Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

There are no Protestants on the SCOTUS.
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Minorities go ballistic when their representation on city councils does not equate to their numbers in the general population. And even though a majority of Americans are non-Catholic Christians, we have no voice on the Supreme Court.

Just another reason to not take anything seriously that comes out of Washington, DC.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2015 07:51 PM by UConn-SMU.)
06-26-2015 07:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: There are no Protestants on the SCOTUS.
(06-26-2015 07:50 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  Minorities go ballistic when their representation on city councils does not equate to their numbers in the general population. And even though a majority of Americans are non-Catholic Christians, we have no voice on the Supreme Court.

Just another reason to not take anything seriously that comes out of Washington, DC.

Isn't Kennedy Episcopal (or Presbyterian)? I've seen a site claiming he is Catholic, but I've seen different elsewhere. But after over a century with no Catholics or Jews, the Supreme Court is 5 Catholics, 3 Jews and at most, 1 liberal protestant.

All 9 of the Supreme Court Justices attended Harvard or Yale Law School (Ginsburg later transferred to Princeton).

4 of the justices were born in NY, 2 in NJ, 2 in CA and 1 in GA.

6 of the 9 spent nearly all their careers in Boston, New York or DC. 2 others coupled their northeast time with some time in Chicago. Kennedy is the only one who spent substantial time elsewhere (California).
06-26-2015 08:01 PM
UConn-SMU Offline

(06-26-2015 08:01 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(06-26-2015 07:50 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  Minorities go ballistic when their representation on city councils does not equate to their numbers in the general population. And even though a majority of Americans are non-Catholic Christians, we have no voice on the Supreme Court.

Isn't Kennedy Episcopal (or Presbyterian)? I've seen a site claiming he is Catholic, but I've seen different elsewhere. But after over a century with no Catholics or Jews, the Supreme Court is 5 Catholics, 3 Jews and at most, 1 liberal protestant.

All 9 of the Supreme Court Justices attended Harvard or Yale Law School (Ginsburg later transferred to Princeton).

6 of the 9 spent nearly all their careers in Boston, New York or DC. 2 others coupled their northeast time with some time in Chicago. Kennedy is the only one who spent substantial time elsewhere (California).

Not very "diverse".
06-26-2015 08:04 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(06-26-2015 08:04 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  

Not very "diverse".

Yes, its something that's concerned me for a while. Regardless of their gender or skin color, they're a lot alike.
06-26-2015 08:07 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

WSJ had an article a few years back bemoaning the loss of Sandra Day O'Connor. She was from the west. With the vast public lands, there are just issues people in the east can't comprehend (kind of like the northerners who think everyone who likes a rebel flag is racist).

And there are different perspectives and ways of approaching things.
06-26-2015 08:09 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall

Wnen are we going to get a justice from The Brooklyn Academy of Law?

[Image: bs2.gif]

Seriously, isn't this elitist BS that liberals rail against? Can't someone be a SCOTUS justice without and IVY League education?
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2015 08:17 PM by THE NC Herd Fan.)
06-26-2015 08:15 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

They rejected Harriet Miers (Bush nominee) who was a Dallasite who went to SMU Law School (good school) and who had experience in a law firm with substantial corporate work.
Now she was rejected by both Republicans and Democrats.
06-26-2015 08:29 PM
dawgitall Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU

Mr. Smith: Mr. Jones, are you a religious man?
Mr. Jones: I certainly am NOT!.......I'm an Episcopalian.
06-26-2015 08:33 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Perhaps we should co-opt something from Tennessee and require a regional distribution of justices:

Region I - AK, HI, CA, WA, OR, NV, ID, UT, AZ, MT, GU
Region II - WY, CO, NM, TX, OK, KS, NE, SD, ND, LA
Region III - MN, IA, MO, AR, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, KY
Region IV - MS, AL, FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, TN, PR, DC, MD
Region V - PA, NJ, DE, NY, VT, NH, ME, CT, RI, MA

Each region has a minimum of one and maximum of two justices.
06-27-2015 02:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Anddddd, we all know that those pinnacles of learning are so right leaning, don't we? NOT.
06-27-2015 02:58 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: RE: There are no Protestants on the SCOTUS.
(06-27-2015 02:52 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Perhaps we should co-opt something from Tennessee and require a regional distribution of justices:

They could debate each other and hsve a judge playoff system
06-28-2015 04:11 PM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
No protestors against christianity.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2015 04:53 PM by firmbizzle.)
06-28-2015 04:52 PM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Quote:Isn't Kennedy Episcopal (or Presbyterian)?

Nope, he's Catholic, which means that there are 6 Catholics and 3 Jews on the Court.

Based on what some folks on here regularly post, they would conclude that there are no Christians on the Court.
06-28-2015 06:18 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(06-27-2015 02:52 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Perhaps we should co-opt something from Tennessee and require a regional distribution of justices:

Nobody from UA-Tuscaloosa Law. They've populated the legislature for a hundred years and we lead the nation in college football and children smokers.
06-28-2015 06:27 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
And there are no atheists. And there are no trannies. And there are no autistic. And there are no veterans. And there are no disabled. And there are no Buddist. And there are no Daoist. And...... and...... and.........

I get your point ... but the argument to go with here isn't complaining that some other group isn't represented .... it is to point out how petty, inane, and stupid it is to demand what is an impossibility even if you think it is worthy of merit (which it isn't): represent the entire population in 7 people.
06-28-2015 08:27 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(06-26-2015 08:15 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  

Wnen are we going to get a justice from The Brooklyn Academy of Law?

[Image: bs2.gif]

Seriously, isn't this elitist BS that liberals rail against? Can't someone be a SCOTUS justice without and IVY League education?

You can be a justice with no Ivy League education, but there would have to be a quick and large showing of negative public sentiment to avoid it.
06-28-2015 08:30 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
It would seem to me that a reasonable approach would be to have 11 judges with a requirement that one comes from each of the 11 federal judicial districts. The problem would be transition, not the least issue being that no democrats are going to allow an R president to appoint 2 incremental justices, and vice versa for a D president. Maybe let each party appoint one in transition. The other problem is that obviously the justices don't come from there now, so you'd maybe have to do something like designate each one as notionally representing a particular district and then when that justice retires the replacement must come from that district.

There are technically 13 districts, the 11 nominal ones plus the DC Circuit and and the Federal Circuit. Geographically, DC is within the 4th Circuit, so you could just assign those courts to that circuit.
06-28-2015 08:45 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(06-28-2015 06:27 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

Nobody from UA-Tuscaloosa Law. They've populated the legislature for a hundred years and we lead the nation in college football and children smokers.
Alabama would be in the same region as the District of Columbia (Georgetown) and Virginia (UVa). I don't think you would have anything to worry about.
06-28-2015 08:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UConn-SMU Offline

(06-28-2015 08:27 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  And there are no atheists. And there are no trannies. And there are no autistic. And there are no veterans. And there are no disabled. And there are no Buddist. And there are no Daoist. And...... and...... and.........

I get your point ... but the argument to go with here isn't complaining that some other group isn't represented .... it is to point out how petty, inane, and stupid it is to demand what is an impossibility even if you think it is worthy of merit (which it isn't): represent the entire population in 7 people.

That was my point. I'd like to have half the court Protestant; the country is at least 50% Protestant and to have none on the court seems absurd. That's still not a big deal to me. But you know if we didn't have a black, Jew, Hispanic, or woman on the court there would be hell to pay.

People are so petty.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2015 09:44 PM by UConn-SMU.)
06-28-2015 09:42 PM
dawgitall Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
(06-28-2015 09:42 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(06-28-2015 08:27 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  And there are no atheists. And there are no trannies. And there are no autistic. And there are no veterans. And there are no disabled. And there are no Buddist. And there are no Daoist. And...... and...... and.........

That was my point. I'd like to have half the court Protestant; the country is at least 50% Protestant and to have none on the court seems absurd. That's still not a big deal to me. But you know if we didn't have a black, Jew, Hispanic, or woman on the court there would be hell to pay.

People are so petty.

Is C Thomas Jewish or Catholic?
06-28-2015 09:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.