conclusions.. Especially if the story is not consistent with the recent or historical pattern of these crimes.

Where I would get upset is if there wasn't an investigation. But that wasn't the case here.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 10:23 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
07-01-2015 10:15 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
By the way, I do want to note that I've always believed that gays should not be discriminated against and that any hate crimes against gays are appalling.

But I see this and react as I did to a story like the Duke rape case. It is so easy to cause problems in today's hypersensitive climate. Although this guy obviously went a bit too far in self mutilation and does have serious mental problems, I think Tom got it right:

Quote:Any time you see an outrageous story, give the victim the benefit of the doubt, but so long as an investigation is pending, let the facts come out before jumping to conclusions.

I think some on this board need take this to heart.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 10:34 AM by QuestionSocratic.)
07-01-2015 10:33 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
Gee I'm shocked.

The gay community looking for even more sympathy? Imagine that. Just like the bullish lesbo waiters that lie about not getting tipped.
07-01-2015 10:40 AM
Advertisement

BEARCATDALE Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(07-01-2015 10:15 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Sure, the guy who lynched Shepard was Mormon, but that was the only violent outburst (admittedly spectacularly outrageous) I can remember from them.

Doesn't mean that bias crimes don't exist in the IM West (actually I was attacked in Colorado years ago - I fought them off) but this case didn't seem to fit the profile of this type of crime.

Are you referring to Matthew Shepard? From what I recall, that story was misrepresented as well. ABC news story and The Book of Matt present alternative views.

Also, not trying to bring up past pain for you, but how did you fight them off in your instance? Concealed carry? Strong words? Others with you? Just curious so others can also stop this from happening.
07-02-2015 06:52 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Gays should stop committing hate crimes.
07-02-2015 08:07 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Purse?
07-02-2015 08:09 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-02-2015 06:52 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 10:15 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Sure, the guy who lynched Shepard was Mormon, but that was the only violent outburst (admittedly spectacularly outrageous) I can remember from them.

Are you referring to Matthew Shepard? From what I recall, that story was misrepresented as well. ABC news story and The Book of Matt present alternative views.

Also, not trying to bring up past pain for you, but how did you fight them off in your instance? Concealed carry? Strong words? Others with you? Just curious so others can also stop this from happening.

It wasn't a meth deal. What happened to Shepard was accurately portrayed as the mainstream media reported it.

Physical force. I'm small but in shape and stronger than I look. My dad taught me how to fight. While my family was prominent, my dad did take civil rights cases, which could cause problems for the kids growing up in Alabama in the 70's. Not from polite society, but every once in a while, there'd be some trash from The Odore or North Mobile County that would come after us. He and I both know how to use guns but both really don't like being around them. Mine wasn't a Shepard case, but rather the case of some local morons looking to get their rocks off by rolling some queers.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2015 09:48 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
07-02-2015 09:46 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(07-02-2015 09:46 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

It wasn't a meth deal. What happened to Shepard was accurately portrayed as the mainstream media reported it.

Physical force. I'm small but in shape and stronger than I look. My dad taught me how to fight. While my family was prominent, my dad did take civil rights cases, which could cause problems for the kids growing up in Alabama in the 70's. Not from polite society, but every once in a while, there'd be some trash from The Odore or North Mobile County that would come after us. He and I both know how to use guns but both really don't like being around them. Mine wasn't a Shepard case, but rather the case of some local morons looking to get their rocks off by rolling some queers.

I'm sorry you went through that. I've always been against gay marriage, but it never even occurred to me to go "roll some queers". Why would anyone do that? That's a mental disorder, and I'm not using hyperbole.
07-02-2015 09:52 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-02-2015 09:52 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(07-02-2015 09:46 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

I'm sorry you went through that. I've always been against gay marriage, but it never even occurred to me to go "roll some queers". Why would anyone do that? That's a mental disorder, and I'm not using hyperbole.

To be honest, the scarring from that wasn't really that bad for me. I was more embarrassed that I didn't go to the cops because I was legitimately afraid that I would lose my job if I did press charges and my employer at the time found out I was gay. This was before the Oncale decision. It did have a good outcome. I printed up some resumes and marched up Smith Street on a couple lunch breaks and got a much better job with a much less anti-Gay company. Never worked for an anti-Gay company again. I realized that I was lucky to have the education I did. And that others probably had a lot less ability to deal with BS than I did. My God, that first company I worked for was awful. 80 hour weeks. Overt homophobic taunting over corporate emails. And the worst thing was...I wasn't even "out", but simply not hiding.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2015 10:10 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
07-02-2015 09:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.