Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EKU prez " Make No Small Plans" public meeting 6/30
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EKU, Louisville, NAVY
EKU prez " Make No Small Plans" public meeting 6/30
President Benson and the BOR's plans for EKU's future. This is just a few of the things mentioned last night. Notice that the east side (visitors side now in construction) shows a cost of 27 million NOT 15 as first reported. Also mentioned is a new practice facility as well as new baseball and softball stadiums. Very happy with the naming of a new baseball stadium as Earl Combs Stadium, who played for the Yankees, he was a very respected man (and family) in Richmond.
From today's Richmond Register:

Quote:The campus master plan calls for more than $215 million in new facilities in the next four to six years.
Some key points of the plan I include:

A $27 million east-side addition to Roy Kidd Stadium

• A $60 million center for student life

• Three new residence halls at $25 million each

• Up to $35 million to covert the Weaver Building into a new dining facility

• Up to $15 million for a wellness center/indoor practice facility

• Up to $7 million for other campus enhancements.

The last items include a baseball stadium to be named for Earle Combs, a former regents chair who was lead-off batter for the New York Yankees’ legendary “Murders Row,” and a softball stadium as well as a parking garage.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2015 11:25 AM by BeliefBlazer.)
07-01-2015 07:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: EKU prez " Make No Small Plans" public meeting 6/30
Nice improvements and just what is needed for serious consideration by the Sun Belt. My only question is about funding. I know the east stands are under construction but has funding been secured for the entire master plan?
07-01-2015 08:05 AM
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

(07-01-2015 08:05 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  Nice improvements and just what is needed for serious consideration by the Sun Belt. My only question is about funding. I know the east stands are under construction but has funding been secured for the entire master plan?

Dag, let's take one thing at a time. I could not post the link to the article ( sorry somewhat technological impaired). Dr.Benson does mention this in the article. I believe that he will get it done, a major campaign is in the works. I know one of the reasons he was hired was his fund raising abilities. He has also hired folks who can help us in the the state with their contacts. Let me just say, I am not privy to any inside info, but we have folks in place now with knowledge and abilities that we have not had in the past. Previously, it was the good ol' boy network and people who did not want to make waves or rock the boat, who were reluctant to criticize or stray from their safety net, their mantra seemed to be "we can't" , so we didn't.
07-01-2015 08:17 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
Here is the link to the article in printer friendly format - so you don't hsve to click through each page.

http://www.richmondregister.com/news/loc...mode=print

I'm a little surprised that EKU hasn't had more success fundraising before. Said $4 million is the most it has ever raised in a year and the president said they should be raising 3 times that. I'm presuming the $4 million includes the Dizney pledge for the new construction for the stadium.
07-01-2015 08:49 AM
Beltfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: best of SBC
Do you guys really feel that EKU is anywhere near ready to move up? I just find it hard to believe. Of course I do think they would be a much better fit than Liberty.
07-01-2015 08:50 AM
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

(07-01-2015 08:49 AM)rokamortis Wrote:  Here is the link to the article in printer friendly format - so you don't hsve to click through each page.

http://www.richmondregister.com/news/loc...mode=print

I'm a little surprised that EKU hasn't had more success fundraising before. Said $4 million is the most it has ever raised in a year and the president said they should be raising 3 times that. I'm presuming the $4 million includes the Dizney pledge for the new construction for the stadium.

Yelp, pathetic. See my comments regarding former administrations, just did not or could not or did not want to get it done! My belief, too much 'trouble' for them and beyond 'their' capabilities and/or vision.
07-01-2015 08:54 AM
Advertisement

LexColonel Offline
2nd String

(07-01-2015 08:50 AM)Beltfan Wrote:  Do you guys really feel that EKU is anywhere near ready to move up? I just find it hard to believe. Of course I do think they would be a much better fit than Liberty.

And who do you see is in any better position? Seriously, every other U mentioned has their weakness. I don't see ours as any worse than the others. Sure, Liberty has more money than Donald Trump, and can build the Taj Mahal, but there seems to be issues with them. You got to remember, IF we get the call we got what, 2 years to get our stadium where you want it. And that is underway. Honestly, I know our attendance is an issue, but last year we had 2 games that drug those numbers down the toilet...monsoon rain and cold and fall break. Not that they would have been great, but they would have been no worse than CCU (which everyone is giving a pass regarding attendance). We have said it over and over, no one cares about Austin Peay, Tennessee Martin and several others in the OVC.
07-01-2015 09:03 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
(07-01-2015 08:50 AM)Beltfan Wrote:  Do you guys really feel that EKU is anywhere near ready to move up? I just find it hard to believe. Of course I do think they would be a much better fit than Liberty.

This is a pretty bold move by the university-seems like anytime a university was preparing for a jump it came on the wave of massive Renovation and construction.

As I've stated before, they've had solid history on the grid iron and as they stand now their budget puts them right about middle, top third in the belt; most importantly they've been making the most noise about wanting to join the belt so I'm all for them joining up
07-01-2015 09:54 AM
All American

(07-01-2015 09:54 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  

This is a pretty bold move by the university-seems like anytime a university was preparing for a jump it came on the wave of massive Renovation and construction.

As I've stated before, they've had solid history on the grid iron and as they stand now their budget puts them right about middle, top third in the belt; most importantly they've been making the most noise about wanting to join the belt so I'm all for them joining up

+1

I like both EKU and Coastal but the only reason Coastal has the edge for me is soccer. I say add EKU after this season and Coastal after next in conjunction with NMSU. Idaho is cut lose and we are done 12/14.
07-01-2015 10:10 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(07-01-2015 07:48 AM)LexColonel Wrote:  President Benson and the BOR's plans for EKU's future. This is just a few of the things mentioned last night. Notice that the east side (visitors side now in construction) shows a cost of 27 million NOT 15 as first reported. Also mentioned is a new practice facility as well as new baseball and softball stadiums. Very happy with the naming of a new baseball stadium as Earl Combs Stadium, who played for the Yankees, he was a very respected man (and family) in Richmond.

Quote:The campus master plan calls for more than $215 million in new facilities in the next four to six years.

The last items include a baseball stadium to be named for Earle Combs, a former regents chair who was lead-off batter for the New York Yankees’ legendary “Murders Row,” and a softball stadium as well as a parking garage.

Whats going on with your basketball facilities?
07-01-2015 11:52 AM
All American

(07-01-2015 11:52 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 07:48 AM)LexColonel Wrote:  President Benson and the BOR's plans for EKU's future. This is just a few of the things mentioned last night. Notice that the east side (visitors side now in construction) shows a cost of 27 million NOT 15 as first reported. Also mentioned is a new practice facility as well as new baseball and softball stadiums. Very happy with the naming of a new baseball stadium as Earl Combs Stadium, who played for the Yankees, he was a very respected man (and family) in Richmond.

[Image: 140510eku-commencement-afternoon210.jpg]
Alumni Coliseum is not new but it's better than what some of us have in the Belt 03-weeping
07-01-2015 12:33 PM
Advertisement

LexColonel Offline
2nd String

JMO...but I think Alumni Coliseum is a nice arena. Some face lifting still needed, such as replacing more of the upper arena area bleacher seating with chair backs. A new floor, new lighting and a good sized video board were added last summer. The concourse could use brightening up a little. McBrayer Arena itself, seats 6500 fans, there is room for expansion. There is a natatorium inside Alumni as well as a large practice gym (this is where the expansion can happen when needed), coaches offices as well as other athletic offices are located below the actual arena, most have been remodeled. The Bratzke Center for athletes (academic support) is located here also The reason most EKU fans want to preserve Alumni is because the expansive wooden ceiling inside, it is unusual as well as beautiful. So basically, I think we are good with our basketball facility at present time. If you go to eku.edu and search for alumni coliseum updates/ remodel you can see photos. Using my iPad I cannot seem to add attachments, sorry.
07-01-2015 12:43 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
EKU is doing what they need to do. Don t be surprised to see them invited before next June 1. I will take them over Idaho any day.

My plan would be to do these things in this order:
1. Invite EKU and NMSU in Olympic sports.
2. Give Idaho notice that 2017!will be their last year in Belt for football.
3. Invite Coastal Carolina before June 1 2017.

It will take a couple years but you eventually you have a 12/14 setup.

Or if we want to downsize to 10 football teams let Idaho and NMSU both go after 2017'and invite EKU and be done. That is a 10/12 setup.

I would go for 12/14.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 12:45 PM by GaSoEagle.)
07-01-2015 12:44 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
(07-01-2015 12:33 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  

Alumni Coliseum is not new but it's better than what some of us have in the Belt 03-weeping

oh look a wall. 03-nutkick j/k
adding NMSU all-in and CCU and EKU. I think most SBC schools would be happy with that for a 12/14 split (weird part is the two non-football schools would both be in the west division). Then even if the SBC gets raided for 2 schools we can just sit tight and continue improving and not add anyone else.
07-01-2015 01:22 PM
alpha_eagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
[/quote]
[/quote]

The fish-eye lens pic doesn't do it justice. I played in several HS tournaments there and attended many a college bb game - including some really raucous OVC tournament championship games there in the late seventies/early eighties. Like the 'home' side of the FB stadium, Alumni Coliseum was a design ahead of its time and still looks great from both the outside and inside today. A few not-so-costly upgrades to seating and concourse areas would make it very, very nice for its size.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 01:51 PM by alpha_eagle.)
07-01-2015 01:51 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
My only reluctance to adding EKU is that their president is named Benson and our commissioner is named Benson...which would lead to an inordinate amount of corny jokes every time the two are in the same room.

Side note: EKU doesnt announce these plans without having a pretty good idea that something is coming on the horizon.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 03:38 PM by chiefsfan.)
07-01-2015 03:38 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU

Yes it's better than some but the SBC has some very good basketball arenas also. UTA has a great arena (best I seen in SBC or CUSA) and if they can fill it the noise will make it a hard place to win at. Troy did it right..small/compact but nice for their limited basketball fanbase (4th best behind UTSA, Western, UAB). UALR has a very nice arena...very good sight lines to watch a game (probably 6th best in SBC/CUSA). If UL-L could rearrange their seating to get them closer to the floor and a little lipstick the Cajundome would be a great basketball arena...a little too large but that was the model back when it was built.

EKU's Alumni Coliseum has the wall and needs updating but unless their fanbase grows by a ton I wouldn't change the character of the arena. Some very good players played there and a imposing place to play for the visiting team when they get a good crowd and the team gives them something to get in the game about. Some places needs a modern look and update..this is not one of those. Sometime the character of a building is just as important...as long as it fits your fanbase. This is one of those buildings.

If EKU joins the SBC add 2.5 seconds to your clock everytime you play a road basketball game there....

cost Western a trip to the NCAA tourney in our last year of the OVC because the game clock/horn did not go off till 2.5 seconds after time ran out. Well it did and the Western players stopped playing but the the time keeper said it didn't and EKU won on a shot 2.5 seconds after the game was over. About as bad as getting beat by 6 men on the court
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2015 09:39 AM by WKUYG.)
07-01-2015 03:51 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(07-01-2015 03:38 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Side note: EKU doesnt announce these plans without having a pretty good idea that something is coming on the horizon.

I don't think announcing this has anything to do with whether they get into the Sun Belt or not. My opinion has nothing to do with me being a Coastal fan - I just don't think there is a direct correlation. They may have the inside track and get in, but they have to announce their master plan anyway, even if they wanted to stay FCS. Most of the facilities are non-athletic and are needed for EKU to take the next step as a university and is a result of a comprehensive planning process.

These are plans that require funds. They are being visionary and showing leadership - inspiring their constituents. This sets the stage for a massive fundraising campaign where they are going to ask people to dig deep to give.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 03:52 PM by rokamortis.)
07-01-2015 03:52 PM
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

Quote:WKUYG wrote:

If EKU joins the SBC add 2.5 seconds to your clock everytime you play a road basketball game there....

cost Western a trip to the NCAA tourney in our last year of the OVC because the game clock/horn did not go off till 2.5 seconds after time ran out. Well it did and the Western players stopped playing but the the time keeper said it didn't and EKU won on a shot 2.5 seconds after the game was over. About as bad as getting beat by 6 men on the court

Lol...still whining after all those years...03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-hissyfit
I remember a football game the year before in BG, that Western won on a call when they missed a field goal. We get a phantom 'off sides' or some kind of phantom penalty, so Western gets a second chance, kicks a winning field goal after time expires.....
Yelp. I was at both games. Depends on which side you were rooting for and how you see the incident(s)....you know as we use to say, wruck festern! Sorry, could not resist, been a long time since I've thought of that...these things and the close proximity of EKU to Western, made for some intense games. I would be lying if I said I did not miss the fun!
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 06:05 PM by LexColonel.)
07-01-2015 04:55 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(07-01-2015 03:51 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  

Yes it's better than some but the SBC has some very good basketball arenas also. UTSA has a great arena (best I seen in SBC or CUSA) and if they can fill it the noise will make it a hard place to win at. Troy did it right..small/compact but nice for their limited basketball fanbase (4th best behind UTSA, Western, UAB). UALR has a very nice arena...very good sight lines to watch a game (probably 6th best in SBC/CUSA). If UL-L could rearrange their seating to get them closer to the floor and a little lipstick the Cajundome would be a great basketball arena...a little too large but that was the model back when it was built.

EKU's Alumni Coliseum has the wall and needs updating but unless their fanbase grows by a ton I wouldn't change the character of the arena. Some very good players played there and a imposing place to play for the visiting team when they get a good crowd and the team gives them something to get in the game about. Some places needs a modern look and update..this is not one of those. Sometime the character of a building is just as important...as long as it fits your fanbase. This is one of those buildings.

UTSA? ?? I believe you mean U T A . . . .
07-01-2015 05:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.