Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice Fan Experience Committee
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
Quote:Rice Athletics is actively recruiting some of its most passionate followers to become directly involved in the continuing efforts to upgrade and enhance the fan experience through the creation of the Owl Fan Experience Committee, which was announced on Wednesday.

"This is a great opportunity for Owl fans to have their voices heard," said Jana Woodson, Associate AD for Marketing. "The Owl Fan Experience Committee gives our fans a personal connection to Rice Athletics to allow for direct input on various aspects of the fan experience, both on game days and beyond."

The committee of 15-20 members will be drawn from season ticket holders, donors, students, Rice faculty and staff, corporate partners, as well as those who are fans of the Owls. The group will meet quarterly, with the first meeting taking place in early August.

The committee will collaborate closely with the athletics marketing staff as well as other departments to identify new initiatives as well as refine existing elements at all Owls venues in order to heighten the gameday experience for all fans. Topics of discussion will include pregame activities, tailgating, in-game activities, concessions, season ticket holder benefits, communications, and student engagement across all Owls athletic events.

Members of the committee will be selected through a short application process. Candidates must be at least 18 years of age and willing to attend four meetings during the 2015-16 athletic calendar. Each member will be expected to bring notes and ideas to be presented at each meeting during an open discussion forum.

Deadline to apply for the Fan Experience Committee is 5 p.m. on July 10th.

For questions contact Jana Woodson, Associate Athletics Director for Marketing, at jana.r.woodson@rice.edu.
http://www.riceowls.com/sports/marketing...15aab.html
06-24-2015 01:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: Rice Fan Experience Committee
(06-24-2015 01:09 PM)dragon2owl Wrote:  
Quote:Rice Athletics is actively recruiting some of its most passionate followers to become directly involved in the continuing efforts to upgrade and enhance the fan experience through the creation of the Owl Fan Experience Committee, which was announced on Wednesday.

"This is a great opportunity for Owl fans to have their voices heard," said Jana Woodson, Associate AD for Marketing. "The Owl Fan Experience Committee gives our fans a personal connection to Rice Athletics to allow for direct input on various aspects of the fan experience, both on game days and beyond."

The committee of 15-20 members will be drawn from season ticket holders, donors, students, Rice faculty and staff, corporate partners, as well as those who are fans of the Owls. The group will meet quarterly, with the first meeting taking place in early August.

The committee will collaborate closely with the athletics marketing staff as well as other departments to identify new initiatives as well as refine existing elements at all Owls venues in order to heighten the gameday experience for all fans. Topics of discussion will include pregame activities, tailgating, in-game activities, concessions, season ticket holder benefits, communications, and student engagement across all Owls athletic events.

Members of the committee will be selected through a short application process. Candidates must be at least 18 years of age and willing to attend four meetings during the 2015-16 athletic calendar. Each member will be expected to bring notes and ideas to be presented at each meeting during an open discussion forum.

Deadline to apply for the Fan Experience Committee is 5 p.m. on July 10th.

For questions contact Jana Woodson, Associate Athletics Director for Marketing, at jana.r.woodson@rice.edu.
http://www.riceowls.com/sports/marketing...15aab.html

Hopefully they succeed in getting a good cross-section of Rice fans from all age groups and affiliations.
06-24-2015 01:16 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
I'm out of town, but I'll repost this from the EZF Construction thre3ad in case on e of ya'll gets on the committee and wishes to bring it up as a template for a new Roost on the upper stands to bring in more general football fans from the area to use the excess space in our stadium:

(01-26-2015 07:59 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Former conference-mate UCF doing something interesting in their Stadium:

Time for Rice to put a Hooters in Rice Stadium to lure ticket-buyers and patrons?

Dr. Saturday
UCF stadium expansion includes new 10,000-square foot beach bar
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-s...38023.html
By Sam Cooper Monday, January 26, 2015

UCF announced Monday that it is expanding Bright House Networks Stadium with a new feature that will create one of the more unique environments in all of college football.

[Image: esc-splashpage012615.jpg] (via UCF athletics)

That new feature is the East Side Club (ESC), a “10,000 square-foot, Florida-themed social area and lounge located between the 30-yard lines.” According to a release, it will feature “chair-back stadium seating, as well as an open-air sun deck to enjoy the game.” Additionally, “refreshments, televisions, private restrooms and other amenities” will be available.

It is expected to be ready for the Knights’ first game on Sept. 5. Here’s what it will look like:

[Image: 10723202.jpeg] (via UCF athletics)

[Image: 96688e00-a587-11e4-81e6-13c24a9c043e_Scr...-12-PM.png] (via UCF athletics)

“The ESC gives us an opportunity to expand our premium experience offerings,” UCF Vice President and Director of Athletics Todd Stansbury said. “The Florida-themed ESC gives us an opportunity to reinforce our location, which I believe is a major asset. The ESC will provide a window into the UCF and Central Florida culture and personality to potential students, recruits, fans, friends and supporters.”

[Image: 1f2a5200-a588-11e4-8f9b-7f19c8ea3aed_Scr...-39-PM.png] (via UCF athletics)

The ESC, which has a capacity of 950, will also feature “pre and post-game hours.” According to the Orlando Sentinel, club members who “pay premium access to the new beach bar” will be allowed to bring their alcoholic beverages to their seats, an amenity not available at the stadium since it opened in 2007.

Per the Sentinel, school officials say the project will cost $2.6 million.

[Image: original.jpg?fm=pjpg&auto=format]

[Image: original.jpg?fm=pjpg&auto=format]

For more UCF news, visit UCFSports.com.

Comments:

[Who Me] I thought you couldn't have alcohol in college stadiums. When did that rule change?

[Brandon] Not an NCAA rule. Institutional level. While most colleges don't allow it, there are a few that do.

[Who Me] Thanks, I didn't know that. I thought it was an NCAA rule.
06-24-2015 01:48 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
This is great. This AD and his staff continue to do things to improve athletics that should have been done many years ago. They're doing everything they can to improve things.
06-24-2015 01:51 PM
ChicagoOwl (BS '07) Offline
1st String

I Root For: YOU!
(06-24-2015 01:48 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  I'm out of town, but I'll repost this from the EZF Construction thre3ad in case on e of ya'll gets on the committee and wishes to bring it up as a template for a new Roost on the upper stands to bring in more general football fans from the area to use the excess space in our stadium:

Wow, this is *extremely* cool and innovative and fun. Really wish we could do something similar.
Perhaps Hambone's idea of going all-electronic fits here. Play up our academic angle and give a section a "Nerd Alert" theme. On the TV's of a bar put up CNN Money or something. Free wifi. Nerd-themed drinks.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 03:09 PM by ChicagoOwl (BS '07).)
06-24-2015 03:06 PM
RiceBull Offline
2nd String

Better be cautious about over emphasizing the nerd theme. I don't know if nerds even want to be catered to for their nerdiness. Definitely visiting recruits could be turned off. The students just might find enjoyment going to a game they know little about and screaming their lungs out. Lets encourage the 12th man to participate in intimidating the opposition. Nerds can get behind that.
06-24-2015 05:40 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(06-24-2015 03:06 PM)ChicagoOwl (BS 07) Wrote:  
(06-24-2015 01:48 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  I'm out of town, but I'll repost this from the EZF Construction thre3ad in case on e of ya'll gets on the committee and wishes to bring it up as a template for a new Roost on the upper stands to bring in more general football fans from the area to use the excess space in our stadium:

Wow, this is *extremely* cool and innovative and fun. Really wish we could do something similar.
Perhaps Hambone's idea of going all-electronic fits here. Play up our academic angle and give a section a "Nerd Alert" theme. On the TV's of a bar put up CNN Money or something. Free wifi. Nerd-themed drinks.

I'd start with functional bathrooms and shorter concession lines. Basics first
06-24-2015 07:12 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Nerd this: text us your concession stand order and we'll BRING it to you. (Better yet, order and pay on the OwlSnax app). Boom, no more concession lines.

Bathrooms OTOH- there's not an app for THAT.

BTW, I like many of the great ideas that have been posted on here. If perchance I happen to be selected to the committee, I would most certainly be bringing them forward and soliciting here for more.

Bottom line is that with A LOT of hard work, creative marketing, and social media push, we can create a unique and amazing "big-time" game day experience for all of our sports.
06-24-2015 10:15 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
additional idea for Rice Stadium Fan Experience, courtesy NIU: next time turf needs changing (I believe we just did it), consider borrowing some from this (the state outline in shadow of Texas behind the OER would help with national branding in both football and Basketball for televised games):

[Image: CGIFEB0VAAAXAKD.jpg]
Source- larger image here

Also, perhaps find a prominent place for the various college shield logos, maybe on the "tub wall' where the sine waves were painted over.

I'd like to see each player wear a small decal or patch of their college shield on their uniforms/helmets as well, but I don't know if NCAA rules permit it. Would work for basketball and baseball unis as well, if permitted. Something additional for announcers to talk about and help set Rice apart from regular schools' experiences, especially if the media game materials highlighted it for the announcers during their research.
06-25-2015 03:09 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

(06-25-2015 03:09 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  additional idea for Rice Stadium Fan Experience, courtesy NIU: next time turf needs changing (I believe we just did it), consider borrowing some from this (the state outline in shadow of Texas behind the OER would help with national branding in both football and Basketball for televised games):

[Image: CGIFEB0VAAAXAKD.jpg]
Source- larger image here

Also, perhaps find a prominent place for the various college shield logos, maybe on the "tub wall' where the sine waves were painted over.

I'd like to see each player wear a small decal or patch of their college shield on their uniforms/helmets as well, but I don't know if NCAA rules permit it. Would work for basketball and baseball unis as well, if permitted. Something additional for announcers to talk about and help set Rice apart from regular schools' experiences, especially if the media game materials highlighted it for the announcers during their research.

I really like the idea about having the Texas outline behind the OER. That'd look very cool, especially on a basketball court (It works for football too, just not sure camera angles are as favorable for making it look cool).

On the subject of the colleges thing, NO! In my view, the residential college system is one of the biggest problems facing Rice Athletics in terms of student interest. Students identify with their college more than they do with the university. They already do the college flags at the beginning of football games, and they are on the wall in Tudor. To have them on the uniform or helmet would be stupid IMO, and make us look childish. Could you have imagined Eli Manning having a Sigma Nu sticker on his helmet when he was at Ole Miss? He would've been lampooned nationally.
06-25-2015 03:36 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
I have to agree on the residential college logos. Keep the unis clean and simple. One team, one look. We don't need "extras" confusing the casual viewer.

When I first read the proposal about adding a patch, it made me think of the golfers this past weekend at the US Open with multiple sponsor logos on their hats, shirts (front, back, both breasts, sleeves, etc.). It's just too much and distracting.
06-25-2015 03:43 PM
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(06-25-2015 03:43 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  I have to agree on the residential college logos. Keep the unis clean and simple. One team, one look. We don't need "extras" confusing the casual viewer.

When I first read the proposal about adding a patch, it made me think of the golfers this past weekend at the US Open with multiple sponsor logos on their hats, shirts (front, back, both breasts, sleeves, etc.). It's just too much and distracting.

Agree...last thing we need is a NASCAR look.
06-25-2015 04:14 PM
RiceBull Offline
2nd String

I always thought it would be cool if the students would enter the stadium wearing their college colors and then once the game starts switch to Blue and Gray to symbolize campus unity.
06-25-2015 04:26 PM
That Guy 2012 Offline
1st String

We had college helmet stickers not too long ago. A white sticker no more than 2" in diameter on the back of the helmet with the crest printed on. Extremely unobtrusive. It reminds me a bit of the division patches worn by the service academy teams.
06-25-2015 04:51 PM
Wiessman Away
All American

(06-25-2015 04:26 PM)RiceBull Wrote:  I always thought it would be cool if the students would enter the stadium wearing their college colors and then once the game starts switch to Blue and Gray to symbolize campus unity.

I floated this very idea to another member of this board seven years ago. I still like it, but it would require a very coordinated effort by the colleges.
06-25-2015 04:57 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
Two very different views on the college emblems:

(06-25-2015 03:36 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Could you have imagined Eli Manning having a Sigma Nu sticker on his helmet when he was at Ole Miss?

(06-25-2015 04:51 PM)That Guy 2012 Wrote:  It reminds me a bit of the division patches worn by the service academy teams.

If done right, I think it would be more like the latter -- rarely noticed, but a good conversation starter when it is notice. But it would have to done really, really, REALLY right.
06-25-2015 05:44 PM
Advertisement

austinowl73 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice, the Phils

New Orleans Bowl
(06-24-2015 07:12 PM)Antarius Wrote:  
(06-24-2015 03:06 PM)ChicagoOwl (BS 07) Wrote:  

I'd start with functional bathrooms and shorter concession lines. Basics first

Dang Antarius next you will want egg in your beer. With the current concessions no one would want to consume food and drink at rhe stadium which is a way of dealing with the bathroom situation.
06-25-2015 05:48 PM
CrabCake Away
2nd String

I Root For: Underdogs
Although the idea of having a college crest included in the uniform would be something unique, I, too, think it could be more of a distraction than a conversation starter.
06-25-2015 08:57 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
Fly the flags of each college around the stadium. Big ones. Also fly the flags of each CUSA member, like we did when we were in the SWC. Familiarize everyone with our fellow members. Flags privide a lot of color, have purpose, and add a lot to the gameday atmosphere. I never enter the stadium without mine.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2015 09:15 PM by Afflicted.)
06-25-2015 09:10 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

(06-25-2015 09:10 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  Fly the flags of each college around the stadium. Big ones. Also fly the flags of each CUSA member, like we did when we were in the SWC. Familiarize everyone with our fellow members. Flags privide a lot of color, have purpose, and add a lot to the gameday atmosphere. I never enter the stadium without mine.

The flags do fly at the stadium, on game day for sure.
06-25-2015 09:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.